All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179690Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:03 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
"Sir Henry at Rawlinson End"

Where should I start? Oh, all righty, DO NOT WATCH THIS FILM IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED!!! Is that clear enough? Jolly good.

I loved this film when I first saw it in the dim and distant past when you had to leave your seat to turn the television on, off, over, up or down (only exercise some buggers got but it kept the obesity levels down). Like me it's showin' it's age now but it is still an enjoyable, surreal, sepia-toned glimpse at a world that never was, except in the head of the late, great Vivian Stanshall.

This kind of film is a thing of the past, it should be assessed by experts on the "Antiques Roadshow" along with other examples of British film-making at it's weirdly best; "If", "The Ruling Class", "The Magic Christian", "Britannia Hospital", "A Clockwork Orange", "The Final Program".

Definitely NOT for the Politically Correct!

You have been warned!
There is a good commentary with this one, pointing out a LOT of things that are happening in the background of scenes
Demoncrat and troggi like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

From 1935:
Legong: Dance of the Virgins One of the last silent pictures produced in the 30's. It was interesting.
Triumph of the Will Fascinating slice of history!
Becky Sharp Frankly boring!
Les Misérables Not the best adaptation I've seen but Charles Laughton is easily one of the best actors of the decade!

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post339149
Demoncrat and sawyer6 like this.
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:24 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
"Sir Henry at Rawlinson End"

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]Where should I start? Oh, all righty, DO NOT WATCH THIS FILM IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED!!! Is that clear enough? Jolly good.

I loved this film when I first saw it in the dim and distant past when you had to leave your seat to turn the television on, off, over, up or down (only exercise some buggers got but it kept the obesity levels down).
I remembe when I were a wee lad having a telly you couldn't change the channel on. That was done via a dial on the wall, in the other room at one point. Redifusion that were called.

Last edited by J Harker; 3rd May 2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 3rd May 2013, 06:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
There is a good commentary with this one, pointing out a LOT of things that are happening in the background of scenes
Thank you Suzi. I just wanted to warn folk that it "hails from a different era" that, although not distant in time, is a million miles away ethically, morally and politically and not to be afraid to laugh if they find it funny, like I do!
Demoncrat and Susan Foreman like this.

Monster Magnet

Last edited by troggi; 3rd May 2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 3rd May 2013, 07:05 AM
Cult Addict

IP MAN: Excellent Kung fu biopic, possibly the best martial arts film i've seen in quite a while. Donnie yen is fantastic.

SIGHTSEERS: Genius black comedy from the director of KILL LIST. Really darkly funny. Strangely it had me yearning to get a driver's liscence and get a camper van, (not a caravan mind, their a bloody hazard!) always enjoyed touring the uk.

BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA: Classic carpenter riff on kung fu movies with Kurt Russell as the greenhorn in way over his head (and doing a great john wayne impersonation in the process) Fantastic movie that still holds up well to this day. Interesting to see Kim cattrall before she looked like a handbag.
Old 3rd May 2013, 09:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I watched Big Trouble too on Tuesday, one of my favourite childhood films, I can pretty much quote it verbatim.
Checked out the Zombieland pilot last night, it's not actually that bad, quite funny actually, yeah it's not a patch on the film, but it was never gonna be
keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 3rd May 2013, 04:09 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I watched Big Trouble too on Tuesday, one of my favourite childhood films, I can pretty much quote it verbatim.
Checked out the Zombieland pilot last night, it's not actually that bad, quite funny actually, yeah it's not a patch on the film, but it was never gonna be
I'm with you on this one Rik, I thought the Zombieland pilot was quite funny, and certainly enjoyable. I'd like to see more and see where it goes
Rik likes this.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 3rd May 2013, 04:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Sweeney,

I went into this open minded and didn't compare it to the tv show personally I thought it was terrible didn't rate it at all, when something was happening it just come across as dull and boring, love ray winston as actor but for some reason felt like he wasn't playing the part seriously thought he was terrible and bit uptight in the role, and was pretty bad acting in this, felt it didnt have any edge to it and something was missing but not sure what, thumbs down on this one for me even if it was just a film on it own rights and not based off anything.
Old 3rd May 2013, 05:14 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Same here thought it was good, now this is the type of film where you are quite happy with the remake, if only remakes where as good as this,
Agreed watched it last night actually surprised myself, really enjoyed it .. conclusion i'm a bit of a movie snob as i refused to go with my boy to see it in the cinema as Karate Kid was a fave when i was young and i didn't want it ruined
Old 3rd May 2013, 09:46 PM
Cult Addict

Saw it. REALLY enjoyed it. Hilarious twist with The Manderin, clever integration of multiple sources, depth to action sequences. Top dollar. A pop corn film with a bit more brains (just a few cells). Go out and watch it. Oh, and I too enjoyed the suit jumps. It's fan wankery and it does it's job.

So! When do we get Deaths Head in a Marvel movie?

DVD and BD collection

Like this? Share it using the links below!