Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 17th March 2010 09:00 PM

Couldn't agree more BE! I wasn't expecting Christopher Lee to voice anything in this so that was a nice surprise. It seemed like it was a colour by numbers Burton film - odd, strange characters, Johnny Depp etc - but one where someone had coloured out of the lines ending in a mess.

I think I'll stick with the animated Disney version!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th March 2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 67641)
Couldn't agree more BE! I wasn't expecting Christopher Lee to voice anything in this so that was a nice surprise. It seemed like it was a colour by numbers Burton film - odd, strange characters, Johnny Depp etc - but one where someone had coloured out of the lines ending in a mess.

I think I'll stick with the animated Disney version!

Good choice mate! :nod: :biggrin:

pedromonkey 17th March 2010 09:21 PM

just sat throught 127 minutes of Twilight New Moon, What a wanky film. The girl in it is such a pussy, one minutes she wants some vampire loving then she wants some werewolf loving, whats next some mutant Pirahna man Loving. The strange this is, even though this film is wank, i want to see Twilight Eclipse now because the this one ends on a cliffhanger. I feel like a 14 year old EMO girl.

Gojirosan 17th March 2010 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 67553)
Too Late The Hero

Not Robert Aldrich's best war film (that would be Attack) but still enjoyable, if overlong. Good to see familiar faces such as Ronald Fraser, Percy Herbert, Harry Andrews and (of course) Sam Kydd though Ian Bannen is wasted in a frivolous role. Curious casting for Lance Percival too.

Harshly X-rated when originally released though probably due to the then unavailabilty of the 'AA' certificate. Entertaining thick-eared stuff with a fine Gerald Fried score.

After Cross Of Iron and Attack!, Too Late The Hero is my favourite WWII film...so my third favourite...you get what I mean! :lol:

vincenzo 17th March 2010 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 67592)
I always remember just how revolting a creature Ronald Fraser was as well.

He also worked with Aldrich in Flight Of The Phoenix and Killing Of Sister George. He was an odious git in the latter as well though he ends up falling foul to a tanked up Beryl Reid. :laugh:

42ndStreetFreak 17th March 2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 67674)
He also worked with Aldrich in Flight Of The Phoenix and Killing Of Sister George. He was an odious git in the latter as well though he ends up falling foul to a tanked up Beryl Reid. :laugh:

Just to point out I meant his character, not him personally! LOL!

OOOOOOH! I loves me a bit of "Sister George". Reid is fantastic and that scene...is still damn sexy.

vincenzo 18th March 2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 67677)
OOOOOOH! I loves me a bit of "Sister George". Reid is fantastic and that scene...is still damn sexy.

Me too. It's a deliberately paced film but all the better for it. Reid is absolutely phenomenal, York never looked lovelier, and Coral Browne's performance was excellent.

MaximumRD 18th March 2010 02:54 PM

I watched Romero's Survival of the Dead. Eh, it was about what I expected.

vincenzo 18th March 2010 03:08 PM

The Wild Geese

Revisited these after Too Late The Hero, and it's hard to think of a more perfect film than this. It just seems to look better every time. Not a bad performance in it and it's sad to think that, of the main stars, only Roger Moore & Hardy Kruger are still with us.

Admittedly Joan Armourplating's theme song should have been sent to oblivion but why carp when everything else is so good (including a brief appearance by a short-skirted Suzanne Danielle). Would this film have worked with the originally cast Burt Lancaster (as Janders), Stephen Boyd (as the RSM) or Joseph Cotten (as Sir Edward)? No, I don't think so.

[spoiler]The death scenes of the main characters are also deeply moving. Especially Harris, Kruger (who drools a bit too much for my liking) & Jack Watson. Even the graphic stabbing of the heroic Kenneth Griffith is horrific and disturbing. The look on Burton's face as he holds the hand of the dead Limbani is sheer brilliance.[/spoiler]

Films like this are impossible to improve upon. It's what great movies are all about.

Wild Geese II

Let's get this out of the way quick. A great big steaming turd of a film with no redeeming features whatsoever, and an insult to the movie that shares its title. Wild Geese? No, more like Vile Turkey.

I can find nothing good about this atrocious mess. A badly acted, badly scripted misfire that doesn't even waste a good cast (because it isn't). Richard Burton died before making this (bet it was just an excuse) and the role (which wasn't in the book anyway as the Burton character was killed off in the original novel) was rewritten as his brother (mercenaries run high in the family) and given to a hopelessly miscast Edward Fox ("Thanks for the party, chaps. Wouldn't have missed it for the world") who seemed as threatening as a one-legged stoat. Stratford Johns sweats a lot as a fat Arab ("By jove sir, I like your style") and as for Laurence Olivier.... well, this is on par with Inchon and The Jazz Singer ("I hef no son!") as his most lamentable performance.

Absolute bilge.

42ndStreetFreak 18th March 2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 67808)
The Wild Geese

Revisited these after Too Late The Hero, and it's hard to think of a more perfect film than this. It just seems to look better every time. Not a bad performance in it and it's sad to think that, of the main stars, only Roger Moore & Hardy Kruger are still with us.

Admittedly Joan Armourplating's theme song should have been sent to oblivion but why carp when everything else is so good (including a brief appearance by a short-skirted Suzanne Danielle). Would this film have worked with the originally cast Burt Lancaster (as Janders), Stephen Boyd (as the RSM) or Joseph Cotten (as Sir Edward)? No, I don't think so.

[spoiler]The death scenes of the main characters are also deeply moving. Especially Harris, Kruger (who drools a bit too much for my liking) & Jack Watson. Even the graphic stabbing of the heroic Kenneth Griffith is horrific and disturbing. The look on Burton's face as he holds the hand of the dead Limbani is sheer brilliance.[/spoiler]

Films like this are impossible to improve upon. It's what great movies are all about.

Words, took, out, my, right, the, mouth, of!!

Perfectly put!
And Griffith is a joy! "My my, look at the size of you big bastards"!:tongue1:

Quote:

Wild Geese II

Richard Burton died before making this (bet it was just an excuse)
LMAO! :lol: :thumb: