Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 24th July 2022 06:35 PM

The Abomination (1986, Max Raven)

A man is driven to a dark place when a creature latches onto him as a source of ready meals tbh.
16mm madness this time! :nod:
Makes Things look wholesome :nod:
A real doozy this time, if only the opening montage didn't give it all away, so there is that ahem. Grotty to the nth degree, this one could do with a polish cough AGFA cough ... well, they put out Ninja Zombie cough ... :lol:
Ahem. A film.

Anything For Jackson
(2020, Justin G. Dyck)

Yup. Another recommendation. This time, we enter the world of two grieving grandparents with a special wish to fulfil .... and then some. A bit more fun this time as the central performances were reasonably engaging. Certain elements may cause hilarity though, and they always seem to flounder a wee bit in the middle, these modern films :wise:
An oddity.

MrBarlow 24th July 2022 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Assignment Terror. 1970.

Aliens arrive on Earth to conquer it, bringing with them two dead scientists to re-animate various monsters, the Werewolf, Frankenstein's Monster, The Mummy and Count Dracula.

Any film written by Paul Naschy is one we love to hate but we never seem to hate them, sadly due to funds we only get to hear the mention of a Golem but we never see it, to include that in this film would have been something to see but we can only imagine it.There is a good fight at the end, all I could think of was someone shouting "Lets get Ready To Rumble" :lol: Think this will be going on the guilty pleasure list, not great but not terrible either.

Attachment 241309

Demoncrat 24th July 2022 09:33 PM

I liked it and would watch a double bill of AT and The Satan Bug methinks .... :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th July 2022 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
RED (2010)

Retired: Extremely Dangerous. I love this film, seen it countless times since it's release over a decade ago.

A superb cast - Bruce Willis, Mary-Louise Parker, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren, Karl Urban, Morgan Freeman, Brian Cox, Richard Dreyfuss, Ernest Borgnine - complement a witty script and great action set pieces.

But Goddammit! Why oh why do i always forget it's set at Christmas? There's decorations everywhere and i never, ever remember. I'd have saved this new to me Blu-ray watch until December. :xmashumbug:

nicholasrope 24th July 2022 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 673642)
Severance. 2006.

A group of sales representatives are hunted down in a remote cabin during a team building weekend.

This film combines humour and horror and done neatly and nothing seems to go over the top, yeah it does have it's gore moments and kills which can bring a laugh even when one of the group is decapitated. Each of the actors bring their character out as if they were actually office employees and how they are outside their working environment. There might be moments that can make you squeamish especially with a member of the group who doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Attachment 241251

This one is a hoot, (Even though it's not funny in real life) I thought that The Boss that was harping on about Terrorists, finally gets to use his latest weapon, misses who he was aiming for and sees whatever the weapon shot out go into the air just as there was a passing Aeroplane quite funny as he realized that he's just shot down a Plane.

nicholasrope 24th July 2022 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 673758)
Gummo. 1997.

Something of a narrative, fourth wall mocumentary movie, this is very low budget that can have a shaky camera moments so those with motion sickness be advised. The film centers around a dystopian town hit by a tornado, two young boys go cat hunting with their air rifles (cat lovers be aware) Three young girls try and fulfill their lives by coming of age. Two Jehovah Witness brothers find a different religion. Writer and director Harmony Korine practically made a film with little to no plot and why someone goes about with bunny ears is never really explained and the actors do their best with it even though it does feel like everyone was part of inbreeding.

A film along with Trash Humpers I was recommended to watch, I wanted to hate this film but at the same time I found it to be likeable.

Attachment 241297

I remember that somewhere between 93-97, EIV released some controversial Movies, this one Bad Boy Bubby and Boxing Helena.

nicholasrope 24th July 2022 10:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Fever Pitch

Colin Firth is a Arsenal mad Teacher who falls in love with no-fan Ruth Gemmell. Obviously they don't see eye to eye originally but eventually get together. All this during the Season where Arsenal won the League by beating Liverpool away on the final game. Mark Strong co-stars. I really enjoyed this, so entertaining.

The American remake which came out years later which was called The Perfect Catch was equally entertaining. It stars Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore and it follows a Baseball mad Teacher.

