Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

mazon2709 2nd March 2010 12:11 PM

Apocalypse of the Dead. Terrible movie, even the great Ken Foree cannot save this turd. Loads of gore, wasted on possibly one the top ten worst movies of all time in my opinion. Avoid Avoid Avoid.......All prints/dvds of this movie should be :chainsaw: and then burnt.

Yes I hated it.....

DeadAlive 2nd March 2010 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thirst - Bloody brilliant. This just became my fav Park Chan-Wook film.

antmumford 2nd March 2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 65264)
Thirst - Bloody brilliant. This just became my fav Park Chan-Wook film.

Couldn't agree more, was pure genius. Loved every minute of this film :nod:

Philleh 2nd March 2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 65265)
Couldn't agree more, was pure genius. Loved every minute of this film :nod:

Big fan of Thirst, still doesn't top Mr. Vengeance as my favourite Park film though! Nothign will top that film, ever! :pop2:

I felt Thirst was too fragmented and doesn't have the appeal of re-watching as Mr. Vengeance or Old Boy does.

Though saying that, I have seen it 5 times already! Ha

DeadAlive 2nd March 2010 12:32 PM

I like all of Park Chan-Wooks films. Even the heavily criticised I'm A Cyborg...... but I have to confess that of all his films Mr. Vengeance is the one long overdue for a rewatch by me. :blush:

Philleh 2nd March 2010 12:38 PM

Lol, you need to scoop that bad boy out matey! Such an immense film.

Though saying that, I also adore JSA; more so than Old Boy!

vincenzo 2nd March 2010 12:40 PM

10 Rillington Place

(music by Johnny Dankworth RIP)

Donald Pleasence may have been a more apt first choice but Richard Attenborough makes this his own without doubt. Easily among his finest screen performances (together with Brighton Rock and The Great Escape). His whispering, malignant, creepy and genuinely twisted Christie is amazing and, for a film that contains no blood, no swearing (other than 'bloody'), no nudity (a brief glimpse of a dead woman's bare back) and non-explicit below-camera murders, few films have this much power. The shots of Attenborough repeatedly punching Judy Geeson before strangling/raping her, his stunned look at his own mirror reflection, and the scene where he heads upstairs towards the baby (tie in hand) are among the most powerful in British horror history. Kudos also to Judy, John Hurt (a typically remarkable performance as the unsympathetic Evans) and Pat Heywood as Christie's wife ("I know where you ought to be") are equally superb. Sharp eyed viewers will spot Love Thy Neighbour/Eastenders star Rudolph Walker as the black tenant who discovers the bodies.

Two more things make this film stand out. The execution of Evans was shot with Pierrepoint as an advisor and is still among the most realistic hanging scenes ever filmed (along with Let Him Have It). Also of course we have the location filming. The film was shot in Rillington Place with the house itself seen throughout and, even though the interiors used were number 6, the outdoor footage of the street is genuinely bone-chilling. I've been to the location and thankfully the house/street no longer exist.

A brilliant movie that stands up among the finest serial killer films of all time.

antmumford 2nd March 2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broonage (Post 65232)
La Horde - a bloody, violent French zombie flick. Great fight scenes!

How did you see this? At a film festival? It seems to be the only way at the moment. Cannot wait to see this, sounds awesome!

Philleh 2nd March 2010 12:50 PM

The Broons is based in Paris mate, so he probably hadt he big screen experience! :thumb:

Gojirosan 2nd March 2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 65272)
10 Rillington Place

A brilliant movie that stands up among the finest serial killer films of all time.

Definitely - I whole-heartedly agree. A phenomenal film. One which I watch quite often, if only to bask in the performances. Pure brilliance.