Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

vincenzo 17th March 2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 67340)
And coming soon from the makers of Shark Vs Octpuss is Mega Piranha,starring the other pop princess of the eighties,Tiffany. (yum yum)

Whatever next. How about Invasion Of Mega Cod-In-Batter starring Alison Moyet & Howard Jones? :madgrin:

Stephen@Cult Labs 17th March 2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 67478)
Whatever next. How about Invasion Of Mega Cod-In-Batter starring Alison Moyet & Howard Jones? :madgrin:

I'd buy that for a dollar! And that's probably how much it would cost to make. :pound:

nekromantik 17th March 2010 11:22 AM

Saw Zombies of Mass Destruction last night.

Was a good zombie-com, not as good as Zombieland by any stretch but had some really funni moments inc the "comming out" scene :lol:
Its a fun lil flick to watch if your bored.

vincenzo 17th March 2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 67480)
I'd buy that for a dollar! And that's probably how much it would cost to make. :pound:

You'd grow weak in the presence of beauty. :dance:

(it had to be said. I shall now go and catch a goo-goo)...... :heh:

DeadAlive 17th March 2010 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cyborg She - I wasn't expecting much and I was really knocked out by this. A sci-fi tinged romantic comedy that really delivers if you stick with it to the end. Cool effects and the perfect blend of comedy and drama. The ending is unexpectedly touching. (I'll say no more than that.) This is going on my to buy list so I can watch it again. :thumb:

vincenzo 17th March 2010 02:29 PM

Too Late The Hero

Not Robert Aldrich's best war film (that would be Attack) but still enjoyable, if overlong. Good to see familiar faces such as Ronald Fraser, Percy Herbert, Harry Andrews and (of course) Sam Kydd though Ian Bannen is wasted in a frivolous role. Curious casting for Lance Percival too.

Harshly X-rated when originally released though probably due to the then unavailabilty of the 'AA' certificate. Entertaining thick-eared stuff with a fine Gerald Fried score.

Meteor

A large slice of what appears to be a week old Wonderloaf falls slowly towards Earth (destroying the Twin Towers en route) and only an all-star cast can stop it. Typically silly 70's disaster film but, as with most (not all) of these films it's still thoroughly watchable fun. Sean Connery dallies with Natalie Wood (the lucky bastard bloke), Brian Keith gets a rare chance to use the F-word in a PG rated film (though in a thick Russian accent), Martin Landau snarls a lot and Sybil Danning looks stunning in a ski outfit.

Hi-De-Hi fans (are there any and, if so, why?) will spot Simon Cadell as a TV news reporter.

Sargento 17th March 2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 67340)
And coming soon from the makers of Shark Vs Octpuss is Mega Piranha,starring the other pop princess of the eighties,Tiffany. (yum yum)

Oh good lord no! She will be "alone now" if Shark and Octoplod are anything to go by ... won't be shelling owt out for that one!

42ndStreetFreak 17th March 2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 67553)
Too Late The Hero

Not Robert Aldrich's best war film (that would be Attack) but still enjoyable, if overlong. Good to see familiar faces such as Ronald Fraser, Percy Herbert, Harry Andrews and (of course) Sam Kydd though Ian Bannen is wasted in a frivolous role. Curious casting for Lance Percival too.

Harshly X-rated when originally released though probably due to the then unavailabilty of the 'AA' certificate. Entertaining thick-eared stuff with a fine Gerald Fried score.

Strange ass film that. But there is a fascination to it.
It's a really schizo picture too, being very light-hearted at first (some nice Caine "Alfie" cocky Cockney humour here) but then turns pitch black.
It always surprised just how downbeat and cynical this got after that opening. Nihilistic to the bone this.

I always remember just how revolting a creature Ronald Fraser was as well. A nasty piece of work.
Some good plot twists too and some pretty gruesome moments here and there (always remember the body parts sequence) and yes Bannen was underused but thanks to what his role is...and his relationship to the vile Fraser...I thought he was memorable. As was Denholm Elliot in perhaps the most cruel and cynical part of the film.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 17th March 2010 08:43 PM

Went to see Alice In Wonderland tonight - two cinema trips in a row! Oh yeah! - and wasn't too impressed with it to be honest. Fell asleep half way through :laugh: It seemed to have all the ingrediants but lacked anything special. Although the last third of the film was quite good, and the 3D worked well. Not something I'd go out of my way to see again.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th March 2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 67631)
Went to see Alice In Wonderland tonight - two cinema trips in a row! Oh yeah! - and wasn't too impressed with it to be honest. Fell asleep half way through :laugh: It seemed to have all the ingrediants but lacked anything special. Although the last third of the film was quite good, and the 3D worked well. Not something I'd go out of my way to see again.

I went to see this in 3-D yesterday iluv. Can't say I was too impressed with it either... :ohwell:

It seemed like it was a film concocted to try and target every type of cinema-goer but it just came up short for me. There were some good voice actors in it (particularly Stephen Fry and Christopher Lee) but even the 3-D failed to impress me much really....

.... this could be due to the fact that I'd seen that Oscar-dodging Pocahontas rip-off Avatar in 3-D the day before. Wherein the 3-D was better, but it was such a bland, predictable, empty shell of a film I don't think I'd ever want to see it again. :ack: