Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Linbro 21st January 2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 314644)
Went to See DJANGO UNCHAINED and loved every minute, didnt think it was especially overlong or anyhthing, thought DON JOHNSON was actually pretty good in it and always good to see Walton goggins turn up! (who is he? well heres his imdb link Walton Goggins - IMDb great actor!)

Got home to find a complaint about my total recall that I sold on amazon blu not working, so hoping the explanation about firmware suffices as it bloody well does work! This is why blu-ray is a pain in the ass and this is why the damnned format is not taking off as well as it should!

I'm pretty sure there have been problems with this disc, in certain players. Don't think they've been resolved yet.

keirarts 21st January 2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linbro (Post 314753)
I'm pretty sure there have been problems with this disc, in certain players. Don't think they've been resolved yet.

Didn't know that, all I know is I sat and watched it with a mate, didn't like it so I sold it. Slightly put-off by the pissy email I suppose. But apparently the fella bought one previoulsy and it stopped at exactly the same place. I would have thought this was a firmware issue, most likely to do with the branching.

Linbro 21st January 2013 09:20 PM

Don't mention branching!

jorishorror 21st January 2013 09:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 97586

I LOVE the texas chainsaw massacre!
part 2 and 3 are fun with some good old popcorn
part 4... sigh... no comment
So after a looooong time I tried this one....
what can I say?
they tried to damn hard! No humor, ok, so no popcorn ;)
But the guy who plays leatherface (especially the walk and his body language) is really off!
the story wasn't much, the action wasn't much, the characters....
I hoped it wouldn't suck... I was wrong

Nordicdusk 21st January 2013 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 97588

Not as great as some make out not as bad as others make out. Some great music and fantastic visuals very pleasing on the eye. But not the best Sci Fi film ever made as i have seen it described. For me it was a good watch and i was far from disappointed in it because as usual i didnt go in expecting to be blown away and have my life changed by it.

Only thing is at the start i was expecting the drum rolls at the start of Elvis See See Rider to start :lol:

Elvis Also sprach Zarathustra/See See Rider Special Edition - YouTube

sawyer6 21st January 2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 314798)
Attachment 97588

Not as great as some make out not as bad as others make out. Some great music and fantastic visuals very pleasing on the eye. But not the best Sci Fi film ever made as i have seen it described. For me it was a good watch and i was far from disappointed in it because as usual i didnt go in expecting to be blown away and have my life changed by it.

Only thing is at the start i was expecting the drum rolls at the start of Elvis See See Rider to start :lol:

Elvis Also sprach Zarathustra/See See Rider Special Edition - YouTube

Sorry but IT IS the best sci-fi ever :)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd January 2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 314820)
Sorry but IT IS the best sci-fi ever :)

It's best seen as a double bill with Silent Running as 2001: A Space Odyssey is very cold and technological whereas Douglas Trumbull's underrated masterpiece is very human and leaves you with a lump in your throat instead of a scientific and philosophical debate!

sawyer6 22nd January 2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 314864)
It's best seen as a double bill with Silent Running as 2001: A Space Odyssey is very cold and technological whereas Douglas Trumbull's underrated masterpiece is very human and leaves you with a lump in your throat instead of a scientific and philosophical debate!

I agree about Silent Running,2001 is beyond humanity ,on a different plane.I suggest Nordic to rewatch it

Rik 22nd January 2013 09:10 AM

It's been a long time since I watched 2001, but I would never say it's the best sci-fi film, I think it's heavily overrated

Baseball Fury 22nd January 2013 09:26 AM

How can perfection be over rated?

Watched Django Unchained last night, thought it was great. Could have without the Regulators and QT's bad Australian / South African accent though.

Demoncrat 22nd January 2013 09:57 AM

CONTAINS SPOILER FOR HAWKMONGER

Ahem.

The Killer Inside Me (Micheal Winterbottom, 2010)
As a Jim Thompson fan, I was intrigued to see that theyd try and make this again. I wasn't disappointed. Featuring some brutal shit (which includes kids cough), I won't recommend this as a first date movie.....harumph. Some lovely cinematography is offset by the underlying air of menace Affleck radiates...but then as I say, I am well acquainted with JT's "worldview", bleak doesn't enter into it cough cough. I'm rambling. SEE this movie. But only if youve read Thompson. I'm not going to be party to wishy washy debates about screen violence when I've read things that would put most of these 18s in the corner with their heads hanging AHEM.

The Crow (alex proyas, 1994) Needed to wind down after TKIM, so stuck this on. Still holds up, fascinating to see how MUCH Nolan stole from this imeo. Pity about the NIN track though ;):laugh:

The 3 Stooges (Farrelly Bros, 2012) Hahahahahahahahahahaha. Say what you like, I enjoy this, yes the grating bits grate, and the plot is an old garland/rooney/norman wisdom staple, but the overall effect is chucklesome. An odd triple bill, but not as odd as some.

Hawkmonger 22nd January 2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 314876)
CONTAINS SPOILER FOR HAWKMONGER

Ahem.

Well i'm flattered but call me dim I think I missed the spoiler. :o:lol:

Demoncrat 22nd January 2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314878)
Well i'm flattered but call me dim I think I missed the spoiler. :o:lol:

Just check the BBFC site then.

Hawkmonger 22nd January 2013 10:11 AM

Ah! I think I understand now. :couch:

it'smebilly 22nd January 2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorishorror (Post 314791)
Attachment 97586

I LOVE the texas chainsaw massacre!
part 2 and 3 are fun with some good old popcorn
part 4... sigh... no comment
So after a looooong time I tried this one....
what can I say?
they tried to damn hard! No humor, ok, so no popcorn ;)
But the guy who plays leatherface (especially the walk and his body language) is really off!
the story wasn't much, the action wasn't much, the characters....
I hoped it wouldn't suck... I was wrong

I really liked TCM The beginning, thought it was way better than the remake.

Whilst it certainly contained many of the same crappy elements found in the remake, such as the Michael bay style, models instead of actors lol etc, it did at least ramp up the gore, violence and the manic tone.

R Lee Ermeys performance was particularly fun to watch also.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Hawkmonger 22nd January 2013 10:29 AM

Ken Park (Larry Clark-2002): What a revolting piece of shite.This movie attempts to get us to empahsie with a cast of 5 people, spanning 4 sub plots and one arc. Of these, only two of the primery protagonists have earned my empaphy. There's the slimy git ****ing his girl freinds mother (while under age I might add), the sex crazed daughter of a religous, incestous nut job, the weak kid bullied by his abusive (also incestous) father, the freaky, Freddy kruger type who murders his elderly grand parents for losing at scrabble, and finely there's the miserable kid who kill's himself because he got his girlfreind pregnant. **** them all excpet the chick and the weedy kid, I felt sorry for them. But I SEAVING while watching this movie. It's not just bad, it's heinusly offencive in it's depiction of under age sexuality and it's poorly scripted, clunky dialogue that hurt my ear's to listen to. On policey, I never stop watching a film for fear of a warped opinion. But I very nearly punched my laptop this movie made me so angry. Avoid like the plague, it's one of the worst films I have ever seen. :mmph::censored:

Right, i'm off to watch something I enjoy...well, I still got my copy of Oedipus Rex to watch, maybe that's an example where incest isn't portrayed as more creepy than it need's to be.:coolblue:

sawyer6 22nd January 2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314887)

Right, i'm off to watch something I enjoy...well, I still got my copy of Oedipus Rex to watch, maybe that's an example where incest isn't portrayed as more creepy than it need's to be.:coolblue:

How's that ?

Hawkmonger 22nd January 2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 314888)
How's that ?

The subject doesn't disturb me persay, it's more how one or more of the partys go about it and outwardly display it. It's such a taboo subject I doubt it exists in reality in this day and age and thank god for it.

sawyer6 22nd January 2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314889)
The subject doesn't disturb me persay, it's more how one or more of the partys go about it and outwardly display it. It's such a taboo subject I doubt it exists in reality in this day and age and thank god for it.

We need another thread, again!

Hawkmonger 22nd January 2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 314890)
We need other thread, again!

:fear::lol:

Gojirosan 22nd January 2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314889)
It's such a taboo subject I doubt it exists in reality in this day and age and thank god for it.

Oh dear.

I think there is a lot - A LOT - about the world that would shock the hell out of you if you opened your eyes. :(

My mother was a Victim Support counsellor until very recently. Plenty of incest out there. And not all of it abuse.

sawyer6 22nd January 2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 314892)
Oh dear.

I think there is a lot - A LOT - about the world that would shock the hell out of you if you opened your eyes. :(

My mother was a Victim Support counsellor until very recently. Plenty of incest out there. And not all of it abuse.

Many people keep them closed..

Hawkmonger 22nd January 2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 314892)
Oh dear.

Maybe I would prefer to keep them closed. Like the content of Maniac, this stuff is better off as fiction or buried in the past.

Gojirosan 22nd January 2013 10:55 AM

So we should just pretend it doesn't happen and let the victims suffer? It isn't fiction nor is it buried in the past.

That is disgraceful and inhuman. Incest is real and happens everyday. Pretending it doesn't does not make it go away, it just lets abusers get away with their crimes.

You need to think about what you're saying. When it comes to matters such as this you should have no right to keep your eyes closed so far as I am concerned.

Hawkmonger 22nd January 2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 314897)
So we should just pretend it doesn't happen and let the victims suffer.

That is disgraceful and inhuman. Incest is real and happens everyday. Pretending it doesn't does not make it go away, it just lets abusers get away with their crimes.

You need to think about what you're saying.

I've thought about it. I'n reality, I don't like it. Others do? So long as it's none abusive let them get on with it. If it's abusive? Stop that shit! That is what i've been saying all along.

Demoncrat 22nd January 2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314899)
I've thought about it. I'n reality, I don't like it. Others do? So long as it's none abusive let them get on with it. If it's abusive? Stop that shit! That is what i've been saying all along.

None abusive? Apart from your butchery of the english language, which is a crime in itself. Il tell this to all my mates who were abused.

Il accept any punishment I get from mods, just cant let utter shite pass me by.......so much for my zen training.:doh:

Invid Ninja 22nd January 2013 11:39 AM

Pfft......ignoring the forum meltdown going on here I will continue business as usual -

Doomsday - Can't say I'd be surprised that I am the only one who appears to enjoy this movie. An utterly silly but wildly entertaining semi-post apocalyptic action romp as if Neil Marshall wanted to channel the wild Italian post-apoc movies of the 80's through a modern filter. Horribly underrated. :popcorn:

sawyer6 22nd January 2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 314908)
Pfft......ignoring the forum meltdown going on here I will continue business as usual -

Doomsday - Can't say I'd be surprised that I am the only one who appears to enjoy this movie. An utterly silly but wildly entertaining semi-post apocalyptic action romp as if Neil Marshall wanted to channel the wild Italian post-apoc movies of the 80's through a modern filter. Horribly underrated. :popcorn:

Forum meltdown ?

Invid Ninja 22nd January 2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 314910)
Forum meltdown ?

The posts above that's all, not the sort of conversation I want to throw my two cents into if I'm honest. :(

Demoncrat 22nd January 2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 314910)
Forum meltdown ?

Indeed.
me, I'm off to fiddle with myself whilst watching The Passion Flower Hotel;);)

Gojirosan 22nd January 2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 314912)
Indeed.
me, I'm off to fiddle with myself whilst watching The Passion Flower Hotel;);)

Is there a DVD of that? Saw it twice on ITV many many years ago. Could never locate it back in VHS days. I'd love to see that again!

Hawkmonger 22nd January 2013 12:21 PM

'sigh' Once again it feel's like i have to step down because people are getting to personal. I'm out, I lay my sincere card down. I am sorry.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd January 2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 314904)
None abusive? Apart from your butchery of the english language, which is a crime in itself.

:pound:

Baseball Fury 22nd January 2013 01:22 PM

I thought Ken Park was alright for a Larry Clarke film!

Rik 22nd January 2013 01:26 PM

Inspired by Nordicdusk's excellent stills here the other day, I decided to watch Tales of Terror again last night. Despite the poor first story, an otherwise excellent Poe adaption from Roger Corman, with fantastic performances as always from the late great Vincent Price and Peter Lorre, the middle story-The Black Cat, being my favourite, with inspiration coming from another Poe tale-The Cask of Amontillado.
And the final tale-The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar being a much better adaption than George A Romero's half of Two Evil Eyes.
If you haven't already then I'd highly recommend checking out the 8 Poe films from Corman, 7 of which star Vincent Price, with The Premature Burial being the only one that doesn't.

Justin101 22nd January 2013 01:36 PM

I enjoyed Ken Park when I watched it :lol:

Hawkmonger 22nd January 2013 01:36 PM

EDIT. You know, i'm just going to stop bringing up controversial topics in a movie I see. If I don't like it, or how it is handled, I won't say as such. Clearly some people are touchy about it for one reason or another, and frankly IDK why or how. I'm here to post my opinions on a film, and in some cases these movies will deal with theme's that are debatable, like in Ken Park. Wether these are handled well or not should be a source of disccusion. All i said was that I felt the theme's of Incest, rape and dissfunctional families was handled very poorly in this film and left a very nasty taste in my mouth. That is all I said, and for some reason other people started to chime in accusing me of this and that which are quite taken away from how I really feel. So please, all i'm asking is that we drop this sensless argument and just make up. We will always have different opinions on subjects such as the aformentioned, we must learn to all live with that.

And on the topic of my poor grammer. I has Asbergers. I'm not blaming my condition for the issue, just that i'm terribly sorry if it is an inconvenience. I'll will not use a spell check as I consider that as an insult to the fact I have a condition, why should I need something other's do not or at least for other reasons. You may call me petty, but IDK. That's just the way it is so take it or leave it.

Back on topic i'll be watching Oedipus Rex tonight and The Last Stand on friday, so expect a double review then.

gag 22nd January 2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314939)
EDIT. You know, i'm just going to stop bringing up controversial topics in a movie I see. If I don't like it, or how it is handled, I won't say as such. Clearly some people are touchy about it for one reason or another, and frankly IDK why or how. I'm here to post my opinions on a film, and in some cases these movies will deal with theme's that are debatable, like in Ken Park. Wether these are handled well or not should be a source of disccusion. All i said was that I felt the theme's of Incest, rape and dissfunctional families was handled very poorly in this film and left a very nasty taste in my mouth. That is all I said, and for some reason other people started to chime in accusing me of this and that which are quite taken away from how I really feel. So please, all i'm asking is that we drop this sensless argument and just make up. We will always have different opinions on subjects such as the aformentioned, we must learn to all live with that.

And on the topic of my poor grammer. I has Asbergers. I'm not blaming my condition for the issue, just that i'm terribly sorry if it is an inconvenience. I'll will not use a spell check as I consider that as an insult to the fact I have a condition, why should I need something other's do not or at least for other reasons. You may call me petty, but IDK. That's just the way it is so take it or leave it.

Back on topic i'll be watching Oedipus Rex tonight and The Last Stand on friday, so expect a double review then.

Hence the comment on poor grammar, There isnt one person on here who at some point writes with mistakes irrelivent of what it is capital letters spelling etc a lot of peoples English and grammar in writting especialy mine has a lot of mistakes but does it realy matter its only on a friendly forum it isnt a English and writting test,

Nordicdusk 22nd January 2013 05:59 PM

[QUOTE=Rik;314931]Inspired by Nordicdusk's excellent stills [URL="http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-chat/5678-post-your-[/QUOTE]

Cheers Rik :)

trebor8273 22nd January 2013 06:10 PM

Toy story 2 & 3. How can anyone not like the toy story movies:hail: