Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179840Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th December 2012, 12:15 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched Repo Man for the first time tonight, loved it. Starts out as something normal and interesting with a weird side plot and ends up as something totally different.
Old 30th December 2012, 07:31 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Watched Repo Man for the first time tonight, loved it. Starts out as something normal and interesting with a weird side plot and ends up as something totally different.
I love it personally, one of my favourite films and still the best thing alex cox ever made imo.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 30th December 2012, 08:42 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
Tonights film (excluding the last 15 or minutes or so of Love Actually) was Jack Reacher which turned out to be an enjoyable diversion from the festive feasting. I haven't read any of Lee Child's novels so can't comment on how accurate a recreation of the source material it is, but Cruise did o.k. Based on this I will look out for the sequels when (and if) they appear.

May try to see Argo on Monday if its still showing.
I might go and see Jack Reacher today. Like you, I haven't read any of the books so will be able to watch it with a completely open mind.

You should really enjoy Argo as it's one of the best films of the year and easily Ben Affleck's finest work as a director and lead actor (separately and together) in his career.
SShaw likes this.
Old 30th December 2012, 09:17 AM
Active Cultist

I spent a great 3 hours last night with the Criterion blu of Sam Fuller's Shock Corridor. The movie has an edgy, in your face rawness about it, you literally don't know whats coming your way from scene to scene. The depiction of mental illness might irk some but not me, I couldn't wait to meet the next 'loony'. My favourite was the intense performance by Hari Rhodes as the black guy who thinks he's a Klu Klux Klan wizard - scathing social comment here behind the weirdness. Fuller has a great eye for the memorable image as well, so there's visuals to go with the polemic - all in all, a winner. Even better though, is the one hour doc that is in the extras, which covers Fullers life and career. There's Tarantino gushing away as he rifles through Fullers memorabilia, the touching sight of the frail (but still feisty as hell) director clutching Tim Robbins hand during the interviews, war footage that Fuller shot, including the liberation of a concentration camp. Amazing life he had and this doc (and the interview with Constance Towers, who's uber sexy in this film and still looking good 50 years on) makes this release a must have.
Old 30th December 2012, 09:21 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched The Hunters (Jagarna) last night - a seriously good Swedish thriller. A cop comes home and investigates poaching, only to find that things are much worse. Opening was a bit grisly with the slaughter of deer. Arrow have really got to do something about their QC though - words in the subtitles were joined together on a few occasions.
Old 30th December 2012, 10:35 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default What films have you seen recently

had a Fulci 3some,Tango and Cash has some strange casting,Byron James as a mockney and Edward Bunker as police capt,who did he shive in the showers to get that gig I wonder.Watched Memento but can't remember.Then i finished myself of with Videodrome,mmmmmm nakid Debbie Harry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zfe-dvd-hr.jpg (102.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Tango and Cash.jpg (98.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg memento.jpg (28.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg FCD433_City_OTLD_BR.jpg (97.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20121229-143829WCP.jpg (46.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 10653933-1353085886-861968.jpg (73.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 30th December 2012, 11:37 AM
Cult Addict

EVIL DEAD II. I caught this on telly last night and was pleasantly surprised that my last evaluation of it hasn't changed...it's bloody awful, not unlike the World Gurning Championships with blood. Still, at least its not the third one...
Old 30th December 2012, 12:14 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
EVIL DEAD II. I caught this on telly last night and was pleasantly surprised that my last evaluation of it hasn't changed...it's bloody awful, not unlike the World Gurning Championships with blood. Still, at least its not the third one...
Old 30th December 2012, 12:20 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Agreed, a pain in the arse of a film, I hated Drag Me To Hell too - I prefer my horror neat, without all this 3 stooges schtick. Only Henenlotter has mastered the art of the gore comedy.

and early Peter Jackson of course!

and Return of the Living Deads pretty good
Old 30th December 2012, 01:14 PM
Cult Master

Todays pile consists of these

images.jpg

images (2).jpg

images (3).jpg

images (1).jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!