Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Sam 5th June 2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryJack (Post 155703)
Cheers. I'll definately check them both out (bit expensive on Amazon though)

Check your local CEX (or cex.co.uk), they're only £1 each there :nod:

DryJack 5th June 2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 155824)
Check your local CEX (or cex.co.uk), they're only £1 each there :nod:

Cheers. Just ordered Cube 2.

PaulD 5th June 2011 11:20 AM

Watched Lamberto Bava's Macabre last night. I was a little disappointed to be honest, it was good but not as good as I was expecting. Certainly prefer A Blade in the Dark and Demons.

I was going to get very angry at Arrow for their cover spoiling a big reveal but it seems that most of the posters for it seem to do the same thing so I'll let them off the hook :)

PaulD 5th June 2011 01:46 PM

Just watched What Have They Done to Your Daughters. Along with Torso and Night Train Murders this is my favourite Shameless release to date I think. Really fantastic giallo/police thriller with some great tense scenes (especially the one in the parking lot). The long car chase with the killer was also utterly immense. Great soundtrack too! Are other Poliziotteschi films like this?

Gojirosan 5th June 2011 03:24 PM

Just watched John Carpenter's much maligned and badly distributed The Ward.

Perhaps I'm just an apologist fanboy, but I thought it was decent - well made, great setting, good performances, nicely paced. Like a very agreeable Shutter Island-lite.

No Halloween or Assault On Precinct 13, but then far from a Memoirs Of An Invisible Man!

pedromonkey 5th June 2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 155914)
Just watched John Carpenter's much maligned and badly distributed The Ward.

Perhaps I'm just an apologist fanboy, but I thought it was decent - well made, great setting, good performances, nicely paced. Like a very agreeable Shutter Island-lite.

No Halloween or Assault On Precinct 13, but then far from a Memoirs Of An Invisible Man!

i've heard some people say it's pants but it's had quite positive reviews,, but yeah i too am a bit a Carpenter fan boy so i may be a bit biased when i watch it..

Gojirosan 5th June 2011 06:37 PM

In contrast to the pleasant surprise of The Ward, I have just been let down by Irish folk-horror effort Wake Wood.

It's not bad per se - some elements far from it - it's just that it is an unpolished clash of its parts. Some of it is excellent and compelling, other parts amateurish and clumsy. The photography is glorious and moody one minute, then the worst kind of hand-held, sub-Dogme amateur video crap the next. Likewise the three main leads are good yet the little girl (a key part) is awful and a few supporting characters are amateur dramatics level.

I wanted to like this film as the idea and setting are splendid, but it doesn't make it. Worth seeing for the good aspects, but highly flawed as a whole. A shame.

bdc 5th June 2011 06:59 PM

Just watched Corman's The Viking Women and the Sea Serpent (1957).
Very low budget peplum adventure from AIP...I'd say it's instantly forgettable.
It has a certain charm though and luckily stars Susan Cabot (probably the best thing about this film).
There's some nice matte paintings and the "sea serpent" is ok I guess but expect some terrible background projection scenes when they are at sea (thank goodness most of the movie plays on land! ;) ).
And don't get me started about the long ship used! :loco:

YouTube - ‪Viking Women and the Sea Serpent (1957) - Trailer‬‏

nekromantik 5th June 2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 155952)
In contrast to the pleasant surprise of The Ward, I have just been let down by Irish folk-horror effort Wake Wood.

It's not bad per se - some elements far from it - it's just that it is an unpolished clash of its parts. Some of it is excellent and compelling, other parts amateurish and clumsy. The photography is glorious and moody one minute, then the worst kind of hand-held, sub-Dogme amateur video crap the next. Likewise the three main leads are good yet the little girl (a key part) is awful and a few supporting characters are amateur dramatics level.

I wanted to like this film as the idea and setting are splendid, but it doesn't make it. Worth seeing for the good aspects, but highly flawed as a whole. A shame.

i think the opposite :lol:
was disappointed by ward and loved WW

Argentofan 5th June 2011 09:27 PM

30th anniversary of NOTLD. It was amazing......ly shit.:lol: