Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

J Harker 25th March 2013 09:11 PM

Bugger all. Oh finished Game of Thrones Season 2. Disappointing, not read the books admittedly, but the second series just introduced too many new characters too quick for my liking. Felt rushed.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th March 2013 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Cutter (2005)

One of the weakest Chuck Norris films i've seen. The film about the cutting of diamonds with Chuck protecting an ageing diamond merchant was just uninspiring and the action scenes were probably the weakest i've seen Norris perform, which is understandable given he would have been around 65 when the film was made, but never the less it was all quick cutaways like Steven Seagal's DTV output rather than actually showing much in the way of full contact.

Don't get me wrong, it was watchable, but Chuck has done far,far better. For Norris completists only.

Invid Ninja 25th March 2013 09:46 PM

One other film I got around to today. :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ovieposter.jpg

G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra (2009) - Don't hate me but, I have a lot of fun with this film. Deliriously stupid but without the grating annoyance of Bay's Transformers films. Not much to say, but I think I'm the only one who's looking forward to the second. I know, shameful. :o

Happy viewing. :popcorn:

Hawkmonger 25th March 2013 09:48 PM

Yup, GIJ:RoC is good fun.:nod:

J Harker 25th March 2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 330635)

G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra (2009) - Don't hate me but, I have a lot of fun with this film. Deliriously stupid but without the grating annoyance of Bay's Transformers films. Not much to say, but I think I'm the only one who's looking forward to the second. I know, shameful. :o

Not at all, I thoroughly enjoyed Rise of the Cobra. One of those films that was way more entertaining than expected. And I expected ok.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

keirarts 25th March 2013 11:01 PM

The Island.

Michael Caine plays a journalist and world's greatest dad off top investigate a spate of missing boats in a group of islands near florida only to discover a group of savage inbred pirates that have been isolated from the modern world. I say worlds greatest dad as caines character lets his son read playboy, buys hin a .22 pistol and takes him off in search of the murderous pirates leading to his son becoming kidnapped, brainwashed and ultimately a killer!
I can see why the film wasnt a big success, tonally the film is all over the place, the opening feels like the hills have eyes on water, with even more eye popping brutality, but then when we get introdued to the pirates they seem....well kind of silly... certainly David warner, michael elphick and tinker from lovejoy failed to elicit any real sense of fear from me. That said the films still entertaining and worth checking out nontheless.

Highlander 2: Renegade edition.

Of all the pointless sequels in the world, Highlander 2 was always the most pointless for me. The film had f*****g ended perfectly, and adding a whole nother lair to the back story, in this case the the immortals are time travelers (or aliens?) and the earth is the future, as soon as more immortals turn up the whole thing kicks offf again. It all feels like a desperate attempt at writing the film out of a corner. Theres some bizarre segways into pantomime humour and michael ironside feels like he's simply doing the worlds worst Clancy brown impression.
The extended and re-edited renegade edition is still a bad film, but its more enjoyably bad, this time round I got to at least enjoy some of the great pre-cg effects work, virginia madsen is hot and the whole silly mess feels like the product of some hollywood execs coke binge that got way out of hand. Idiotic fun.

troggi 25th March 2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 330635)

I concur but, then again, I am a self confessed viewer of, what my wife likes to call, "complete crap." I prefer to see it as the "glorious ephemera of modern society."

So stick that in your pipe and blow bubbles
!:whoo:

Vampix 25th March 2013 11:43 PM

Watched Return of the Living Dead on Blu-ray with the original soundtrack.A great fun film with nice performances from James Karen, Thom Mathews, Don Calfa, Clu Gulager and Linnea Quigley.The tarman is one of my favourite movie zombies of all time, but the zombie extras make-up left a lot to be desired (most of them didn't even look like they had make-up applied).The half-corpse and brain-munching dwarf zombie are faves too. :)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th March 2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 330623)
Was Grave Encounters any good B_E?

It wasn't too bad - of all the pseudo documentary/found footage ghost hunter films I've seen, it's certainly one of the better ones. I've heard that the sequel is awful, though.

jiraffejustin 26th March 2013 12:43 AM

I finally got around to watching The Wicker Man and it was a weird experience. Everything was borderline ridiculous and could easily have come off as ludicrous as the remake. However, it was held in place by a solid performance from Edward Woodward and direction from Robin Hardy. It was also completely bonkers. In a good way of course. Also the soundtrack is very creepy in a folksy way. Just a fantastic, weird film that I have a feeling will be sticking with me for awhile.

I also watched 97 version of Funny Games. Michael Haneke hates his audience. But the film is fantastic.

Metallicbomb 26th March 2013 01:32 AM

Watched
Saw
Saw II
Saw III

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th March 2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 330658)
I also watched 97 version of Funny Games. Michael Haneke hates his audience. But the film is fantastic.

Original or remake?

fuzzymctiger 26th March 2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 330666)
Original or remake?

Pretty sure the 97 one is the original..

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th March 2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 330667)
Pretty sure the 97 one is the original..

I didn't notice the year was in the original post! The original is better than Haneke's American remake, which just seemed pointless.

trebor8273 26th March 2013 09:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
last nights viewings

Make Them Die Slowly 26th March 2013 09:38 AM

ROADHOUSE.. Not much to say about this other than it contains the second best use of a stuffed bear in cinema.

fuzzymctiger 26th March 2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 330668)
I didn't notice the year was in the original post! The original is better than Haneke's American remake, which just seemed pointless.

A local theatre of mine has a Micheal Haneke retrospective on, but they only had the American Funny Games :mmph:

Demoncrat 26th March 2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 330672)
A local theatre of mine has a Micheal Haneke retrospective on, but they only had the American Funny Games :mmph:

Ach, hopeless fools. Was just "describing" (in as vague a way as possible...) FG to a mate, since he's a big Tim Roth fan etc, in the hope that I can show him the original anyhow, and let him suffer the US photocopy on his own. Unlike some friends, he is not subtitlephobic.

J Harker 26th March 2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 330671)
ROADHOUSE.. Not much to say about this other than it contains the second best use of a stuffed bear in cinema.

What's the first?

Rik 26th March 2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 330680)
What's the first?

TED?

PaulD 26th March 2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 330680)
What's the first?

Pfft, Ted!

Has to be Detention, surely?

Make Them Die Slowly 26th March 2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 330685)
Pfft, Ted!

Has to be Detention, surely?

Yep. It's worth checking out for those who haven't seen it or read Mr Teardrop's review of it on this thread.

PaulD 26th March 2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 330708)
Yep. It's worth checking out for those who haven't seen it or read Mr Teardrop's review of it on this thread.

Definitely. It's a really a odd little curio and well worth a watch.

SilverGunnar Hansen 26th March 2013 01:25 PM

Saw a couple of films at a press show yesterday - GI Joe is pretty crap, shame cos I enjoyed the first one, like some fo you guys seem to have too. It's just really bland and incoherent. A few good set-pieces but not really worth wasting your time with.

Dark Skies - had read some bad reviews but I actually quite liked it! Very derivative - basically Poltergeist via The X Files (actually sounds alot like the un-filmed and darker ET sequel), some of it is very hokey but the acting and characters kept me engaged and it does get quite intense at points, some of the best alien horror since the superficially similar Signs.

Spring Breakers - I love Korine's work but not so sure about this, though it usually takes me at least two views to 'click' with his films. Has many great moments but drags quite badly and some of the style works well, some of it is just annoying. Gonna watch it again next week when it comes out!

Rik 26th March 2013 01:43 PM

'Salem's Lot (2004)-More faithful adaption than the Tobe Hooper version, as good though, but still a decent enough TV movie, well worth a watch IMO, I actually enjoyed it more this time round, probably because I've recently re-read King's original novel and watched the older version too in the last week or so

Rik 26th March 2013 03:57 PM

Van Helsing-I like it, sue me :popcorn:

SilverGunnar Hansen 26th March 2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 330731)

Wish I liked it, but it really got my goat! I love The Mummy, Deep Rising and GI Joe, but can't suffer The Mummy Returns and VH. Hope Sommers' remake of When Worlds Collide is good, he's really fun when he gets it right, never seen the original but sounds like it could be fun despite being similar sounding to loads of other stuff.

Hawkmonger 26th March 2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 330731)

Poor CGI aside I think it's a good pop corn flick. :nod:

Bad Taste- I love it. Who doesn't?

The Dirty Pair: The 005 Conspiracy- Not quite as good as Project Eden but a solid story where the titular duo encounter....a conspiracy.:nod:

Rik 26th March 2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 330744)
Poor CGI aside I think it's a good pop corn flick. :nod:

Bad Taste- I love it. Who doesn't?

Yeah, some of the poor CGI really stands out on the Blu Ray, Kate Beckinsale still looks stunning though ;)

And Bad Taste is an awesome film!

tele1962 26th March 2013 05:17 PM

I watched The Wizard Of Oz on Blu Ray last night. What can i say but absolutely jaw dropping, the remastering of this classic has to be seen to be believed. :woot:

trebor8273 26th March 2013 06:43 PM

Just startd deadly blessing witch I've never seen, isn't the husband the guy who was in the fall guy?

Edit
Yes it is now back to the film:popcorn:

Delirium 26th March 2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 330763)
Just startd deadly blessing witch I've never seen, isn't the husband the guy who was in the fall guy?

We will tell you after you've watched the film, as long as you promise to give it your undivided attention. ;)

jiraffejustin 26th March 2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 330668)

I haven't seen the American remake, and honestly, I probably won't. While the original one is really good, Haneke has stated that he thought the story was an American story. Which would explain why he chose to remake it in America.

SShaw 26th March 2013 07:33 PM

Today I watched Westworld which I think is great. Much better than the unacknowledged re-make (Jurassic Park)which is basically a riff on the same plot.

trebor8273 26th March 2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 330775)
Today I watched Westworld which I think is great. Much better than the unacknowledged re-make (Jurassic Park)which is basically a riff on the same plot.

Can really say its a rip off as they where both writing by the same person Michael Crichton

Edit

Sorry you didn't say rip off, we really need a option to delete posts

Frankie Teardrop 27th March 2013 12:12 AM

CHERRY FALLS - Finally got around to watching this after clocking its several positive notices around here. I really enjoyed it, and, although superficially it has that late ninties / early noughties 'horror-lite' (or, to be lazy, 'post-Scream') feel to it, it's actually quite subversive on some levels. Maybe I'm easily amused, but the idea of a bunch of high school seniors organising an orgy in order to avoid being offed by a virginity-fixated killer strikes me as hilarious. This aside, the film's back story is pretty forlorn, and some scenes, like the one in the putative killer's run-down house, really creeped me out and linger on in my mind.

THE LAST BROADCAST - Well known as the forerunner of 'Blair Witch'. It looks really cheap and is a bit clunky in some respects (ie. the 'twist' at the end), but, although it doesn't reach the heights of near hysteria scaled by BWP, I think it succeeds in building an atmosphere of impending near dread, particularly in the latter part of the film (ending notwithstanding). Maybe there's something about the format which lends itself to that doom laden feeling of imminence. Beyond this, there are some interesting but unresolved ideas about construction of 'reality' / perception by the media, and, again on a conceptual level, it at least takes up the baton from 'Cannibal Holocaust' as the next phase in the development of the found-footage subgenre.

THE NEAR ROOM - Another one of the pound shop random buys. It's an interesting Glasgow-noir about a burned out journalist uncovering a mire of corruption in the search for his daughter. I'm surprised it's not better known, given the familiar faces on show and the fact that it's quite stylised and odd in some ways. I mean, it's not screamingly weird or anything, but has that expressively-lit and subtlely disjointed post-'Blood Simple' feel to it. Good. Well, worth a quid anyway.

Jinx_Barkman 27th March 2013 01:25 AM

http://www.channelcanada.com/wp-cont...er-217x300.jpg

Al Pacino plays Phil Spector, one of the most renowned music producers of all time who was tried and convicted of killing a woman in his home. Under the guidance of writer/director David Mamet, Pacino gives a rather deflated performance not reminiscent of the wonderful portrayal of Jack Kevorkian in You Don't Know Jack.

"This is a work of fiction. It’s not based on a true story." These are the words that we first read on the screen. The film presents Phil Spector as being wrongly accused of committing the murder of Lana Clarkson. After his original attorney exits a new crackpot lawyer, Helen Mirren, comes to represent him. Initially, she is not convinced of his innocence. Her goal is to get Spector off on the grounds of a mistrial due to a lack of evidence. After spending time on the case she is later convinced that he is innocent and through a series of ballistics experiments among other things, she is determined to let the truth be known.

Mamet has crafted a competent, well thought out film here but it can't help but be a bit underwhelming. The subject matter does not allow it to be a traditional true crime biopic so Mamet chose to instead present a series of "what if's?" for the viewer to interpret. This works quite well if not a bit questionable. He seems to only present one side of the case, the defense which would be fine if there was more to go on. This is detrimental to the film as incorporating the prosecution's guilty arguments and facts could have made the film much stronger.

The cast does it's job with Mirren being the particular standout. Overall, I would give this a light recommendation. It's a shame because with all of the talent involved in this project it should have been fantastic but alas it fits the definition of mediocrity perfectly.

Metallicbomb 27th March 2013 01:46 AM

Tonight I watched
Saw IV
Saw V
Saw VI
Saw 3D: The Final Chapter

keirarts 27th March 2013 07:18 AM

So i'm going to presume DEADLY BLESSING is out... Well I have mine on pre-order through arrow and its still saying pre-order on their site! :eek:

Fancied watching it recently...

Dave Boy 27th March 2013 09:43 AM

Death Line (1972)

"Mind the doors"!