Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st September 2021, 08:02 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
A maniac killer in a red cape and hood is killing off American tourists on a tour bus by gouging out their eyeballs.
This is an OK giallo, you will need some time to find out who is the murder, the red cape from the murder is awful btw , but the gore is good, the ending with some eyes rolling around makes the film worth a watch.

The blu ray from 88 films brings a nice documentary about Lenzi.

Lenzi is a character, at some point he looks like he invented cinema and all the others are just copying him.
Old 1st September 2021, 08:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Forgotten just what a brilliant and amazing film this is. We follow two brothers who are fire fighters ( Kurt Russel and William Baldwin) as they fight fires and each other in Chicago. It's soon apparent that a number fires are linked and are the work of arsonist. Well acted with a great cast that includes Robert DeNiro, Scott Glenn, Rebbeca De Mornay and Donald Sutherland.

As said it's well acted as well as directed and the easily best movie about fire fighters that still after all these years has the best fire scenes and practical effects .

It looks great on iTunes but I would say the only downside is it's only 5.1 While disc is DTS-X , while it's ok it would be phenomenal if you had DTS-X set up, for the fire scenes. We also have a great soundtrack.
Old 1st September 2021, 10:00 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I haven't seen Backdraft

Demoncrat likes this.
Old 1st September 2021, 10:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I haven't seen Backdraft

You have no idea what a great movie you are missing Nos., definitely one you would need to watch.
Old 1st September 2021, 10:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lock Up. 1989.

Frank Leone serving a sentence in a minimum security prison with only 6 months left is sent to a maximum prison ran by a corrupt warden and tells Frank he may never see the light of day again.

This is one of Sly Stallone's underrated movies, with action and drama under the watchful of Donald Sutherland who excels in this movie as a man wanting revenge on a prisoner and tries to break his spirit. Sonny Landham plays one of the prison bullies who tries to push Frank so the warden can try and keep him longer in the prison. John Amos plays the lead prison officer who comes across as tough but also not a rule breaker. From start to finish this is enjoyable.

81-uilGJKNL._RI_.jpg
Old 1st September 2021, 10:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
Francesca (2015)

The film starts with a girl poking a dead pigeon with a sharp stick, then going on to poke a baby in the eye with the same. She laughs as the mother screams. Fast forward 15 years and it turns out that the girl went missing after the incident, and the anniversary of the disappearance coincides with a mysterious murder where the killer has left pennies in the eyes of the victim, along with a cryptic note with an snippet from Dante’s Inferno.

…Cue the police investigation and the unfolding of the rest of the convoluted story in this impressively stylish and vintage-looking modern giallo - complete with a disco score that is more than a simple ‘nod’ to Goblin.

MuckyFunster says : “Check it out”
I too enjoyed this. The dvd has a nice slip cover with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I haven't seen Backdraft

I think you'd enjoy Backdraft, Nos. Aside from the great SFX there's a pretty cool killer sub plot too (literally) I'd buy the 4K/ Blu-ray release if i saw it at a reasonable price - a tenner. Even on Blu i'd expect that DTS track to be amazing.
Old 2nd September 2021, 01:42 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I think you'd enjoy Backdraft, Nos. Aside from the great SFX there's a pretty cool killer sub plot too (literally) I'd buy the 4K/ Blu-ray release if i saw it at a reasonable price - a tenner. Even on Blu i'd expect that DTS track to be amazing.
Duly noted. The 4K Ultra HD release is in my wish list and I'll buy it when the price is right.
Old 2nd September 2021, 02:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I too enjoyed this. The dvd has a nice slip cover with it.

Ahh unfortunately no slip cover with mine. If I remember correctly I bought this years ago for £3 or so on Asda of all places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2nd September 2021, 02:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
Ahh unfortunately no slip cover with mine. If I remember correctly I bought this years ago for £3 or so on Asda of all places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Snap! That's where i got mine from.
MuckyFunster likes this.
Old 2nd September 2021, 08:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Clown Murders. 1976.

Four friends plan on kidnapping a friend who married a rich man on Halloween as a prank only for someone to stalk and kill them.

Who would think the late great John Candy would appear in a horror film, it happened in this and even he couldn't save this film from plummeting down so badly. I have never seen it before and came across it as some good actors have appeared in horror movies early in their career, this was just uneventful, the acting was laughable, everything seems to happen in the last 15-20 minutes of the film, there is a slow character build up that makes it pointless to watch or listen too.

p44557_v_h9_aa.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!