All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179840Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th June 2023, 09:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Tango & Cash (1989)

Sylvester Stallone and Kurt Russell star in this hugely enjoyable buddy cop movie in which they are two mismatched officers from different LA precincts framed by a crime lord and sent to prison and are forced to work together to clear their names.

Perhaps against type Stallone plays the extremely well dressed, highly educated cop whilst Russell plays the long haired brash sweary guy. Meanwhile Jack Palance does his best with a paper thin role as the villain of the piece, hamming it up to the point of practically twirling a non-existent moustache and sneering "I'll get you Pene...Tango and Cash".

There's some great comedy lines and witty exchanges throughout and some well staged action set pieces. Stallone and Russell work well off each other making this a superior slice of eighties hokum as classic AOR rocker Best of What i Got by Bad English plays as the credits roll.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tango_and_cash.jpg (20.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 30th June 2023, 10:35 PM
Cult Addict

I keep meaning to pick up the Stallone bluray Collection from Warner with Tango & Cash. I mainly want it for T&C and Cobra although I'll take Demolition Man happily enough.
Funny enough I've watched Sly in action myself tonight.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 1st July 2023, 02:37 AM
Cultist

but have you noticed the end credits they have the song called don't go by yazoo but they got it down as yazz.
Old 1st July 2023, 08:07 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Arachnophobia. 1990.

Jeff Daniels stars as the new doctor in town that has a fear of spiders and a new species of Arachnoid has found its way and begins bumping off a few townsfolk. John Goodman stars as the tough town exterminator who fears very little especially standing on a spider and walking away like a big man. Julian Sands plays the arachnologist who finds a new species in South America but comes across a entirely new species in the small town. No matter how many times i watch this one i still cringe and squirm, sometimes you think something is crawling over you. Respect to the makers on using real spiders and taking concern for their safety but I'm sure a lot of people will still pick up a newspaper and not think twice about whacking a spider. There is some good comical moments and sarcastic comments put in then it jumps again to a suspenseful cringeworthy movie.

0d82e98e-ad43-4270-a22f-c17f37d1a5b9 (1).jpg
Old 1st July 2023, 11:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Neptune Factor. 1973.

After a underwater earthquake, a research facility Sealab breaks from its support and falls into a trench. Ben Gazzara leads a small crew in a sub to find the lab and rescue any survivors. This had a decent star cast with Ernest Borgnine, Walter Pidgeon, Yvette Mimieux. The creators sought out marine biologists to get plenty of info on the sea and fish, yet with a low budget and laughable visual effects, this film became boring, the actors tried their best for creating tension but the pacing was all wrong for it to be entertaining.

MV5BNGYxNTFlMzAtMTJjOC00MmNhLWExMjgtM2NjNjM3Yjc4YjMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQzNDI3NzY@._V1_.jpg
Old 1st July 2023, 01:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I keep meaning to pick up the Stallone bluray Collection from Warner with Tango & Cash. I mainly want it for T&C and Cobra although I'll take Demolition Man happily enough.
Funny enough I've watched Sly in action myself tonight.
That's the one i have. Seen Tango and Cobra so far. Both look great image wise.

Picked it up for around a tenner from Amazon last year.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 1st July 2023, 01:55 PM
Cult Addict

The Expendables 2. Simon West. 2012.

Barney Ross and his team are sent into the former Soviet Union to retrieve a mysterious case from a downed aircraft.
Thinking their mission a success they are suddenly ambushed by nasty Euro-baddie Vilain. Taking losses the relatively straightforward mission becomes a quest of vengeance.
When I last watched this first sequel to Sly's hit ensemble actioner, I was disappointed. My opinion has gone up quite a bit, however I still feel its the weakest of the Expendables movies so far.
I just find the film so tonally uneven and frustrating. At times dark and dramatic it constantly veers off into misjudged in-jokes and referential humour that make it feel like a parody of the genre and don't even get me started on poor Chuck Norris' scenes. The action sequences are undeniably excellent, though Jet Li's quick exit is disappointing. Van Damme makes for a nasty sneering badguy, although when it comes down to it he didn't seem all that. I enjoyed it but it could and should be a lot better.

Last edited by J Harker; 1st July 2023 at 07:22 PM.
Old 1st July 2023, 02:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hobo With A Shotgun. 2011.

Rutger Hauer plays the hobo who arrives in a small town with dreams of buying a lawnmower and starting up a business only to cross paths with a gangster, his two sadistic sons and corrupt police and decides to buy a shotgun and go on a vigilante hunt. Hauer had a great career in films and does make you wonder why he did this, was it done out of pure fun and something different. Certainly a throwback to he 80s with the cameras that used vhs tapes, a good opening score taken from Mark of The Devil and Cannibal Holocaust, I'm sure the end song was from the cartoon The Raccoons. It has plenty gore, bloodsplatter and our hero taking a time out to give a speech to a few new born babies.

MV5BMTcxMDkxNTMwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzc5MjUzNA@@._V1_.jpg
Old 1st July 2023, 02:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
The Menu came out during that period when Disney renounced physical media there is a handful of really well received films that just never came out, they seem to have made a u-turn on that but most of the films from that period still haven't come out, The French Dispatch seems to the be only one so far.

For the record, I didn't like The Menu, it had some great moments, but overall I didn't like it and I especially disliked the ending. I rated it a 3 on Letterboxd though so I must have liked it OK my whole life is a contradiction haha
It's the Fox Searchlight Films that are having trouble getting physical releases, I can think of French Dispatch and Empire Of Light getting releases.

Also the 90's live action Disney Films need Blu Ray releases.
Old 1st July 2023, 02:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Arachnophobia. 1990.

Jeff Daniels stars as the new doctor in town that has a fear of spiders and a new species of Arachnoid has found its way and begins bumping off a few townsfolk. John Goodman stars as the tough town exterminator who fears very little especially standing on a spider and walking away like a big man. Julian Sands plays the arachnologist who finds a new species in South America but comes across a entirely new species in the small town. No matter how many times i watch this one i still cringe and squirm, sometimes you think something is crawling over you. Respect to the makers on using real spiders and taking concern for their safety but I'm sure a lot of people will still pick up a newspaper and not think twice about whacking a spider. There is some good comical moments and sarcastic comments put in then it jumps again to a suspenseful cringeworthy movie.

Attachment 246878
Yes this is still a rather enjoyable Film, dread to think what the remake would be like.
MrBarlow likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!