Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Dave Boy 15th December 2019 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 221407
BLACK CHRISTMAS (1974)

Awesome movie.
I remember first watching the movie on the television years back and all the explicit dialogue on the phone was cut out. When I finally saw the proper cut it was a surprise that's for sure!

MrBarlow 15th December 2019 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tower Of London. 1962.

With the death of his brother King Edward IV, Richard of Gloucester conspires to get to the throne for himself and begins to be haunted by those he has betrayed.

Vincent Price and Roger Corman team up again on this take of Richard III, and how he intends to be the next King of England. It has a mixture of Ghosts and the occult blended with a dark atmosphere and great acting from Vincent Price as the villain. The plot may not be the greatest and may drag on but certainly worth a viewing.

trebor8273 15th December 2019 09:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCptc2p2BJM

Some looney is killing people dressed as Santa , some good kills and unintentional laughs with lots a familiar British faces. By some of the same people behind peices with quite a few similarities to it. 5/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKeW-MGu-qQ

The first and still the best. It Christmas time and police detective Roger Murtaugh is teamed up with lose cannon Martin Riggs who could be crazy and unhinged, after investigating the death of a prostitute they get involved in a drug conspiracy involving ex CIA and special forces members. One of the best buddy cop movies. 9/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th December 2019 10:17 PM

Decemberdike # 12

1 Attachment(s)
The Blob (1958)

Steve McQueen's first starring role and it's pretty damn forgettable. Co-star Aneta Corseaut continuously looks like she's in the wrong film and seems more likely to burst into a song and dance routine as battle an alien menace.

Director Irvin Yeaworth fails to generate any suspense whatsoever and the bulk of the movie is a talky borefest.

However it's not all bad. The small town the film is set looks great and the director captures it well with some excellent photography. The Blob itself is also a classic sci-fi creation. Yes i suppose it does look like an oozing mass of strawberry gelatin but it works very well. The Blob attacking the town cinema is an excellent effect as it oozes from the back projectors onto the audience below. In fact the final fifteen minutes are an exercise in sci-fi thrills and save the film imploding following a pretty dire middle third.

trebor8273 15th December 2019 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 617089)
The Blob (1958)

Steve McQueen's first starring role and it's pretty damn forgettable. Co-star Aneta Corseaut continuously looks like she's in the wrong film and seems more likely to burst into a song and dance routine as battle an alien menace.

Director Irvin Yeaworth fails to generate any suspense whatsoever and the bulk of the movie is a talky borefest.

However it's not all bad. The small town the film is set looks great and the director captures it well with some excellent photography. The Blob itself is also a classic sci-fi creation. Yes i suppose it does look like an oozing mass of strawberry gelatin but it works very well. The Blob attacking the town cinema is an excellent effect as it oozes from the back projectors onto the audience below. In fact the final fifteen minutes are an exercise in sci-fi thrills and save the film imploding from a pretty dire middle third.

For me the remake is that rare thing that's far superior to the original. Just found the original to be very dull and boring.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th December 2019 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 617090)
For me the remake is that rare thing that's far superior to the original. Just found the original to be very dull and boring.

I believe so. I'd not seen either film before and ended up a bit disappointed by this early one.

Demoncrat 16th December 2019 11:57 AM

Alone In The Dark (1982, Jack Sholder)

A hoot. Starts off like a US Killers Moon, then severely morphs into its own little cul de sac. Frankly the most terrifying thing about this was seeing Terror from The Wanderers with hair. No shit :laugh:
Community care gets a severe bashing when a doctors patients come round for a home consultation. Yet again, how times change ;)
Recommended.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th December 2019 12:15 PM

Decemberdike # 13

1 Attachment(s)
Down a Dark Hall (2018)

Atmospheric Spanish / US supernatural chiller set at the mysterious Blackwood Boarding School for girls.

Although not an awful lot happens and it's certainly not the usual girl school exploitation fest, the bleak atmosphere (thanks to the darkly lit halls of the title) bleeds through every pore and the quality of the acting makes it seem perhaps better than it actually is. More akin to Corman's Poe cycle than say The Exorcist, the denouement is at least an original concept.

Uma Thurman steals the show as the elegantly icy Madame Duret who runs and quietly manipulates goings on at the school.

trebor8273 16th December 2019 03:45 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMoSnrd7i5c

With Rise of the Skywalker out the end of the week thought it was time too rewatch the movies before it's out.

It's not hard to see why this is thought as one of the poorest of the franchise.
Here are some reasons

midichlorians
Boring politics
Overly long pod race
Annoying child actor
Jar Jar ****ing Binks!

Some positive points

Darth Maul
Duel of the fates track
End lightsaber battle.
Qui-Gon-Jinn

6/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th December 2019 10:10 PM

Decemberdike # 14

1 Attachment(s)
Superstition (1982)

Fans of splatter will adore this low-ish budget Amityville clone in which a minister's family move into a home under the spell of a witch's curse.

Characters end up drowned, sawed, spiked, slashed and even microwaved in squishy delightful practical FX sequences.

Oh and speaking of Amityville. This is so much more schlocky fun, so much so that it feels Italian.