Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2023, 01:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I didn’t really like either Evil Dead or Scream 6 but the latter is certainly the worst of the two! Evil Dead starts really great but I think the last 40 minutes got really annoying to me, where as Scream has literally two good scenes, the bit in the corner shop and on the subway train.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th June 2023, 01:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I didn’t really like either Evil Dead or Scream 6 but the latter is certainly the worst of the two! Evil Dead starts really great but I think the last 40 minutes got really annoying to me, where as Scream has literally two good scenes, the bit in the corner shop and on the subway train.
Joy of joys. I'd earmarked both for my collection.

Did you like Scream 5 or whatever it was called last year?
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 18th June 2023, 01:35 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

I did like it actually but I’ve never felt like I should rewatch it, so take from that what you will.

On the other hand though I did not like the previous Evil Dead film at all, but all the reviews and buzz for …Rises was very positive so I watched it anyway.

Old 18th June 2023, 01:38 PM
Cult Master

Quote:

I know you didn't ask me but I thought 5 was better than 6 still not a great film but it was less annoying than 6.

I agree Justin about the two scenes the shop scene was definitely my favourite.
Old 18th June 2023, 02:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I know you didn't ask me but I thought 5 was better than 6 still not a great film but it was less annoying than 6.

I agree Justin about the two scenes the shop scene was definitely my favourite.
Interesting. I really liked the fifth film.

When it comes out on Blu, if it has a nice slip case i'll buy it if not i'll wait until it halves in price

@ Justin. I hated Evil Dead the first time i saw it but never got rid of the dvd. I gave it a rewatch a few years later and quite enjoyed it.

It's not a patch on the three Bruce films but as a movie in it's own right it was a lot better. Had it not been called Evil Dead i'd have liked it even more no doubt. Should have called it The Cabin in the Woods because the film that currently goes under that title is terrible.
Old 18th June 2023, 03:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just watched the new Flash film. It was genuinely awful. I dread to think how bad Batgirl might have been. The Flash's alternative younger self is the character equivalent of nails down a chalkboard and you have to take notice of some incredibly poor computer effects. The return of Michael Keaton as Batman did nothing to save it (I also previously thought that I would never see the character wearing flip flops). I was actually anticipating this film too. Avoid (unless curiousity gets the better of you), easily one of the poorest snyderverse DC films.
Old 18th June 2023, 03:15 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:

@ Justin. I hated Evil Dead the first time i saw it but never got rid of the dvd. I gave it a rewatch a few years later and quite enjoyed it.

It's not a patch on the three Bruce films but as a movie in it's own right it was a lot better. Had it not been called Evil Dead i'd have liked it even more no doubt. Should have called it The Cabin in the Woods because the film that currently goes under that title is terrible.
I only watched it for the first time a couple of months ago, I watched it with my friend who stayed very quiet all the way through and at the end we both looked at each other, he said "hmm" and we both burst out laughing... Not in a huge rush to watch it again.

Old 18th June 2023, 03:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)

One of my top five films of all time.

There's so much going on in Sergio Leone's three hour epic but what makes it stand out from the rest is the little character sub plots. Tuco (Eli Wallach) seeing his brother, a priest (Luigi Pistilli) for the first time since their parents died, or the lengthy sequence at the Union prison camp in which Angel Eyes (Lee Van Cleef) has his thug corporal (Mario Braga) beat seven bells out of Tuco whilst a Confederate prison band play a mournful song outside to disguise the screams in what turns out to be a genuinely harrowing scene.

It's probably the character of Tuco that makes The Good the Bad and the Ugly so amazing. He's the film's true anti-hero. A despicable character that we grow to love the longer the film goes on. It's one hell of a performance from Eli Wallach.

The films climax is simply outstanding. From Tuco (See, what did i tell you?) running round the cemetery desperately searching for the grave of Arch Stanton as Ennio Morricone's wonderfully thrilling The Ecstasy of Gold fills the speakers with glorious power in a scene of head spinning wooziness before a three way showdown between Blondie (Clint Eastwood), Angel Eyes and Tuco, staged so as to generate palm sweating tension by Leone rounds off this masterpiece of cinema.

I've barely mentioned star Clint Eastwood nor villain Lee Van Cleef and ignored completely the superb cinematography...It was Tom Petty who said the immortal line "Don't bore us, get to the chorus." so here goes.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is a f*cking masterpiece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51MaJZrEyHL._AC_.jpg (41.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 18th June 2023, 09:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

I thought Scream 6 was less s**t than 5. It was still weak, and Ortega is still the only one of the leads to have any charisma or presence at all, but at least it didn't destroy, humiliate and kill another legacy male hero (did Kathleen Kennedy write the script?) and had the killers actually have a recognisable motive rather than use it is an excuse for Hollyweird to spit venom at fans who are critical of their endless recycled BS (Scream 5 being recycled BS, of course). It wasn't good, but I didn't find it as egregiously offensive.
There should, of course, have been no more once Craven went. But Hollyweird is out of ideas.
Old 19th June 2023, 10:43 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

OLD – M N Shyamalan’s concept horror about holidaymakers trapped on a mysterious beach. Had high hopes for the nice air of foreboding that settled in early on; it seemed to blossom in the first half hour or so, which felt quite eerie and full of well-orchestrated discord. But then it all went to shit. We’re given some quite ludicrous scenes – someone getting pregnant and giving birth in a matter of minutes, people gurning a lot when they’re supposedly going mad etc All of that was still fun in a way, but… it felt like a wrong turn. Got a bit of entertainment, but I doubt I’ll see it again.

EIGHT FOR SILVER – Nicely atmospheric period macabre set in late 19th cent France (although I kept on having to check it wasn’t Yorkshire). The backstory is slightly ‘The Fog’-like in that it’s about the fatal betrayal of a marginalised community, but the horror set loose is of the lycanthropic kind. The vibe is sombre, the palette misty grey… ‘Eight For Silver’ punctuates its heavy mood with some bloodthirsty graphics (including, to pull in another random JC reference, a weirdly ‘The Thing’-like autopsy sequence) whilst above all else remaining an ode to the grimness of those pre-20th cent rural hinterlands, places not quite tamed by science and the big society. Enjoyed it, maybe you might too.

Like this? Share it using the links below!