Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

DeadAlive 17th May 2010 12:27 PM

Departures

I really bought into this Japanese award winner about a Cellist who is forced by necessity to take a job preparing bodies for cremation after the orchestra he plays in disolves and he finds himself unemployed and untrained for any kind of work. Comedy, drama and strong emotions blend well making this film, that is essentially a story about coming to terms with death and grief, quite a life affirming, charming and effortlessly entertaining experience.

Frankenstein And The Monster From Hell

This was the last film in the Frankenstein series made by Hammer and it is probably the weakest of the bunch. Peter Cushing makes it worthwhile as always but this one is a bit more talky than the rest. Also the UK DVD release seems to have the creature's death scene somewhat edited. (Can anyone confirm this?) I seem to remember it being far more gory than you get here..... Or is my old brain playing tricks on me?

Doghouse

I tried to like this. I really did. Some of the humour works quite well and even the gore at times is pretty impressive but on the whole this really didn't do it for me. An OK timefiller at best that I will be very unlikely to revisit.

vincenzo 17th May 2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 79817)

Also the UK DVD release seems to have the creature's death scene somewhat edited. (Can anyone confirm this?) I seem to remember it being far more gory than you get here..... Or is my old brain playing tricks on me?

There have been 3 UK home releases of this. All of them different.

1. The Warner VHS which featured the cut cinema print (minus the shot of John Stratton's slashed throat and some of the monster's demise).
2. The first DD DVD release which featured the US R-rated print (minus the 'artery clamping', the eyeball reinsertion, the blood spurt from the slashed throat, and some of the monster's demise).
3. The second 'corrected' DD DVD release which included the artery clamp but missed the eyeball shot, the bloody throat, and some of the monster's demise.

The German Anolis DVD is the longest print and restores all of the above, bar for a brief shot (barely 1 sec) from the throat slash.

pedromonkey 17th May 2010 02:27 PM

watched Misery yesterday, Kathy Bates gives a masterclass in psyco acting. Tense, creepy and the Hobbling scene...ouch. very cool film and one of the best Stephen King adapts...

vincenzo 17th May 2010 04:01 PM

Zeta One

Robin Hawdon plays strip poker for about 20 mins, Charles Hawtrey overacts badly, Valerie Leon wears breast armour, Yutte Stensgaard reveals both of her acting abilities, and James Robertson Justice tortures poor Carol Hawkins and most of the audience.

Remarkably unwatchable tripe. Not even entertaining as camp value. The BBFC heavily cut this for cinema but unfortunately the footage was put back which makes it even longer.

antmumford 17th May 2010 04:42 PM

Watched The Road again last night. What a wonderfully powerful film. Acting doesn't get much better than in this.

Then watched Grave of the Firelies, a Studhio ghibli film. Really liked it, quite heartwarming but then very tragic too. I'm determined to get the whole collection eventually. This is my first to start it off.

Also watched Hancock at the weekend. Enjoyable enough film. Will Smith is as cool as ever. Had some funny ish moments. Yeah I can't say it was all that bad to be honest.

42ndStreetFreak 17th May 2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 79817)

This was the last film in the Frankenstein series made by Hammer and it is probably the weakest of the bunch.

Probably the best of the bunch. In fact in the Top 3 Hammer films ever made.
:nod:

Philleh 17th May 2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 79644)
Watched never sleep again over last 2 days!!
It is THE best horror documentary ever made end of!!
So much info on each of the nightmare films and had some cool funny moments too.
You can really tell how much effort these guys put into this doc and the effort the makers of each movie. Have to give 1428 films kudos for this as its amazing what small indie company has done and it will be very hard to beat. 10/10

Next doc im waiting for is the Hellraiser one which should be good as Clive has created a cenobite for the doc but its confirmed to be 90mins with "hours of bonus features" so wont be as in depth as Never Sleep Again.

Watched this over the weekend too - fantastic stuff indeed. Really wish there was a book though, like there was with Crystal Lake Memories - would love a big ol' Freddy book to go side-by-side with Jason! :thumb:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 17th May 2010 06:51 PM

Well there is this book, Philleh - The Nightmare Never Ends - but for £75 + I doubt I'll be getting that anytime soon :laugh:

The Crystal Lake Memories is a whooper of a book! It oozes awesomeness!

Philleh 17th May 2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 79856)
Well there is this book, Philleh - The Nightmare Never Ends - but for £75 + I doubt I'll be getting that anytime soon :laugh:

The Crystal Lake Memories is a whooper of a book! It oozes awesomeness!

Bah, that one doesn't cover New Nightmare! Definately not worth that big money! :mmph:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 17th May 2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philleh (Post 79857)
Bah, that one doesn't cover New Nightmare! Definately not worth that big money! :mmph:

It's not even a hardback! :doh: If there was a NOES book like that, I'd snap it up faster than you can say, 'One, Two, Freddy's coming for you!"