Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th December 2012, 05:00 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
But that's just kinda my problem, Music in the current argument is Animation.
By that logic, Dubstep is the musical equivelant of Cartoons, while Prog Rock could be considered the musical equivelant Anime. There two seprate genre's IMHO, though there to broad to be considered meagre genre's.
It doesn't matter if its prog, trance, rn'b, its all still music.
Old 6th December 2012, 05:01 PM
Cultist

I use music and horror because I know nothing about anime to me they're reasonable equivalents, but you might disagree.

I think we'll all just have to agree to disagree on this one... you can find huge differences in view across most categorisations no matter how micro you go. there are as many people that will tell you that Japanese and Italian horror are completely different as there are people that will tell you that Fulci and Argento are completely different, as there are will tell you that Argento's early and later efforts are completely different, as there are will tell you that Fulci's giallo and zombie films are completely different, it all tends to go a bit circular when people start arguing their own views over someone else's

I'm off for a lie down, my brain hurts
Old 6th December 2012, 05:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Fair doess, but I know many who would no consider The Haunting to not be Horror (ie, induces a feeling of horror) and is instead a supernatural thriller (ie, spooky but not overtly horrific). This make's it a completely different kettle of fish but is once again subjective, like the rest of the argument. We could argue about this until the end of time, there is NO deffinitive deffinition.
Actually The Haunting is horror.

Zombie Holocaust would be classed as terror.
Old 6th December 2012, 05:05 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Fair doess, but I know many who would no consider The Haunting to not be Horror (ie, induces a feeling of horror) and is instead a supernatural thriller (ie, spooky but not overtly horrific). This make's it a completely different kettle of fish but is once again subjective, like the rest of the argument. We could argue about this until the end of time, there is NO deffinitive deffinition.
Well then replace The Haunting with any high quality horror film - Suspiria or The Wicker Man or Repulsion or whatever. My point remains.

And there is a definitive definition. It is in the dictionary. That is why there are dictionaries.
Old 6th December 2012, 05:06 PM
Cult Master

Sorry to be a party pooper but

download.jpg

Watched this classic again last night. The more i watch this film the more i fall in love with it. Casablanca from start to finish is a masterpiece and has entered my short list of perfect films.
Old 6th December 2012, 05:09 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Well then replace The Haunting with any high quality horror film - Suspiria or The Wicker Man or Repulsion or whatever. My point remains.
Your not seeing my point, if you are I don't think your conveying it very well.
Some people wont consider The Haunting horror because it's not horrific, it doesn't induce terror in the masses. The Wicker Man can also be placed in said catagory, Supernatural Thriller. Suspiria does contain seen's of horrific act's though very stylishly executed. There are deffinit differences and it's all down to personal opinion.
Old 6th December 2012, 05:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Here's looking at you, kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
Sorry to be a party pooper but

Attachment 93181

Watched this classic again last night. The more i watch this film the more i fall in love with it. Casablanca from start to finish is a masterpiece and has entered my short list of perfect films.
Here's looking at you, kid

Here's looking at you, kid - YouTube

sawyer6 and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 6th December 2012, 05:13 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Your not seeing my point, if you are I don't think your conveying it very well.
Some people wont consider The Haunting horror because it's not horrific, it doesn't induce terror in the masses. The Wicker Man can also be placed in said catagory, Supernatural Thriller. Suspiria does contain seen's of horrific act's though very stylishly executed. There are deffinit differences and it's all down to personal opinion.
So what?

Horror may be open to debate and affected by personal view. But the definition of "cartoon" is concrete and unquestionable.

A cartoon is not a vague genre term, it is a word describing how something is executed: an animated motion picture.

You sidetracking into the nature of "horror" is irrelevant to the point.

Cartoon is not like horror. I used horror as I thought it was a simple example of how differing artistic quality doesn't change the nature of things.

Seriously, just look up cartoon. The definition of its various meanings are there to be seen freely by all.

Anime films are cartoons. That's not open to interpretation, it is an empirical fact. It cannot be denied or argued.

And thus, there is no more to say.
Old 6th December 2012, 05:20 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicDakin View Post
Here's looking at you, kid

Here's looking at you, kid - YouTube

VicDakin and sawyer6 like this.
Old 6th December 2012, 05:21 PM
Cult Addict

No, now this is where i'm getting exhasperated NOTHING is concrete is classification, as a Biologist I know this all to bloody well! Style's of film making shift and change, so to must the vast back catalogue of movie's made over the last 100+ years.

Like this? Share it using the links below!