Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

trebor8273 20th January 2013 12:55 PM

Think of watching the damned(Oliver reed 1961) witch was a impulse buy, has anyone seen it?

pedromonkey 20th January 2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 314208)
Think of watching the damned(Oliver reed 1961) witch was a impulse buy, has anyone seen it?

The Damned is a fantastic film. Definitely a good impulse buy.

Rik 20th January 2013 01:07 PM

Just finished watching the Amazing Spider-man for the first time since I took my son to watch it at the cinema. As much as I like the Sam Raimi films, this is better IMO and I'm looking forward to the sequel next year. I've always preferred Emma Stone to Kirsten Dull anyway, so that helps ;)

Oh, the blu ray looks and sounds terrific, I even forgot that we'd seen it in 3D at the cinema

wongfeihung62 20th January 2013 01:09 PM

DREDD
GRABBERS
THE WARRIOR'S WAY
THE WATCH

I will be watching LAWLESS in a while.

Susan Foreman 20th January 2013 02:53 PM

What have I seen recently?

From the sublime:

'The Devil's Backbone' - Guillermo's ghost story, set during the Spanish civil war

to the ridiculous:

'The Devil's Kiss' - Zombies, Satanic rituals, dwarfs, 1970's fashions!!!

Actually, both films were very entertaining, but one of them was entertaining for all the wrong reasons!

nekromantik 20th January 2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 314211)
Just finished watching the Amazing Spider-man for the first time since I took my son to watch it at the cinema. As much as I like the Sam Raimi films, this is better IMO and I'm looking forward to the sequel next year. I've always preferred Emma Stone to Kirsten Dull anyway, so that helps ;)

Oh, the blu ray looks and sounds terrific, I even forgot that we'd seen it in 3D at the cinema

I love the movie but the blu in 3D is not good. It lacks 3D depth in most of the movie. Only the scenes where he is swinging from buildings do you see the 3D effect. In cinemas the was some pretty good effects but all lost on the blu.

I think the best 3D blu I have watched is Prometheus, Avatar, Final Destination 4-5 and Dredd

Justin101 20th January 2013 03:04 PM

http://up.cf2.letterboxd.com/assets/...g?k=faf51d3adc

St. Elmo’s Fire ★★★

Pretty good but way too sentimental - to be honest I think it only got 3 stars because I got a buzz from seeing the cast all looking really young.

I might watch the Schumacher filmography actually, he gets slagged off for his 2 Batman films but he does have some pretty good films under his belt, this however is not one of them :lol: although being his first feature I feel inclined to cut him some slack.

pedromonkey 20th January 2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 314233)
http://up.cf2.letterboxd.com/assets/...g?k=faf51d3adc

St. Elmo’s Fire ★★★

Pretty good but way too sentimental - to be honest I think it only got 3 stars because I got a buzz from seeing the cast all looking really young.

I might watch the Schumacher filmography actually, he gets slagged off for his 2 Batman films but he does have some pretty good films under his belt, this however is not one of them :lol: although being his first feature I feel inclined to cut him some slack.

Falling Down is easily my favorite film of his...

Rik 20th January 2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 314228)
I love the movie but the blu in 3D is not good. It lacks 3D depth in most of the movie. Only the scenes where he is swinging from buildings do you see the 3D effect. In cinemas the was some pretty good effects but all lost on the blu.

I think the best 3D blu I have watched is Prometheus, Avatar, Final Destination 4-5 and Dredd

Glad I watched it in 2D then, I don't have the capabilities for 3D ;)

Handyman Joe 20th January 2013 03:28 PM

I watched Moonrise Kingdom last night and really enjoyed it. Rushmore was so brilliant, so perfect for me that everything Wes Anderson has done since has felt like an anti climax, but at last he's nearly matched it. Its no coincidence that, like Rushmore it features a depiction of awkward adolescence. When he's got adults front and centre, Anderson's films feel too wacky and forced but with da kids - his style is perfect.

Dave Boy 20th January 2013 03:46 PM

My Bloody Valentine Uncut(1981)
Terror Train (1980)
Homicidal (1961)
The Tingler (1959)

SShaw 20th January 2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 314197)

Beasts Of The Southern Wild - While occasionally displaying brief moments of interesting direction and charm, I personally found this to be an often irritating 'manufactured' and intentionally quirky movie with the sole purpose of making people go 'awwww' come Oscar time. Easily the most egregiously overrated film of the past few years for me. Avoid. :doh:

Where did you pick this up from? I'm interested to see it myself as the review/opinion has been pretty evenly split.

Gojirosan 20th January 2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 314244)
I watched Moonrise Kingdom last night and really enjoyed it. Rushmore was so brilliant, so perfect for me that everything Wes Anderson has done since has felt like an anti climax, but at last he's nearly matched it. Its no coincidence that, like Rushmore it features a depiction of awkward adolescence. When he's got adults front and centre, Anderson's films feel too wacky and forced but with da kids - his style is perfect.

Moonrise Kingdom is Anderson's best for me. Blew me away.

Invid Ninja 20th January 2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 314248)
Where did you pick this up from? I'm interested to see it myself as the review/opinion has been pretty evenly split.

Someone sent me a DVD screener copy file from the internet, it did not play anywhere near me in cinemas and the U.S. by the time I got it had the film already on disc. So I was being a pirate yo ho. :loco:

JoshuaKaitlyn 20th January 2013 05:50 PM

A Christmas Carol (1910)
Frankenstein (1910)
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1910)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post314272

mercury 20th January 2013 06:01 PM

Death Rides a Horse....not the greatest western but enjoyable and held my attention throughout.
Se7en....Not bad but I found myself knowing what was going to happen before it did and it kind of ruined it for me:(

SShaw 20th January 2013 06:03 PM

Todays films were:

Age of heroes a film inspired by the real life exploits of 30 Commando during the second world war. This stars Sean Bean, doing his best to sound posh as the major commanding an operation to assault a Nazi radar station in snowy Norway and Danny Dyer (giving one of his usual performances) as a misfit infantry corporal released from military prison to take part in the raid. Its relatively low budget, but this doesn't hamper things too much and the film is a slightly above average effort and well worth the €5 I paid for the bluray.

and The Incident (German Bluray) a group of friends play together in a rock band at night and work together in the kitchen of an asylum for the criminally insane. A power cut during an electrical storm frees the asylums and the friends must battle to survive. I missed this on the festival circuit last year, and to be honest picked it up accidentally when I mistook it for another film.But I am glad I did because it is above average and deserves a rental at the very least.

Back to the Roger Moore Bond films tomorrow.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th January 2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 314282)
Todays films were:

Age of heroes a film inspired by the real life exploits of 30 Commando during the second world war. This stars Sean Bean, doing his best to sound posh as the major commanding an operation to assault a Nazi radar station in snowy Norway and Danny Dyer (giving one of his usual performances) as a misfit infantry corporal released from military prison to take part in the raid. Its relatively low budget, but this doesn't hamper things too much and the film is a slightly above average effort and well worth the €5 I paid for the bluray.

What happened to Sean Bean?

He just disappears. :lol:

SShaw 20th January 2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 314294)
What happened to Sean Bean?

He just disappears. :lol:

Yeah :lol: Perhaps he falls through a crack in the space-time continuum and finds himself in Napoleonic Europe.

I missed something (some text or something similar) at the end to explain what happened to him and the sergeant. I guess this is why it is inspired and not based on true events. I need to have a look through the deleted scenes to see if they shed any light on what happened. I did see on the making of doc that they had setbacks during the filming when the entire cast and crew were struck down by a virus. Perhaps they ran out of ti,e to shoot some key scenes?

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th January 2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 314314)
Yeah :lol: Perhaps he falls through a crack in the space-time continuum and finds himself in Napoleonic Europe.

I missed something (some text or something similar) at the end to explain what happened to him and the sergeant. I guess this is why it is inspired and not based on true events. I need to have a look through the deleted scenes to see if they shed any light on what happened. I did see on the making of doc that they had setbacks during the filming when the entire cast and crew were struck down by a virus. Perhaps they ran out of ti,e to shoot some key scenes?

It only needed a brief voice over saying "Sean Bean escaped into the woods and met up with a band of Hobbits" or something. :lol:

J Harker 20th January 2013 08:09 PM

Right I just watched this Berberian Sound Studio thingy. Someone want to tell me what the bloody hell I've just seen??

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th January 2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 314317)
Right I just watched this Berberian Sound Studio thingy. Someone want to tell me what the bloody hell I've just seen??

