Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Wes 18th October 2012 06:42 PM

I wish I had been looking back at the audience at Se7en for that scene where one of John Doe's victims... I remember that was a huge gag !

PaulD 18th October 2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 283607)
Well I watched Parasnormal Inactivity 4 this afternoon after all. It was predictably dull and they must make a minor fortune on product placement alone!

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 4 SPOILERS

It was shocking wasn't it? The 'twist' near the end just makes you think "well who the hell was Katie's kid then?" as he conveniently disappears from the film having served his purpose of misdirection. Pointless ending too and completely devoid of story

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th October 2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 283528)
Watched James Whale's Frankenstein. Absolutely fantastic stuff. Would have loved to have been around when it first came out to see the reactions and impact it had. Stunning transfer too; amazing that a film 80 years old can look so good. Can't wait to get further into the boxset.

I only have one film unwatched in the set, having seen Phantom of the Opera last night. That's really weird addition to the set as, in the Hammer film, it looks brilliant with Oscar-winning art direction and cinematography, but the Phantom character is underused so there's too much singing and not enough horror.

Rik 18th October 2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 283648)
I only have one film unwatched in the set, having seen Phantom of the Opera last night. That's really weird addition to the set as, in the Hammer film, it looks brilliant with Oscar-winning art direction and cinematography, but the Phantom character is underused so there's too much singing and not enough horror.

That is exactly why my favourite version is the Robert Englund one, not only because it's the only one bar Lon Chaney's 1925 film to feature a masquerade ball, but because it's full of Horror and some fantastic sets, including Erik's lair with the many candles which must've been a nightmare for the set dresser!

keirarts 18th October 2012 08:42 PM

BRAKE: Stephen Dorff in BURIED rip off released on the high fliers label!!! The epitome of the straight to dvd thriller that appears from nowhere onto rental shelves and supermarket charts! Not bad as it goes, its basically the same formula as buried but he's in the boot of the car and there's a terrorist plot ripped off straight from a tom clancy book. Dodgy ending aside its 90 minutes of daft fun that's worth checking out!

CHERNOBYL DIARIES: Ususal americans venture out of their own country and get horribly murdered horror plot mixed with traditional xenophobia about the russians. That said its actually quite fun in a seen-it-all-before kind of way and it looks supurb on Blu-ray.

keirarts 18th October 2012 11:09 PM

Just finished up the evening with LOVELY MOLLY, from Blair witch co-director/creator Eduardo sanchez.

Fantastic and chilling, never states explicitly whether what's happening to Molly is real or not so the film could either be a repulsion style descent into madness or a depiction of a woman gradually becoming posessed by the evil forces at work in the house.

Great stuff either way!

gag 18th October 2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 283607)
Well I watched Parasnormal Inactivity 4 this afternoon after all. It was predictably dull and they must make a minor fortune on product placement alone!

My son wants me to take him to see it. I have no interest, 2nd and 3rd bored me so much i wasnt even taking any interest in the story just watching what happens as it happpend or lack of what happens, definatly a sleep inducing film for insomniacs as a night cap to help them nod of.

Beyond72 19th October 2012 10:57 AM

Dawn of the Mummy - And people think "Zombie" has pacing problems!? :tongue1:
Frightmare (74) - All about Sheila Keith's performance.

Delirium 19th October 2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 283608)
Didn't take Paul's advice then!
2 bad reviews from the only place that really counts means I'll do as I did for part 3 (which I enjoyed more than 2 BTW) and rent it instead, so thanks Paul and Delirium for saving me some brass :)

Yeah, curiosity and an afternoon to kill.. after all, I too liked part 3. Thing is, it's just the same film over and over, but the scares are getting cheaper by the minute. I think one of the reasons I enjoyed part 3 so much was I quite liked the family, so spending time with them wasn't bad. The yuppie family in this were much the same as part 2, and events are just as dull. And as Paul said, they're stretching to the point of using gimmicks such as XBOX Kinect in order to strive for originality - I found it quite cringe-worthy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 283642)
PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 4 SPOILERS

Yep, utterly pointless with huge lapses in logic or continuity. It's just the same set-piece rolling over and over again throughout each film, story be damned.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th October 2012 01:36 PM

Yet more 'seasonal' viewing:

http://bullitt.cf2.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://bullitt.cf2.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://moon.cf2.letterboxd.com/asset...0-222-crop.jpg http://up.cf2.letterboxd.com/assets/...0-222-crop.jpg http://bullitt.cf2.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://up.cf2.letterboxd.com/assets/...0-222-crop.jpg http://brick.cf2.letterboxd.com/asse...0-222-crop.jpg http://brick.cf2.letterboxd.com/asse...0-222-crop.jpg http://bullitt.cf2.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://moon.cf2.letterboxd.com/asset...0-222-crop.jpg http://up.cf2.letterboxd.com/assets/...0-222-crop.jpg http://moon.cf2.letterboxd.com/asset...0-222-crop.jpg

James Morton 19th October 2012 01:54 PM

saw the hilarious NAKED GUN style comedy 2 part episodes A TOUCH OF CLOTH:laugh:
i'm glad they are making more:happy:

mercury 19th October 2012 03:48 PM

Went to see Sinister. Film started earlier than stated so missed the first 15 minutes, then spent 5 minutes trying to find the 2 empty seats as it was a sell out. Couldn't find seats so swapped tickets at customer service and ended up seeing Paranormal Activity 4. It was pants and the worst in the series so far. I wouldn't watch this on tv so I am gutted I paid to see it. The best part was at the end where someone in the audience got a fright and farted really loud(it may have been more than a fart):)

James Morton 19th October 2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 283631)
The whole screaming thing makes the film look like a rollercoaster!

I prefer films like sinister that make the audience shut the hell up in fear/anticipation.

those adverts are ott and so crappy w/scared like shit audiences:laugh:

oaxaca 19th October 2012 04:33 PM

THE BLOODSTAINED SHADOW (1978)
CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957)
THE PYX (1973)
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1989)

PaulD 19th October 2012 04:59 PM

Hitch Hike - superb slice of Italian exploitation.

keirarts 19th October 2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 283977)
Hitch Hike - superb slice of Italian exploitation.

David hess's best film imo.

PaulD 19th October 2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 283983)
David hess's best film imo.

I could be inclined to agree with you there.

Rik 19th October 2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 283967)
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1989)

What's the PQ like on this?

SShaw 19th October 2012 09:20 PM

Premium Rush (Cinema) - a thriller about a bicycle courier who picks up a package that has attracted the attention of the New York triad and a corrupt police detective. Pretty bland film with some quite nice bicycle chases through the traffic of New York city. Probably best suited to Saturday tea time television and only worth catching f its the only thing playing (as in my case) or you have an unhealthy interest in bikes.

PaulD 19th October 2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 284104)
Premium Rush (Cinema) - a thriller about a bicycle courier who picks up a package that has attracted the attention of the New York triad and a corrupt police detective. Pretty bland film with some quite nice bicycle chases through the traffic of New York city. Probably best suited to Saturday tea time television and only worth catching f its the only thing playing (as in my case) or you have an unhealthy interest in bikes.

Aww, I've been quite looking forward to this. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is always watchable in my opinion and I have a soft spot for thrillers with slightly gimmicky premises.

oaxaca 19th October 2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 284005)
What's the PQ like on this?

Really solid, I was impressed. But I have nothing to compare it to as I had never seen it before :)

Rik 19th October 2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 284108)
Really solid, I was impressed. But I have nothing to compare it to as I had never seen it before :)

That'll do for me, the R1 MGM disc looks great as can be seen in my stills here but I'd prefer to see it in HD

Prince_Vajda 19th October 2012 09:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This evening, I used my new Blu-ray player in my student housing for the first time.

New York Ripper. Grim, dark, depressing, and violent as usual. It most certainly is not easy to watch, but it's extremely well-made, and the story is both shocking and clever.

I judge this film on the impact that it still has on me, and therefore I rate it four stars out of four - this movie goes directly for one's throat, especially as the violence is among the heaviest I've ever seen. An excellent Giallo.

**** out of ****

Greetings!

Make Them Die Slowly 19th October 2012 10:07 PM

DETENTION Highly enjoyable post everything riff on slasher films, teen films and teenagers. I had no real idea what the hell was going on for most of the time throughout the film if I'm honest, its so mad and maddening. The plot is bonkers as are individual scenes as 20 years of pop culture and especially post SCREAM horror films, sequels and rip offs are all filtered through an off kilter humour and love of genre. Highly recommended.

Rik 19th October 2012 10:09 PM

Never heard of this, sounds like I'd enjoy it

Make Them Die Slowly 19th October 2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 284139)
Never heard of this, sounds like I'd enjoy it

Try and find Frankie Teardrop's review of it on this thread, he discusses it with much more clarity than myself though he forgets to mention it has one of the best sex with a bear scenes ever filmed.

Rik 19th October 2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 284141)
Try and find Frankie Teardrop's review of it on this thread, he discusses it with much more clarity than myself though he forgets to mention it has one of the best sex with a bear scenes ever filmed.

:eek:

Make Them Die Slowly 19th October 2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 284143)
:eek:

Prude!

Rik 19th October 2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 284144)
Prude!

Me? God no! It's just not every day someone mentions a "sex with a bear scene" let alone the best one! :lol:

JoshuaKaitlyn 20th October 2012 12:21 AM

'The Odyssey' (1997) 6/10 Could have been a lot lot better!

'Immortals' (2011) 8/10 I don't know? Although I liked the style, soundtrack and the final showdown, Henry Cavill just does not seemed to fit the role!

'The House by the Cemetery' (1981) 7/10 First time I've seen it! Annoying kid aside that bat attack was had me laughing then there was the gore :)

'The Creature From the Black Lagoon' (1954) 7/10 From the old Legacy set from a few years back, although it isn't in 3D as it was filmed, I used my TV's upgrade feature and it surprisingly worked for the most part!

keirarts 20th October 2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 284147)
Me? God no! It's just not every day someone mentions a "sex with a bear scene" let alone the best one! :lol:

Super troopers had a good one too, unfortunately the bear turned out to be fake.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th October 2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 284147)

I didn't realise there was so much competition in that category. You really do learn something every day!

Beyond72 20th October 2012 09:15 AM

Stepfather/Fright Night

(Originals of course!) :tongue1:

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th October 2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyond72 (Post 284223)
Stepfather/Fright Night

(Originals of course!) :tongue1:

Why? The remakes are so much better!

Beyond72 20th October 2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 284224)
Why? The remakes are so much better!

Maybe in 20 years or so when nostalgia sets in. :tongue1:

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th October 2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyond72 (Post 284225)
Maybe in 20 years or so when nostalgia sets in. :tongue1:

Haha, probably not even in 50!

fuzzymctiger 20th October 2012 11:04 AM

Cannibal Holocaust - Let's just say I was no where near as shocked as I expected to be. Very well done, and really makes you ask yourself some questions. Although I think the last line should have been, "I wonder who the real savages are?" instead of cannibals. Fast forwded through the turtle, muskrat and monkey bits though.

PaulD 20th October 2012 06:44 PM

Alone With Her - Excellent direction, beautiful framing and composition, breath-taking cinematography; all cinematic tools you can willfully disregard when doing a 'found footage' film. Alone With Her is about a man's unhealthy obsession with a woman which results in him setting up spy cameras in her apartment and using the information he finds to manipulate her into a relationship with him. And yes, it's all shown through the secret cameras. Terminally boring with characters you just don't care about it outstays its welcome after the first five minutes. If I never see a found footage film again it'll be too soon.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th October 2012 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Death Tube (2010)

For half an hour this was my new favoutite film. Well acted, full of suspense and intrigue, and i was interested, nay impatient to see how it would play out.

Then all of a sudden we get some protagonists dressed as teddy bears, the plot goes up its own backside, the characterization seems to be lost and i was willing the thing to end. I don't recall my enjoyment of a film changing so quickly ever before. From loving it to pulling my hair out.

Prince_Vajda 20th October 2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 284256)
Fast forwded through the turtle, muskrat and monkey bits though.

Chickenshit!

...only kidding, your choice. :)

Sent from my I9100 Galaxy S II via Tapatalk 2