Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179958Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th April 2024, 11:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Now, i wonder if The 13th Warrior is available on Blu-ray?
Only on 15 year old bds from France and Germany. My French disc has fairly poor HD picture quality, it's difficult to recommend a purchase. The German disc looks a bit better but is pretty much useless as it has forced German subtitles if you select English audio. Odd that it's still just those two blu-ray options.
Old 30th April 2024, 03:47 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just watched a blu-ray of the 16:9 open matte version of Dario Argento's Opera. I'd never seen that version before, it was fascinating. It put a different spin on a film that I've seen countless times. Whilst clearly being composed for full widescreen, there were sometimes moments or actual scenes where a taller aspect ratio worked better (I'm mainly thinking about shots of the birds or parts of the last twenty minutes). btw Tried listening to the Cannes audio but gave up and reverted to the final audio track (the policeman's original voice really was awful).
Old 30th April 2024, 11:07 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
A miserable, cold, wet and windy Monday night and Milly and i curled up and just watched Pretty Woman (1990) for the very first time...and loved it.

Who'd a thought it?

It?s a great film! I?ve watched it so many times

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 30th April 2024, 11:35 AM
Cult Addict

Pretty Woman is one of those films I've never owned and never will. Not even a film I would likely actively choose to put on. However I've seen it numerous times as its one if you happen to catch just a minute then that's it, you watch the whole thing. Endlessly watchable but totally unessential.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 2nd May 2024, 07:44 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Unseen Movie 59

Dancer In The Dark. 2000.

A Czech immigrant living in Washington dreams of being a actress while working in a factory and living with her 12 year old son, trying to make ends meet to save money for a operation for her son to have.

I'm not a great fan of Bjork, but I am a fan of Lars Von Tier and have held off watching this and surprisingly this was actually enjoyable that may blow your mind, it's like the lead actress gets a break then comes along a hurdle and you can only watch it right to the end to see how things will unfold for her. Lars knows how to pack everything in with a time frame with different emotions for different characters, a good few songs and dance numbers mixed in with such a great tale of happiness, sadness, friendship and hardship and how one person can effect those around her in different emotions. Certainly one I will watch again and recommend.

L_p0001741686.jpg
Old 2nd May 2024, 09:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

China O'Brien

Cynthia Rothrock resigns from the Police Force after a fatal shooting so she moves back to a small town where her Father who's the Sheriff runs fowl of the local Crime Boss who's able to corrupt the local officials. After he is murdered, she runs for his job and a battle ensues as there are attempts to prevent her from winning. Helping her out is former flame, Richard Norton and a loner, Keith Cooke.

I remember watching this Film when it was rented when it came out in 1990, I never bought the VHS as there were other purchases to be made and to my knowledge, there wasn't a UK DVD (Come to think of it, a lot of EIV Films from the 80's-early 90's seem to be in rights hell) so after nearly 33 years and after getting the Eureka Set, I watched it again.

I know that these Films don't have the greatest Acting nor Scripts but the initial 30 odd minutes made me think that this wasn't going to be any good but I suddenly got into it and rather enjoyed it. The Fight scenes involving Norton and Cooke were really good.

It's a Film I can go back to if it's hot, want something easy to watch or have no idea what I want to watch.

East LA Warriors

Story of warring LA Gangs as they prepare for battle and a former Gang Member mentoring a wannabe Gang Member who's Father he killed.

This is one of PM Entertainment Films earliest offerings and whist the Acting and Script isn't great, it showed the potential PM Films had and boy they did some bangers in 91 and beyond. A choice selection of their Films would be a welcome release from 88, Eureka...etc. Not the best but I was entertained.

China O'Brien 2

Rothrock, Norton and Cooke are back and this time they are facing a former Vietnam Veteran who is after a former member of his team. I actually enjoyed this more than the original and had a great finale at the end where Billy Blanks had a small appearance.

Fall Guy

Ryan Gosling is a Stuntman who is tasked into finding the star Actor who has gone missing. His former Lover played by Emily Blunt is the Director of the Movie he's working on.

Like Violent Night, I got fed up of seeing the Trailer on almost everything but Ryan Gosling has impressed me with all the Ken stuff he's been doing after Barbie and was incredible on a recent Saturday Night Live and whist it's decent, it's far too long. Most of the humor is in the background and if anyone watches this, I hope you like the Kiss Song I was Made For Loving You as it's on a lot, the Bon Jovi Song featured in the Trailer isn't featured but Emily Blunt does a good Against All Odds.

I really hope there's a blooper where during the Karaoke Scene that someone did I'm Just Ken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cob.jpg (9.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg elaw.jpg (12.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg cob2.jpg (11.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg fg.jpg (11.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 2nd May 2024, 10:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Videodrome (1983)

The film explores many of director David Cronenberg's career themes and obsessions such as technology fusing (is that the right word?) with the human body and the links between sex and violence. It features one of James Woods most unscrupulous performances - he's a cable channel programmer who gets drawn in completely over his head to a dark S&M channel called Videodrome - and, who along with the equally depraved Deborah Harry and some risque imagery make Videodrome an unsettling viewing experience.

Even though Videodrome probably has logic gaps throughout it's still a deeply complex, disturbing and intense watch all these years later. Oh and Rick Baker's make up FX are still awesome.
Old 3rd May 2024, 08:08 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Videodrome (1983)

The film explores many of director David Cronenberg's career themes and obsessions such as technology fusing (is that the right word?) with the human body and the links between sex and violence. It features one of James Woods most unscrupulous performances - he's a cable channel programmer who gets drawn in completely over his head to a dark S&M channel called Videodrome - and, who along with the equally depraved Deborah Harry and some risque imagery make Videodrome an unsettling viewing experience.

Even though Videodrome probably has logic gaps throughout it's still a deeply complex, disturbing and intense watch all these years later. Oh and Rick Baker's make up FX are still awesome.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg videodrome-long.jpg (41.0 KB, 28 views)
nicholasrope and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 3rd May 2024, 11:54 AM
Cult Acolyte

the-beast-in-the-cellar-aa08ceb5-76bc-4d89-a192-ba3565987af-resize-750.jpg
THE BEAST IN THE CELLAR (1971)

A series of murders of soldiers from an army base, which is originally blamed on a wild animal, prompts two sisters who live in a secluded farmhouse to face the truth of what they are hiding in their cellar may have escaped and be responsible for the deaths..

Great to finally have this on Blu ray. It looks great.
I remember when I first watched this movie on TV when I was a kid.
The ending scared the hell of me and it stuck in my mind for a long time. Really creepy scene as the 'beast' with long fingernails and seen in shadow first crawls up the stairs.
Old 4th May 2024, 12:12 AM
Cult Acolyte

I'm interested in that, though the Blu ray's insanely expensive to get from over here.
nicholasrope likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!