Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

trebor8273 19th November 2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 378851)
What's the blu like mate av wise?

It's ok a few places were quality drops.

J Harker 20th November 2013 01:24 AM

Ooh. Not the stunner I was hoping for by the sounds. Try and order it tomorrow anyway I think.

gag 20th November 2013 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 378828)
Wolverine (2013)

Enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would and a lot better than the other movie. Like how we see a vulnerable and disturbed wolverine, great action pieces and nice how it's set in Japan and had too change my pants with post credits scene. 8.5/10

Basket case

What's in the basket. The Bradley boys Duane and belial going about seeking revenge on those who separate them when they where kids, but thinks don't work out well as belial becomes jealous when Duane falls in love 8/10

Basket case 2

Our boys are back and are taking in by granny Ruth after they escape from hospital. At granny's house we meet granny's family her daughter and her extended family a group off lovable freaks. Thing are not well between our boys as belial meets someone like himself and love is in the air and Duane wants to make a normal life with himself and granny's daughter. We have a noisy reporter who is set set to exposes the brothers and the family to the public. The brothers and the freaks join force to protected themselves from the reporter and her friends. But tragedy strikes as Duane accidentally kills granny's daughter when he discovers her secret. 8.5/10

Basket case 3

Granny and her family take a road trip to vist uncle Hal and little Hal, also belials girlfriend is pregnant . Tragedy strikes again as a couple of inbred deputy sheriffs kill eve and kidnap the infants, this finally brings the two brothers back together as they seek revenge and to protect there new family . Along the way belial dispatch people in his usual creative manner but is injured and little Hal builds him a special machine to continue his revenges and we find the little ones are just like there father. 8.5/10

Watching streets of fire. First time I've seen it but loving it.

Need to watch Basket case 2 3 again didn't take to them first round,
Streets of fire is a excellent film good choice.

gag 20th November 2013 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 378686)
Viewings since last update:

Intruder - rewatched this after finishing a half marathon and celebrating with beer and pizza. The perfect film for such an occasion. I'm still surprised Scott Spiegel hasn't had more of a successful directing career as his work in this is excellent. It has tension, inventive camera placement and a wealth of great gore gags making it a really under-rated slasher film outside of the cult audience

The Night of The Hunter - another rewatch. Still an excellent southern Gothic fairytale with one of the most monstrous boogeymen in film history. Speaking of missed directorial potential I'd have loved to see what else Charles Laughton was capable of behind the camera.

The Call - Halle Berry does a minimal location/high concept b-movie-esque thriller. Really enjoyable stuff. Does what it sets out to do with great efficiency and verges on Maniac territory in the end. Really surprised at how much I enjoyed this

Blue Jasmine - it wasn't until I came out of the cinema that my friend said "I haven't read or seen it but apparently it owes a lot to A Streetcar Named Desire", something that completely passed me by when watching it. Cate Blanchett is incredible in this riches to rags story about a emotionally fragile woman who falls down the social ladder and has to move in with her sister following her husband's imprisonment for shady dealings. Blanchett's performance is mesmerising as the eponymous character in a way which makes you both pity and thoroughly dislike her. A return to form for Woody Allen since the last return to form since the last return to form since the last return to form since the last return to form since the last return to form since the last return to form...

Blackout - straight-to-dvd (one assumes) thriller of the 'people stuck in a lift' variety. Confusing, messy and all over the place but oddly shot with a real visual flair at times. The sort of rubbish Netflixploitation (yeah MTDS, let's call it that!) I can never seem to get enough of, no matter how rubbish it is.

The Wicker Man (The Final Cut) - it's been years since I saw the other 2 versions so can't really comment on how it differs in that respect (other than, in line with the so-called Director's Cut Britt Ekland's stunt arse takes a while to make an appearance) but this cut certainly doesn't lose anything that makes the original so fantastic. Looks great on bluray for the most part but I was surprised at the dip in quality on some of the newer scenes, considering the restoration work done.

The Bird With the Crystal Plumage
The Cat O' Nine Tails
Four Flies on Grey Velvet
Deep Red
Suspiria
Tenebrae
Phenomena
Two Evil Eyes
Trauma
The Phantom of The Opera

Revisted most of Argento's ouvre prior to see him in conversation at the BFI earlier this month. All rewatches apart from The Phantom of the Opera which was my first viewing and a curious mix of the tedious and the stupid albeit with great production design and soundtrack. I'll not go over the rest as you'll have all seen them and they're all varying kinds of good from the sublime (Deep Red, Tenebrae, Suspiria) to the ridiculous (Phenomena)

The Roommate - more light horror/thriller action, courtesy of Netflix. Utter arse and extremely dull to boot. I think I started nodding off at the end and can remember little about it.

The Open Door - more Netflixploitation (it's gonna catch on, fear ye not!). This one concerns a girl who calls a mysterious pirate radio station which grants its caller their hearts desires. But, y'know, with horrible consequences. You think it's going to be a slasher film but it ends up as some half-arsed Evil Dead-lite possession film with everybody screaming in a room and making little attempt to do anything about it. One of the characters quotes a line from Pulp Fiction at one point, presumably to prove that the director has actually seen a film before, and the film opens with a father shooting his family before killing himself at the dinner table which seems to have little relevance to the painful 85 minutes that follow. Poop.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch - quintessential Halloween viewing. I'd forgotten how oddly silly some of it is but it's balanced with a bleak and nihilistic edge which makes you forget about it (that ending!). It's such a shame it tanked at the box office as I'd love to have seen more standalone stories in this vein rather than the pissing on Michael Myer's legacy route that the franchise took

From Dusk Till Dawn - stuck in a hotel and this was on Channel 4. It's still about 1000% more Grindhouse that Grindhouse.

Curse of Chucky - went into this with low expectations considering the last few films but was pleasantly surprised. Felt like an old school horror film (large gothic house? Check! Thunder and lightning? Check!) and although it was a bit too free and easy with adding to the backstory in order to further the plot it was all done rather well. The 2 cameos towards the end felt a bit tacked on and like fan service to me though.

Last Caress - Strange French giallo tribute. Some decent gore effects and an enjoyable sub-Goblin electro-soundtrack but let down by incredibly amateurish directing. The poor script and lack of plot wouldn't be a problem in the company of the genre's usual visual flair (especially as the film only runs to 1 hour 5 minutes without credits!) but the straightforward locked-off-camera-and-shoot style really hampers its potential. It's good fun as an exercise in box-ticking for giallo references (including Deep Red, Suspira and the push-the-key-out-the-keyhole scene in Torso to name but three) but if you want a well done modern tribute to the gialli of the 70's you're better of looking into the work of Hélène Cattet and Bruno Forzani

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 - Aka The Texas Penis Metaphor 2. I really enjoyed this a lot more on this viewing. Once you get passed the film's completely different tone it's a crazy and fun ride

Quite a fair few films there, with work spending time with wife watching tv etc I rarely find time to watch films these days to much of my annoyance, I prob wouldn't watch that amount above in 6 weeks..
Ps the call went pics to watch that I was the same it was Actually quite good and decent and enjoyable watch..

keirarts 20th November 2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 378814)
Not a film but watched the trailer for x-men days of future past, it looks absolutely amazing. Hell of lot better than I was expecting

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pK2zYHWDZKo

Yeah it looks good but this is the one i'm looking forward too!

Captain America The Winter Soldier trailer UK -- Official Marvel | HD - YouTube

Last night I watched THE HEARSE.

Good old fashioned scary movie that probably came out a wee bit too late and wasn't what audiences were looking for. Shame as I enjoy it and the katerina disc is great quality.

PaulD 20th November 2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 378865)
Quite a fair few films there, with work spending time with wife watching tv etc I rarely find time to watch films these days to much of my annoyance, I prob wouldn't watch that amount above in 6 weeks..
Ps the call went pics to watch that I was the same it was Actually quite good and decent and enjoyable watch..

To give you some idea of the timescale that covers (since they're listed in order of viewing) I watched Intruder mid-September and TCM2 last week. I myself don't have that much time for films at the minute due to a combination of also watching tv shows (Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead at the minute and ploughing through all seasons of Dexter this year took up a lot of my time - 96 episodes watched means I could have watched about 48 - 60 films), work and trying to make my own short films/video editing freelance work I'm doing. Compared to a lot of the folk on here I watch very little especially as I used to average about one a day!

And yeah, I was really surprised by The Call (although director Brad Anderson has previous form). The sort of film that if you caught it at 11pm on BBC1 you'd be fully engrossed and stick with until the end.

gag 20th November 2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 378886)
To give you some idea of the timescale that covers (since they're listed in order of viewing) I watched Intruder mid-September and TCM2 last week. I myself don't have that much time for films at the minute due to a combination of also watching tv shows (Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead at the minute and ploughing through all seasons of Dexter this year took up a lot of my time - 96 episodes watched means I could have watched about 48 - 60 films), work and trying to make my own short films/video editing freelance work I'm doing. Compared to a lot of the folk on here I watch very little especially as I used to average about one a day!

And yeah, I was really surprised by The Call (although director Brad Anderson has previous form). The sort of film that if you caught it at 11pm on BBC1 you'd be fully engrossed and stick with until the end.

Know what you mean never seen Braeking bad yet, but I've got alsorts on series link, walking dead, sleepy hollow, revolution, as well as some of the stuff I watch like Karl Pilkington moaning of life or the odd tv show, as you see I watch a fair amount of tv and in between letting the wife watch the soaps even tho I don't Actualy mind Corrie but detest Eastenders, saying that tho wife doesn't watch that anymore these days, phew! I'm glad . Problem is there always something to catch upon like you said as in Dexter, it could be a film you recorded or a show, a series you just bought on DVD or boxset so much to watch but so little time to do it In..

Zann 20th November 2013 10:12 AM

Ilsa Tigress of Siberia

Rewatched all of them recently and I find this the most ambitious if not the best in the series. Imaginative novelty deaths, varied locations but same old Ilsa. The DVD looks like crud so I hope we see an English language BD sometime soon.

trebor8273 20th November 2013 10:53 AM

Streets of fire

How have I managed to live without seeing this great film before. It's as cool as the underside of a pillow. Wonderful imagery and set design. Looks like a 40s film noir but with rock and roll characters and neon sign etc, which gives the film a very unique look. We have a great cast who seem to be having immense fun making this film, a fantastic rock sound track and plenty of action and some laughs. Was strange see rick moranis in a role that's is so different from the nice little guy he usual played. A true cult classic and a film that will be getting many more viewings. 10/10

ArgentoFan1987 20th November 2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 378910)
Streets of fire

How have I managed to live without seeing this great film before. It's as cool as the underside of a pillow. Wonderful imagery and set design. Looks like a 40s film noir but with rock and roll characters and neon sign etc, which gives the film a very unique look. We have a great cast who seem to be having immense fun making this film, a fantastic rock sound track and plenty of action and some laughs. Was strange see rick moranis in a role that's is so different from the nice little guy he usual played. A true cult classic and a film that will be getting many more viewings. 10/10

It sounds awesome, but I've never ever heard of it before!

Invid Ninja 20th November 2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 378912)
It sounds awesome, but I've never ever heard of it before!

Very surprised you've never heard of it before; best way to describe Streets Of Fire would be to imagine if Walter Hill was to remake The Searchers as an 80's rock and roll action movie musical that just also happens to be an amalgam of 80's as well as 50's design. I adore it and it might be my favourite Walter Hill film next to Southern Comfort, but it's one of his more divisive works from my experience so your mileage will vary.

trebor8273 20th November 2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 378913)
Very surprised you've never heard of it before; best way to describe Streets Of Fire would be to imagine if Walter Hill was to remake The Searchers as an 80's rock and roll action movie musical that just also happens to be an amalgam of 80's as well as 50's design. I adore it and it might be my favourite Walter Hill film next to Southern Comfort, but it's one of his more divisive works from my experience so your mileage will vary.

I had never heard of it before until it was mentioned here. Another great film recommended that I would of never seen if had not come to this site

Rik 20th November 2013 12:22 PM

NEVER SLEEP AGAIN:THE ELM STREET LEGACY

Excellent 4 hour documentary on what I consider the best Horror franchise from the same team that brought us His Name Was Jason and the more recent Crystal Lake Memories docs.
Each film is discussed from Craven's original, right up to Ronny Yu's Freddy Vs Jason, with plenty of the cast and crew relating their experiences making the films.
Highly recommended for fans of the series

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...fL._AA160_.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th November 2013 02:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My Father's Wife (1976)

When Laura (Carroll Baker) finds out her husband's (Adolfo Celi) lack of sexual interest in her is the result of him cheating on her, Laura takes revenge by starting a sordid affair with her stepson.

Andrea Bianchi's drama isn't the most captivating of films and is really notable only for the number of times Hollywood star Carroll Baker sheds her clothes. A film about relationships and infidelity this is a long way from Bianchi's usual output. Connoisseurs of Italian skin might also like to know that Bianchi favourite Femi Benussi also co-stars and like Baker keeps the film interesting as we lead up to a rather unwelcome climax.

Zann 20th November 2013 05:45 PM

House by the Cemetery BU BD

Always watch it around this time of year...dunno why, perhaps because the Massachusetts scenery could pass for England in late autumn. Whilst not my favourite by a long shot, I find it to be Fulci's most singularly atmospheric film.

trebor8273 20th November 2013 05:49 PM

about to watch heathers, another film that have not seen but heard good things about. hope i enjoy it:pop2:

nosferatu42 20th November 2013 05:55 PM

I really like heathers, good film. Hope you enjoy it.:pop2:

it'smebilly 20th November 2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 378975)
about to watch heathers, another film that have not seen but heard good things about. hope i enjoy it:pop2:

Heathers is a great film. A lot better than the similar mean girls I think.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Laban 20th November 2013 06:47 PM

http://s3.discshop.se/img/front_larg...park_uncut.jpg

http://www.google.se/url?sa=i&source...85063199876537

Dave Boy 20th November 2013 07:50 PM

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/8...5e75daa8b3.jpg

More high adventure for Sinbad.Ray Harryhausen once again provides some fantastic effects. The sword fight with Kali is a major highlight.

trebor8273 20th November 2013 07:56 PM

Heathers

Well that was brilliant best high school / bad girls film I've seen. Great performances from the two leads. Darkly funny and tragically true to life at the same time. We start out liking the character of jd but the more the film goes on the more we find there is something deeply wrong with him and ends up becoming dangerous and disturbing but a excellent performance. Who can't like a film with the line :censored: me slowly with a chainsaw! 9.5/10

Next up motel hell

Buboven 20th November 2013 11:51 PM

Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan (1982)

This is my first viewing of any of the very original Star Trek films. While it has not converted me into a Trekkie it's a solidly made science fiction film and I can appreciate why this is one from the cannon is held in high regard.

Just scrapes a 8/10.

Gold6082 21st November 2013 06:03 AM

Amityville III

I found this very boring & dated,I love Amityville II and most the sequels but I felt III was like watching paintdry,the print was bad and for some reason looked much more dated than Amityville II. I made it to the end but only by a whisker.

INTRUDER

This was the Synapse Blu -Ray of one of my all time favourite slashers,I am sure there was footage in this amazing release not in the AWE or Dragon versions I have previously seen ( I may be wrong) but am convinced there was extra scenes/lengths to scenes anyone confirm?. Amazing picture and sound and as stated an all time fav of mine.

Two Evil Eyes

The Blue Underground Blu-Ray

I enjoy this film immensely 2 hours of great fun & gore,bit grainy in places but overall an upgrade from the DVD versions. Extras are less than on many BU releases but still a respectable amount.

Rik 21st November 2013 09:10 AM

Continuing with the slasher franchise documentary theme; I watched His Name Was Jason:30 Years of Friday the 13th last night.
Not quite as extensive as 1428 Films' Never Sleep Again, but still a great documentary, again with plenty of interesting insights from many of the cast & crew, hosted by one of my favourite people on this planet-Tom Savini.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

And, due in part to my recent watch of Never Sleep Again and Hawk asking about the Elm St BD set; I've just put on Nightmare 1 with the behind the scenes "focal point" feature activated :popcorn:

Rik 21st November 2013 03:13 PM

Berberian Sound Studio- Fourth time watching and I still don't know what the Hell is going on :lol:

Zann 21st November 2013 03:40 PM

Island of Death

Haven't watched this in years and I'm not a huge fan of it. The dialogue, acting and music are all hilarious and/or terrible. Incredible to think it was such a controversial movie not so long ago. Some of the effects are unbelievably bad, eg. on screen a murder weapon is swung or shot....and then we cut to the victim plainly holding said weapon against themselves with some raspberry ripple....or how about the painter that wilfully gulps down emulsion (come on it's milk, full fat milk maybe but milk all the same). And I'm sure for a lot people these things are part of its charm...

By the way, I have the Allstar Pictures DVD from 2002 and remember getting it from a dedicated website at the time....has anyone compared it to the Arrow DVD in terms of PQ? I ask purely out of curiosity, not double dipping :)

Anguish

I love this movie. It's in a league of its own. Pitch perfect.

Bringer Of Funerals 21st November 2013 04:44 PM

El Mariachi

The debut film of Rob Rodriguez and I must say a very well made if low budget film. The characters a more human hence you feel for them more.

The story is a guiltar player wonders into a small Mexican town where it's ran by gangsters and drug dealers and while there he gets mistaken for a bloke who has a guitar case full of guns.

Lots of action and it's all spoken in Spanish but there was one thing I didn't like about it - the dream scenes, what were they all about?

Night Of The Living Dead 3D (2006)

A remake of the 1968 Romero classic starring Sid Haig and a very poor 3D effect. You all know the story so I won't go into it. By God what a pile of shite it turned out to be. Ben is white and it was 75 mins and it felt like 30000 mins.

Sid was the best thing in it and that wasn't saying much. The gore effects were pretty good and the zombie make up was pretty decent but the acting was appalling.

Never Back Down

About a boy (Sean Faris) who moves from school to school because he is always fighting and so he decides to go to a party because he is invited by the girl he fancies (Amber Herd). While there the local bully wants to fight him and rather than say no (or more like they wouldn't allow him to leave) he decides to fight and gets his arse handed to him. That then promps him to learn MMA.

For what it's worth it was a very well made MMA film and a guilty pleasure watch. I have also noticed all the women in the film are bloodthirsty whores. If a lad isn't getting his face smashed in or prepared to fight they don't want to know.

Ali G Indahouse

Ali G is faced with his Youth club centre getting shut down and so he prepares to take a stand against the Government that through some strange goings on gets him noticed by Charles Dance. This then propels him into the MP's House Of Lords and so starts his rather funny job in the house.

It was funny here and there especially when Charles Dance read out the letter Ali had written. Othertimes it's childish but at 1 hr 25 you can't really moan as it is an easy watching film.

gag 21st November 2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold6082 (Post 379114)
Amityville III

I found this very boring & dated,I love Amityville II and most the sequels but I felt III was like watching paintdry,the print was bad and for some reason looked much more dated than Amityville II. I made it to the end but only by a whisker.

INTRUDER

This was the Synapse Blu -Ray of one of my all time favourite slashers,I am sure there was footage in this amazing release not in the AWE or Dragon versions I have previously seen ( I may be wrong) but am convinced there was extra scenes/lengths to scenes anyone confirm?. Amazing picture and sound and as stated an all time fav of mine.

Two Evil Eyes

The Blue Underground Blu-Ray

I enjoy this film immensely 2 hours of great fun & gore,bit grainy in places but overall an upgrade from the DVD versions. Extras are less than on many BU releases but still a respectable amount.

Intruder depends as in what sense do u think scenes are missing ?

If at the end where he stabs him 13 times in the phone box then yes it should be uncut

sjconstable 21st November 2013 07:53 PM

Gravity (2013) - 3/5

Immersive 3D but is completely lacking in substance, I can't believe so many people are hailing it as a masterpiece when all it consists of is one overblown disaster after another and Sandra Bullock talking to the audience and acting unrealistically. Very disappointed with this, my rating is quite generous considering my lack of enjoyment because I try to be objective as well as subjective, and listen here - the much-hated Man of Steel is a better film than Gravity, regardless of my personal enjoyment. ;)

2001: A Space Odyssey and Solaris (1972) are genuine masterpieces of sci-fi, Gravity is just a well-made but empty 3D popcorn thrill-ride (which didn't thrill me all that much unfortunately).

Rondadoronron 21st November 2013 08:01 PM

Paul Naschy

2 Attachment(s)
Its often said that an actor chews the scenery,well in Paul Naschy cases's not only the scenery but the entire cast gets nobbled.And as a hetro male I can still appreciate a manly chest hair,and Mr Naschy has this in spades,whether he's lycanthrop mode or just sexing up the ladies,boy oh boy what a man.

trebor8273 21st November 2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasteropod (Post 379266)
Gravity (2013) - 3/5

Immersive 3D but is completely lacking in substance, I can't believe so many people are hailing it as a masterpiece when all it consists of is one overblown disaster after another and Sandra Bullock talking to the audience and acting unrealistically. Very disappointed with this, my rating is quite generous considering my lack of enjoyment because I try to be objective as well as subjective, and listen here - the much-hated Man of Steel is a better film than Gravity, regardless of my personal enjoyment. ;)

2001: A Space Odyssey and Solaris (1972) are genuine masterpieces of sci-fi, Gravity is just a well-made but empty 3D popcorn thrill-ride (which didn't thrill me all that much unfortunately).

Totally agree on gravity apart from fantastic effects and 3d and set pieces it was average at best.

trebor8273 21st November 2013 08:23 PM

When a stranger calls (1979)

Has to have one of the most frighting beginnings of any film, truly chilling and disturbing, which was used many years later in scream, the end of the movie is also good as well shame it is brought down by a dull and boring middle. Could of been so much more. 7/10 easily a ten if the middle had been better

The godsend
Yawn poor evil child tail, terrible acting and totally unconvincing evil child. 4/10

Robinson Crusoe on mars

Interesting and enjoyable take On the classic story and hell of lot more interesting than Tom hanks talking to a basketball. Ok it's wildly scientifically inaccurate . But it's fun with some great fly saucers stolen from war of the worlds. We also have a small role for Adam west. But the real highlight is Mona a cute little monkey who who steals every scene she's in in, she even has a cute little space suit. A wonderful film which was my first viewing but will have many more 9.5/10

It might be a bit early but watching one of the funniest and best Xmas films Christmas vacation

troggi 21st November 2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 379278)
When a stranger calls (1979)

Has to have one of the most frighting beginnings of any film, truly chilling and disturbing, which was used many years later in scream, the end of the movie is also good as well shame it is brought down by a dull and boring middle. Could of been so much more. 7/10 easily a ten if the middle had been better

The godsend
Yawn poor evil child tail, terrible acting and totally unconvincing evil child. 4/10

Robinson Crusoe on mars

Interesting and enjoyable take On the classic story and hell of lot more interesting than Tom hanks taking to a basketball. Ok it's wildly scientifically inaccurate . But it's fun with some great fly saucers stolen from war of the worlds. We also have a small role for Adam west. But the real highlight is Mona a cute little monkey who who steals every scene she's in in, she even has a cute little space suit. A wonderful film which was my first viewing but will have many more 9.5/10

It might be a bit early but watching one of the funniest and best Xmas films Christmas vacation

Always loved "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" and the sleeve art on that copy is sensational.

Zann 21st November 2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 379278)

Ha ha yeah I got the BD collection too but am saving this treat until it's a bit nipply out :)

Invid Ninja 21st November 2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buboven (Post 379104)
Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan (1982)

This is my first viewing of any of the very original Star Trek films. While it has not converted me into a Trekkie it's a solidly made science fiction film and I can appreciate why this is one from the cannon is held in high regard.

Just scrapes a 8/10.

My favourite Star Trek film is still The Motion Picture since I was around 6. I'm very alone. :loco:

Invid Ninja 21st November 2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasteropod (Post 379266)
Gravity (2013) - 3/5

I will admit to really enjoying Gravity especially on a visual level and as a refreshingly simple thriller. Saying that, it's very much a 'ride' film; I myself would not call it either a 'masterpiece' or shower it with the 5 star praise that others have. Although I think it's a better film from this year than the decent if for me puzzlingly over praised Captain Phillips.

sjconstable 21st November 2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 379299)
I will admit to really enjoying Gravity especially on a visual level and as a refreshingly simple thriller. Saying that, it's very much a 'ride' film; I myself would not call it either a 'masterpiece' or shower it with the 5 star praise that others have. Although I think it's a better film from this year than the decent if for me puzzlingly over praised Captain Phillips.

Yeah I agree with you, and if I'd known going into it that it was just a ride I might have been able to enjoy it a bit more. I can't comment on Captain Phillips though as I didn't fancy it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st November 2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 379203)
Island of Death

By the way, I have the Allstar Pictures DVD from 2002 and remember getting it from a dedicated website at the time....has anyone compared it to the Arrow DVD in terms of PQ? I ask purely out of curiosity, not double dipping :)

The Arrow dvd looks gorgeous. :nod:

troggi 21st November 2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 379288)
Ha ha yeah I got the BD collection too but am saving this treat until it's a bit nipply out :)

I am really looking forward to it being "nipply" out!:pound:

monkeyscreams 21st November 2013 11:29 PM

Michael (Markus Schleinzer 2011)
A man keeps a young boy locked in his basement. That sounds like a horror film, but it is not. It has a naturalistic atmosphere and great character development, the man is someone that could be your neighbour. My first impression was Haneke (the director) meets Misery (the film). The ending is superb. Recommend if you like slow films with a disturbing undertone.