Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 01:24 PM

Recent viewings:

http://memento.cf1.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://memento.cf1.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://elephant.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://memento.cf1.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://psycho.cf1.letterboxd.com/ass...0-222-crop.jpg http://memento.cf1.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://memento.cf1.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://elephant.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://psycho.cf1.letterboxd.com/ass...0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 01:46 PM

Whats the poster of the skull and the plug head (which i feel i should know) Bizarre_eye?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 293372)
Whats the poster of the skull and the plug head (which i feel i should know) Bizarre_eye?

The one with the skull is Piotr Szulkin's O-Bi, O-Ba – The End of Civilisation. I have no idea what the one with the head with a socket and plug is though.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 293372)

The 'plug head' poster is for a Russian film called The Dead Mountaineer’s Hotel ('Hukkunud Alpinisti' hotell) directed by Grigori Kromanov, which is a pretty decent sci-fi thriller about extra-terrestrial encounters at a hotel that's been cut off by an avalanche.

The Skull poster is for a Polish film called O-Bi, O-Ba – The End of Civilization directed by Piotr Szulkin, which is a post-apocalyptic film about a group of nuclear survivors buried underground awaiting an Ark to come and save them, as their civilization and habitat fall apart.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 293377)
The 'plug head' poster is for a Russian film called The Dead Mountaineer’s Hotel ('Hukkunud Alpinisti' hotell) directed by Grigori Kromanov, which is a pretty decent sci-fi thriller about extra-terrestrial encounters at a hotel that's been cut off by an avalanche.

The Skull poster is for a Polish film called O-Bi, O-Ba – The End of Civilization directed by Piotr Szulkin, which is a post-apocalyptic film about a group of nuclear survivors buried underground awaiting and Ark to save them, as their civilization and habitat fall apart.

Not American Pie then? :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 293377)

The Skull poster is for a Polish film called O-Bi, O-Ba – The End of Civilization directed by Piotr Szulkin, which is a post-apocalyptic film about a group of nuclear survivors buried underground awaiting an Ark to come and save them, as their civilization and habitat fall apart.

Pretty obscure films – I take it these are more films you haven't seen before?

ArgentoFan1987 18th November 2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 293365)
Tales from the Crypt (1972)
http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/atta...8&d=1353246555
watched Tales from the Crypt for the umteenth time last nite ,never get bored of this,and Peter Cushing gives one of best performances of his career,would of watched Vault of Horror afterwards but was sleepyhead .

I've never seen an episode of Tales From the Crypt before. I've always wanted to, though.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 293381)
I've never seen an episode of Tales From the Crypt before. I've always wanted to, though.

Its not the US series its a British anthology film from Amicus in the 1970's.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 293378)
Not American Pie then? :lol:

No, not quite! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 293380)
Pretty obscure films – I take it these are more films you haven't seen before?

Yes; all of them are 'virgin viewings' for me, as part of my 'No Re-watch November'. Eating Raoul and A Boy and His Dog were my favourites of the bunch, although all were decent.

Here is a quick list of how I'd rate them:

Eating Raoul: 4/5
Eyes of Fire: 3.5/5
Shadow of Chinatown: 2.5/5
The Dead Mountaineer's Hotel: 3/5
Carne: 3.5/5
Rolling Thunder: 3/5
A Boy and His Dog: 4/5
Diary of a Madman: 3.5/5
O-Bi, O-Ba – The End of Civilization: 3.5/5
Sukkubus – den Teufel im Leib: 3.5/5
Kin-Dza-Dza: 3.5/5
A Serious Man: 2.5/5

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 293387)
No, not quite! ;)

Yes; all of them are 'virgin viewings' for me, as part of my 'No Re-watch November'. Eating Raoul and A Boy and His Dog were my favourites of the bunch, although all were decent.

I think the title of the final film sums up your recent viewing habits. :nod:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 293389)
I think the title of the final film sums up your recent viewing habits. :nod:

I would have gone for fifth from bottom, myself! ;)

Eating Raoul, A Boy and His Dog, and Kin-Dza-Dza have comedy (albeit more dark) elements to them, so it hasn't all been serious stuff. Plus, of course, A Serious Man is a Coen's comedy (although I didn't think it was very good!)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 293393)
A Serious Man is a Coen's comedy (although I didn't think it was very good!)

A Serious Man is unlike most of the Coen brothers previous output, but it's a film I like a great deal as a modern-day retelling of the story of Job and how, if he had a backbone, he would just yell "ENOUGH" and stop being such a doormat!

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 293393)
I would have gone for fifth from bottom, myself! ;)

Eating Raoul, A Boy and His Dog, and Kin-Dza-Dza have comedy (albeit more dark) elements to them, so it hasn't all been serious stuff. Plus, of course, A Serious Man is a Coen's comedy (although I didn't think it was very good!)

I own non of your recent films, but used to have A Boy and his Dog on vhs

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 293397)
A Serious Man is unlike most of the Coen brothers previous output, but it's a film I like a great deal as a modern-day retelling of the story of Job and how, if he had a backbone, he would just yell "ENOUGH" and stop being such a doormat!

Yes, although I do like the Coen's output to a large extent, I just found this to be them taking the biblical fable and overdosing on the 'quirky' a little too much. Plus, the whole cutaway ending technique thing is getting a bit tiresome now.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bloody Murder (2000)

Completely worthless Friday the 13th rip off. A tale about the terrifying legend of Trevor Moorehouse a chainsaw wielding, hockey mask wearing figure who slaughters the counselors at Camp Placid Pines. This is woeful, the acting is shoddy, the kills bloodless and unimaginative and Moorehouse lacking scares.

What sort of a name is Trevor Moorhouse for a serial slaughterer anyway. He sounds like the owner of a small brewery in Victorian Lancashire.

Bloody Murder 2 (2003)

Set a couple of years after the original movie Bloody Murder 2 is more of the same. Fortunately this time they decided to use actors, thought a slasher film would benefit from some gore and threw in some nudity courtesy of Tiffany Shepis going starkers four times.

A vast improvement on the first film, but still extremely derivative. The plots identical in that Huddersfield mill owner Trevor Moorhouse turns up to kill the dim witted folks at Camp Placid Pines. Absolutely nothing you won't have seen many times before.

Junior (2003)

An Eastern European horror about two girls stranded in the middle of nowhere who unfortunately for them end up as the playthings of the masked psycho known as Junior. A reasonable film let down by its being made digitally, therefore everything looks so bright and false. The design of Junior is pretty creepy works well for me. Unfortunately this also lacks in the splatter department, rendering the film a little pointless.

Go for Laid to Rest for a superior viewing experience.

Deadly Species (2003)

A wealthy big game hunter leads a team of archeologists into the jungle on a fact finding mission. Not everything is as it seems though as a man in a dodgy rubber alien costume soon pops up and kills them off one by one.

The film makers tried with this film to give it a glossy look and some nice location photography certainly helps. Unfortunately they failed to hire any actors and Vic Dakin's masks look more realistic than the creature.

Over time would i watch these again? Probably Bloody Murder 2 as i'm a sucker for Tiffany Shepis. Junior and Deadly Species - well possibly in a few years when my memory fades. Bloody Murder? I really doubt it.

The set was probably worth the £4.50 delivered i paid. But only just.

mercury 18th November 2012 03:12 PM

The Raven....I quite liked this film and thought John Cusack was great as Poe.

Haywire....not a bad film but seriously, did anyone else find the music to be a bit annoying and totally out of place for this type of film?

Castle Freak

The Devil Inside....getting a bit sick of the amateur recording movies. They're becoming less creative and a tad boring.

chernobyl diaries:pop2:

Safe......Jason Statham fans won't be disappointed with this. Good action film.

JoshuaKaitlyn 18th November 2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 293406)
The Raven....I quite liked this film and thought John Cusack was great as Poe.

Haywire....not a bad film but seriously, did anyone else find the music to be a bit annoying and totally out of place for this type of film?

Castle Freak

The Devil Inside....getting a bit sick of the amateur recording movies. They're becoming less creative and a tad boring.

chernobyl diaries:pop2:

Safe......Jason Statham fans won't be disappointed with this. Good action film.

Saw this last night and couldn't agree more!:mmph:

PaulD 18th November 2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 293405)
Bloody Murder (2000)

Completely worthless Friday the 13th rip off. A tale about the terrifying legend of Trevor Moorehouse a chainsaw wielding, hockey mask wearing figure who slaughters the counselors at Camp Placid Pines. This is woeful, the acting is shoddy, the kills bloodless and unimaginative and Moorehouse lacking scares.

What sort of a name is Trevor Moorhouse for a serial slaughterer anyway. He sounds like the owner of a small brewery in Victorian Lancashire.

Bloody Murder 2 (2003)

Set a couple of years after the original movie Bloody Murder 2 is more of the same. Fortunately this time they decided to use actors, thought a slasher film would benefit from some gore and threw in some nudity courtesy of Tiffany Shepis going starkers four times.

A vast improvement on the first film, but still extremely derivative. The plots identical in that Huddersfield mill owner Trevor Moorhouse turns up to kill the dim witted folks at Camp Placid Pines. Absolutely nothing you won't have seen many times before.

I wish I hadn't read this as I simply have to waste 3 hours watching these 2 films now!

Handyman Joe 18th November 2012 04:16 PM

I've been watching Les Vampires all week - it's great, all the usual jumping out of high windows, exploding top hats, twirling moustaches, multiple disguises etc you get in silent movie crowd pleasers. I'll miss the shenanigans of Mazamette, Irma Vep, Guerande and the rest - all now long dead but chasing each other around in perpituity thanks to this great Kino blu ray.

On an unrelated matter I saw the first 15 minutes of Transformers Rise of the Fallen last night - I had no idea cinema could be this dreadful, just a barrage of shit cgi and explosions. Genuinely, Idiocracy has come to pass - we're a hairsbreadth away from 'Ow My Balls' being greenlighted. Also tried American Horror Story Asylum the hyped new US series which was also crap - that relentless MTV style flashy editing - God forbid a shot should last more than 5 seconds, the audience might nod off. No atmosphere or interesting characters or discernable story, nothing but a steaming load of shite in fact. I'II pass on this one.

Nostalgic 18th November 2012 04:36 PM

Dug out the AWE "Cannibal Collection" and re-watched Cannibal Holocaust (always great!), Cannibal Ferox (better than I remember it being), and Eaten alive (Erm...a bit hilarious!)

also watched William Lustig's Maniac (Elite DVD) and Pieces (Arrow), and Fulci's The Beyond.

Haven't really seen any new movies this week, going to attempt some Frank Hennenlotter (Brain Damage & Bad biology) as watched Basket Case 1-3 and Frankenhooker last week. also have Torso on the shelf that's calling me for a re-watch, and the rest of the stack I mentioned in other threads...

Wes 18th November 2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 293421)
I've been watching Les Vampires all week - it's great, all the usual jumping out of high windows, exploding top hats, twirling moustaches, multiple disguises etc you get in silent movie crowd pleasers. I'll miss the shenanigans of Mazamette, Irma Vep, Guerande and the rest - all now long dead but chasing each other around in perpituity thanks to this great Kino blu ray.

Great post ! Joe have you seen the 1996 French film Irma Vep, a film about a disaster plaugued remake of the original serial ? Maggie Cheung (playing herself and looking absolutely stunning) dons the title character's slinky costume. If you have yet to see it be sure to track it down, it's a fantastic film...

http://www.jonathanrosenbaum.com/wp-...gie-cheung.jpg

PaulD 18th November 2012 04:41 PM

Amsterdamned: really enjoyed this in spite of some odd dubbing choices. Excellent speedboat chase too!

Apartment 143: found footagey paranormal film that owes a massive debt to Paranormal Activity. Much better than expected with some half decent ideas and at 77 minutes doesn't outstay its welcome. Even though I am sick to death of these sort of films it wasn't too bad and a lot better than Paranormal Activity 4

Jackass The Movie and Jackass Number Two: got drunk and watched these both for the second time in a month. Still laugh more than is probably acceptable at these

The Deadly Spawn: didn't do it for me I'm afraid. Moved along at far too slow a pace for me to get into it and didn't really have a main character or anything actually happen to anyone other than a few deaths. Great practical effects though

Slippery Jack 18th November 2012 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 293421)

Cool. I did the entire run of serials for the first time last year, and had similar withdrawal symptoms when it was over :lol: Might give it a second play this week. Wanna do a couple of complimentary posters for Les Vampires and Fantomas in a similar style to the Judex design I did a while back . . .

bdc 18th November 2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 293387)
No, not quite! ;)

Eyes of Fire suffered 16 minutes of distributor cuts before it's release...I hope we will get to see the film as it was originally intended one day... :pray:

Btw Some nice ones in there (A Boy and His Dog is so much fun it should have had at least several sequels with more adventures of our heroes imho)...but nothing from the fragant harbour? ;)

demonknight 18th November 2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostalgic (Post 293425)
Dug out the AWE "Cannibal Collection" and re-watched Cannibal Holocaust (always great!), Cannibal Ferox (better than I remember it being), and Eaten alive (Erm...a bit hilarious!)

also watched William Lustig's Maniac (Elite DVD) and Pieces (Arrow), and Fulci's The Beyond.

Haven't really seen any new movies this week, going to attempt some Frank Hennenlotter (Brain Damage & Bad biology) as watched Basket Case 1-3 and Frankenhooker last week. also have Torso on the shelf that's calling me for a re-watch, and the rest of the stack I mentioned in other threads...

You dug out some great movies there,but Pieces is just terrible. Everything else you watched I could watch.

Slippery Jack 18th November 2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 293446)
You dug out some great movies there,but Pieces is just terrible. Everything else you watched I could watch.

Whaaa?! You mean there are actually people out there who don't enjoy Pieces :eek: ? Does not compute . . .

re.form 18th November 2012 07:03 PM

The Terror Within -- nice little Corman 'Alien' rip off with a funny man-in-a-rubber suit monster (who is unstoppable, except for when up against the sound of a dog whistle). However I actually enjoyed

The Terror Within II a bit more for some reason. Practically the same film but had Lee. R Ermy in it chewing up a bit of scenery.

Lunacy -- insteresting if sometimes hard work film from Jan Svankmeyer. His stop motion is as always fun, although I'm not intelligent enough to understand the themes going on, it was quite memorable visually.

SShaw 18th November 2012 07:51 PM

A double bill today. First up was Tetsuo (the recent UK BR), which I think is a remarkable piece of film making from the stark black and white photography, through the discordant and uncomfortable sound track to the wtf narrative this is an interesting analysis of our relationship with technology and the machines around us.

The second film was Christmas Evil or as the credits have it You better watch out (the arrow DVD). This is a film I hadn't seen before and I really liked it. Brandon Maggart portrayal of Harry's mental breakdown is excellent and while the film is perhaps a little short of the gore I had expected I think its a better film as a consequence. One to add to the festive viewing list.

VicDakin 18th November 2012 08:02 PM

What films have you seen recently?

2 Attachment(s)

tonight's double bill Trading Places and The Cottage,I like'em both of em :lol:

Attachment 91104Attachment 91105

keirarts 18th November 2012 09:05 PM

THE THOMPSONS.

They went and made a sequel to THE HAMILTONS??! When the hell did that happen. Like its predecessor its not as good as the review blurbs say, and theres some very dodgy acting and an at time surreal portrayal of the english in the movie but wierdly I found myself enjoying it nontheless. Don't expect a bona fide classic and you should be ok!

