Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Dave Boy 24th January 2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

TLM rules, what an atmosphere etc.....:nod:
Yeah, fantastic. The train going over the bridge is such an awesome 'jump' moment.

Quote:

A very nice Lewton double bill. :nod:
Right On ! :yo:

Nordicdusk 24th January 2013 05:09 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Attachment 98001 Attachment 98002 Attachment 98003 Attachment 98004 Attachment 98005 Attachment 98006 Attachment 98007

trebor8273 24th January 2013 05:21 PM

Might watch American Mary is it as good as everyone says, also how depressing is it, as not in the best mood so if its too depressing might give a miss till feel better

JoshuaKaitlyn 24th January 2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 315972)
The MoC BD is stunning and I highly reccomend it, but those words are spread about often enough to not garner any real persuasion.

I don't know! I really like the MoC series. At the moment collecting the early cinema stuff but once I get through them I'm thinking of getting some of the others! As for the term 'Taboo' well my take on that word is that its cinema! At one end its meant to entertain at the other end its meant to make you think!

Linbro 24th January 2013 06:26 PM

Watched 'Berberian Sound Studio' last night - OUTSTANDING! Great disc too - pq and aq were excellent. Also watched the extras, which were also very good and well presented. Can feel a re-watch coming, very soon.
Oh yeah, the opening credits, for the film they're working on - 'The Equestrian Vortex', are amazing!

J Harker 24th January 2013 07:00 PM

I've got to watch Berberian again. Buggered if I know what was going on.

Rik 24th January 2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 316032)
I've got to watch Berberian again. Buggered if I know what was going on.

I've watched it 3 times now and I still have no idea what's going on, not sure if I want to either because it may ruin the experience somewhat

Mojo 24th January 2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 315968)
Thanks for this post Mojo.

I'm always interested to know the quality of Mya releases. One to pick up for sure now.

No problem Dem - they are very hit and miss.

Slippery Jack 24th January 2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 316038)
I've watched it 3 times now and I still have no idea what's going on

A fragile bloke from Blighty goes to Italy to work on a film, and promptly loses his mind. There you go :nod: . . .

Hawkmonger 24th January 2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 316053)
A fragile bloke from Blighty goes to Italy to work on a film, and promptly loses his mind. There you go :nod: . . .

And we all love it for what it is.:popcorn:

Linbro 24th January 2013 09:13 PM

I read it a bit differently -

***********Spoilers***************

I thought it was reality bleeding into the film, and the film bleeding into reality. Gilderoy, for an unknown reason, is the catalyst for this and ends up merging with the film, at the end. Even though we don't know why Gilderoy was chosen, the film makers certainly picked him for a reason - maybe they know what will happen? If so, why do they want this to happen? - we're never told.

As you can see, this is all a bit half-arsed - I need to watch again. I just don't like the 'it's all in his head' explanation.

J Harker 24th January 2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

But does he? :confused:

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th January 2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Does he actually go to Italy?

J Harker 24th January 2013 09:58 PM

Was he from Blighty in the first place?

JoshuaKaitlyn 24th January 2013 10:10 PM

The Squaw Man (1914)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post316060

Linbro 24th January 2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 316058)

I want to trust what we see, ie. - he is in Italy, he is doing sound for a film. He is clearly unfamiliar with Italian customs - greetings, celebrations etc., which tells me it's not a fantasy, these people are real.
Plus, we see things that he doesn't - eg. the projectionists hand.
All IMHO, of course. Maybe the commentary sheds more light?

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th January 2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linbro (Post 316063)
Maybe the commentary sheds more light?

I wish. :lol:

keirarts 24th January 2013 10:27 PM

Went to a double bill of TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE and LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT at the dance house in manchester last night. Texas really benefits from the big screen and it was an entirely fresh experience for me, I came out the theatre reeling and still had the buzzing of the saw ringing in my ears. Really hammered home how much it owes PSYCHO and how much subesquent horror movies owe it. If you ever get the chance check this out on the big screen.

After a beer to steady my nerves post-tcm, I went back to catch LAST HOUSE. Still very rough around the edges and uneven, this still adds to the verite feel of the film and was uncomfortable viewing. (aside from one person somewhere in the theatre who thought the shot of krugs apparent post rape remorse was funny :crazy:) Like TCM it was good to see it on a big screen, and it still packs a punch.Also still weird to tee martin kove (karate kid) as the dumb deputy!

J Harker 24th January 2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linbro (Post 316063)
I want to trust what we see, ie. - he is in Italy, he is doing sound for a film. He is clearly unfamiliar with Italian customs - greetings, celebrations etc., which tells me it's not a fantasy, these people are real.
Plus, we see things that he doesn't - eg. the projectionists hand.
All IMHO, of course. Maybe the commentary sheds more light?

Well my boy's in bed and so is my missus. So I've poured the Scotch and stuck Berberian in to give the extras a whirl and try and make some sense of it all. Thing is I'm about ten minutes into the Peter Strickland interview and the guy's so boring I'm struggling not to nod off myself.

J Harker 24th January 2013 11:32 PM

Right, the commentary! Now I'm only twenty mins into the movie but I thought it was interesting that around ten minutes into the commentary the director mentions the dilemma he faced with regard to discussing the films plot and how much to explain. The implication being that there is something to actually explain and it's not simply Gilderoy going nuts.

Justin101 25th January 2013 08:58 AM

So I got around to Todd Solondz's Happiness, and while it's not a 'horror' film is pretty horrific haha, not laugh out loud funny like some people seem to think, but it was very amusing, it was also pretty bleak and cringe inducing, but you can't look away - loads of great quotable lines as well, quite stressful near the end in the scene with Bill and his son Billy, it made me feel very uncomfortable but I think that's a commendation to the acting and direction!
The film making is certainly a step up from Welcome to the Dollhouse, however it is still a little flawed, can't quite put my finger on it but something wasn't right - going to hit up Life During Wartime next and skip Storytelling until after that.

Wasn't impressed with the non-anamorphic DVD though :lol: haven't had to use the zoom button on my TV in years!

Frankie Teardrop 25th January 2013 10:41 AM

DEARANGED - A wonderful, sickly classic. Backwoods momma's boy turns necrophile / murderer in this loose biopic based on the life and kills of Ed Gein. Firmly entrenched in the exploitation cinema of its time, but nods to that kind of seventies American new wave stuff. I love the creepiness of the churchy organ drone soundtrack - really captures the essence of what you imagine these tiny, oppressive backwater communities to be like. Could've just gone for a straight depresso vibe, but there's a cackling black humour at work throughout, and the performances are excellent. In fact, some scenes are somehow totally demented, ie. Roberts B in corpse drag playing the harpsichord (I think, memory a bit hazy as very drunk when viewing). It's always great to reaquaint with films like this, ones which in no way diminish with the passage of time. 'Deranged' is simply a must-see.

gag 25th January 2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 316066)
Went to a double bill of TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE and LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT at the dance house in manchester last night. Texas really benefits from the big screen and it was an entirely fresh experience for me, I came out the theatre reeling and still had the buzzing of the saw ringing in my ears. Really hammered home how much it owes PSYCHO and how much subesquent horror movies owe it. If you ever get the chance check this out on the big screen.

After a beer to steady my nerves post-tcm, I went back to catch LAST HOUSE. Still very rough around the edges and uneven, this still adds to the verite feel of the film and was uncomfortable viewing. (aside from one person somewhere in the theatre who thought the shot of krugs apparent post rape remorse was funny :crazy:) Like TCM it was good to see it on a big screen, and it still packs a punch.Also still weird to tee martin kove (karate kid) as the dumb deputy!

Tcm doesnt realy owe psycho alfred hitchcock admitted if it wasnt for ed gein he wouldnt have made psycho and we all know tcm wouldnt have been made either for the same reason..(little bit of trivia you might or might not know)...Ed gein is the most potraid real person in history in films that have been inspired because of him and that wouldnt probably wouldnt have been made otherwise ..

tcm
Psycho
Motel hell
Four on a meathook
Silence of the lambs

As we are aware of the above are the most well known films there is quite a lot of films about him like deranged. Butcher of plainfield, in the light of the moon and many more.

keirarts 25th January 2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 316233)
Tcm doesnt realy owe psycho alfred hitchcock admitted if it wasnt for ed gein he wouldnt have made psycho and we all know tcm wouldnt have been made either for the same reason..(little bit of trivia you might or might not know)...Ed gein is the most potraid real person in history in films that have been inspired because of him and that wouldnt probably wouldnt have been made otherwise ..

tcm
Psycho
Motel hell
Four on a meathook
Silence of the lambs

As we are aware of the above are the most well known films there is quite a lot of films about him like deranged. Butcher of plainfield, in the light of the moon and many more.

I would disagree. Ed gein is certainly the main inspiration for both films as well as the others you listed, but in terms of style, and the way TCM is shot, hooper was clearly influenced by psycho. From the entire way the film is made to seem far more violent than it is through creative use of camera angles and sound design down to the matter-of-fact way the private detective is dispatched I would argue strongly that psycho was a major influence on the TECHNUIQUES hooper used when making the film.

gag 25th January 2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 316235)
I would disagree. Ed gein is certainly the main inspiration for both films as well as the others you listed, but in terms of style, and the way TCM is shot, hooper was clearly influenced by psycho. From the entire way the film is made to seem far more violent than it is through creative use of camera angles and sound design down to the matter-of-fact way the private detective is dispatched I would argue strongly that psycho was a major influence on the TECHNUIQUES hooper used when making the film.

I agree that the way its potrayed that both films seem more violent than they actual are. When someone says to me tcm is gory and violent i replie are you sure you actualu watched it because in actual terms of gore and violence it is realy on the slim and low side and like stated its all down to how its potrayed...there is films out there that are ten folds more gore and violence and not even got as much attention as Tcm..

gag 25th January 2013 04:01 PM

just watched dredd as much as i enjoyed it i do think it was slighlty over hyped,

Nordicdusk 25th January 2013 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 98049

This has to be the most downbeat film i have ever seen. It holds the atmosphere of no hope from start to finish its just a constant downward spiral. Its a great film but as Suzi said in my Combat Shock thread its not an easy watch. I have heard that said many times and never found it to be true until today. Im off to have a shower to wash the dirty feeling off my skin after watching this.

I do recommend it but not if your wanting an uplifting or fun film.

Hawkmonger 25th January 2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 316286)
just watched dredd as much as i enjoyed it i do think it was slighlty over hyped,

GTFO! WTF IZ WONG WID U MAEEN? :censored:

:p I jest of cause. Each to there own, I said the same about The Dark Knight.

Slippery Jack 25th January 2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 316057)
But does he? :confused:

Yes :nod:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 316058)

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 316059)
Was he from Blighty in the first place?

I’m more than happy to see it as a guy simply going nuts in an unfamiliar environment. As in something like Clean, Shaven, it’s the unique depiction of mental collapse that most appeals to me. I certainly don’t buy into the notion that there are any supernatural forces at play!

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th January 2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 316306)

I’m more than happy to see it as a guy simply going nuts in an unfamiliar environment. As in something like Clean, Shaven, it’s the unique depiction of mental collapse that most appeals to me. I certainly don’t buy into the notion that there are any supernatural forces at play!

So what actually happened to him then? How come he disappeared into the screen?

How come the voices all changed to Italian?

keirarts 25th January 2013 06:02 PM

ONE GOOD COP.

Solid, well directed thriller with a great performance from michael keaton. Mill creeks blu-ray looks great as well. Not a lot more to say about this, its not a remarkable film but its very watchable.

trebor8273 25th January 2013 06:20 PM

Watching American Mary and will not be able to look at Betty boop without feel physically sick.

Glad I'm not the only one who didn't understand beriberian sound studio, thought it was me being a bit slow and when he started speaking Italian I thought therea was something wrong with the blu ray or player:lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th January 2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 316333)
Glad I'm not the only one who didn't understand beriberian sound studio, thought it was me being a bit slow and when he started speaking Italian I thought therea was something wrong with the blu ray or player:lol:

In the commentary, the director Peter Strickland says he only did it because so many Italian films have scenes where the dub goes missing and subtitles are used.

Rik 25th January 2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 316298)
GTFO! WTF IZ WONG WID U MAEEN? :censored:

:p I jest of cause. Each to there own, I said the same about The Dark Knight.

If you don't like Gag's comment, you're gonna hate mine. I turned it off after ten minutes :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th January 2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 316352)
If you don't like Gag's comment, you're gonna hate mine. I turned it off after ten minutes :)

That bad?

Rik 25th January 2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 316353)
That bad?

Slow motion CGI bullets into a fat guy was enough for me :lol:
I'll probably give it another go this weekend, luckily it's a rental disc

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th January 2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 316354)
Slow motion CGI bullets into a fat guy was enough for me :lol:
I'll probably give it another go this weekend, luckily it's a rental disc

Ooh! not good.

Rik 25th January 2013 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 316357)
Ooh! not good.

I lied, it was 23 minutes that I lasted :lol:

Attachment 98074

Dave Boy 25th January 2013 07:23 PM

Nude Nuns With Big Guns (2010)

Delirium 25th January 2013 07:25 PM

The other half and I watched Les Misérables. I'll admit my cynicism up front, but thought it was absolutely magnificent! Incredible production values, rousing songs, beautifully performed - Hugh Jackman's musical roots shone through, and I found Anne Hathaway's delicate performance both breathtaking and heartbreaking. I also didn't think old Russell Crowe did too bad either - he was the weakest vocally, but he gave it his all and performed admirably. All in all a top notch piece of cinema, and one demanding of the big screen.

And today we caught Django Unchained. Really enjoyed this too. Good to hear Bacalov's original theme used during the credits. Thought Jamie Foxx was terrific and a compelling lead. Christolph Waltz is always guaranteed value for money and thoroughly entertaining. And I was delighted to see Franco Nero in a cameo, but guessed that was coming from the trailer. Loved the other cameos too: Bruce Dern, Don Johnson, Michael Parks. Overall it wasn't dissimilar to Inglorious Basterds, but Tarantino has certainly matured as a filmmaker while successfully honing his trademarks.