Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

sawyer6 21st January 2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314544)
The Wizards is a PG. It's aimed at familys. So must be appropriate for kids, no?
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...Lnm8rwefE4rDKi

So a Nympho Tinkerbell is PG,right? The rating system sucks!!

Hawkmonger 21st January 2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 314548)
So a Nympho Tinkerbell is PG,right? The rating system sucks!!

I've known this all my life. :rolleyes:

sawyer6 21st January 2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 314546)
Film debate is always encouraged as long as the debate doesn't get out of hand, posts are friendly in nature and no one's feelings are hurt.

Please keep this in mind and think before you click on 'submit reply'.

Thanks in advance!

Oh, we're very friendly here !

sawyer6 21st January 2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314549)
I've known this all my life. :rolleyes:

So a movie that it's PG doesn't mean it's appropiate always

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st January 2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 314550)
Oh, we're very friendly here !

I know, I just don't want someone saying something they later regret because they've inadvertently hurt someone's feelings.

Hawkmonger 21st January 2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 314551)
So a movie that it's PG doesn't mean it's appropiate always

Nymphomania in a movie legaly viewable for children? No thanks, BBFC screwed up big time. Indeed, they seem very lax with animation. What is seen in a 12 animated feature would often not pass for an uncut 18 in live action. :coolblue:

sawyer6 21st January 2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 314552)
I know, I just don't want someone saying something they later regret because they've inadvertently hurt someone's feelings.

I'm always careful here ,not to

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st January 2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314554)
Nymphomania in a movie legaly viewable for children? No thanks, BBFC screwed up big time. Indeed, they seem very lax with animation. Hhat is seen in a 12 animated feature would often not pass for an uncut 18 in live action. :coolblue:

There's a very big difference between what children see and read into a film and a character's behaviour and what an adult sees. Adults may see her as a 'nymphomaniac fairy', but children may not think there is anything sexual about her at all. Eye of the beholder and all that!

Hawkmonger 21st January 2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 314557)
There's a very big difference between what children see and read into a film and a character's behaviour and what an adult sees. Adults may see her as a 'nymphomaniac fairy', but children may not think there is anything sexual about her at all. Eye of the beholder and all that!

Thats all fair does, but some of the acctions perfomed by the fair in The Wizards a bit close to the cuff in my opinion. Mild sexuality in a PG im happy with, but when some sex based gag is introduced than the boards ****ed up big time.

Gojirosan 21st January 2013 03:30 PM

To be fair though, Hawk, you are a bit "oversensitive" to sexual themes compared to most it seems.

I am still astonished at the memory of your confusingly explosive reaction to some film having incest in it.

I am honestly, not having a dig at you here, I promise! I just think you have a "unique" view on the topic compared to most.

Hawkmonger 21st January 2013 03:31 PM

Let it be known, I have nothing against sex in film. None what so ever, in fact, I encourage it. It's just over sexualisation in a childrens film...am I the only one who thinks it's just a bit 'not right'? Yes there is perseption, what what ever happened to loss of inocense?:confused:

pedromonkey 21st January 2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314560)
Thats all fair does, but some of the acctions perfomed by the fair in The Wizards a bit close to the cuff in my opinion. Mild sexuality in a PG im happy with, but when some sex based gag is introduced than the boards ****ed up big time.

How many people would have taken their kids to see Wizards back in 1977 when Stars Wars was the craze, like most of Bakshi's material it was rarely seen in cinemas and spent more time playing the sleazy picture houses. How could they advertise it 'from the director of Fritz The Cat' wouldn't really be appropriate on the poster which is probably the reason why his Lord OF The Rings failed. Just because a film is rated a PG doesn't mean it's suitable for all ages, it does mean Parental Guidance so it's upto parents to allow their children to see it. Bakshi's Fire & Ice is also rated a PG and that film is actually rather violent and is more like an animated Conan than just your average animated fantasy film.

Gojirosan 21st January 2013 03:33 PM

I don't know the film in question, but just because something is a PG or a U doesn't mean it is a children's film, just that the BBFC didn't think there was anything in it that needed to be age restricted.

Citizen Kane and The Red Shoes are U certificate, but you wouldn't let a kid watch them. They are adult themed films.

Gojirosan 21st January 2013 03:45 PM

Black Narcissus is a U certificate! That's one of the most steamily erotic films ever made!

Hawkmonger 21st January 2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 314573)
I don't know the film in question, but just because something is a PG or a U doesn't mean it is a children's film, just that the BBFC didn't think there was anything in it that needed to be age restricted.

that completely deffiets the point of a certificate system, but come to think of it I really don't care. PG is PG, I wouldn't let my kid's watch it. End of.

Gojirosan 21st January 2013 03:50 PM

Does it defeat the point of certification?

So Citizen Kane should be an 18 because it's not a children's film?

Hawkmonger 21st January 2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 314577)
Does it defeat the point of certification?

So Citizen Kane should be an 18 because it's not a children's film?

It's content, the Nympho fairy in The Wizards displays act's of visceral sexuality throughout the film. Not appropriate content for a young child IMHO.

Gojirosan 21st January 2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314579)
It's content, the Nympho fairy in The Wizards displays act's of visceral sexuality throughout the film. Not appropriate content for a young child IMHO.

That will be why it's a PG then. Parental Guidance. Parents' decision. Sounds bang on to me.

I now want to see this film. I wonder if I still have it on VHS, think I had it and never watched it.

Wish I didn't keep my last piles of VHS in my bedroom, my bedroom is STUPIDLY cold!!! :lol:

pedromonkey 21st January 2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314579)

well in that case every CARRY ON film should be rated higher, they are all PG's and contain some very memorable dirty jokes and displays of sexuality i've been watching them since i was a very small child.

Hawkmonger 21st January 2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 314581)
That will be why it's a PG then. Parental Guidance. Parents' decision. Sounds bang on to me.

I now want to see this film. I wonder if I still have it on VHS, think I had it and never watched it.

It's a good film, I think you will enjoy it. But I must disagree. Parental Guidance is all well and good, but alot of people don't take notice of what a PG truely means anymore. The instantly assume it's for children and plonck them in front of it. A 12 would be a better certificate as far as I can tell.

Hawkmonger 21st January 2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 314582)
well in that case every CARRY ON film should be rated higher, they are all PG's and contain some very memorable dirty jokes and displays of sexuality i've been watching them since i was a very small child.

I agree. They should be U for 'Unwatchable'.:lol:

pedromonkey 21st January 2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314583)
It's a good film, I think you will enjoy it. But I must disagree. Parental Guidance is all well and good, but alot of people don't take notice of what a PG truely means anymore. The instantly assume it's for children and plonck them in front of it. A 12 would be a better certificate as far as I can tell.

We have that still with 18s and 15s but in regards to games. A person will allow their child to play a game like GTA even though it is rated an 18 but in their eyes it's just a game, it's in the same league as Mario, they pay no attention to certificates. I wouldn't allow a child under the age of 12 to watch Wizards, not because of the nympho fairy but because they could never comprehend the awesomeness of Bakshi's work.

Rik 21st January 2013 04:16 PM

Wish I had some popcorn for this debate! :pop2:

trebor8273 21st January 2013 04:27 PM

About to watch moon 44 remember watching this years ago but can't remember anything about it, but was only 10p from cex so no big loss if its no good.

Susan Foreman 21st January 2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 314582)
well in that case every CARRY ON film should be rated higher, they are all PG's and contain some very memorable dirty jokes and displays of sexuality

Only after cuts

- '...Girls' had to be cut to get an 'A' certificate, otherwise it would have been given an 'AA' (meaning you have to be over 15 to see it)

- '...England' was also cut down from an 'AA' to an 'A' certificate

- '...Emmannuelle' actually received a 'AA' certificate

Invid Ninja 21st January 2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 314574)
Black Narcissus is a U certificate! That's one of the most steamily erotic films ever made!

Funnily enough, I just studied this film for a university essay. Call me a new fan of Powell and Pressburger. :pop2:

trebor8273 21st January 2013 05:29 PM

Just about too watch macabre

keirarts 21st January 2013 05:36 PM

Went to See DJANGO UNCHAINED and loved every minute, didnt think it was especially overlong or anyhthing, thought DON JOHNSON was actually pretty good in it and always good to see Walton goggins turn up! (who is he? well heres his imdb link Walton Goggins - IMDb great actor!)

Got home to find a complaint about my total recall that I sold on amazon blu not working, so hoping the explanation about firmware suffices as it bloody well does work! This is why blu-ray is a pain in the ass and this is why the damnned format is not taking off as well as it should!

SShaw 21st January 2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 314463)
I like how we both object to the same specific parts of he film but I really liked it and you didn't! Film appreciations kinda cool like that.

But I think thats the central problem. There are some excellent scenes, such as the KKK scene, BUT while in isolation they work well as part of the overall story they add little and slow down the overall flow of the film. Its where he misses a really good editor (or a really good editor he trusts). Inglorious Basterds suffers the same and while both are excellent films with a slightly tighter edit they could be something very special indeed.

SShaw 21st January 2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 314517)
Or the ludicrous animated sequence in Kill Bill...

I concur, but it is my favourite part of the whole movie.

Rik 21st January 2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 314644)

Got home to find a complaint about my total recall that I sold on amazon blu not working, so hoping the explanation about firmware suffices as it bloody well does work! This is why blu-ray is a pain in the ass and this is why the damnned format is not taking off as well as it should!

I had a complaint from a seller on ebay that bought my Xbox 360 copy of Far Cry 2 saying it wouldn't work on her son's PS3 :eek:
No shit Sherlock! Some people shouldn't be allowed to use the internet!

sawyer6 21st January 2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 314704)
I had a complaint from a seller on ebay that bought my Xbox 360 copy of Far Cry 2 saying it wouldn't work on her son's PS3 :eek:

:lol:

Hawkmonger 21st January 2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 314704)

Thats blood unbelievable! What idiots there can be in the world.:pound:

keirarts 21st January 2013 06:46 PM

In the case of blu-ray its not always the customers fault. If there wasnt such an insistance on updating software it wouldent even be an issue.

Rik 21st January 2013 06:47 PM

I know, there was nothing she could do about it either, because it was clearly listed as for the Xbox and it was damn near mint condition, I only played it once then sold it on, so eBay ignored her complaint.
Rik 1
Ebay knobhead 0

SShaw 21st January 2013 06:49 PM

Back to the Bond box set tonight and Roger Moore's stint continues with For Your Eyes Only. FYEO has a special place in my heart as it was the first Bond film I saw (as a nine year old) on the big screen. Although I must admit that the reason I remember that screening some 30 odd years later has probably got more to do with spoof spy film The Nude Bomb which it played alongside in a double bill. Double bills, at least where I lived, and the playing of the national anthem before the show, were still relatively common in the early 80's. I think FYEO works pretty well and avoids most of the silliness and campness of late period Moore.

Dave Boy 21st January 2013 07:00 PM

The Seventh Seal (1957)
Fiend Without A Face (1958)
Slaughter Of The Vampires (1962)
Tower Of London (1939)

trebor8273 21st January 2013 07:06 PM

Well just finished macabre and found it disturbing, going too watch toy story for a change of pace from all the horrors and thrillers of late.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st January 2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 314679)
But I think thats the central problem. There are some excellent scenes, such as the KKK scene, BUT while in isolation as part of the overall story they add little and slow down the overall flow of the film. Its where he misses a really good editor (or a really good editor he trusts). Inglorious Basterds suffers the same and while both are excellent films with a slightly tighter edit they could be something very special indeed.

I completely agree with you – he needs an editor or one of the Weinstein brothers to tell him to cut those scenes and make the film more narratively coherent and quicker paced.

JoshuaKaitlyn 21st January 2013 07:48 PM

L'Inferno (1911)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post314744