Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Hawkmonger 27th December 2012 09:34 AM

Got a Cineworld unlimited card for chrimbo so will be seeing lot's this year (This year was a bit stringy, what with being a skint student...paying to see Dredd 3 time's didn't help!) so first port of call...DJANGO UNCHAINED!
I've been building up to this by re-watching my Django, A Bullet for the General, and Keoma DVD boxset from Argent. I will be upgrading my Django to BD when the Argent one come's out, and by god am I excited. It seem's it's amongst Tarantino's best.:dance:

sawyer6 27th December 2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 306086)

Vic and his invisible pictures!

VicDakin 27th December 2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 306060)
Bet you know this one like the back of your hand.

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...llain-1971.jpg

cheers sawyer :clap:

sawyer6 27th December 2012 10:43 AM

1)Cecil B. DeMille's version starring Claudette Colbert in high definition,2)very good political thriller directed by George Clooney and starring Ryan Gosling,3) a movie that stars Adam Horovitz as a troubled teenager who ends up in a private psychiatric hospital,4)very obscure movie,It was like I was watching a long commercial, a wife with mommy issues,a husband with....issues and and a not so hungry refrigerator :confused: 5)Tobe Hooper's cult classic,I like how he ''sacrifices'' half of the film ,to create atmosphere, 6)a lame coming of age-farse ,7)Anthony wong stars as a businessman turns into a serial killer that kills taxi drivers when one of them becomes responsible for the death of his pregrant wife,8)low budget black comedy about the last (not very handsome) man on Earth! who meets the last woman on Earth(Jeri Ryan),all is ok but when another younger man appears everything changes.. 9)The Return, awarded film from Russia,about two boys who receive an unexpected visit from their 12 year absent father who takes them for a 2 day trip that turns quite ugly!10)11) Werewolf cheesiness ,part 2 is still bad ! 12)from the recent film night,13)that was fine but I expected it to be a bit better,definetely not the same impact as the comic,14)15)16)three post-apocalyptic animation for Christmas,the first is from Denmark about a society of sub-humans who live in subterranean caves in search of the ''paradise'' above,the second is a surreal French film with very beautiful visuals about a nomad tribe in a vast desert and the third is a short released from MGM in 1939 about a post-apocalyptic world populated only by animals
http://i47.tinypic.com/298sqf.jpg

Slippery Jack 27th December 2012 11:39 AM

Last night me and my brother ended up watching back-to-back episodes of the Hairy Bikers Mississippi Adventure (gotta love xmas telly!). Decided to cut it off after a few episodes and introduced him to one of my favourite films, Mystery Train - inspired by the bikers cooking in Memphis. It's funny how slower paced films seem even slower when you're showing it to someone and hoping they like it :lol: Think he did like it anyway. Might screen Night on Earth tonight . . .

Gojirosan 27th December 2012 11:50 AM

Angus Thongs And Perfect Snogging - seen this several times now. It's oddly resting. Formulaic trials and tribulations of middle class teenage Brit girl. Pleasant enough with some cringe-inducing bits. Just a shame about the awful music on the soundtrack and the vile Alan Davies (though he is good in it).

How To Train Your Dragon - clichéd and mostly tiresome animated feature almost redeemed by the superb cinematography and the climactic action sequence. The character designs are very ugly and it was difficult to see past this (an issue I have with most anime too). Even though it is a kids' film it seemed overly childish!

Alice In Wonderland - magnificent tour de force from Tim Burton and the gifted pen of Linda Woolverton. Utterly wonderful and such a clever and rewarding rewrite/adaptation to a familiar tale. I adored this.

Slippery Jack 27th December 2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 306130)
Alice In Wonderland - magnificent tour de force from Tim Burton and the gifted pen of Linda Woolverton. Utterly wonderful and such a clever and rewarding rewrite/adaptation to a familiar tale. I adored this.

Wow really? It was one of the most boring times I've had in a cinema for ages. Maybe that was partly down to the naff 3D bollocks. But I hated Depp's Hatter, and it all felt Burton-by-numbers, lacking in any real surprise or invention (apart from the heads floating in the moat - that I loved!). By the time it turned into routine epic fantasy battle mode for the climax it had lost me completely . . .

Gojirosan 27th December 2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 306132)
Wow really? It was one of the most boring times I've had in a cinema for ages. Maybe that was partly down to the naff 3D bollocks. But I hated Depp's Hatter, and it all felt Burton-by-numbers, lacking in any real surprise or invention (apart from the heads floating in the moat - that I loved!). By the time it turned into routine epic fantasy battle mode for the climax it had lost me completely . . .

And that is why I never bothered to see it: all I seemed to hear was bad things! It started on the telly yesterday, I left it on...within two hours I was in love with it and had ordered the Blu-Ray.

Obviously, Svankmajer's version remains the finest film adaptation of the work, but I thought this was excellent.

Slippery Jack 27th December 2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 306134)
And that is why I never bothered to see it: all I seemed to hear was bad things!

Yeah I got dragged along to it. :mmph:

Though the same happened with the Benicio Del Toro Wolf Man film, and I really enjoyed that, a very pleasant surprise . . . !

Gojirosan 27th December 2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 306135)
Yeah I got dragged along to it. :mmph:

Though the same happened with the Benicio Del Toro Wolf Man film, and I really enjoyed that, a very pleasant surprise . . . !

I hated that! :lol:

Slippery Jack 27th December 2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 306134)
Obviously, Svankmajer's version remains the finest film adaptation of the work,

The stripped back Jonathan Miller version is my favourite. I love how the lack of any wacky costume or fanciful visual trickery somehow makes it all the more surreal and sinister . . .

Slippery Jack 27th December 2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 306136)
I hated that! :lol:

I expect everyone on here does apart from me :lol: I have no real love of the original, and found it highly watchable, really well designed and a top supporting cast (Benicio is just wrong in the lead) - I'm not gonna go buying it or anything, but I'll watch it if its on the telly . . .

Rik 27th December 2012 12:32 PM

I liked The Wolfman too, haven't bought it yet but I will if the price is cheap enough. My opinion doesn't really count because I'm a fan of the Elm St remake too :eek:

Calvin Candie 27th December 2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 306143)
I liked The Wolfman too, haven't bought it yet but I will if the price is cheap enough. My opinion doesn't really count because I'm a fan of the Elm St remake too :eek:

i don't want to see the wolfman but i liked elm st remake too.
i never understood why everybody hated it.

nekromantik 27th December 2012 01:43 PM

I disagree that 3D is a fad.
You can get a 3D tv now for £400 compare that with last boxing day £900.

Prometheus looks immense in 3D, nothing like it I have seen and reviews say Dredd is meant to be even better 3D experience as its a made for 3D movie.

People assume 3D is not all that as most movies released in 3D are not filmed in 3D so it looks crap. Even post conversion is getting better as Titanic is meant to look very good in 3D and almost like it was made for 3D.

I look forward to seeing Dredd in 3D once I get my copy once released.

keirarts 27th December 2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 306143)

Hated the elm street remake with a firey passion, oddly though I liked the wolfman remake!

SharonLynette 27th December 2012 02:40 PM

Well yesterday was supposed to be a day for picking at food and watching my new DVDs instead it was spent mainly in bed but I did manage to watch one of my DVDs which was Amsterdamned which I thought was bloody amazing, I can't get the theme tune out of my head though!

Now it's time for as many Carry On's, so far:

http://www.britposters.com/images/ca...%20320x240.jpghttps://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...TI2CHehs6FPGRA

Calvin Candie 27th December 2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 306156)
I disagree that 3D is a fad.
You can get a 3D tv now for £400 compare that with last boxing day £900.

Prometheus looks immense in 3D, nothing like it I have seen and reviews say Dredd is meant to be even better 3D experience as its a made for 3D movie.

People assume 3D is not all that as most movies released in 3D are not filmed in 3D so it looks crap. Even post conversion is getting better as Titanic is meant to look very good in 3D and almost like it was made for 3D.

I look forward to seeing Dredd in 3D once I get my copy once released.

3D is one of the worst things that's happened to film. i don't think it's a fad but i wish it was.
the only 3D movie i've tried to sit through was avengers and i walked out of the theater one hour in
the 3D sucked so bad it gave me a headache the movie was the worst movie ever made and i expected it to suck.
i will never try to watch another 3D movie again but as long as the real filmmakers have the
common scenes to not use that crap it won't bother me.

Slippery Jack 27th December 2012 02:59 PM

I'm done with 3D too (Avatar and Alice in Wonderland were more than enough). 'Oooh but it makes films so much more immersive!' Immersive my ass, all it does is provide a distraction from the actual film. Good films are immersive enough for me in 2D thanks . . .

profondo rosso 27th December 2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 306080)
There IS a remake of this film and you most definately WOULD NOT want to see it... its f*****g dreadful!

Is there? I must of missed that one! Is it reeeaaaallllyyyy dreadful...as in...dont bother at all no matter how curious you are? :fear:

SShaw 27th December 2012 03:08 PM

3D has been imposed on us by the studio's in an attempt to (i) convince us its worth going back to the cinema (ii) provide television manufacturers with a new opportunity to sell us 3D Tv's and related blu-ray/DVD boxes and (iii) make it more difficult to pirate. The former is unlikely and the latter misses the point that most pirated media is a result of an insider with access to masters. I truly hope that 3D turns out to be a fad, it is the worst thing that has happened in cinema for a long time.

profondo rosso 27th December 2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 306178)
I'm done with 3D too (Avatar and Alice in Wonderland were more than enough). 'Oooh but it makes films so much more immersive!' Immersive my ass, all it does is provide a distraction from the actual film. Good films are immersive enough for me in 2D thanks . . .

I dont think 3D is a fad either but it is a gimmick that will be around for a while at least. Ive been watching movies for over 40 years (that I have memories of!) and have not needed anything other than what floats my boat to sell a movie to me....in 2D! I can see the appeal, your mind being tricked into thinking the screen contents are tangible, but surely once that gimmicks done then what?

Ill stick my money on 2D films, that I dont have to wear glasses with! But each to their own and thats what makes the world an intersting place.:pop2:

Hawkmonger 27th December 2012 05:02 PM

Soul Taker (Via MST3K 1001)- What a truely dull movie. Thank god for Mike and the Bot's.
Please excuse my husband he has a tendency for saying things he doesn't really mean. "I like fudge." "You don't mean that!"
:pound::pound::pound:

nekromantik 27th December 2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calvin Candie (Post 306171)
3D is one of the worst things that's happened to film. i don't think it's a fad but i wish it was.
the only 3D movie i've tried to sit through was avengers and i walked out of the theater one hour in
the 3D sucked so bad it gave me a headache the movie was the worst movie ever made and i expected it to suck.
i will never try to watch another 3D movie again but as long as the real filmmakers have the
common scenes to not use that crap it won't bother me.

Avengers is post converted 3D. It was not filmed in 3D thats how 3D is getting a bad name. Lazy directors not filming it in 3D.

keirarts 27th December 2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profondo rosso (Post 306179)
Is there? I must of missed that one! Is it reeeaaaallllyyyy dreadful...as in...dont bother at all no matter how curious you are? :fear:

It is indeed, its directed by John mctiernan of all people and its total crap. Made in 2002 it stars chris Klein in james caans role and is a sloppily directed mess that should embarass the director of Die hard and Predator to his dying day. It even has a chase scene shot in night vision because someone thought it would look visually dynamic. Dreadful, Dreadful movie.:censored:

keirarts 27th December 2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 306246)
It is indeed, its directed by John mctiernan of all people and its total crap. Made in 2002 it stars chris Klein in james caans role and is a sloppily directed mess that should embarass the director of Die hard and Predator to his dying day. It even has a chase scene shot in night vision because someone thought it would look visually dynamic. Dreadful, Dreadful movie.:censored:

oh and heres the imdb link if your still curious.

Rollerball (2002) - IMDb

:doh:

Rik 27th December 2012 05:15 PM

I think I once caught half of it on TV, which was half too much from what I can remember

Nemesis 27th December 2012 05:24 PM

Cracked open my region free Panny blu player yesterday and put on the Criterion BD of Army of Shadows - one of my faves, which gets better with every rewatch. It's a film that ticks the boxes for me on every front - acting, directing, script/story, score etc. A thrilling, riveting, disturbing and sad film.

The PQ was superb and I'm working my way through the extras, which have been very good so far. The disc comes highly recommended and I'm glad it was my first Criterion BD purchase.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th December 2012 05:28 PM

The lack of a 2D release is cited as one of the reasons Dredd failed. Meaning audiences have had enough of 3D.

PaulD 27th December 2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 306244)
Avengers is post converted 3D. It was not filmed in 3D thats how 3D is getting a bad name. Lazy directors not filming it in 3D.

It's not the directors being lazy, it's the studios being greedy. Joss Whedon clearly had no intention of The Avengers being in 3D but Disney realised how much extra they could make if they converted it. See also Del Toros upcoming Pacific Rim which is being post-converted against his request. 3D gets a bad name because of the light loss, the extra premium paid for the 'pleasure', the fact that it automatically excludes those with eye problems, the fact that its a distraction and takes you out of the film as you're more conscious of sitting in front of a screen. Post-converted or filmed in 3D, it doesn't change the fact that 3D just doesn't work. It's been and gone in the past and will do so again when more and more people get fed up with it. It's a f---king stupid way of fooling your eyes into accepting perspective on a flat surface plain, something film directors have been doing better for years with depth of field.

It is a fad as it always has been. And I cannot wait for it to die off again.

Rik 27th December 2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 306262)
It's not the directors being lazy, it's the studios being greedy. See also Del Toros upcoming Pacific Rim which is being post-converted against his request. 3D gets a bad name because of the light loss, the extra premium paid for the 'pleasure', the fact that it automatically excludes those with eye problems, the fact that its a distraction and takes you out of the film as you're more conscious of sitting in front of a screen. Post-converted or filmed in 3D, it doesn't change the fact that 3D just doesn't work. It's been and gone in the past and will do so again when more and more people get fed up with it. It is a fad as it always has been.

I thought you were a fan of 3D :D

I actually don't mind it myself, but only in the cinema, I would never buy a 3D Blu Ray player and TV. When I take my kids to the cinema, if there's a 3D option, that's the one they always want so I suppose it appeals to children more than adults, in that respect I think it should really be left to Pixar/Dreamworks type films like Shrek etc.

PaulD 27th December 2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 306266)
I thought you were a fan of 3D :D

I actually don't mind it myself, but only in the cinema, I would never buy a 3D Blu Ray player and TV. When I take my kids to the cinema, if there's a 3D option, that's the one they always want so I suppose it appeals to children more than adults, in that respect I think it should really be left to Pixar/Dreamworks type films like Shrek etc.

Hahah!

Yeah I'd be interested to see a cgi animation in 3D just to compare the experience as I could imagine that being different

profondo rosso 27th December 2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 306248)

Curiosity over! cheers :lol:

Rik 27th December 2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 306268)
Hahah!

Yeah I'd be interested to see a cgi animation in 3D just to compare the experience as I could imagine that being different

Toy Story 3 didn't really work but Shrek Forever After, Up, Hotel Transylvania were really good in 3D.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th December 2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 306279)
Toy Story 3 didn't really work

3D doesn't work when your eyes are watering. :o

ThePopeofCOSDS 27th December 2012 06:24 PM

The awesomeness that is PIECES!

Handyman Joe 27th December 2012 07:06 PM

I've just spent 2 blissful days watching as much as I could of the Universal Monsters blu box set. Mind blowing is the only way to describe it. Just finished Bride - if only they could have digitally removed Una O'Connor it would've been perfect. The Spanish Dracula, which I had never seen, is fantastic - way better than the pretty boring Browning one. The Mummy was much better than I remembered - amazing what perfect picture quality can do for a film, especially when it features a guy with a face like Karloffs. I just love The Invisible Man, definitely the most underrated thing on here - Whale could sure slip in some brutality amid the comic dialogue - he was truely a genius. As for the first Frankenstein, well, just the best ever horror movie imo.

Looking back over 2012, I have to say I doubt we'll ever get a year as good as that again, I mean what's left to release? My dreams of the BFI ghost stories, Island of Lost Souls, the aforementioned monsters set, Tetsuo, Rosemary's Baby, Chinatown, Lawrence of Arabia, Passion of Joan of Arc, etc, etc - all answered.

Wait a minute though, I've just remembered Criterion's slate for March 2013....

BTW thanks to whoever got me the silent movies book for the secret santa - plenty more avenues opened up!

Susan Foreman 27th December 2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 306307)
I've just spent 2 blissful days watching as much as I could of the Universal Monsters blu box set. Mind blowing is the only way to describe it. Just finished Bride - if only they could have digitally removed Una O'Connor it would've been perfect

I gave this post a 'like', but, Mr Joe, Una O'Connor is essential to 'Bride', therefore, my 'Like' only has a small 'l' at the beginning!!!!!!!!!!

Rik 27th December 2012 07:16 PM

That Universal Monsters set is faultless IMO, each film looks and sounds amazing and the extras just add to the magic within, plus the nice set of postcards, a cracking booklet only beaten by the recent ZFE one and a nice hamster sized coffin to keep it all in, an essential purchase for anyone with a Blu Ray player :clap:

Slippery Jack 27th December 2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 306315)
That Universal Monsters set is faultless IMO, each film looks and sounds amazing and the extras just add to the magic within, plus the nice set of postcards, a cracking booklet only beaten by the recent ZFE one and a nice hamster sized coffin to keep it all in, an essential purchase for anyone with a Blu Ray player :clap:

Oh man I didn't know about the cards and booklet :shocked: Been trying really hard not to spend anything for a while after christmas. It's not working, and I might have to buy this now too :mmph: . . .