Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th January 2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 314057)
Indeed :( Just read a review and checked out the prices on amazon . . .

Why? :rolleyes:

Don't you believe what Frankie said about the film? :mmph:

Did you need another opinion? :mmph:

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th January 2013 06:51 PM

:D Only kidding SJ.

I'm in a good mood. :)

Jinx_Barkman 19th January 2013 07:15 PM

I took a trip to France and stopped at a few castles along the way.:p

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Redemption's blu ray's are wonderful! Certainly an improvement over anything I've ever seen.

J Harker 19th January 2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314007)
Broke my foot at Karate last night so been A&E last night getting it plaster casted. As such had a (sadly to) lazy morning watching a few back catalogue BD's. SF Halloween 2 and 3 first, bloody amazing is what they are. Might move my copy of Terror Train and They Live slightly higher up now. Then came MIB3, after the dissapointment of the second film this re-nevigorated my love for the original as a child. Will Smith is hilarious in this ("Just co's you see a black guy driving a fancy car doesn't mean it's stolen!...well I DID steal that one but...) and Boris is a suitably ugly alien. Clever bit of scene making when all the aliens scene in the 60's are suitably retro.

MIB3 was great, much better than the second one. I loved the way they managed to work a backstory for K in without contadicting the original. And Josh Brolin was perfect for the young K.
Sorry to hear about your foot fella, but at least you got an excuse to sit and watch some films hey.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

trebor8273 19th January 2013 08:03 PM

Watching the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy(tv series not the film). After I've finished will listen to the radio show.

Buboven 19th January 2013 08:37 PM

The Kindred (1987). Great 80 VHS Creature Feature, which I assume is relatively unknown. 2 bad cause its honestly up there with From Beyond. Great fun. Bad ass creature effects and design. 9/10. PLZ ARROW RELEASE THIS!

trebor8273 19th January 2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buboven (Post 314089)
The Kindred (1987). Great 80 VHS Creature Feature, which I assume is relatively unknown. 2 bad cause its honestly up there with From Beyond. Great fun. Bad ass creature effects and design. 9/10. PLZ ARROW RELEASE THIS!

Great film had completely forgot about this little gem until you reminded me.

Nordicdusk 19th January 2013 08:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buboven (Post 314089)

The Kindred would be a great Arrow release. Its been years since i last watched it.

Both these would look great in the slip case panels.

Attachment 97421 Attachment 97422

Buboven 19th January 2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 314094)
The Kindred would be a great Arrow release. Its been years since i last watched it.

Both these would look great in the slip case panels.

Attachment 97421 Attachment 97422

Especially since it has never had a single DVD release. If Arrow could clean up a available print then we could see, for example see the creature in all its glory. The version i just watched was clearly from a VHS copy. Still kicked ass though.

keirarts 19th January 2013 10:00 PM

CARNIVAL OF SOULS.

Shot by industrial/commercial film-maker Herk Harvey on a shoestring budget with a cast of unknowns in Kansas and utah, carnival of souls was not a big hit on its release. Owing more to arthouse films like orphee than its drive-in contemporaries seeing this film on its first run must have been a bizarre experience. The film is a strange, at times surreal and otherworldly experience and uses one great location, an abandoned fun fair on a salt lake to amazing effect. The film also uses a plot twist now severley overwoked, but at the time was probably a lot more fresh. The network dvd release is great, uncut and has an interesting kim newman and stephen jones commentary track. Though if you have the cash theres a two disc version released stateside released by criterion thats going for about £19.

JoshuaKaitlyn 19th January 2013 10:11 PM

The Curtain Pole (1909)
A Midsummer Night's Dream (1909)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post314113

Hawkmonger 19th January 2013 10:14 PM

Berberian Sound Studio: People. Stop reading this and go and watch this right now. Everything you hear is true, a beautiful, stunning depiction pf a decent into madness and the cinematography is stunning. Performances are solid and well accomplished and the clever use of camera angles add gore where it is not. Of the movies I saw from 2012, this is now in second place. A stunning accomplishment.

Nordicdusk 19th January 2013 10:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 97425 Attachment 97426

Happiness of the Katakuris

Attachment 97427

:lol: Interesting very very interesting.

SShaw 19th January 2013 10:38 PM

Finally, 19 days into the new year I made my first trip to the cinema to see Django Unchained. It has everything we have come to expect from a Tarantino film - the soundtrack, the dialogue, the violence, the references/quotations from other film makers and films, the director cameo, long forgotten actors, Zoe Bell etc. It was great. However, if you want to be picky it is, like most of Tarantino's recent efforts, perhaps 10 minutes longer than it needs to be. He really needs to find an editor who can contain his excesses. Highly recommended, if this is still the only Orignal Fassung film playing next weekend then I will go and see it again. It is going to take a very good year for this not to make my personal top 10 of 2013.

Oh and the Die Hard trailer beforehand looked awesome, the Star Trek trailer less so.

nekromantik 19th January 2013 11:41 PM

Just seen Dredd 3D.

Its a very fun flick! loved it.
Shame it bombed at the cinema. I hope they make a sequel.
Not seen the original Judge Dredd film but dont really want to!

J Harker 20th January 2013 08:01 AM

Ma-ma is not the law.
I am the law!

PaulD 20th January 2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 314130)
Just seen Dredd 3D.

I agree. I'm really looking forward to revisiting it in glorious 2D when the price drops.

My recent viewings have been a rewatch of Berberian Sound Studio and Django Unchained, both of which were fantastic. Really enjoyed the former a lot more this time round.

trebor8273 20th January 2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 314130)
Just seen Dredd 3D.

Do yourself a favour and don't see the original, I thought dredd did quite well, at least in the uk

J Harker 20th January 2013 08:13 AM

While they're very different films I really like the original. That said I'm not particularly familiar with the source material so I wasn't concerned that Stallones version wasnt very faithful.

Hawkmonger 20th January 2013 08:19 AM

I'd take Urban's stubly chinage over the cliff,point of Stallones any day! Indeed, Urban growing whiskers for the role is prity much the deepest detraction from the source material! I may be biased but it was my fave movie of the year, it was a faithful addaptation of a great franchise that thankfully does seem to have clicked with a number of American viewers (Critc Brad Jones ranked it as his fave film of the year, 3 places above The Raid and 8 places above Looper) and the source material has been selling even faster than the BD's (which are sold out in many outlets from what statistics show), so who knows, positive word of mouth and high home entertainmet sale's might just swing a sequel as a positive risk.

J Harker 20th January 2013 08:30 AM

Can't argue that it's an awesome film. And someone should give Urban an Oscar because he was superb.

Linbro 20th January 2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 313886)
Absentia - 2011 USA d: Mike Flanagan

Damn near brilliant monster mystery reminiscent of the works of Ramsey Campbell. Genuinely unsettling in atmosphere and with a wonderful cast. It's open to interpretation (unreliable narrator?) or reads as a straight horror tale; the script is very fine indeed (the occasional clunky dialogue aside). Shot on a DSLR, it has that "Home Movie Realism" look, but here it suits the piece rather than distracts, and this is accompanied by a wonderful enveloping soundtrack of drones and chirps and swooshes and a superb minimalist score which is simply perfect for the film.

The tone and subject were right up my alley (tunnel?) and I was astounded by how good I found this to be. I recommend this a lot. One of the best horror films of the last few years.

Have just ordered the BluRay from Amazon.de - have been waiting for a local release for ages, got sick of waiting.
Gojirosan, are you a Campbell fan?

Justin101 20th January 2013 09:13 AM

So last night I watched one of those films that you feel you should have watched years ago and embarrassed because you've never seen it. I watched Casablanca and it was great! So many quotable lines, although it was surprising that the most quoted line is a misquote and no-one says 'play it again Sam' in this movie :lol:
Ingrid Bergman is gorgeous as well, you could just spend the entire time watching the film just looking at her face!

sawyer6 20th January 2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 314159)
So last night I watched one of those films that you feel you should have watched years ago and embarrassed because you've never seen it. I watched Casablanca and it was great! So many quotable lines, although it was surprising that the most quoted line is a misquote and no-one says 'play it again Sam' in this movie :lol:
Ingrid Bergman is gorgeous as well, you could just spend the entire time watching the film just looking at her face!

Better late than never ;)

Gojirosan 20th January 2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linbro (Post 314154)
Have just ordered the BluRay from Amazon.de - have been waiting for a local release for ages, got sick of waiting.
Gojirosan, are you a Campbell fan?

I am, not read any of his more recent stuff but I know his work up to "House On Nazareth Hill" well.

I used to know him. He's a local radio film critic, and I did film writing for some local magazines for a few years at the start of the 90s. Sadly lost touch with him and his family.

Rik 20th January 2013 10:25 AM

I've never seen it either and I'm not ashamed to admit it, same goes for Citizen Kane, Gone With The Wind and many other "classics", not my cup of tea regardless of how everyone says they're brilliant films and should be seen at least once

nekromantik 20th January 2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 314148)
Do yourself a favour and don't see the original, I thought dredd did quite well, at least in the uk

Oh dont worry I wont be watching it! The things I heard and even the trailer made me think its going to be a pile of you know what!

Shame EIV messed up the encode, there are quite a few very noisy scenes that distract even in 3D. The US disc is meant to be very good PQ in 3D. I did not pay for UK disc as it was from a voucher but when the Euro or US release drops in price I will double dip.

Gojirosan 20th January 2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 314170)
I've never seen it either and I'm not ashamed to admit it, same goes for Citizen Kane, Gone With The Wind and many other "classics", not my cup of tea regardless of how everyone says they're brilliant films and should be seen at least once

It's hard to be angry with you when you have Darren McGavin there to make me go all smiley! :lol:

Justin101 20th January 2013 10:34 AM

Gone with the Wind is awesome :lol: I've never seen Citizen Kane though, it'd be hard to view that these days because all the film techniques it pioneered are all common place now so it's not going to have the impact that it once had.

keirarts 20th January 2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 314170)

To be honest i'm usually quite skeptical about alleged 'classics'. I loved cassablanca, citizen kane, it's a wonderful life ect.. But honestly I thought gone with the wind to be an overlong piece of s***, tedious and overwrought.

Perhaps my own biggest heresy was thinking the soderbergh/clooney remake of solaris to be a much better film than the origional. Though I found out recently mark kermode agrees with me on that one.

Hawkmonger 20th January 2013 10:38 AM

And of cause, Kermode himself is perfectly respectable. Can't stand the guy tbh.

Rik 20th January 2013 10:38 AM

I can add It's A Wonderful Life to that list too :behindsofa:

J Harker 20th January 2013 10:38 AM

The word classic is thrown around far too easy. To me a 'classic' should endlessly rewatchable. That I actually think applies to Casablanca. Gone With The Wind? No. Watch it once, job done. Don't know about Kane. Tried it but didn't last long, it bored me.

Justin101 20th January 2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314175)
And of cause, Kermode himself is perfectly respectable. Can't stand the guy tbh.

I used to have the same opinion but I read his 2 books and went to a lecture he did and I changed my mind he's actually a very funny guy with some interesting opinions :lol:

Linbro 20th January 2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 314169)
I am, not read any of his more recent stuff but I know his work up to "House On Nazareth Hill" well.

I used to know him. He's a local radio film critic, and I did film writing for some local magazines for a few years at the start of the 90s. Sadly lost touch with him and his family.

He's my favourite author, by a long way. I re-read all his short story collections, in order, last year. He's the sort of writer that pulls you into his 'world', and it can be very hard to move onto something else. After I finished my re-read, I kept wanting to return to his work - doesn't help the to-be-read pile!
Crying shame that more of his stories haven't been adapted for the screen - an anthology type film would be ideal.

Gojirosan 20th January 2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linbro (Post 314179)
He's my favourite author, by a long way. I re-read all his short story collections, in order, last year. He's the sort of writer that pulls you into his 'world', and it can be very hard to move onto something else. After I finished my re-read, I kept wanting to return to his work - doesn't help the to-be-read pile!
Crying shame that more of his stories haven't been adapted for the screen - an anthology type film would be ideal.

I agree on all points!

trebor8273 20th January 2013 11:17 AM

Watching piranha 3d for 2.50 thought I would give it a go, and need more 3d movies. Makes me feel old that Elizabeth Shue is a teenagers mother, As I remember her from films of MY teenage years.

Justin101 20th January 2013 11:29 AM

She's 49 now! it was over 20 years ago when she was in Back to the Future 2 & 3... thinking like that makes ME feel old :lol: I saw them both in the cinema when they came out, tickets cost £1.00 for the Saturday matinee and they still had an ice cream break in the middle :lol:

Invid Ninja 20th January 2013 11:38 AM

Haven't been on much recently but I did watch a bunch of films yesterday, some brand new films and some old favourites but I will mention the new ones:

Beasts Of The Southern Wild - While occasionally displaying brief moments of interesting direction and charm, I personally found this to be an often irritating 'manufactured' and intentionally quirky movie with the sole purpose of making people go 'awwww' come Oscar time. Easily the most egregiously overrated film of the past few years for me. Avoid. :doh:

Berberian Sound Studio - Another awards darling I expected little from, especially as many of my peers loathed it. I personally thoroughly enjoyed it, a taut mixture of Blow Out and my kind of wacky albeit unnerving surrealism with a great fish out of water performance from Toby Jones. See it if you are an open fan to horror cinema. :)

Dredd - Rewatching this on Blu my original opinion remains the same, arguably my current favourite comic book action movie; this was the 2000AD movie I wanted since childhood. :clap:

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th January 2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 314192)
She's 49 now! it was over 20 years ago when she was in Back to the Future 2 & 3... thinking like that makes ME feel old :lol: I saw them both in the cinema when they came out, tickets cost £1.00 for the Saturday matinee and they still had an ice cream break in the middle :lol:

How's this for feeling old....if they were to remake Back To The Future, they could do it in 2015, and he'd travel back to 1985. That thought depresses me.