JoshuaKaitlyn 18th November 2012 09:11 PM

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2012) 7/10 At 2h 38m a little overlong!
The Devil Inside (2012) 2/10 And he can stay there!
Seconds Apart (2011) 6/10 Twins! Evil! Where's Peter Cushing and the Collinson's when you need them!
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier,:yawn: Spy (2011) 5/10 I dont mind a slow burn but my god I could feel my nails growing!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 293443)
Eyes of Fire suffered 16 minutes of distributor cuts before it's release...I hope we will get to see the film as it was originally intended one day... :pray:

Me too, it's really good with a great story, a creepy atmosphere and some nice FX work.

Btw Some nice ones in there (A Boy and His Dog is so much fun it should have had at least several sequels with more adventures of our heroes imho)...but nothing from the fragant harbour? ;)

I'd also love to see some sequels, although at the same time, it's such a unique little film. Nothing yet, but I've plenty of things lined up (too much really!), especially thanks to your recommendations.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 293463)

tonight's double bill Trading Places and The Cottage,I like'em both of em :lol:

Attachment 91104Attachment 91105

Gotta love Ms Ellison in The Cottage, such a charming girl.

PaulD 18th November 2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 293469)
THE THOMPSONS.

They went and made a sequel to THE HAMILTONS??! When the hell did that happen. Like its predecessor its not as good as the review blurbs say, and theres some very dodgy acting and an at time surreal portrayal of the english in the movie but wierdly I found myself enjoying it nontheless. Don't expect a bona fide classic and you should be ok!

It's a bit cut too apparently. The BBFC gave it an uncut 18 certificate with a description of "strong horror, bloody violence, sex and sexualised violence" so Lionsgate resubmitted an edited version short of one minute so the new consumer advice now reads "strong horror, bloody violence and sex"

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 293486)
It's a bit cut too apparently. The BBFC gave it an uncut 18 certificate with a description of "strong horror, bloody violence, sex and sexualised violence" so Lionsgate resubmitted an edited version short of one minute so the new consumer advice now reads "strong horror, bloody violence and sex"

I wouldn't worry, The Hamiltons was tripe anyway. :lol:

bdc 18th November 2012 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another one I'd really recommend BE and Dem (if you haven't seen it):
The Return of the Vampire (1943)
A very special film as Lugosi basically reprises his Dracula role (without the Dracula name) in WW2 London under the blitz!

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 10:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 293491)
Here's another one I'd really recommend BE and Dem (if you haven't seen it):
The Return of the Vampire (1943)
A very special film as Lugosi basically reprises his Dracula role (without the Dracula name) in WW2 London under the blitz!

Not seen it Bdc.

Is the Sony release the one to go for?

Make Them Die Slowly 18th November 2012 10:33 PM

CLEANSKIN. Another impulse buy from the supermarket. Sean Bean plays a damaged ex-soldier now secret service agent tracking down a cell of Muslim extremist, suicide bombers. This is impressive stuff, incredibly violent for a 15 certificate and moves along at a fair pace. What's most interesting about the film is the sympathetic portrait of the main terrorist, with multiple flashbacks filling out his story. Recommended.

mr 420 18th November 2012 10:35 PM

I finally got round to watching Razorback the other day and was quite impressed. It was nowhere near bad as most reviews say it is, I found it to be funny, quite atmospheric in places and beautifully shot with unusual compositions.

I only have the vanilla UK Anchor Bay DVD and would like to know if the extras are worth upgrading to the two disc edition?

Make Them Die Slowly 18th November 2012 10:53 PM

I watched my all time favourite film with the boy MTDS this afternoon, THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN. First off the Blu-ray looks great and really adds to the viewing experience of the film. I love this film on so many levels, from it's anti-god and anti-religious stance, it's set design and lighting that borrow so much from German Expressionism right through to some of the borderline hysteria that passes as acting from some of the cast. The film positively drips with images of death, funeral rites and resurrection. I also like the very knowing camp humour that runs throughout the film which is often mixed with the macabre.