Its very much open to interpretation.

What do you think you've just seen?

SShaw 20th January 2013 08:14 PM

Wrong question. What do you think you just heard?

Slippery Jack 20th January 2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 314244)
When he's got adults front and centre, Anderson's films feel too wacky and forced but with da kids - his style is perfect.

Indeed. I'd lost all faith after the horrible Darjeeling Limited, but Moonrise Kingdom restored it. Think one of my dream graphics jobs would be to work on the props for a Wes Anderson film :nod: . . .

J Harker 20th January 2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 314318)
Its very much open to interpretation.

What do you think you've just seen?

Well I think in order to answer that a second viewing is required. Even then I'm not convinced there is a real explanation.

Justin101 20th January 2013 08:59 PM

Watched There Will Be Blood, so I've had the blu-ray since release day, it's been sat on the shelf, it's been moved to the watch pile, it's been moved back the shelf... This has gone on for some time.
Why the bloody hell did I wait so long to watch this awesome film, seriously it's a work of art, everything about it was right. Easily the best thing I've seen in a long time.

JoshuaKaitlyn 20th January 2013 09:11 PM

Lawless (2012)
Based on the novel, 'The Wettest County in the World' by Matt Bondurant, this gangster movie tells the story of three brothers, who are the authors grandfather and granduncles, who run a moonshine operation in Franklin County during Prohibition United States.
Their business was a success until one day a new Special Deputy arrives whose boss wants a cut of the profits. Forrest, the leader of the brothers refuses and makes an enemy of the deputy who sets out to ruin the Bondurant's business. But tragedy strikes and Jack the younger brother sets out for revenge.
This not your typical gangster movie, its not set in a big city, not everyone is sharply dressed carrying Thompson's and driving Model T's. These are cardigan wearing, sockless folk who are making a living distilling and selling their own 'shine'. Nor is the violence of the couple of slaps variety. This is brutal violence, knuckle-dusters and throat cutting, and yet I felt as if something missing. I was expecting more, more action maybe! But real events aren't always about action and I'm probably accustomed to the likes of the more action orientated gangster movies, you know, the ones where everyone is sharply dressed carrying Thompsons and driving Model T's.

J Harker 20th January 2013 09:16 PM

Must be honest I wasn't overly impressed with There Will Be Blood. Didn't dislike it necessarily and Ddd was as impressive as ever but on the whole I'm sorry to say I found it a bit overlong and tedious.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st January 2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 314346)
Watched There Will Be Blood, so I've had the blu-ray since release day, it's been sat on the shelf, it's been moved to the watch pile, it's been moved back the shelf... This has gone on for some time.
Why the bloody hell did I wait so long to watch this awesome film, seriously it's a work of art, everything about it was right. Easily the best thing I've seen in a long time.

I watched it a month or so ago for the first time in ages and it reaffirmed my belief that it is one of the greatest films ever made and, in 10 or 20 years time, the Sight & Sound poll will reflect this.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st January 2013 09:00 AM

I'm making good progress on my Best Picture Oscar winners challenge – these are the films I watched last week:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...psbe9aa4f4.jpg

PaulD 21st January 2013 09:06 AM

Hawkmonger's gonna see that and get all excited at thinking that Dredd was a Best Picture winner :)

Hawkmonger 21st January 2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 314399)
Hawkmonger's gonna see that and get all excited at thinking that Dredd was a Best Picture winner :)

It mother ****ing should be! :censored:

:laugh::p

sawyer6 21st January 2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314400)
It mother ****ing should be! :censored:

:laugh::p

There is a chance for the Razzies so you can hope :lol:

bdc 21st January 2013 09:44 AM

I'd like your thoughts on Bio-Zombie BE...
Did you watch a dubbed or subbed version and did you watch the alternate ending? ;)

Hawkmonger 21st January 2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 314401)
There is a chance for the Razzies so you can hope :lol:

Nah, Twishite Breaking Shit part Deux is gonna sweep it this year! Interesting how Urban can do a better performance than either Pattinson or Lautner with half his face covered, don't you think? And he can keep his ****ing shirt on! AND DELIVER A LINE WITH EMOTION! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! NEEEEERD RAAAAGE!!!!

sawyer6 21st January 2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314404)
Nah, Twishite Breaking Shit part Deux is gonna sweep it this year! Interesting how Urban can do a better performance than either Pattinson or Lautner with half his face covered, don't you think? And he can keep his ****ing shirt on! AND DELIVER A LINE WITH EMOTION! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! NEEEEERD RAAAAGE!!!!

I just checked ,no nomination for Dredd

PaulD 21st January 2013 10:04 AM

Recent viewings:

Berberian Sound Studio (2012) - a far more appreciative second viewing. A film about the sound of horror and the horror of sound. And much more. Has a dreamy Lynchian "is it or isn't it?" vibe which seems to be open to different interpretations without it seeming like a cop out. Excellent sound design too. I can't wait to watch it again with the commentary, not in hope of a concrete of an explanation but just to find out more about the film's production.

Django Unchained (2012) - an excellent, if at times frustrating, entry into Tarantino's filmography. Uncomfortable at times but also darkly witty with some excellent scenes of violence towards the end, it wears its influences on its sleeve but in a way which will won't annoy Tarantino aficionados (although I doubt it'll change the mind of his detractors much). The performances are uniformly excellent; the interaction between Jaime Fox and Christoph Waltz is fantastic, DiCaprio is magnificently evil and disgusting and Samuel L Jackson practically steals the show with his disturbing portrayal as a house slave. Some moments don't work (the jarring Jonah Hill comedy scene for one), Tarantino's "G'day mayte!" appearance is a shocker and it could have been leaner, tighter and 30 minutes shorter but overall I was very impressed.

Dead and Buried (1981) - feels like a Stephen King story done by John Carpenter. Or something. I really enjoyed this. That is all

Smiley (2012) - Bloody Mary for the Chatroulette age. Candyman for the terminally braindead. A group of college kids become involved in the urban legend of Smiley; a killer who is summoned if you type "I did it for the lulz" 3 times to someone via video chat. I am not making this up. Needless to say it's abysmal. Plot hole upon plot hole combine with bad performances and dialogue to make a laughable attempt at a new slasher franchise with an absurd nonsensical ending.

sawyer6 21st January 2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 314407)
Recent viewings:

Berberian Sound Studio (2012) - a far more appreciative second viewing. A film about the sound of horror and the horror of sound. And much more. Has a dreamy Lynchian "is it or isn't it?" vibe which seems to be open to different interpretations without it seeming like a cop out. Excellent sound design too. I can't wait to watch it again with the commentary, not in hope of a concrete of an explanation but just to find out more about the film's production.

Django Unchained (2012) - an excellent, if at times frustrating, entry into Tarantino's filmography. Uncomfortable at times but also darkly witty with some excellent scenes of violence towards the end, it wears its influences on its sleeve but in a way which will won't annoy Tarantino aficionados (although I doubt it'll change the mind of his detractors much). The performances are uniformly excellent; the interaction between Jaime Fox and Christoph Waltz is fantastic, DiCaprio is magnificently evil and disgusting and Samuel L Jackson practically steals the show with his disturbing portrayal as a house slave. Some moments don't work (the jarring Jonah Hill comedy scene for one), Tarantino's "G'day mayte!" appearance is a shocker and it could have been leaner, tighter and 30 minutes shorter but overall I was very impressed.

Dead and Buried (1981) - feels like a Stephen King story done by John Carpenter. Or something. I really enjoyed this. That is all

Smiley (2012) - Bloody Mary for the Chatroulette age. Candyman for the terminally braindead. A group of college kids become involved in the urban legend of Smiley; a killer who is summoned if you type "I did it for the lulz" 3 times to someone via video chat. I am not making this up. Needless to say it's abysmal. Plot hole upon plot hole combine with bad performances and dialogue to make a laughable attempt at a new slasher franchise with an absurd nonsensical ending.

Consider that Django Unchained was longer ,over 3 hours

PaulD 21st January 2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 314409)
Consider that Django Unchained was longer ,over 3 hours

Do you mean originally? It doesn't surprised me. There's just not enough story there for it to be the length it is. Considering how Tarantino is such a fan of exploitation films it surprises me his films of late are always overly long.

sawyer6 21st January 2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 314410)
Do you mean originally? It doesn't surprised me. There's just not enough story there for it to be the length it is. Considering how Tarantino is such a fan of exploitation films it surprises me his films of late are always overly long.

Yes,he is planning to release an extended cut in the future