Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th January 2017 03:34 PM

I saw La La Land at the cinema earlier today and absolutely loved it. The cinematography and music, both scored and played by Ryan Gosling, is wonderful and the film reminded me a little of The Artist which also, in a very different way, was a love letter to a bygone era of Hollywood. Both Gosling and Emma Stone are brilliant in the lead roles and there is a prominent supporting role for John Legend, who also wrote and performed a song in his role as the lead singer of a band.

The film certainly has similarities with Whiplash, the previous movie by writer/director Damien Chazelle, and there is a small role for J. K. Simmons which I thought was funny because his character is against jazz! It looks stunning with the 2.55:1 ratio which stretches out from a 1.33:1 opening to really expand the screen and the vibrant colours are a wonder to behold, so it is probably best seen at the cinema if you get the chance.

trebor8273 15th January 2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 517371)
I saw La La Land at the cinema earlier today and absolutely loved it. The cinematography and music, both scored and played by Ryan Gosling, is wonderful and the film reminded me a little of The Artist which also, in a very different way, was a love letter to a bygone era of Hollywood. Both Gosling and Emma Stone are brilliant in the lead roles and there is a prominent supporting role for John Legend, who also wrote and performed a song in his role as the lead singer of a band.

The film certainly has similarities with Whiplash, the previous movie by writer/director Damien Chazelle, and there is a small role for J. K. Simmons which I thought was funny because his character is against jazz! It looks stunning with the 2.55:1 ratio which stretches out from a 1.33:1 opening to really expand the screen and the vibrant colours are a wonder to behold, so it is probably best seen at the cinema if you get the chance.

I'll probably go and see it again as I enjoyed so much. Everyone should go and see it even if you're not a fan of musical's

trebor8273 15th January 2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 517370)
Have you ever seen Guyver: Dark Hero? It ups the gore quotient nicely. :nod:

Yep, probably why I found this disappointing.

keirarts 15th January 2017 05:10 PM

Buio omega

Joe D'amato takes on Psycho with this outrageously twisted little flick where a grief stricken young fella digs up the love of his life and uses his skills with taxidermy to keep her fresh. It kicks off a necrophilia fetish that means he starts bringing girls home to screw by proxy of his dead missus.This also leads into him being blackmailed into a pseudo-incestuous relationship with his guardian who raised him after his parents died. Overall then its pretty messed up.
Weirdly its also one of Joe D'amato better films. As grim as it is its all well orchestrated, the gore is good and the score from Goblin is terrific. So while its one of those films you hope the kids don't find and watch its worth having in your collection if you dig Italian sleaze.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th January 2017 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Colony (2013)

Laurence Fishburne and Bill Paxton head the cast of this horror thriller about a group of survivors living in underground facilities following the last ice age. Eeking out an existence they discover other survivors across the great chasm and head out to find them only to discover them dead at the hands of a band of cannibalistic mutants who pursue them back to their base as a fight for survival ensues.

Following a fairly run of the mill opening half hour this action thriller gets into it's stride. Fishburne is naturally heroic and Paxton comes on with the slimy untrustworthiness act only he can do.

The film has quite high production values with good CGI which creates a very chilly snowbound environment and a set piece on a suspension bridge proves very suspenseful. Admittedly the film does fall into the 28 Days Later meets Doomsday trap in the final third as the real carnage erupts and there is a sense of having seen it all before, but on the whole The Colony is a pleasing enough time waster.

trebor8273 15th January 2017 07:22 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwRBqi72D7A

A group of old collage friends meet up every couple of years, while talking one night they decide to play dead Mary( bloody Mary), she soon arrives killing and possession them and turn them against each other. Was expecting a very poor knock off, of evil dead from the cover but we get a decent cross between evil dead and Candy man. Acting is good to poor but is well directed with some good effects and comes of as more expensive movie than it probably cost. Well worth the £1.27 I paid or even £1.81 it is now on amazon. 7/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th January 2017 07:27 PM

Trebor.

May i just say in my role as a forum moderator how pleasing it is to see you now writing a few lines about the films you watch.

It's much more rewarding for the reader this way. :thankingyou:

:ilovecultlabs:

trebor8273 15th January 2017 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517408)
Trebor.

May i just say in my role as a forum moderator how pleasing it is to see you now writing a few lines about the films you watch.

A lot of the time I watch so many in a row and when I decide to do a review as I've watch so many I just can't be bothered to do more than a score and half the time I don't know what to say, especially if its something popular and its been reviewd /discussed a million times and I'll not even bother reviewing a film if Frankie's giving one of his brilliant reviews to a film I've just seen. It would Shakespeare next to peter and Jane books!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th January 2017 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517408)
Trebor.

Seconded. The more someone has to say about what they say, the better.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th January 2017 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 517411)
A lot of the time I watch so many in a row and when I decide to do a review as I've watch so many I just can't be bothered to do more than a score and half the time I don't know what to say, especially if its something popular and its been reviewd /discussed a million times and I'll not even bother reviewing a film if Frankie's giving one of his brilliant reviews to a film I've just seen. It would Shakespeare next to peter and Jane books!

I know for one that the Inspector reads Peter and Jane books. :peep: