Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th April 2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 624868)
It replaces a love of Arsenal for the Red Sox. Interestingly they had to re-shoot the end of the film.

I'm sure you know this already. Boston were 3-0 down to the Yankees in the final series but ended up winning the next fouClickr games which was extremely unlikely so they had to re-shoot as the film makers presumed the Yankees would end up winning. Boston hadn't won the World Series for 86 years and this film sort of became a celebration of that momentous win. They even showed the film on huge screens at Fenway Park afterwards. Might have been it's premiere.

I enjoyed it as much for being a sports movie and a Red Sox love in as a rom-com.

I haven't read Fever Pitch. The finale just isn't my thing haha. But both this and the UK film are spawned from that memoir.

The Red Sox World Series win in 2003 was remarkable, breaking what sportswriter Dan Shaughnessy termed the 'Curse of the Bambino', the run of 86 years without a World Series win which started when they traded Babe Ruth to the Yankees.

Coming back from 3-0 to win the ALCS was a first in the history of baseball and winning the World Series in a clean sweep stunned the sports world.

To be honest, I thought the film was more of a chick flick and wasn't really a 'sports film'; if it's as you describe, it does sound like something I'd enjoy. As you said, Drew Barrymore was on a bit of a hot streak in films in the first decade of this century, with the films Donnie Darko, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Charlie's Angels, Music and Lyrics, and Whip It all having very good performances from her.

Demoncrat 12th April 2020 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 624869)
Has anyone seen Mean Girls 2?

Does it come even remotely close to the classic original?

Considering we have two copies that just sat there, I'd say not, but who can tell?

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th April 2020 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 624871)
The Red Sox World Series win in 2003 was remarkable, breaking what sportswriter Dan Shaughnessy termed the 'Curse of the Bambino', the run of 86 years without a World Series win which started when they traded Babe Ruth to the Yankees.

Coming back from 3-0 to win the ALCS was a first in the history of baseball and winning the World Series in a clean sweep stunned the sports world.

To be honest, I thought the film was more of a chick flick and wasn't really a 'sports film'; if it's as you describe, it does sound like something I'd enjoy. As you said, Drew Barrymore was on a bit of a hot streak in films in the first decade of this century, with the films Donnie Darko, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Charlie's Angels, Music and Lyrics, and Whip It all having very good performances from her.

What was good about it was it was the Farrelly brothers at the subtlest rather than full on zany.

Dave Boy 12th April 2020 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 223678
JESUS OF NAZARETH 4 PART MINI SERIES (1977)

Sir Lew Grade and Franco Zeffirelli's production of the Gospel's has yet to be surpassed. Awesome.
:star::star::star::star::star:

And so concludes my Easter viewing.

MrBarlow 12th April 2020 07:18 PM

Carry on Again Doctor. 1969.

Doctor Nookey is disgraced and sent to Africa to Join Doctor Gladstone on a volunteer to help the locals, he persuades Doctor Gladstone to give him a formula to treat obesity and looks for fame a nd fortune only with a side effect.

Most of the cast from the first return and in different roles except Hattie Jacques who returns as Matron, This is the one we see Barbara Windsor is her love shape bikini and Jim dale going down the stairs on a trolley. The laughs keep coming between all the scenes even Charles Hawtrey seems to have that menacing evil look while spiking a drink. One of the best in the series.

nicholasrope 12th April 2020 09:14 PM

Spider Man: Far From Home, Air Up There, Black Belt, Snakes On A Plane & Yesterday

5 Attachment(s)
Spider Man: Far From Home

I know it's sacrilege but I never saw this at the Cinema and this is the 1st time I've seen this (After End Game, I was a bit sick of Marvel films and felt that this came out too soon after it) Anyway I quite enjoyed it especially the school news report at the beginning with the In Memoriam and the bemoaning of the returnees from the blip having to re-do a school year. However I didn't like the whole illusion stuff from the villains.

The Air Up There

Family friendly Kevin Bacon film where he's a school Basketball Scout who travels to an African Village in hope of persuading a tribe's next in line to play Basketball for his school. During his visit, he helps the tribe save their land against a company wanting to do some mining by coaching a team against the company's team. Standard fare really, one of those films that's get released at the cinema during the school holiday's to attract older children.

Black Belt

Don "The Dragon" Wilson Martial Arts movie where he plays an ex-cop who is hired to protect a Singer from a stalker and Mob Boss. Basic Martial Arts movie that was amongst a slew of them from the late 80's and early 90's especially being one that has the Actors Championship titles won under their names in the credits. BTW I love these movies and do like Don Wilson, not his best but enjoyable still

Snakes On A Plane

Mob Boss puts Snakes on a plane in order to kill a witness. Samuel L. Jackson is there to stop the Snakes. What is there more to say, it's just a great sit back, relax and enjoy type of movie which you don't need to engage your brain for.

Yesterday

After a blackout, a singer realizes that no-one has heard any Beatles songs so he releases them himself. Not a bad movie especially when Ed Sheeran makes a suggestion to rename a song to Hey Dude and Record Executives want to rename Albums. However this movie didn't go into any details on how things suddenly don't exist anymore nor does it explain how some people remember these things.

MrBarlow 12th April 2020 09:19 PM

City Of Blood. 1987.

A medical examiner gets involved in a series of murders of prostitutes that may be connected to something else.

This was a weird murder mystery thriller with a hint of supernatural mixed into it, i was expecting it to be full of blood slasher mayhem turned out it wasn't the case. The film starts off well with good direction but does slant down then back on track with a some-what predictable twist ending that i forgot about a certain weapon, won't say it's great, worth a watch for some moments but it's nothing special.

Demoncrat 12th April 2020 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We Summon The Darkness

:rockon:
Set in '87, 3 rock chicks meet some dudes at a gig, and invite them back for some fun. Not what I expected, be warned the Knoxville is in it though :lol:
A bit of fun. I recommend it mainly for the t shirts!!!

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th April 2020 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965)

Epic recreation of the life of Jesus of Nazareth.

Superb production values and a fine cast make the three hour run time seem like, well, a couple of hours i suppose.

Special mention must go to the late Max Von Sydow, highly memorable as Jesus in each and every scene.

John Ford would have been in awe at some of the cinematography of the Arizona, Utah and Nevada landscapes.

A largely enjoyable way to spend an Easter Sunday evening whilst isolating.

Inspector Abberline 12th April 2020 10:36 PM

The House Where Evil Dwells (1982)

1 Attachment(s)
The house where Evil dwells,has a fairly interesting premise. Samurai catches wife having an affair, samurai kills wife and lover,go forward a few hundred years to an American family moving into the house where the murders occurred. Condemned by bad karma the ghosts now inhabit the house and intended to haunt any one who dares occupy the premises. Susan George and husband Edward Albert,move into the house,and are soon experiencing some ghostly shenanigans, although it's mostly Susan George being egged on to having an affair with hairy chested actor Doug McClure.And while I get the impression we are meant to take it seriously,the scenes where the ghosts just seem to hang about watching the family and sometimes possess somebody by walking through them,are so mundane and pedestrian that they fail to raise any scares or suspense. Speaking of thing's raising we do get a topless scene with Susan George, but apart from this, the director Kevin Connor doesn't manage to illicit anything more than boredom...