Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Metallicbomb 13th July 2013 01:12 AM

The Task
Madagascar 3
The Descent: Part 2

keirarts 13th July 2013 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 352315)
Sadly, Twilight Time are releasing it :(

So its european import time for me then. That said, since THE FURY is getting an ARROW release it dosent rule out a UK release for the film.

fuzzymctiger 13th July 2013 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 352317)
So its european import time for me then. That said, since THE FURY is getting an ARROW release it dosent rule out a UK release for the film.

Who knows, maybe Alfredo Garcia will be the American Culture classic Arrow Academy had been teasing about ;)

tele1962 13th July 2013 07:14 AM

Last night I watched The Blob (Criterion). Great little flick given the excellent Criterion make over. Very highly recommended.:)

Hawkmonger 13th July 2013 09:15 AM

Never seen Volcano. Word of mouth it's even more shite than DP though...

demonknight 13th July 2013 09:27 AM

Day of the Dead-1985
Still brilliant.
P.S
I think Lori Cardille is quite hot in this movie :woot:

Prince_Vajda 13th July 2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 352297)
Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia

Italian BD. So cool...just so cool. Now I know where the De Niro rolling an egg in Angel Heart scene came from.

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 352306)
"Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia" is one of those films that, when you watch it for the first time, opens your eyes to just how cool some movies are without even trying! The second time you watch it you're sure how cool it is and yet it is still as gritty and grubby as the first time you saw it!:popcorn:

Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia is so friggin' intense.

Each and every time I think I can smell the head... and I'm always scratching my balls afterwards due to them nasty crabs! :coolblue:

Surely one of the most brilliant movies ever made. Peckinpah was a genius.

Pete 13th July 2013 06:40 PM

Saw three films at the cinema over the last two weeks:

NOW YOU SEE ME - Had no idea what it was about - in fact I'd never heard of it until I was asked to go and see it. Really poor, with a stupid plot and a really annoying cast (I usually like Woody Harelson but he irritated me a lot in this)

THIS IS THE END - Dumb and juvenile and I'm not ashamed to admit I found it amusing.

PACIFIC RIM - Really disappointed with this. Visually stunning but sadly, very boring, and some of the scenes toward the end were sickeningly sentimental.

darthelvis 13th July 2013 06:48 PM

A Field in England - poor, poor, poor. I was so bored watching it, I almost turned it off but kept hoping for that special something.

Runaway Train - another great package from Arrow, great performances from the leads. Never realised Danny Trejo was in it. Also fantastic interviews with cast and crew filmed by High Rising.

Foxy Brown - This blew me away, awesome transfer and the doc's from High Rising were entertaining and informative.

Spiderbaby - Wasnt a huge fan of the film but again a bumper package from Arrow, they are on top form at the moment.

The Howling - great package from Scream Factory and the film has never looked better.

Ninja 3 - I had never seen this before and am kicking myself! What a fun flick! If you like crazy ninja movies you NEED this.

trebor8273 13th July 2013 06:56 PM

The people under the stairs.

A lot better than a remember, really enjoyed it. If rumours are true about arrow release I will be buying it. 8/10

Freddys dead

I had to force myself to finish watch this turd, awful characters that you don't care about a terrible story. Nothing to redeem it apart from that it ended and at the time of release it had the novelty of the ending being in 3d, which if I remember when I saw it wasn't very good. 2/10

Off topic

I'll start my moaning about my arrow order again ;) I'm I the only person who's not received anything who ordered Wednesday or Thursday ?

SShaw 13th July 2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 352427)
Saw three films at the cinema over the last two weeks:

NOW YOU SEE ME - Had no idea what it was about - in fact I'd never heard of it until I was asked to go and see it. Really poor, with a stupid plot and a really annoying cast (I usually like Woody Harelson but he irritated me a lot in this)

I saw Now You See Me this evening. It reminded me a lot of a bad episode of the U.K. TV series Hustler (at least I think that is what it was called, it was about a group of 4 con artists who planned and executed cons on 'deserving' victims each week) with a little seasoning of The Prestige. The plot was very, very predictable and while the film assembles a reasonably talented cast it then proceeds to waste them on badly drawn (and unlikeable) 2D characters.

Zann 13th July 2013 09:42 PM

The Cottage

Took a while to get going but had some decent gore (the foot bit got under my skin!) Good to see Reece Shearsmith in a movie, his character can't have been too much of a stretch from things he's done in LOG.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th July 2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 352451)
The Cottage

Took a while to get going but had some decent gore (the foot bit got under my skin!) Good to see Reece Shearsmith in a movie, his character can't have been too much of a stretch from things he's done in LOG.

He's excellent in A Field in England.

Zann 13th July 2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 352455)
He's excellent in A Field in England.

It's on my list. Have avoided reading about it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th July 2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 352459)
It's on my list. Have avoided reading about it.

Its one of those films where you can actually read about it prior to viewing as it really doesn't have a linear plot line at all. :)

You watch and let yourself become immersed in it or it leaves you cold, a highly divisive film.

Handyman Joe 14th July 2013 08:51 AM

Finally saw some new movies -

A Field in England - loved it, one that demands multiple viewings, hence the clever release strategy - fans will buy this. The music alone makes me want to dive in again soon

Maniac - cant deny this is well done and the retro synth soundtrack is spot on - but I feel like vegetarian movie goer these days, watching woman getting murdered for 90 mins is starting to make me feel queasy. Must be an age thing.

Cloud Atlas - Sadly an unmitigated disaster. For this to work each story strand had to have its own momentum so you were desperate to get back to them, but the opposite happened and you're left with 6 drab stories randomly intercut. Halle Berry is dreadful, Hanks and Grant risible. Listen, I loved the book, I admire the bravery of the directors in taking it on, but this film is just wretched.

trebor8273 14th July 2013 11:14 AM

Casablanca

What ever words I put down can't do this classic film justice. Cast and story all amazing. They really don't make them like this anymore, a film everyone should see at least once in ther life. 10/10

Sad thing is I tried to get some freinds to watch it, but because it was black and white and of a certain age they where not interested :mmph: heathens !!

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th July 2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 352475)
Casablanca

What ever words I put down can't do this classic film justice. Cast and story all amazing. They really don't make them like this anymore, a film everyone should see at least once in ther life. 10/10

My favourite film of all time.

SShaw 14th July 2013 12:51 PM

I watched the German Blu-ray of Sinister this afternoon. My thoughts on the film are unchanged since I saw it at Fright Fest last year (you can read more over on my diary thread).

Delirium 14th July 2013 02:32 PM

I watched Pacific Rim, against my better judgement. It's been a while since I've so intensely disliked a film, but I hated it.

It felt like a Michael Bay movie (though thankfully without the crass sexualisation) with everything ramped up to 11 - the problem being, where do you go when you're so relentlessly pummeled that it becomes numbing? There's nothing outside of the set-pieces of course, but the cod-characterisation is actually embarrassing with its overamped melodrama and goofy, cartoonish scientists. It's also one of those films where evry character feels the need to shout all the time - if it isn't bone crunching robot/alien fisticuffs, it's egos running rampage - I've been to quieter heavy metal gigs.

And the thing is, it would almost be forgivable if the set-pieces were entertaining, but they really aren't. Most of the fights are set at sea, so there's little sense of scale to it all; the one brief fight in a city is over and done with soon, so there's little in the way of Godzilla style real peril, and the aliens all pretty uninteresting to look at. It felt like those cheesy Japanese programs in which a guy in a rubber suit hits a guy in a robot suit - and that is essentially it, while each set-piece is essentially the same with the Aliens getting slightly bigger.

Astoundingly bad. And my girlfriend knew I hated it as I did something I never do at the cinema - I went to the loo partway through. I either go before or can hold it, but I felt like some respite from the mindnumbing tedium of it all.. and the casual stroll to the loos and back was far more entertaining than the torturous 2 hours + of that insufferable piece of crap.

trebor8273 14th July 2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 352486)
I watched Pacific Rim, against my better judgement. It's been a while since I've so intensely disliked a film, but I hated it.

It felt like a Michael Bay movie (though thankfully without the crass sexualisation) with everything ramped up to 11 - the problem being, where do you go when you're so relentlessly pummeled that it becomes numbing? There's nothing outside of the set-pieces of course, but the cod-characterisation is actually embarrassing with its overamped melodrama and goofy, cartoonish scientists. It's also one of those films where evry character feels the need to shout all the time - if it isn't bone crunching robot/alien fisticuffs, it's egos running rampage - I've been to quieter heavy metal gigs.

And the thing is, it would almost be forgivable if the set-pieces were entertaining, but they really aren't. Most of the fights are set at sea, so there's little sense of scale to it all; the one brief fight in a city is over and done with soon, so there's little in the way of Godzilla style real peril, and the aliens all pretty uninteresting to look at. It felt like those cheesy Japanese programs in which a guy in a rubber suit hits a guy in a robot suit - and that is essentially it, while each set-piece is essentially the same with the Aliens getting slightly bigger.

Astoundingly bad. And my girlfriend knew I hated it as I did something I never do at the cinema - I went to the loo partway through. I either go before or can hold it, but I felt like some respite from the mindnumbing tedium of it all.. and the casual stroll to the loos and back was far more entertaining than the torturous 2 hours + of that insufferable piece of crap.

Have to agree was looking forward to this but it was just a awful ,you really think its a bay movie and not del toro. Really can't believe this is getting such good reviews. I wish I had went to see monster university or despicable me 2, really hope this is not a sign of the quality of del toros work to come :(

Beyond72 14th July 2013 02:45 PM

So, we don't have any crackers?

The Incredible Melting Man

Hadn't seen it since the days of video. While it starts to drag half way through, the severed head/waterfall and fall/electrocution gags made it worth while. :)

troggi 14th July 2013 02:50 PM

"Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter"
I really wasn't expecting anything from this movie except fangs and blood so I was almost surprised to find myself enjoying the ride! 9/10 though for way too much C.G.I.

Invid Ninja 14th July 2013 05:26 PM

Hmm, interesting to see such negative reactions to Pacific Rim as it's one of the few films this year I am legitimately excited to see; pretty much all of my friends who are into film in general have adored it after being disappointed by other blockbuster fare this year. I'll be seeing it on a half price Wednesday but fingers crossed it turns out good either way.

Anyway back to my ever growing pile of unwatched stuff in my collection.....XD

Slippery Jack 14th July 2013 05:52 PM

Films for a hot day indoors :dizzy:

Tropicilia - About the 60's Brazillian pop/social-political movement. Lots of great summery choonz and colourful footage from the period, though it didn't go very deep into the political stuff. An enjoyable watch though.

El Topo - Only made it about halfway in, but seen it loads of times so it doesn't matter. I'd love to paint a poster for this film at some point.

keirarts 14th July 2013 06:57 PM

I DIDN'T COME HERE TO DIE.

The Bloodydisgusting.com review seems to suggest its the best horror since evil dead. Thats hyperbole. Its a decent film and well executed and it dosent outstay its welcome but i've seen better.

MAY I KILL U?

Kevin Bishop plays an unhinged copper out murdering people and making his own snuff films for social networking. A bit overlong and not one i'll watch again, Kevin Bishop was ok and the film seems to make the most of it's micro budget...

I'm going to see PACIFIC RIM tommorrow. The reviews above dont fill me with confidence, but then everyones views on films are different. Before the two above I decided to give MICMACS a try to see if I was being a bit too harsh in my dislike of Jean pierre Juenet films.... Nah its toatal garbage. Felt like the sort of film i'm supposed to say I like in front of other people rather than one I actually watch for pleasure. Switched it off half an hour in and stuck I didn't come here to die on instead. I know people on here enjoyed Micmacs so I might enjoy Pacific rim.... Fingers crossed at any rate, i'll be going in with significantly lowered expectations.

trebor8273 14th July 2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 352516)

The Bloodydisgusting.com review seems to suggest its the best horror since evil dead. Thats hyperbole. Its a decent film and well executed and it dosent outstay its welcome but i've seen better.

MAY I KILL U?

Kevin Bishop plays an unhinged copper out murdering people and making his own snuff films for social networking. A bit overlong and not one i'll watch again, Kevin Bishop was ok and the film seems to make the most of it's micro budget...

I'm going to see PACIFIC RIM tommorrow. The reviews above dont fill me with confidence, but then everyones views on films are different. Before the two above I decided to give MICMACS a try to see if I was being a bit too harsh in my dislike of Jean pierre Juenet films.... Nah its toatal garbage. Felt like the sort of film i'm supposed to say I like in front of other people rather than one I actually watch for pleasure. Switched it off half an hour in and stuck I didn't come here to die on instead. I know people on here enjoyed Micmacs so I might enjoy Pacific rim.... Fingers crossed at any rate, i'll be going in with significantly lowered expectations.

My review was probably a bit harsh, not terrible but just average at best, suppose that's because I was really looking forward to it and wasn't going to live up to my expectations , but definitely a down turn in del toros work. Also was a group of people in front of me who wouldn't shut up all the way threw the movie so that also ruined the experience as well

troggi 14th July 2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

MAY I KILL U?

I'd say that that was a healthy stand to take. I absolutely hate it when folk say "oh! GUSH, It's so deep! you must love it because it is so cerebral, GUSH, but DON'T enjoy it that would make it just the same as those trashy mainstream films! GUSH!"

I don't watch films or read books to pull 'em apart and look for 'idden meanings "in the counterpoint to the subtext" or some such tripe. As the great Frank Zappa said "whatever happened to all the fun in the world?"

Slippery Jack 14th July 2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

I know people on here enjoyed Micmacs so I might enjoy Pacific rim....

:confused:

I'm failing to see the connection . . . ?

Invid Ninja 14th July 2013 07:25 PM

My only connection with Jeunet as a director while on this topic is simple. Amelie was quaint and pleasant but to me felt too slight to leave much of an impression. To me as I've said many times here I still think Alien Resurrection is just plain awful; I've had no urge or interest to watch any of his other films regardless of their critical praise.

trebor8273 14th July 2013 07:29 PM

Star Wars episode one the phantom menace

Ok movie, but suffers like most of Lucas stuff from childish writing and dialogue and awful casting. The end light sabre battle is still great, but the pod racer is still over long and boring. At least on the blu ray they have replaced the puppet yoda with a CGI version. jar jar binks their should be a special place in hell for lucas inflicting this upon the world. Has its flaws but still a fun movie. 6.5/10

Wes cravers a new nightmare

Really enjoyed this. Especially after the dire 5th and 6th movies. Totally separate from the other films but for me the most disturbing and terrifying since the first movie. 9/10

The man who cheated death
Never seen this hammer before so didn't know what to expect, but found a effective horror with a interesting story and good cast which I'm happy to have in my collection 7/10

Deep rising

I know this got panned by critics, but I really enjoyed a fun monster movie with some great gore, CGI effects aren't that great by today's standards but they still do there job, we have a good cast Treat Williams who comes of as Han Solo on a boat and the always lovely Famke Janssen. Shame it did poorly and we never saw a sequel 7.5/10

Slippery Jack 14th July 2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 352522)
My only connection with Jeunet as a director while on this topic is simple. Amelie was quaint and pleasant but to me felt too slight to leave much of an impression. To me as I've said many times here I still think Alien Resurrection is just plain awful; I've had no urge or interest to watch any of his other films regardless of their critical praise.

That's a shame, you missed his work with Marc Caro, which is much better in my opinion . . .

Slippery Jack 14th July 2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 352523)
Deep rising

I know this got panned by critics, but I really enjoyed a fun monster movie with some great gore, CGI effects aren't that great by today's standards but they still do there job, we have a good cast Treat Williams who comes of as Han Solo on a boat and the always lovely Famke Janssen. Shame it did poorly that we didn't get a sequel 7.5/10

I had this on VHS and played it to death :lol: Reckon Stephen Sommers is unlikely to make another film as fun as this . . .

Invid Ninja 14th July 2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 352526)
That's a shame, you missed his work with Marc Caro, which is much better in my opinion . . .

Perhaps I'm being a tad harsh, but as a collector I already have way too much on my unwatched pile that peaks my interest more. XD

Delirium 14th July 2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 352518)
My review was probably a bit harsh, not terrible but just average at best, suppose that's because I was really looking forward to it and wasn't going to live up to my expectations , but definitely a down turn in del toros work. Also was a group of people in front of me who wouldn't shut up all the way threw the movie so that also ruined the experience as well

My review wasn't harsh. I hated it and that's all there is to it. ;)

SShaw 14th July 2013 09:08 PM

Finished the evening with a return to Kevin Smith's work,this time Dogma. Dogma is one of those films that I love when I am watching it - it has some brilliant one liners and is littered with homages to other films - but thinking about it afterwards I still find otto be a let down after Chasing Amy. The message is too heavy. Next up Jay and Bob Strike Back and then (if I can pick it up while in Canada) Jersey Girl (currently the only Smith film I don't have on blu).

Prince_Vajda 14th July 2013 09:55 PM

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981)

The interaction between Nicholson and Lange is sizzling hot. Real shagging? Definitely. John Colicos and Michael Lerner are excellently cast in their respective roles. As for the ending...I'm still gutted. Sympathy for sex-driven murderers? Just strike me pink! :o :blush:

Look out for Anjelica Huston in a small role. Compelling.

A brilliant film.

Zann 15th July 2013 06:17 AM

Black Sabbath & Baron Blood

Wonderful looking BDs, Baron Blood especially...pity about the Coke machine in the old Viennese castle.

Hawkmonger 15th July 2013 07:40 AM

I seem to be at an ends with Pete here. As I found Now you See Me enjoyable fluff if a bit deflating, This is the End utter shite and one of the few films I've recently walked out on, and Pacific Rim to be utterly thrilling and pandering to my inner child. Diversity here folks.:pound:

Frankie Teardrop 15th July 2013 08:09 AM

Haven't really been watching much at all recently.
Revisited THE ISLAND OF DEATH and found it to have lost none of its sleazy charm. Made the mistake of trying to fathom its moral compass whilst completely drunk - things didn't work out well. Outside of the catalogue of sordid goings on it offers, the ending with the shepherd is just mad. What does it all mean? "Grab the sword, kill them all!" etc etc - wonderful soundtrack.

COSMOPOLIS I thought was great, the nearest thing to 'old style' Cronenberg I've seen in a while. I realise that most will violently shake their heads at that one, but it seemed pretty true to the essence of what he often says albeit in a non-FX context and pitched to the point of abstraction. Fragmented, dreamy atmosphere and I was never bored once - something about all that cryptic (or uber pretentious?) dialogue kept me riveted, somehow.

TRANCERS seemed like highly agreeable rubbish and tallied well with my eighties fetish. In this case, the 'eightiesness' was all about Christmas in LA in 1985, something which seems sufficiently exotic and weird enough to appeal to my provincial mentality. Obvious elements like the whole time slip thing and the sci-fi noir aspect might have been imported from other sources, but it felt somehow like it staked out its own territory and rose above the perils of genre derivation. Actually, to skip back to my opening line, I did say 'rubbish' didn't I... whereas in fact this is competently made, well paced and self aware, with a few knowing winks tossed out to the audience. I don't know what the rest of them are like, I know there were quite a few sequels.