Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180250Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th May 2013, 06:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Maniac remake, at first I thought Elijah woods was a strange choice but proved me wrong I Actualy thought he played the part quite well, another remake that's a joy to watch but then again I'm no fan of the original.
Old 4th May 2013, 07:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Maniac remake, at first I thought Elijah woods was a strange choice but proved me wrong I Actualy thought he played the part quite well, another remake that's a joy to watch but then again I'm no fan of the original.
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it too, and I am a fan of the original
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 5th May 2013, 05:20 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it too, and I am a fan of the original
Yeah, me too. I've just finished watching this and thought it was excellent.
Old 5th May 2013, 08:24 AM
Cult Master

'Hospital Massacre' (aka 'X-Ray')

Is this how the actual trailer ran at the time, or has the music been put on after the event?

keirarts and Hawkmonger like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 5th May 2013, 08:34 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post

might give this a go then if its getting some recommendations here.

I watched Drive last night and really enjoyed it, although the soundtrack may have helped seeing it was like something straight out of the 1980's. Just got to hunt down the elusive steelbook now which wont be cheap.
Old 5th May 2013, 08:34 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Iron Man 3 at the cinema. I found this movie to be very flat and it didn't really engage me. I have not seen the two previous installments, and based on this entry I see no real reason to seek them out.
Old 5th May 2013, 08:38 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
Iron Man 3 at the cinema. I found this movie to be very flat and it didn't really engage me. I have not seen the two previous installments, and based on this entry I see no real reason to seek them out.
I wouldn't waste your time. I haven't seen the third installment, but found the previous two entries to be very bland and generic. I don't get the love for these films at all.
sawyer6 likes this.
Old 5th May 2013, 08:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
The Lords of Salem (2012)

As one of horror's new generation of directors, Rob Zombie's films, along with those directed by Adam Green and Eli Roth, will always divide opinion and come under heavy scrutiny among horror fans. Personally i love House of 1000 Corpses and its sequel The Devils' Rejects. Halloween i liked, especially its opening hour, however i found H2 to be a huige disappointment.

So where would Zombie go from here? The Lords of Salem is the answer. A film unlike anything that came before it from the former White Zombie frontman.

One of the main questions i had was whether its star, Zombie's wife, and a regular in all his movies, Sherri Moon Zombie could make the step up from support player to leading lady. Thankfully the answer is a resounding yes. Moon makes the transition with ease and gives a measured, mature performance at the centre of the film as Heidi, one of a trio of local, late night rock dj's. Heidi takes home an odd looking record, sent to the station which when played sends out the message that "The Lords are coming" and seems to trigger halucinations of Salem's violent past. From here Rob Zombie takes the film in a direction reminiscent of Rosemary's Baby and The Sentinel as it becomes increasingly likely that Heidi is an innocent soon to be at the heart of something evil.

The Lords of Salem is a film unlike anything the director had previously put his name to. Gone are the heavy handed gore and shock tactics. The film builds at a slow, intriguing pace, heavy on atmosphere, partially created by the cool yellow hue Zombie gives his night time scenes. As previously mentioned the gore is practically non-existant which to me makes the story more believable and allows it to breathe without the viewer waiting for the next bloody kill, therefore allowing the feeling of impending dread to build significantly. I suppose if i was to compare Lords to anything then Ti West's The House of the Devil would be an obvious choice. Naturally Rob can't resist the wierd and wonderful for the entire film. He adds flourishes of colour to The Lords of Salem in spades in the form of flashbacks to the 1692 witch trials and the alleged horrors that built up to them in the form of nightmarish scenarios that may or may not be Heid's dreams.

Rob Zombie gives a lot of screen time to veteran actresses Judy Geeson, Dee Wallace and Patricia Quinn who Hammer fans may remember as a witch in the Hammer House of Horrors episode Witching Time. The three all revel n their roles and its wonderful to see them seemingly having so much fun in meaty, integral roles in a genre film.

In The Lords of Salem Rob Zombie takes his film making in an adventurous, bold new direction and i hope it goes down as well with the horror community as it did with me.
Watched it last night, and really enjoyed it, shame the DVD has no extras
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 5th May 2013, 09:38 AM
Cult Rookie

Seen Iron Man 3 at the cinema yesterday, i personally loved it , great fun very light hearted and some pretty decent laugh out loud moments thrown in too, loved Ben Kingsley he played his role brilliantly, yep the film heads down the farcical lane quite a bit which is probably why some purists are a bit peeved but my 14 yr old boy thought it was brilliant, quoting him " well better than Avengers Assemble and TDKR" << money well spent imo
Hawkmonger likes this.
Old 5th May 2013, 10:44 AM
Cult Acolyte

Basic Instinct - last night on ITV

Like this? Share it using the links below!