Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Rik 15th October 2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 282498)
Deathdream's good, but rather depressing.
Skip to the last 20 or 30 minutes with CSPWDT, and then things get better.

I may try again with it sometime

Hawkmonger 15th October 2012 10:34 PM

You guy's aren't alone. CSPwDT is abysmal.

Rik 15th October 2012 10:35 PM

Making up for it now by watching From Dusk Til Dawn on E4, may even order the Titty Twister edition too while I'm at it

Make Them Die Slowly 15th October 2012 10:39 PM

I have vague memories of enjoying "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things" but having not seen it since the early 80s my memory may in fact be from the countless reviews I've read of it rather than reality.

Rik 15th October 2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 282504)
I have vague memories of enjoying "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things" but having not seen it since the early 80s my memory may in fact be from the countless reviews I've read of it rather than reality.

Funny you should say that, I thought I'd seen it before until I put it on earlier and realised I hadn't

Frankie Teardrop 15th October 2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 282492)
Not just me then, I was expecting some backlash because of my comment. I've seen and own some truly dreadful films, but I've never not made it to the end before

Not spearheading 'The Backlash', but I did quite like the rise of the zombies which I seem recall is soundtracked by weird 'Clangers' type electronics. Not much justification for the boring lead up, although I remember for some reason enjoying the fact that all the characters seemed like total dicks.
'Deathdream' is immense IMO - would make a great depressing zombie trio with 'I, Zombie' and, erm, 'Zombie Driller Killer'.

Make Them Die Slowly 15th October 2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 282505)
Funny you should say that, I thought I'd seen it before until I put it on earlier and realised I hadn't

I imagine that happens to most people at some point in their viewing life. It's happened to me a few times.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th October 2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 282508)
I remember for some reason enjoying the fact that all the characters seemed like total dicks.

That destroys any film for me. You have to sympathise for at least one character in a film.

Make Them Die Slowly 15th October 2012 10:50 PM

I've just watched the trailer for CSPWDT. It looks great! I wasn't going to buy it but now I'm not so sure.

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things (1972) - YouTube

Rik 15th October 2012 10:53 PM

Must've been my great review ha ha
It was nice and cheap
Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things and Dead of Night DVD | Zavvi.com

Make Them Die Slowly 15th October 2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 282510)
That destroys any film for me. You have to sympathise for at least one character in a film.

I disagree, I wanted to kill all the characters in THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT but love the film.

Frankie Teardrop 15th October 2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

I totally understand where you're coming from, but when I watch specifically horror movies I'm sort of the opposite... I guess for some reason I just get into the sense of a hate filled, brutal reality populated by bastards or idiots. Maybe that's my defense against having to empathise and 'feel' the horror all the more, and certainly with brilliant and disturbing films like maybe 'Snowtown' the sense of it taking place in an all too human reality is almost unbearable. But mostly I watch this kind of film for the textures, the atmosphere and the weirdness.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th October 2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 282518)
I disagree, I wanted to kill all the characters in THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT but love the film.

Even though the characters in BWP were obnoxious, they were still vaguely realistic people, the same can't be said for CSPWDT, as the characters are all dreadfully realised as well as obnoxious.

Make Them Die Slowly 15th October 2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 282522)
Even though the characters in BWP were obnoxious, they were still vaguely realistic people, the same can't be said for CSPWDT, as the characters are all dreadfully realised as well as obnoxious.

I'm not too bothered if people are realistic or not in a horror/exploitation film. The very nature of these films puts them into the realms of fantasy for me so they act as they do because that's what they do in their cinematic world.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th October 2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 282526)
I'm not too bothered if people are realistic or not in a horror/exploitation film. The very nature of these films puts them into the realms of fantasy for me so they act as they do because that's what they do in their cinematic world.

Thats also very true.

Maybe with CSPWDT the problem is that nothing happens for the first hour, you just witness morons arsing about, which together makes poor characters and bugger all storyline = wanting to throw things at the tv.

fuzzymctiger 16th October 2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

I sympathize for the dead guy

sawyer6 16th October 2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 282518)

That means you sympathised for the witch !

Wes 16th October 2012 06:44 AM

Jesus wept ! Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things is one of the best Horrors of the 70's. I love that movie !

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 16th October 2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 282562)
Jesus wept ! Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things is one of the best Horrors of the 70's. I love that movie !

Yeah, me too.

keirarts 16th October 2012 07:34 AM

Watched a film called THE LOST EPSIODE. Could be that I was tired and simply not getting in to it but I found it quite rubbish. Shocked to realise it was directed by MICHAEL (HENRY PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER) ROOKER!!!

Will have to watch it again another time when i'm not dirfting off to sleep.

Frankie Teardrop 16th October 2012 01:24 PM

THE FIEND - I really enjoyed this obscure Brit horror from the early 70s. It reminded me a little of the films of Pete Walker, although it just about predates his horror phase. It's got the same dour, contemporary vibe as the Walker stuff but is much more eccentric, seemingly at points threatening to turn into a Gospel themed musical (these outbreaks soundtrack a couple of Giallo style killings!). Follows the murderous exploits of a N Bates style swimming instructor who lives with evangelical church involved mother with obligatory Oedipal sickliness going on. Could almost have been called "Confessions of a Religious Pervert". Repressed and groovy in equal measure.

MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN - Didn't do all that much for me as a Clive Barker adaption, but I quite liked it as a latter day mainstream B-movie time killer. With Vinnie Jones as a silent subway butcher and a reasonable amount of splatter. Felt the 'Ancient City Fathers' bit was underplayed.

WHERE THE DOGS DIVIDE HER - Was expecting an underground American experimental horror movie, whereas this actually turned out to be an underground Lancastrian experimental horror movie! One of the characters even writes 'Todmorden' in a sinister fashion at one point! Anyway, it's hard to describe, reminded me a little of 'Ice From the Sun' by way of crude comparison in that it's non-linear, image driven, frequently fascinating but sometimes drags. And is very cheap. But interesting and worth a look for those not turned off by constant doll references and budget video effects.

THE STINK OF FLESH - Original zombie action from 2004. Features a strange menage type situation set in zombie wilderness. With living dead sex slaves and a woman whose sister is a deformed stomach dwelling face. I found some of the humour a little grating, but certainly plenty of kudos for whacky novelty.

HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP - Always a pleasure to revisit. I'm sure everyone knows this one, but if not, recommended for fans of mutant salmon sex offenders.

RE-CYCLE - Author gets haunted and ends up in an alternative dimension populated by the specters of 'the abandoned'. She's forced to come to terms with an issue from her past.Takes a while to warm up, but hits home when the weirdness kicks in. Maybe I was hoping for it to be a bit more 'full on' in some mysterious way, but it's certainly worth a shot.

Demoncrat 16th October 2012 02:40 PM

Even as big a fan of Shock as me admits it pails in front of his other efforts cough cough;)....AAAnyway

The Interceptor. Exploitation. It's a funny word, really. Wading through umpteen variations on a theme is mere horseplay for a man who's read Joseph Campbell cough cough. This is no different than many M Dudikoff films, and then again it is entirely it's own beast, whether it's down to the locales used, or is it the frankly loopy plot OR the sodding blue filter which makes it look like Cold Case in places. But it had enough for me to lift it out of the slurry pile.
Ahem. Here's the trailer
The Interceptor Trailer - YouTube

Hawkmonger 16th October 2012 02:59 PM

Yeah. I watched it. Golden karate Girl. Billed as having the worst (but most enjoyable) death scene of all time., this early Turkish revenge film is more than just a silly ending. It's a very silly movie over all. I loved it. Not often does an early 70's rape, revenge flick go viral.

Rik 16th October 2012 04:31 PM

Just finished watching Dead Scared, as recommended by Demdike and purchased for a mere £1.50 from Amazon. Great fun, stupid film with some fine looking scream queens, loved it and recommend you click on this link

g053584398 16th October 2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 282460)

"One ha-ha! Two ha-ah! Three ha-ha!"

Rik 16th October 2012 06:28 PM

My 4 year old son was gutted when he died the other week, he loved him on his Elmo DVD's

g053584398 16th October 2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 282927)
My 4 year old son was gutted when he died the other week, he loved him on his Elmo DVD's

The bloke who voiced the character died recently? I didn't know that.

I always loved the counting Count and the Cookie Monster!

Rik 16th October 2012 07:03 PM

Yeah, about a month ago I think

re.form 16th October 2012 09:17 PM

Count me in the club regarding CSPWDT. The last few minutes are fun. The rest of the movie is an absolute waste of time and it might be one of the most annoying films ever created. I love Bob Clarke's other horror stuff though. Huge lover of dead of night and black christmas.

Recently watched

Django Kill! Hadn't seen this one before. God knows where it's reputation for being surreal comes from. It was okay, but I won't be rewatching it again in a hurry.

The Crow hadn't seen this since it came out. Great looking Blu-ray and the film holds up really well. I swear there's certain shots that are exactly replicated in the Dark Knight. Awesome film.

Rik 16th October 2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re.form (Post 282987)

The Crow hadn't seen this since it came out. Great looking Blu-ray and the film holds up really well. I swear there's certain shots that are exactly replicated in the Dark Knight. Awesome film.

Completely agree with you there, I recently watched it for the first time in years and thought the exact same thing, I wonder if Nolan was influenced by it when he made TDK

PaulD 17th October 2012 05:51 AM

What sort of shots?

Susan Foreman 17th October 2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 282941)
I always loved...the Cookie Monster!

Cookie monster call me maybe - YouTube

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th October 2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 283056)

A couple of weeks ago, there was one of the daily practice reports from New England and the journalist mentioned Vince Wilfork, the Patriots' all-pro defensive tackle had been seen walking across the locker room wearing a black T-shirt with the Cookie Monster on the front.

As the guy weighs somewhere between 310-330lbs, I had to laugh!

PaulD 17th October 2012 10:08 AM

Surf Nazis Must Die - as much as I love Troma this film just leaves me cold. It's only 83 minutes but it really drags and seems fleshed out with stock footage of surfers and long establishing beach shots. Not hard to see why Roger Ebert walked out on it after half an hour. Not Troma's finest by a long shot.

Stagefright - solid Soavi slasher. There's shades of Argento in this which makes sense and some great and grisly kills.

Frankie Teardrop 17th October 2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 283088)
Surf Nazis Must Die - as much as I love Troma this film just leaves me cold. It's only 83 minutes but it really drags and seems fleshed out with stock footage of surfers and long establishing beach shots. Not hard to see why Roger Ebert walked out on it after half an hour. Not Troma's finest by a long shot.

Stagefright - solid Soavi slasher. There's shades of Argento in this which makes sense and some great and grisly kills.

Weirdly enough, I too have just finished STAGEFRIGHT. It's one of those movies I quite like to revisit, because for some reason I notice new aspects of it each time. I like how the theatrical setting lends a slight surrealistic artifice on some levels, and there are lots of elements which seem excessive or baroque, like the big owl head mask. For me, it's up there with 'Dellamorte...' - wish he'd carried on making movies after that one.

PaulD 17th October 2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 283133)
Weirdly enough, I too have just finished STAGEFRIGHT. It's one of those movies I quite like to revisit, because for some reason I notice new aspects of it each time. I like how the theatrical setting lends a slight surrealistic artifice on some levels, and there are lots of elements which seem excessive or baroque, like the big owl head mask. For me, it's up there with 'Dellamorte...' - wish he'd carried on making movies after that one.

It's the theatricality of the scene with all the feathers floating around onstage near the end that I love so much.

PaulD 17th October 2012 02:18 PM

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 - aka The Texas Chainsaw Metaphor 2. Yes Tobe, we get it; chainsaws = dicks and horror villains kill out of sexual frustration. It takes the grimy menace of the original and subverts it into a confused over-the-top self-parody. It's not a bad film as such, just so different in style and tone to its predecessor to make it a poor sequel. It does feature Dennis Hopper in a dual-wielding chainsaw scene which has to be worth something.

keirarts 17th October 2012 02:19 PM

It's weird, STAGEFRIGHT is one of the rare decent VIPCO discs, good PQ and in the correct ratio. Probably how they bought it but still....

James Morton 17th October 2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 283150)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 - aka The Texas Chainsaw Metaphor 2. Yes Tobe, we get it; chainsaws = dicks and horror villains kill out of sexual frustration. It takes the grimy menace of the original and subverts it into a confused over-the-top self-parody. It's not a bad film as such, just so different in style and tone to its predecessor to make it a poor sequel. It does feature Dennis Hopper in a dual-wielding chainsaw scene which has to be worth something.

i think TTCM2 is a better film than the original

Rik 17th October 2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 283150)

I always think of it in the same context as Evil Dead 2, played more for laughs than scares, who doesn't love Chop Tops amazing dialogue!
"Lick my plate you dog dick!" brilliant!