Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

trebor8273 23rd March 2013 11:40 AM

Starting mystery men, years since I've seen this and can't remember much, but 50p I can't complain if its not any good

Delirium 23rd March 2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 329997)
The Blue Angel

Magnificent film. I've only ever seen it on DVD, but I picked myself up the Masters of Cinema BD and am looking forward to the HD treatment of this fine film. I've only ever seen the German version, but I like the fact that MOS have included both the German and English versions which were only available separately before.

mr 420 23rd March 2013 11:54 AM

Africa Addios/Farewell Africa is VERY strong stuff, Nos. I've had it for years on UK video (uncut, too!) and have only been able to sit through it twice, due to the horrific scenes that pepper the film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd March 2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 330041)
Magnificent film. I've only ever seen it on DVD, but I picked myself up the Masters of Cinema BD and am looking forward to the HD treatment of this fine film. I've only ever seen the German version, but I like the fact that MOS have included both the German and English versions which were only available separately before.

That one is the Masters of Cinema BD, but I also have the Eureka BD from 2002 which is a two disc DVD release and contains both the German and English versions. I've seen them both several times, but not for several years.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd March 2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 330042)
Africa Addios/Farewell Africa is VERY strong stuff, Nos. I've had it for years on UK video (uncut, too!) and have only been able to sit through it twice, due to the horrific scenes that pepper the film.

I know – it's a very tough watch. I have the limited edition Mondo Cane collection and have seen the English version, but it also contains the director's cut, which I haven't watched yet and that's why it's on the list.

SShaw 23rd March 2013 03:51 PM

Earlier this afternoon I saw American Mary again on the big screen. I still think its great. Skipped The Bay in order to check into my hotel. Now back in my seat for Citadel and then Stoker.

I quite liked Citadel, will write more when I am in front of a proper keyboard.

Stoker was excellent, but will need at least one rematch. I know this is on general release in the U.K. Go see it!

demonknight 23rd March 2013 04:09 PM

Watched Dredd on Bluray earlier today.A/V presentation was spot on,movie itself
was okay,nothing special. I've never seen the Sylvester Stallone version so I've
nothing to compare it to either.That said there are worse ways to spend 95 minutes :rolleyes:

Rik 23rd March 2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 330077)
Watched Dredd on Bluray earlier today.A/V presentation was spot on,movie itself
was okay,nothing special. I've never seen the Sylvester Stallone version so I've
nothing to compare it to either.That said there are worse ways to spend 95 minutes :rolleyes:

Watching the Stallone version being one way

troggi 23rd March 2013 04:23 PM

Just 'ave t' mention th't Corman put some tish art an'all, some o' which fon' th'r way on t' MST3K t' bi "enhanced."

That sed Ah luv 'em all, 'specially t' Poe batch
:popcorn:

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd March 2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 330082)
Just 'ave t' mention th't Corman put some tish art an'all, some o' which fon' th'r way on t' MST3K t' bi "enhanced."

And in English please...

Slippery Jack 23rd March 2013 04:56 PM

It must take quite an effort to type like that :confused: . . .

Rik 23rd March 2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 330082)

I'll translate seeing as it reads like Yorkshire speak.

Just have to mention that Corman put some tish out as well, some of which found there way onto MST3K to be "enhanced"

That said, I love them all, especially the Poe batch

Hope this clears things up :D

Beyond72 23rd March 2013 05:46 PM

Amityville Horror '79

While I prefer the second film, it holds up pretty well, that is until the last "Kitchen Sink" third.

Dawn of the Dead '78

The sign of a classic horror film is, scenes still remain effective even after you've watched them numerous times. So a part of me is desperate for Roger to get back in the truck without getting bit and Flyboy pisses me off when he ignores Peter's advice about leaving the bikers to it. - Yea I love the film. :blush:

Scream

Hated it when it first came out. But decided to watch it again (since it was on TV) with an open mind. I didn't hate it as much this time, but I still think it's vastly overrated. In terms of, it's good, but not that good. It still falls apart by the end like most Slashers, it's production values go along way though. But it certainly didn't save a genre, (That had been going for 100 years or so!) if anything it lead to lots of unnecessary displays of teen angst in the genre.

Justin101 23rd March 2013 05:50 PM

The scene with the trucks always has me on edge, especially with that pounding Goblin music.

Slippery Jack 23rd March 2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyond72 (Post 330103)
Amityville Horror '79

While I prefer the second film, it holds up pretty well, that is until the last "Kitchen Sink" third.

The last third, when it turns into a working class, social realist British drama :confused:;) . . .

Beyond72 23rd March 2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 330106)
The last third, when it turns into a working class, social realist British drama :confused:;) . . .

yea but with nods to the Exorcist & Omen thrown in too.
(But to be fair I wonder if it's Husband goes crazy with an axe and uses it on a door ending inspired The Shining's. Even if the novel predates it.)

Slippery Jack 23rd March 2013 06:01 PM

I've never seen it :shocked: Maybe I'll skip it and go straight to the sequel that y'all seem to be raving about . . .

gag 23rd March 2013 06:02 PM

Not so much as a film,
But been watching tales from the dark side on horror and tbh what a load of crap havent 1 bit in the least found it interesting in anyway shape or form,

Beyond72 23rd March 2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 330114)
I've never seen it :shocked: Maybe I'll skip it and go straight to the sequel that y'all seem to be raving about . . .

The sequel is cheesy at times (it goes through the roof towards the end!) but there's still some very creepy/disturbing moments. (But not necessarily in the way you'd expect from a haunted house picture.) ... ;)

fuzzymctiger 23rd March 2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyond72 (Post 330120)
The sequel is cheesy at times (it goes through the roof towards the end!) but there's still some very creepy/disturbing moments. (But not necessarily in the way you'd expect from a haunted house picture.) ... ;)

Amityville 2 is on at a local theatre in April near me, but due to it being 18+ I cant see it :(

gag 23rd March 2013 10:30 PM

Carver
Quite enjoyed this average slasher flick usual group go camping etc but what I liked was film made you feel like you was watching a old slather that was made in the 80s era and not the usual Hollywood feel all bright and colourfull one particular scene made cringe and go ouch worth a reccomeded watch,

troggi 23rd March 2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 330087)
I'll translate seeing as it reads like Yorkshire speak.

Just have to mention that Corman put some tish out as well, some of which found there way onto MST3K to be "enhanced"

That said, I love them all, especially the Poe batch

Hope this clears things up :D

Thank you so much.
As I've said before I come over all northern when tired, hungry or emotional. It's good t' know that I'll be understood by some in those instances.

And no it dun't tek much t' type like this cus me fingers'r' northern an'all:p

Metallicbomb 23rd March 2013 10:56 PM

Today's Viewings
House On Haunted Hill
Return To House On Haunted Hill
2001 Maniacs
2001 Maniacs: Field Of Screams
:popcorn::pop2::popcorn::pop2:

JoshuaKaitlyn 23rd March 2013 11:42 PM

From 1931:

Dracula
Drácula
Frankenstein
Mata Hari

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post330172

trebor8273 24th March 2013 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
last nights viewings

Zann 24th March 2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 329986)
Sorry HUKD?

HotUKDeals - Deals, Discounts & Voucher Codes

Zann 24th March 2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 330045)
I know – it's a very tough watch. I have the limited edition Mondo Cane collection and have seen the English version, but it also contains the director's cut, which I haven't watched yet and that's why it's on the list.

For me it's one of Blue Underground's finest releases. Jacopetti and Properi broke the mould in so many ways. They made cinematic history in the truest sense of the words, completely unique pictures that could only have been made during those changing times of the sixties and seventies. Camera Obscura's Mondo Candido release is also fantastic and loaded with fascinating extras. Wish I'd seen Goodbye Uncle Tom when it screened at the BFI Southbank. Impossible to overstate my appreciation for their work, only wish they'd made more pictures...that's it gushing post over :lol:

Delirium 24th March 2013 10:54 AM

Watched Tonino Valerii's My Dear Killer last night. It's a shame that he didn't make more giallo, as it's a fun one. George Hilton is the 'tache sporting police inspector - and in this giallo, the investigation is forefront. There's a couple of nice, gory set-pieces - the circular saw of the cover and an opening decapitation by digger being the highlights - with some rather sleazy, peadophilic undertones. Plenty of red herrings too, with an almost Agatha Christie style denouement, with all the suspects gathered in a room as George prepares his big big reveal. Morricone provides the score.

Beyond72 24th March 2013 11:23 AM

Glengarry Glen Ross

Tapeheads

keirarts 24th March 2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 330114)

Amytiville 2 is actually a prequel so its easy to do. I personally love the second movie for allsorts of reasons, the tacked on exorcism, diane franklin and Andy prine being the top 3. used to have the thorn emi pre-cert tape, now I have the special edition with kim newman commentary.

trebor8273 24th March 2013 01:57 PM

Been watching beauty and the beast the original show not the awful remake, did anyone know that George r r Martin was writer and producer for the show?

Rik 24th March 2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 330254)
Amytiville 2 is actually a prequel so its easy to do. I personally love the second movie for allsorts of reasons, the tacked on exorcism, diane franklin and Andy prine being the top 3. used to have the thorn emi pre-cert tape, now I have the special edition with kim newman commentary.

Never owned this film other than on VHS taped from the telly, so I've added this edition to my never ending wishlist on Amazon

Slippery Jack 24th March 2013 02:21 PM

Yeah me to - "Kim Newman commentary" swayed it for me . . .

SShaw 24th March 2013 02:36 PM

todays films;

Painless excellent Spanish cinema, spoiled a little by the projectionists inability to keep the sound synched to the picture.

No one lives brilliant slasher pic. Recommended!

The collection I liked this.

Seasoning House You can read my Frightfest thoughts over on my diary thread.

John Dies at the end WTF. Good but not great (yet).

A pretty decent line-up from this years Fantasy Film Days!

Slippery Jack 24th March 2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 330266)

No one lives

John Dies at the end

Is this the 'ending spoiled in the title' sub-genre :lol: . . .

JoshuaKaitlyn 24th March 2013 06:52 PM

The Machine Girl (2008)

:shocked:What the F......Loved it!;)

Rik 24th March 2013 07:04 PM

The Goonies, no further comment required :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th March 2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 330319)
The Goonies, no further comment required :)

I know, its crap isn't it? :nod:

Rik 24th March 2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 330329)
I know, its crap isn't it? :nod:

:shocked: It's one of the greatest films of the 80's, what's wrong with you man :lol:

Just watched Spielberg's War of the Worlds for the first time on BBC Three, I've had the 2 disc DVD for months(a 50p CEX bargain that my son had me buy) but haven't got round to watching it yet. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it, the special effects were fantastic and I can't understand the negative reviews I've read on IMDb, definitely worthy of a place in my collection

Slippery Jack 24th March 2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 330347)
Just watched Spielberg's War of the Worlds for the first time on BBC Three, I've had the 2 disc DVD for months(a 50p CEX bargain that my son had me buy) but haven't got round to watching it yet. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it, the special effects were fantastic and I can't understand the negative reviews I've read on IMDb, definitely worthy of a place in my collection

Hmmm I thought it went a bit pants after the fantastic opening attack. Think it was beacause we are stuck with Tom Cruise playing Tom Cruise and his annoying kids. It also seemed to lack a third act. It's no Mars Attacks!, that's for sure :cool: . . .