Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179839Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd July 2013, 02:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Plus a load of shite sequels and a half baked tv series.
And like 3 or 4 versions of one of the shittiest cop outs of a second film of all time
troggi likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 3rd July 2013, 02:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

In light of the recent discussion and hint at Arrow releasing The People Under The Stairs, I dug a VHS out and watched for the first time and...

What.

I definitely enjoyed, but it was like it had no idea what it wanted to be. It started out all weird like your typical ghetto story, then tried to play a serious horror, then became Mommie Dearest with that guy from Twin Peaks running around in a gimp suit with a shotgun (which was awesome by the way), then started seeming like a mega repetitive kid movies with riches and the happy ending, and it went on and on and on. At one point I thought I was watching an uber demented version of Mouse Hunt.

It was certainly a fun and interesting, but by far NOT Wes Cravens best work, or a horror classic. And if that is one of the best 90's horrors, it confirms my suspicions that 90's horror is as shit as I remember it being.

Old 3rd July 2013, 02:26 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
In light of the recent discussion and hint at Arrow releasing The People Under The Stairs, I dug a VHS out and watched for the first time and...

What.

I definitely enjoyed, but it was like it had no idea what it wanted to be. It started out all weird like your typical ghetto story, then tried to play a serious horror, then became Mommie Dearest with that guy from Twin Peaks running around in a gimp suit with a shotgun (which was awesome by the way), then started seeming like a mega repetitive kid movies with riches and the happy ending, and it went on and on and on. At one point I thought I was watching an uber demented version of Mouse Hunt.
You've just described exactly why I like it so much.
fuzzymctiger and troggi like this.
Old 3rd July 2013, 02:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
You've just described exactly why I like it so much.
It certainly is oddball fun isn't it?

But from how much everyone was talking it up, I was expecting a serious horror movie!

But I still can get over the guy from Twin Peaks running around in that gimp suit shooting holes in the walls
troggi likes this.

Old 3rd July 2013, 02:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

And me
fuzzymctiger and troggi like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 3rd July 2013, 02:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
And me
Sounds like Arrow stand to make a lot of money off this one if they have it
troggi likes this.

Old 3rd July 2013, 02:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
IThe People Under The Stairs

My thoughts exactly.
Old 3rd July 2013, 02:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
And me
Could the Arrow plant please leave the building.
Rik and troggi like this.
Old 3rd July 2013, 03:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Last nights viewing along with pilot episodes of Star Trek TNG and enterprise, had spider baby for a week should really get around to watching it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (93.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 3rd July 2013, 03:13 PM
Cult Addict

World War Z.

Given the bad press its been getting i'd held off seeing this. Since I had some money off VUE vouchers in my pocket however I decided to throw caution to the wind and at least give the film a try. Glad I did, because while its certainly no classic its not as bad as some have made out either. Its more a glossy, middle of the road hollywood take on the Zombie picture riding the name of the source material rather than trying any real adaptation of the material.

When I heard they were making this I had hoped for something along the lines of Contagion, Traffic or Babel with various stories from around the globe combining to tell the story of a worldwide zombie pandemic. I have no idea about what happened behind the scenes when they were making it, all I know is there were troubles and some significant re-shoots. I did fear the worst when I heard Damon Lindoff was being brought in to 'fix' the movie. I still consider Lindoff to be the Emperorers new clothes when it comes to script writing, I came to this conclusion after seeing the final series of LOST and realisng there was no overall meaning to the series that could be deduced from careful intelligent viewing. It was just a bunch of random shit he threw at the page in an attempt to baffle the audience and mask his stupidity. Nothing he has done since has pursuaded me that this isn't the case. Lets face it, at best Prometheus ( a film I liked in spite of itself) was more a Galaxy of terror than an Alien. Writers like Lindoff remind me of the talentless hacks that try to copy LYNCH or JODOROWSKY in an attempt to be hip without any real understanding of what these artists are trying to achieve.. So as you can imagine I was none to impressed to hear he'd come on board.

Ultimately the finished product feels like a 'what could have been' type of film. I couldent help watching it and wondering what might have happened if they had given the film to a director like Soderbergh and kept a distinct vision of what the film should be.

What we are left with is shallow and compromised, but its not unwatchable. It globetrots with Pitts character from one exotic set piece to another and for the most part the set pieces in question are actually quite fun. The final act in wales simply feels like the cheapest ending they could have made after blowing too much money on wasted footage. It could have been livened up somewhat if they had let Peter Capaldi channel Malcom Tucker for his character!

What I would like to see is a dvd/blu release with all the missing footage. I don't believe for one second there is a better film there, but I'd like to see what was so bad they were forced to cut it and start again from scratch. I'd also like to see everyone involved sit down and detail exactly what happened with the film, all the bad decisions and mistakes and maybe Hollywood and the audience might learn a thing or too. Somehow I doubt we'll see it though.

As a P.S

Actually managed to see the THIRD beserk film the other night. Its bloody impressive like the last two and a definate must buy. But i'm keeping one eye on the BBFC site fully expecting the UK release to get cut. Its pretty nasty and has a highly sexualised rape scene.
troggi likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!