Hell High

A group of High School Teens cause trouble and play a prank on a Teacher (Who happens to be a Killer) Think that this Film tried to cover many clichés in it's short running time like Stalking, Assault that kind of thing and whilst it isn't the worst Film in the world, I put stock into how much I paid for a film and unfortunately as I paid full price, it didn't quite reach my expectations for it but don't get me wrong, when it goes down in a Sale, then it's worth a pick-up.

SPOILER:
I did think that there would be a twist at the end, something possibly involving her friend or The Coach.

There were some really corny lines and it contained one of my Pet Peeves when it comes to an American Film release, the title in The Credits wasn't the Title on the Cover (It wasn't Raging Fury either)

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th July 2022 10:12 PM

I agree regarding The Perfect Catch, nicholas. Really enjoyed it both times i saw it.

MrBarlow 25th July 2022 01:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Evil Dead. 1981.

5 friends travel to a cabin in the woods and unleash a demonic force.

"We're Gonna Get you" i'm gonna be thinking of that phrase all night, no matter how many times I watch this, it's still a classic, it's amazing how a low budget movie can still bring joy to us.

Attachment 241314

MrBarlow 25th July 2022 03:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Predator. 2018.

When a young boy activates a predator's mask, a predator hunter arrives and a small crew of ex soldiers and a scientist try to stop the fight and a secret government agency want the predator for experimentation.

First time I watched this and never really enjoyed it but this time round I did, It may not be the best in the franchise but it's a lot better to sit through than AVP: Requim. Some well and truly over the top CGI effects and really shouldn't laugh at Thomas Jane's character trying to hold on to his tourettes and people covering up for what he is saying. There is a few plot holes that aren't really quite explained but is this due to scene being cut for running time or bad editing??

Attachment 241315

Have a great Monday peeps

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th July 2022 03:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Demons 2 (1986)

Although generally not as good as Demons - the first half hour is simply a disparate group of people in separate apartments watching the first film on tv - it does have it's merits.

For a start Simon Boswell is a vast improvement on Claudio Simonetti when it comes to scoring films and music placement in the movie. Music is heard during parties or over the speakers in a gym rather than blaring away across action scenes, it plays out so much better.

Sergio Stivaletti's demon special effects are bang up to scratch and although the film lacks the wall to wall gore of the first film it does add almost Cronenbergian influences thanks to the apartment block setting as well as some fantastic set pieces, however it's almost ruined by some woeful acting and even worse dialogue, but all in all Demons 2 isn't too bad...although it's not too good either.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th July 2022 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Raw Force (1982)

A second watch of this crazy film in which a Burbank Kung Fu club hire a boat to a mysterious island - Warriors Island - home to a burial ground of disgraced martial arts masters.

Ignore the plot, it's easy, and just tuck into this delirious buffet of sleaze, strange monks, Kung Fu zombies, white slave traders headed by a Hitler-a-like, cannibals, ass kicking action, bloody violence and gratuitous nudity.

Cameron Mitchell plays the boat's captain and is perhaps the only sane one in the whole film. The rest of the cast are too busy fighting to notice.

A true 80's exploitation gem.

Grab a copy now whilst it's reduced in the 101 Films sale.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th July 2022 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
VICTIMS!

By feck they don't make 'em like this anymore!

The 'dress like a tart you deserve all you get' attitude,and as is rather common with exploitation of this ilk,the revenge doled out to the perpetrators is far less severe than what the victims recieve.

But then again,maybe that's why the film is titled so.....

https://cultsploitation.com/victims-...video-blu-ray/

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th July 2022 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
POSITIVE ID

A so called rape and revenge movie,this is pretty tedious stuff with one spurt of violence at the finale.Not worth the journey.

This has all the makings of a TV movie with a couple of expletives and a little violence thrown in.
Must also have the most gullible husband in all of cinema history.

MrBarlow 25th July 2022 11:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
#Alive. 2020.

When a unknown virus breaks out in Seoul, a lone man in isolation tries to survive in his flat, until he realises he in't the only one trying to survive.

This is one of these films that after 5 minutes starting all hell breaks out, government warning signals broadcasted, one man watching everyone go beserk in the street below him. Basically filmed after the Covid pandemic, this is like a movie maker's imagination on the mutation of the strain turning everyone into zombies, not the greatest zombie film but certainly entertaining.

Attachment 241332

Demoncrat 26th July 2022 06:11 PM

Blood Stalkers (1976, Robert W Morgan)

Two couples visit a familal hideaway in rural US. Sound familiar? :laugh:
From the get go, they are given short shrift everywhere they turn, but soldier on to make the best of things when they eventually find the bloody place :laugh:
The rather faded print leaves some of the night time scenes more akin to a guessing game, but I soldiered on trying to see where this grim wee flick was going. Would make a great double bill with The Money Pit ;)

trebor8273 26th July 2022 07:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR2uBTMBKVg

One of the best universal monsters movies and a superior sequel with a wonderful black comedy tone .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFtbiFgaAiM

Easily my favourite of the universal monsters movies thanks too the unhinged and wickedly dark comedy elements and let's not forget the pubs landlady.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eCSmfP4g2c

A whimsical love story set in LA about a whacky weatherman and a magical freeway signpost. Maybe not Martin's best but still enjoyable and it was around this point the quality of his films declained.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9OAjqs6dOo

A totally whacky film starring Steve Martin , Martin Short and Chevy Chase as a trio of out of work actors who mistakenly think that a telegram they receive from Mexico is a job offer little do they know that the village wants them to rid the village of a actually bandit gang that is terrorising them. Always liked this even if it's very silly the basic premise was done later in the brilliant galaxy quest.

Now watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbvnDlu_Zjc

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th July 2022 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Devil's Wedding Night (1973)

Luigi Batzella's The Devil's Wedding Night is everything you'd want from an Italian Gothic horror. All the usual traits are present - a castle, swirling curtains, dimly lit creepy corridors, beautiful women, gaudy blood splashes, masses of nudity and Occult rituals, not to mention crypts full of coffins and vampire staking's, making the film a real treat for lovers of Gothic cinema.

Certainly, one or two of the early scenes are a little slow moving but once we get past the half hour mark the viewer is hypnotically drugged and dragged into Batzella's world of hallucinogenic erotic dreams and ritualistic sacrifices.

Rosalba Neri is as always excellent, so much so that Mark Damon has to play two roles to even get close to her.

Demoncrat 27th July 2022 01:27 PM

Rewatched Commando and The Warriors.

A single father struggles to reconnect with his daughter after outside forces cause them to part.
And
A young group of men try to make it back home after a wild night out.

Ta Dah!! :rolleyes::nod::lol:

Strawberry Mansion (2021, Albert Birney/ Kentucker Audley)

When a "dream auditor" visits a sweet old lady, nothing is quite as it seems cough cough.
Half the time I was loving this, the other half checking off the "quirky" boxes that it ticks.
I decided to decide that it was charming, aside from the clunky end sequence ahem. Back to the sleaze!!! :laugh:

MrBarlow 27th July 2022 02:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Toy Soldiers 1991.

A small group of troublemaking teens at a private school make a stand when terrorists take over.

Early 90s B movie with some known actors playing the teens with Denholm Elliott and Louis Gossett Jr as the heads of the school who seem to be at a loose end with the troublemakers until they get bigger problems. First time seeing this all the way through and actually enjoyed it, atleast now I know mouth wash bottles can be used for something else.

Attachment 241363

trebor8273 27th July 2022 08:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOMyCjQzk4w

Probably Carpenters most mainstream film , the story of a alien ( Jeff Bridges) who crashes on earth and clones Karen Allen dead boyfriend and sets out to meet his mother ship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbvnDlu_Zjc

After finding out his daughter is pregnant George Banks ( Steve Martin) has a midlife crisis but when he finds out his wife is also pregnant he goes into meltdown. While not as good as the first it's a enjoyable and fun sequel in the vain of those Cary Grant type comedy's of the 50s.

Now watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdgtQoxDiy8

nicholasrope 27th July 2022 08:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Where The Crawdads Sing

A young girl who is abandoned and lives on a Marsh is accused of Murder and is put on Trail. Never read the Book but found the Film rather enjoyable however I had hoped that they focused more on the Trail but they did a good job of creating suspects and David Strathairn gives a good performance however it's still worth a watch.

I believe that the Book was aimed at Young Adults so I was a bit surprised that it was a 15 considering the violence could have been cut out and left to the imagination.

Perfect Catch

The American version of Fever Pitch which sees Boston Redsox obsessed Jimmy Fallon fall in love with Drew Barrymore. Just as good as Fever Pitch with the caveat of making changes so it's not a carbon copy.

Hands Of Steel

Set in the future of 1997, this futuristic feature sees an assassination attempt go wrong by a Cyborg who then goes on the run from Authorities and his creators. He eventually ends up at a Motel run by Janet Agren and makes another enemy in George Eastman.

I thought that this Italian Film would have had more violence and I believe that they had to shoehorn the only scene with nudity. The effects were of it's time, the script was corny and Acting, very wooden. But I rather enjoyed it.

Oh yeah, I was wondering if there was something wrong with my Blu-Ray as the Film abruptly ended lol.

Demoncrat 27th July 2022 10:22 PM

Meatballs (1979, Ivan Reitman)

Meatballs II (1981, Ken Wiederhorn)

Changing it up slightly, I revisited the first and entertained the second for the first time.
Ahem.
As part of my endless quest to watch every film from '79, I reappraised Meatballs after decades. More sporty than I remembered, and a darn sight more wholesome to boot :nod:, what with the Murray tutoring a young lad in good clean fun. There is an underdeveloped "rivalry" with a snootier camp across the lake, which seemed like an afterthought, and as I say the finale is "team based" ahem. I hated it. :laugh:
The second ... was something else. Seeming to have moved (new neighbours cough), we now have the dad from Soap! as camp director, Paul Reubens as handyman ... and a few other guests besides :lol:
Aside from the more formulaic nature, there was just something endearing about its barefacedness. Then .... well, let's just say it's not something you see every day. :nod::rolleyes::pound:

MrBarlow 27th July 2022 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Battles Without Honor And Humanity. 1973.

After WWII in Japan, a young gangster called Shozo rises up and tries to keep the power he has from other bosses who are trying to run the black market.

From the director of Battle Royale comes his early works with a mobster type film where there is crime, drama, violence, more violence and some intentional or unintentional comedy moments. Right from the start we see the highlights of where Japan surrendered and basically thrown into the movie that just gets better and better as movie goes on from people being friends to bitter enemies. This was something that I thought may never appeal to me and took a gamble which i'm glad that I did.

Attachment 241386

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th July 2022 10:28 PM

@Trebor - John Carpenter's most mainstream film...

You said Starman....

....I offer you Memoirs of an Invisible Man.

And the winner is. In 2022. Probably Halloween. :pound:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th July 2022 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 673972)
@Trebor - John Carpenter's most mainstream film...

You said Starman....

....I offer you Memoirs of an Invisible Man.

And the winner is. In 2022. Probably Halloween. :pound:

I'd say John Carpenter's most mainstream film is either Starman or Escape from New York – they were both made with relatively high profile cast and crew and were both critically and commercially successful.

I'd say Starman was aimed at a wider audience than any other film Carpenter has made. This is reflected in its relative commercial success and recognition by industry awards, with Jeff Bridges receiving Golden Globe and Oscar nominations for his performance.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th July 2022 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 673983)
I'd say John Carpenter's most mainstream film is either Starman or Escape from New York – they were both made with relatively high profile cast and crew and were both critically and commercially successful.

I'd say Starman was aimed at a wider audience than any other film Carpenter has made. This is reflected in its relative commercial success and recognition by industry awards, with Jeff Bridges receiving Golden Globe and Oscar nominations for his performance.

Surely Chevy Chase is more of a mainstream star than Jeff Bridges? Or at least back then he was.

I still think in 2022 Halloween would be classed as his most famous film and most successful therefore most mainstream. How many people round the world watch Halloween pretty much every October? You can guarantee it's shown somewhere by one of the five main UK channels every single October 31st as an example.

You can't say that for sure about any other of his films.

Justin101 28th July 2022 01:05 PM

I only watched Starman for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago. I bought the Sony Blu-ray the day it came out, I kept the receipt in the box haha, £9.99 remember those days... I really liked it.

Undoubtedly Memoirs... and I guess Village of the Damned were meant to be his 'big budget' mainstream phase being financed by the studio system but both of them ended up being a bit of a flop. Escape from LA had a $50 million budget financed by Paramount, almost as much as Memoirs and Village combined, it made more money than both films but still woefully less than the amount spent on making the film!

He's a had a bit of a rollercoaster career!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th July 2022 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 673986)
Surely Chevy Chase is more of a mainstream star than Jeff Bridges? Or at least back then he was.

I still think in 2022 Halloween would be classed as his most famous film and most successful therefore most mainstream. How many people round the world watch Halloween pretty much every October? You can guarantee it's shown somewhere by one of the five main UK channels every single October 31st as an example.

You can't say that for sure about any other of his films.

I was thinking about the time they were made and released, rather than now.

If we are looking at Carpenter's career as a historical piece of work, then I would agree the most mainstream film is probably Halloween.

It's definitely the one with the most name recognition, iconic theme, and imagery.

If 'John Carpenter films' was a category on Pointless, Halloween would be a crap guess!

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th July 2022 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 673999)
I was thinking about the time they were made and released, rather than now.

If we are looking at Carpenter's career as a historical piece of work, then I would agree the most mainstream film is probably Halloween.

It's definitely the one with the most name recognition, iconic theme, and imagery.

If 'John Carpenter films' was a category on Pointless, Halloween would be a crap guess!

Whilst Memoirs and Starman would probably be getting towards Pointless.

trebor8273 28th July 2022 07:06 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEPeYZz6F_Q

Years since I've seen this so couldn't remember anything about it. Basil Rathbone is the son of Baron Frankenstein who goes back to his ancestral home and is soon wanting too continue this fathers work. Karloff once again plays the monster and Lugosi plays Igor. Really enjoyed it one of the better "sequel " universal monsters and at just shy of 100 minutes is the longest running of the universal horror movies with most just over an hour.

Going to watch one of these tonight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGP6im8AZA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NBAH9l0dMo

MrBarlow 28th July 2022 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cut And Run. 1984.

A reporter and cameraman head to a jungle to look for their tv producer's son who went missing and they get caught up in something different that could threaten their lives.

Another Deodato film that deals with the jungle, this time in Venezuela with a tribe of Indios and a surviving member of the Jim Jones religious cult. The film does have a few familiar names in it including Richard Lynch who does loose his head over something little but not as violent as his Cannibal Holocaust. The story was originally written by Wes Craven who couldn't get funding and never got the story back, this is a mix of Action, thriller and horror, it may not be great but certainly holds your attention.

Attachment 241390

MrBarlow 28th July 2022 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dolemite. 1975

A pimp released from prison goes on a hunt for the corrupt cops and criminals who framed him.

Blackxploitation movie with a whole lot of jive talking from start to finish with fight scenes that are too hilarious to take seriously. Rudy Ray Moore plays the lead actor who seems to spend most of the time swearing in some good creative ways. If this was to be remade guaranteed they would cut one some of the racist comments that are aimed at everyone. Good action comedy.

Attachment 241391

MrBarlow 28th July 2022 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Grotesque. 1988.

A gang of punks break into a family's mountainside house while on holiday and only one member escapes.

Do I laugh at how Linda Blair can be involved in producing and starring in this chessy B movie fest or do i cry that I managed to sit through this 80s chessy B movie fest and lost 90 minutes of my life, some one flip a coin and call it for me. A movie within a movie with some not so great effects, not the best acting from everyone involved but at least we get to see The Wolfman and Frankenstein at the end.

Attachment 241392

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th July 2022 10:52 PM

I quite like Grotesque. It's crap no doubt but i do like backwoods horror of that ilk no matter how crappy. :lol:

MrBarlow 28th July 2022 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 674015)
I quite like Grotesque. It's crap no doubt but i do like backwoods horror of that ilk no matter how crappy. :lol:

I like backwoods horror movies but think Grotesque is a once seen horror for me

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th July 2022 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 674016)
I like backwoods horror movies but think Grotesque is a once seen horror for me

Just looking back i described it as Last House on the Left meets God knows what. :lol:

MrBarlow 28th July 2022 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 674017)
Just looking back i described it as Last House on the Left meets God knows what. :lol:

Yeah that's how any sane person would see it

MrBarlow 29th July 2022 01:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Maya. 1989.

A small village falls under a ancient curse while a doctor is murdered in a Mayan pyramid.

I get the feeling I have seen this during my mad cap days of 2020 being at work and watching some naff movies. A nice Italian horror that focuses more on the dark atmosphere rather than the gore, yes there is gore that is nicely done and little bit of exploitation but nothing to sleazy. This does have a bit of a slow build up but has good suspenseful moments.

Attachment 241393

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th July 2022 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 674000)
Whilst Memoirs and Starman would probably be getting towards Pointless.

Indeed. Prince of Darkness would also be likely to give you a good score :nod: