All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st May 2014, 11:58 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears - 8.5/10

Improves upon the shortcomings of Amer, I enjoyed spotting all of the references, and the cheeky end credits music was the theme from All the Colours of the Dark I was ready to watch the film again as soon as it had finished.

Amusingly, the only other person in the screen with me was an elderly lady! Either she's a very adventurous viewer, or totally didn't know what kind of film she was in for
I'm not familiar with this film but from comments made I'm guessing its not having very widespread screenings?
Just noticed that it's available to rent or buy from the Playstation store for those that have a PS3.
There's also a 99p rental section on there at the moment that seems to be largely exploitation type stuff but it's got quite a few troma titles which when clicked on are actually available to purchase to at the same price of 99p. The Toxic Avenger films are all there plus I noticed Blood Sucking Freaks. Granted they're only SD but at 99p I figured they're worth a look to anyone considering picking up the blu's but are a bit dubious of blind buys.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Last edited by J Harker; 1st May 2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 1st May 2014, 12:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Car (Elliot Silverstein, 1977) (Arrow blu)

More from my mate's haul. Have never seen this look better really. Yes, tis clunky, but the titular vehicle is still quite scary imo. RG Armstrong plays the uptight asshole with more conviction than anyone imo.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st May 2014, 03:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I'm not familiar with this film but from comments made I'm guessing its not having very widespread screenings?
Just noticed that it's available to rent or buy from the Playstation store for those that have a PS3.
There's also a 99p rental section on there at the moment that seems to be largely exploitation type stuff but it's got quite a few troma titles which when clicked on are actually available to purchase to at the same price of 99p. The Toxic Avenger films are all there plus I noticed Blood Sucking Freaks. Granted they're only SD but at 99p I figured they're worth a look to anyone considering picking up the blu's but are a bit dubious of blind buys.
Oh really, last time I had a look at rentals on the PS3 they were stupidly expensive. I actually rented The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears on YouTube the other night as I really wanted to watch it again, so there are plenty of options for people to check it out (incl. Google Play and Amazon Instant).
Old 1st May 2014, 03:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The Silent Partner

Excellent Thriller with the unoriginal decapitated bonce in the fish tank trick! Evil Santa HO HO HO-lds up a bank only the bank teller is a greedy bastard as well & short changes the thief & takes a cut himself only to regret it. You'll be Checking your Robertsons Jam & doors!

Brimstone & Treacle

DenHolm Elliot is conned by Sting that they have met before,His message in a bottle is a rather sinister one. Joan Plowright thinks the sun shines out of his Backside even though his activities include singing crap 50's war songs & squeezing her brain damaged daughters tits at 3am. Pointless boring exercise with Stings overuse of "sir " and "mummsy" enough to drive a saint to shoot himself.

Silent Madness

with the cover of a psycho with an axe looming over a victim with an ambulance in the woods for a background I thought ...ohhh this looks a cool 80's horror.

It was not a bad film but it wasn't up to the expected standard & other than an axe used on a window that never even had any significance,this bloodless film revolves around a cock up with 2 mental Patients with the same name only back to front getting mixed up with the dangerous one getting let out over the cured one. A Female doctor searches for him for 90 boring dran out minutes which is basically an omnibus edition of shortland street.
Old 1st May 2014, 03:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Cabin Fever 3 -

Hatchet 3 - just like the reviews said...better than the first sequel but not a patch on the original. Gory and often hilarious. Hope Kane Hodder gets the opportunity to participate in Hatchet 4 and equal his Friday the 13th character roles. Good fun this
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 1st May 2014, 04:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Cabin Fever 3 -

Hatchet 3 - just like the reviews said...better than the first sequel but not a patch on the original. Gory and often hilarious. Hope Kane Hodder gets the opportunity to participate in Hatchet 4 and equal his Friday the 13th character roles. Good fun this
Cabin Fever 3 was diabolical.
Old 1st May 2014, 05:45 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
Oh really, last time I had a look at rentals on the PS3 they were stupidly expensive. I actually rented The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears on YouTube the other night as I really wanted to watch it again, so there are plenty of options for people to check it out (incl. Google Play and Amazon Instant).
Fair dinkum mate. Not a film I knew anything about, just remembered someone posting the other day they'd had a hour and a half train ride just to see it. Thought it was worth mentioning.
Yeah by and large the rentals are expensive well compared to the price of a netflix subscription anyway but the 99p section is worth a look particularly as they're the same price to buy. For someone like me who curious about films like Blood Sucking Freaks but doesn't want to spend 10-15 squid finding out if it's crap it's worth a dig in the whiskers.
keirarts likes this.

Last edited by J Harker; 1st May 2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 1st May 2014, 07:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Some brief notes on recent festival visits (my last day at Imagine and Dead by Dawn):

Zero Charisma - great little movie set in the world of role-play gaming.

Ragnorak - Rather good Norwegian adventure film which mixes up Norse mythology and a lot of references to Speilberg's films.

Babadook - very effective Australian pyscho-thriller exploring the relationship between a mother and her young son as she undergoes a breakdown.

Moebius - bizarre south Korean craziness that follows a man and his son after the son is castrated by his fathers girlfriend. Completely dialogue free this is both uncomfortable and odd.

Mr Sardonicus - following the previous nights House on Haunted Hill dead by dawns celebration of the Castle centenary continued with this marvel.

Les Gouffres - disappointing French psychological drama as yet another woman has a nervous breakdown after her husband disappears while exploring South American sinkholes.

Greatful Dead - Interesting Japanese stalker film.

Friday the 13th - a genre classic (and I notice June 13th 2014 is a Friday - so perhaps a rewatch on Bluray next month is required).

13 Sins - excellent English language remake.

Killer Legends - disappointing documentary from the makers of the much better Cropsey which looks at some of the urban legend origins of classic horror films.

Dead Banging (aka Metalca) - Zombie rock. Great fun.

Chocolate, Strawberry, Vanilla - lonely icecream vendor undergoes a mental breakdown. One of my highlights from dead by dawn.

Lesson of Evil - quite brilliant pyscho killer school massacre from the great Miike.

Twilight Zone - advertised as a classic. I had forgotten just how dull the movie is.

Housebound - brilliant horror comedy from New Zealand. My pick as best of Dead by Dawn 2014 and as it won the audience prize I guess I'm not alone.

Oculus - effective haunted mirror story developed from the short (which was previously shown at the festival).

Since returning from the U.K. I also found time to watch the excellent Street Law, Spike Lee's disappointing remake of Oldboy which seems to have lost all of the anger of the original and recent U.K. sci-fi in the form of The Machine and the Coen brothers latest Inside LLewyn Lewis.

Last edited by SShaw; 2nd May 2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 1st May 2014, 09:25 PM
Cult Addict

The awful Dr. Orlof.

This early 1962 effort from Jess Franco has Howard Vernon as the Titular Dr. Stalking the streets at night with his blind, vampiric henchman stalking sexy women so he can steal their faces to graft onto his daughter.

Franco borrows the visual style of classic british gothic as well as a certain amount of German expressionism. Thrown into the mix is the obvious plot theft of eyes without a face, an idea he would return to with films such as faceless.

Orlof is a great little gothic horror and a great jumping in point for anyone curious about his films. It's possibly his most accessible work and as with a lot of his horror output he can turn out a genuinely atmospheric horror movie when he's on form.

The redemption blu-ray is region free. As they don't really restore stuff there is plenty of print damage evident but for me that adds to the charm, certainly with Jess Franco films at least. Its also the full strength uncut print as well which is nice.
Old 2nd May 2014, 12:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Martin - I managed to set aside enough time to watch both version of the film and then the commentary track, after three watches i think i would argue Martin is a guy with some Mental disorder rather than a vampire. It has Romero written all over it so i enjoyed the film a lot. I didn't expect the ending to be what it was or to happen when it did,also in the commentary i wasn't surprised to hear Tom Savini didn't like the continuity error with the steak but the crew were all quite young at this point.

Finally it was a nice set up again from Arrow they really do put in the sort of effort any of us guys would for any film we are fanatical about which is primarily why i like Arrow releases so much.

Thanks again to Bringer of funerals for sending me this title, it's brilliant.

Also i have been trying to get into a film recommended by Gag (i think) i lost the tread so i can't reference the right cultist but it's called The Bell from Hell - they guys were discussing VHS releases i think and this came up, it is free to watch on youtube if you look for it so that was a bonus and not a bad film but for some reason i'm not able to sit through it for very log without getting distracted. Eventually i will get the whole thing watched and offer a constructive opinion but it would be nice to hear if anyone else has any opinions on it. The VHS is currently on Feebay for £20.

Like this? Share it using the links below!