Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Gojirosan 24th December 2012 07:55 PM

The Divide - 2011 Germany/Us/Canada d: Xavier Gens

As with Frontier(s), Xavier Gens manages to scupper what good there is in this through his compulsion to overindulge himself and consider what he is doing to be far more important than it is. Here he attempts an occasionally passable but ultimately overwrought post-apocalypse drama that brings nothing new to the table other than extremity.

There are some decent performances here, but these are not rĂ´les that require much subtlety, so we're not looking at anything to evoke Brando or such, rather superior stereotype depiction. Ultimately, this is down to the writing, which is really quite half-hearted and formulaic, giving the performers little to do with their caricatures. Technically, it is all very efficient and the film-makers do make a limited budget and sets seem to go a long way.

Two glaring issues are what finally trip up the film. First up, it's really, really, really long. This is basically the kind of B flick that Roger Corman would crank out in under 80 minutes, but here the pretentiousness of the tone behind it drags it out for two very long and ponderous hours. There is much meandering and faffing and not enough getting to the point. Ultimately, it just runs out of steam rather than ending.

Secondly, it has the most awful music throughout. This is miserable, dreary music that takes itself tremendously seriously and just renders things inappropriately camp. Lots of sub-Coldplay, minimal piano over synth rubbish soundtracks badly thought out slow motion scenes and now and then ever-so-mournful cellos break through. It's all so obvious and falls flat on its face.

So, not a success then, yet in its way, nearly watchable enough. The old hands Michael Biehn, Courtney Vance and Rosanna Arquette come out of things best and I suppose it is almost worth watching for them. But at the end of it all, it's another flawed disappointment from Gens.

Nordicdusk 24th December 2012 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 94619

The hairs on my arms stand up as soon as the theme song starts

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th December 2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 305611)
I really enjoyed Santas slay!

So did I. It's far from a classic, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

VicDakin 24th December 2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 305625)
Attachment 94619

The hairs on my arms stand up as soon as the theme song starts

yeah i get the same from this film

rude vulgar and sexist,but that's enough about me.

http://www.onthebusesfanclub.com/sit...aperImage1.jpg

Its A Grand Life On The Buses - Film Theme - YouTube

Delirium 25th December 2012 12:16 AM

The other half and I just did a lovely Christmas Eve gothic double-bill of Terence Fisher's Dracula: Prince of Darkness (Blu) and William/Eva Hyuck's Messiah of Evil (Code Red SE DVD).

Dracula looks terrific of course and is a fine return to form for the count, although this time he remains silent throughout (apart from some howls). The blood is upped, with a gruesome slaughter leading to the count's resurrection. The performances are fun too - I particularly enjoyed Barbara Shelley's transformation from buttoned up English lady to sultry vampiric temptress.

Messiah of Evil is an American production with an Italian look and feel. A supernatural, zombie, body-snatchers amalgamation by way of Argento, MOE is delightfully oddball with some incredible set design - namely the house where our glamorous lead resides, complete with creepy, wall high murals of shadowy figures and a cool swinging bed, beautifully shot by Stephen Katz. Marianna Hill (The Baby) stars and Writer/Directors Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz later penned such titles as American Graffitti and Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom. Huyck also directed Howard the Duck!

A great way to see in Christmas. We even watched the extras on both!

keirarts 25th December 2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 305683)
The other half and I just did a lovely Christmas Eve gothic double-bill of Terence Fisher's Dracula: Prince of Darkness (Blu) and William/Eva Hyuck's Messiah of Evil (Code Red SE DVD).

Dracula looks terrific of course and is a fine return to form for the count, although this time he remains silent throughout (apart from some howls). The blood is upped, with a gruesome slaughter leading to the count's resurrection. The performances are fun too - I particularly enjoyed Barbara Shelley's transformation from buttoned up English lady to sultry vampiric temptress.

Messiah of Evil is an American production with an Italian look and feel. A supernatural, zombie, body-snatchers amalgamation by way of Argento, MOE is delightfully oddball with some incredible set design - namely the house where our glamorous lead resides, complete with creepy, wall high murals of shadowy figures and a cool swinging bed, beautifully shot by Stephen Katz. Marianna Hill (The Baby) stars and Writer/Directors Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz later penned such titles as American Graffitti and Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom. Huyck also directed Howard the Duck!

A great way to see in Christmas. We even watched the extras on both!

Love messiah of evil, interesting to see the walter hill cameo at the beginning!

stuck a review up on amazon for it!

Messiah of Evil: Second Coming DVD 1973 Region 1 US Import NTSC: Amazon.co.uk: Michael Greer, Marianna Hill, Joy Bang, Anitra Ford, Royal Dano, Elisha Cook Jr., Charles Dierkop, Bennie Robinson, Morgan Fisher, Emma Truckman, Dyanne Asimow, Herb Margo

Susan Foreman 25th December 2012 10:37 AM

'HUSH'

Crap film - certainly charity shop material!

Gojirosan 25th December 2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 305707)
'HUSH'

:eek:

:eek::eek:

Slippery Jack 25th December 2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

'HUSH'

Is that the one with the motorway services? I thought the first half of that was pretty good! Motorway service stations are surprisingly cinematic :nod: . . .

Gojirosan 25th December 2012 03:46 PM

A Christmas Story - THE best Christmas film. End of.

Silent Night Deadly Night - one of the 80's better slasher offerings and one that retains a little bite and darkness in its uncut form. Decent flick.

Justin101 25th December 2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 305740)
A Christmas Story - THE best Christmas film. End of.

I recorded this off TCM the other day and watched it last night for my Christmas Eve movie, never seen it before but I enjoyed it loads..

Susan Foreman 25th December 2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

'HUSH'

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 305733)
Is that the one with the motorway services? I thought the first half of that was pretty good! Motorway service stations are surprisingly cinematic :nod: . . .

That's the one

It was laughably bad!

antmumford 25th December 2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 305763)
That's the one

It was laughably bad!

What? :eek:

I really liked Hush. It was a realistic film I thought. The main guy reacted just like a normal person would do in a situation like that. One of the rare films where I don't shout at the screen for someone doing something so stupid

Invid Ninja 25th December 2012 07:27 PM

[QUOTE=Gojirosan;305740]A Christmas Story - THE best Christmas film. End of.

Black Christmas for me, the other side of Bob Clark. :popcorn:

http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/i...1f82b4b3/l.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone. :)

pedromonkey 25th December 2012 07:41 PM

i think the bad side of Bob Clarke belongs to Genius Babies.

keirarts 25th December 2012 08:46 PM

BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL.

Now dont judge, I bought it for my mum along with the underrated John carter on blu-ray for xmas and she wanted to watch it. I agreed (which also meant I could watch my ghost stories for xmas boxset after with only a short dr who break).

Actually a very good film indeed. Well written, intellignet and with some genuinely top-drawer actors including Judi dench, Tom wilinson, Bill nighy, imelda staunton...

Great direction and an intelligent script that deals with old age seriously anda avoids pandering. Not for the hard core horror buffs but don't worry too much if someone makes you watch it as its a perfectly respectable slice of film making...

now i'm off to watch some last of the summer wine with a nice big bag of werthers origionals..;)

nekromantik 25th December 2012 10:35 PM

Just seen Sound of my Voice, a great little indie thriller!

Its open ended so those who dont like endings which leave it up your mind then you wont like it! However I dont mind and its a quite a good film, makes you think and the performances are good too!

Story is about a couple who make a doc to uncover this cult in the city that they think is false, it is lead by a woman who says she is from the future.

Check it out if you can as its a great watch.

fuzzymctiger 26th December 2012 05:41 AM

Tetsuo Double Feature

My head hurts

keirarts 26th December 2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 305855)
Just seen Sound of my Voice, a great little indie thriller!

Its open ended so those who dont like endings which leave it up your mind then you wont like it! However I dont mind and its a quite a good film, makes you think and the performances are good too!

Story is about a couple who make a doc to uncover this cult in the city that they think is false, it is lead by a woman who says she is from the future.

Check it out if you can as its a great watch.

I liked this one too!

wonderlust 26th December 2012 08:11 AM

The Addiction, 1995.
Assault , 1971.
Christmas Vacation
The Avengers
The Amazing Spiderman
A Christmas Carol, 1938, 1951, 1984, 1999
An American Christmas Carol, 1979
Scrooge, 1970
The Cars That Ate Paris, 1974.

Delirium 26th December 2012 08:56 AM

So yesterday's viewing was:

The Graduate. Man, I love this film. It wasn't so long ago I re-watched it, but I wanted the OH to see it and I could honestly watch this film on repeat. A true Generation X film, Hoffman is brilliantly awkward as the twenty year old lost at sea in sixties suburban wealth and expectation. Anne Bancroft is divine as the bored and sultry Mrs Robinson who patiently seduces him; a smoky temptress in leopard print clothing. Katharine Ross is the sweet daughter whose heart will be broken. It's got the most terrific air of melancholy, perfectly complimented by the iconic Simon & Garfunkel soundtrack, while Nichols' and cinematographer Robert Surtees' lighting, framing and composition is divine, encapsulating Ben's suffocation with plenty of sweaty close-ups and angled shots. And it's funny, often tragicomic in moments such as Ben's inevitable showdown with the cuckolded Mr Robinson, or the ending in which Ben's shell shocked stare speaks volumes, despite winning his prize.

And last night, as is tradition, Bob Clark's masterpiece Black Christmas, another of my favourite films of all time. Billy is a terrifying screen presence; ever omnipresent and, more creepily, never explained. We follow him first person as he prowls round the house, and are only afforded snatched glimpses; but we hear him, and what worrying sounds he makes. What little Clark does show is highly unnerving - the crazed eyeball through the door crack still sends shivers down my spine and made the OH nervously shrink into the sofa. The cast are exceptional; even the supporting cast are well written and performed, in particular John Saxon's lieutenant, Keir Dullea's tempestuous boyfriend or Margot Kidder's sassy drunk. But Olivia Hussey's beautiful, cool protagonist is the stand out, a credit to her Thespian roots and my personal favourite "scream queen" - although the term seems oddly beneath her.

Nordicdusk 26th December 2012 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 94702

VicDakin 26th December 2012 07:06 PM

What films have you seen recently?

7 Attachment(s)

Attachment 94703Attachment 94709Attachment 94704

Attachment 94705Attachment 94706Attachment 94707

Attachment 94708

JoshuaKaitlyn 26th December 2012 08:01 PM

It's a Wonderful Life (1946) One of those movies that is shown almost every christmas, 'It's a Wonderful Life' started life as 'The Greatest Gift', a short story written by Philip Van Doren Stern in 1939 and published in 1945. George Bailey gives up on his lifes dreams in order to help the people of Bedford Falls fulfil theirs touching the lives of so many people along the way. But because of $8,000 of misplaced money George's life begins to crumble and just as he is about to commit suicide an angel steps in to show George what the town and the lives of its people would be like if he hadn't been born. Filmed in the middle of a sweltering July, 6,000 gallons of a new type of fake snow was used. Up until 'Its a Wonderful Life', cornflakes painted white were used to show snow. So innovative was this that the RKO Effects Department received a technical award from the Academy, but although the movie was nominated for five academy awards including 'Best Picture' 'Best Director' and 'Best Actor' it didnt win any. Great movie with a great performance from Stewart.

Nordicdusk 26th December 2012 08:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 94711

Thanks to Vics trailer reminding me i had this. :thumb:

profondo rosso 26th December 2012 08:24 PM

Films watched over xmas so far....

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

what more can you say? reminds me of saturday mornings as a kid, the saturday morning picture show!

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...hIuQQ2HWV1yv4w

Great big bug movie, I enjoyed this a lot.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ballPoster.jpg

Would love see a remake of this! Classic futursitic sport and can not understand why it did not catch on? :tongue1: I would have a season ticket!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Was never going to top the series I watched as a kid (or the book ever!) but enjoyable film that is so hard to put to film I think.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...zOF8ENhR8RZ18g

On paper it sounds ridiculous, man eating plants that shuffle at snails pace a threat to mankinkd?..... but I LOVE THIS MOVIE! scared me has a kid and now has a place in my heart. Its great my little lad loves it too!:nod:

Hawkmonger 26th December 2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 305894)
Tetsuo Double Feature

My head hurts

You watched them both IN ONE SITTING?! No man has done this and survived!

Justin101 26th December 2012 09:49 PM

Dredd!
"I am the law"

Pretty good but watching it in a 2D version is slightly annoying since some of the scenes are obviously devised to be all 'in your face' especially the over-cooked slo-mo bits. Much better than the Stallone version though hahah.
I want to get a 3D tv and watch it again how it was intended to be seen.

profondo rosso 26th December 2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 306053)
Dredd!
"I am the law"

Pretty good but watching it in a 2D version is slightly annoying since some of the scenes are obviously devised to be all 'in your face' especially the over-cooked slo-mo bits. Much better than the Stallone version though hahah.
I want to get a 3D tv and watch it again how it was intended to be seen.

Love Judge Dredd, and can not wait see this.

3D? have not been the cinema watch a 3D film yet and can't see me doing so. Dont know why but I just see it as a gimmick and going... 'ooohhh! that looked like it was coming at me!'...novelty would soon wear off and doesnt warrant the extra bucks for a 3D T.V or for cinema entrance.

Now completely immersive T.V...Thats a different matter! where did I put that blue movie?:tongue1:

Hawkmonger 26th December 2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profondo rosso (Post 306056)
Love Judge Dredd, and can not wait see this. 3D? have not been the cinema watch a 3D film yet and can't see me doing so. Dont know why but I just see it as a gimmick and going... 'ooohhh! that looked like it was coming at me!'...novelty would soon wear off and doesnt warrant the extra bucks for a 3D T.V or for cinema entrance.

Now completely immersive T.V...Thats a different matter! where did I put that blue movie?:tongue1:

You will not be disapointed. It's a true addaptation of the classic comic book character.:nod:

PaulD 26th December 2012 10:29 PM

The Dredd film was great. The 3D was unnecessary and rubbish. Yes, even the slo-mo scenes.

Hawkmonger 26th December 2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 306058)
The Dredd film was great. The 3D was unnecessary and rubbish. Yes, even the slo-mo scenes.

3D, some of the better examples of the technology. The slo-mo had a reason to the plot mind, and my, what a final kill.

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th December 2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 306021)

Attachment 94709

Bet you know this one like the back of your hand.

Justin101 26th December 2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 306059)
3D, some of the better examples of the technology. The slo-mo had a reason to the plot mind, and my, what a final kill.

I do agree that the slo-mo was an important plot device, but it was way over the top and slightly annoying, however the scene near the start when Dredd and Anderson first take the gang hideout and the gang member POV is slow and Dredd's is real time was spectacular, just all the lashing of cgi blood flashing right in front of the screen did my head in :p

Saying that though, it made me want to get some of the 2000AD anthology books and learn more which is always a good indication.

Hawkmonger 26th December 2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 306062)
I do agree that the slo-mo was an important plot device, but it was way over the top and slightly annoying, however the scene near the start when Dredd and Anderson first take the gang hideout and the gang member POV is slow and Dredd's is real time was spectacular, just all the lashing of cgi blood flashing right in front of the screen did my head in :p

Saying that though, it made me want to get some of the 2000AD anthology books and learn more which is always a good indication.

Indeed, in 2D it's a disstraction, in 3D said scene is SPECTACULARE!

And if you want to get into 2KAD, the end of year issue is on the shelve's for another week. At 100+ page's it's a titan of a comic displaying the cream of the crop of great 2000AD. The Dredd is a nice, easy one to dive into as well, not to continuity heavy.

fuzzymctiger 26th December 2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 306047)
You watched them both IN ONE SITTING?! No man has done this and survived!

I was a very long sitting. With breaks.

I started with the second one, because I hadn't seen that yet, and recovered from the dissapointment of that with the awesome first.

PaulD 26th December 2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 306064)

Y'see, I thought the 3D was a distraction.

fuzzymctiger 26th December 2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 306064)

And if you want to get into 2KAD, the end of year issue is on the shelve's for another week. At 100+ page's it's a titan of a comic displaying the cream of the crop of great 2000AD. The Dredd is a nice, easy one to dive into as well, not to continuity heavy.

Just a fun fact, I'm not sure if it was just me, but when I was watching Labryinth earlier this year on the big screen, I could have sworn, that amongst the fantasy and fairy tales on her book shelf, there was a big book with 2000AD on the spine.

keirarts 27th December 2012 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profondo rosso (Post 306037)

Would love see a remake of this! Classic futursitic sport and can not understand why it did not catch on? :tongue1: I would have a season ticket!

There IS a remake of this film and you most definately WOULD NOT want to see it... its f*****g dreadful!

VicDakin 27th December 2012 09:26 AM

Villain

Attachment 94716
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 306060)
Bet you know this one like the back of your hand.

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/atta...6&d=1356603899