All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st April 2023, 02:34 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Excellent review, J.

I bought The Irishman when it first came out on dvd, from Asda of all places, and i still haven't watched it yet.

I'll have to move it up the to-watch pile.
I watched it on Netflix last week. Really want the blu but I'm not biting til it gets well below £20.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 21st April 2023, 03:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
The Woman

A controlling Husband kidnaps a feral cannibalistic Woman in order to domesticate her. When Arrow launched their latest Sale, I made a list of potential targets to watch the Trailers of. This one made the cut and it's rather enjoyable and made me think why I never picked up on this one before, it's disturbing and violent.

I think that if this was made in the early 80's, it might have landed on the Video Nasties List, a lot tamer Films made it.

Bad Blood

Abigail Breslin takes up a job as a Drug Runner for her Uncle played by Sean Bean but is caught in the middle as her Sister starts dating one of her customers played by James Purefoy. It's not bad but the cover description made it seem a bit more violent and action packed.
I bought the woman a while back and only watched it recently, I don’t know what it was but I just couldn’t get into it and was bored so turned it off around the hr mark .
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 21st April 2023, 06:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

My favourite Jim Carrey movie . Here he plays Truman a man who doesn't release his entire life is a TV show and everyone he knows is an actor, this includes his wife and best friend . He slowly begins too release Their is something strange about his life. Carreys performance is fantastic and proved he wasn't just a comic but good actor. He see a lot comedians who turn out too be great actors but you don't see a lot actors that make good comedians . A heart warming classic .

Well what a pleasant surprise this far exceeded my expectations. It's very very gory and violent and the big plus it's practical effects , we have literally gallons of blood and guts. The tension builds and builds until it reaches breaking point. See if you can "spot" Bruce . A worthy spiritual successor too the original . Lots of nods / Easter eggs too the movies we even have one to the shining.

Now watching , for the first time.

Last edited by trebor8273; 21st April 2023 at 06:45 PM.
Old 21st April 2023, 09:47 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Golden Child (1986)

Fun Eddie Murphy fantasy in which he plays an LA social worker assigned to track down a Tibetan boy with mystical powers who has been kidnapped by Charles Dance and his diabolical cult.

The first half all set in Los Angeles is superior to the Tibetan set second half, especially when Murphy takes out a biker gang as Ratt's Body Talk video blasts out of the tv. Murphy is great in social worker mode when he guests on a tv show with a moron of a presenter and you care about his relationship with Charlotte Lewis' character who enlists him to find the Golden Child.

The film's second half isn't really a patch on the first other than a battle with Dance who transforms into a winged stop motion style demon at the finale. In fact it's practically a poor mans reworking of Big Trouble in Little China which hit cinemas the previous summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golden_child_movie.jpg (25.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 21st April 2023, 09:59 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Golden Child (1986)

Fun Eddie Murphy fantasy in which he plays an LA social worker assigned to track down a Tibetan boy with mystical powers who has been kidnapped by Charles Dance and his diabolical cult.

The first half all set in Los Angeles is superior to the Tibetan set second half, especially when Murphy takes out a biker gang as Ratt's Body Talk video blasts out of the tv. Murphy is great in social worker mode when he guests on a tv show with a moron of a presenter and you care about his relationship with Charlotte Lewis' character who enlists him to find the Golden Child.

The film's second half isn't really a patch on the first other than a battle with Dance who transforms into a winged stop motion style demon at the finale. In fact it's practically a poor mans reworking of Big Trouble in Little China which hit cinemas the previous summer.
I haven't seen this for years. Always enjoyed it though. Have to be honest I don't actually remember the first half you mentioned Dem. I remember the more Indiana Jones themed second half. Although as I say it's been so so long.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 21st April 2023, 10:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

M3gan. A computer programmer suddenly forced to look after her nine year old niece following the death of her parents is inspired to build the ultimate toy in M3gan, a lifesize robot doll with AI that can provide companionship and guidance to children. But M3gan soon begins to develop her own ideas... This 2023 sci-fi horror is okay, but nothing more than that despite the hype. The first half is actually better than the second, with some genuinely unnerving ideas and moments as well as commentary on our obsession with and reliance on technology, but the second half just goes for cliche slasher type horror and gets a bit silly. Not bad.
Old 22nd April 2023, 08:24 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Wrath Of Man. 2021.

Patrick Hill known as H starts working for a cash moving company after foiling a robbery he is praised for his work, his colleagues are unaware he has other plans.

Jason Statham plays the new comer teamed with Holt McCallany and Josh Hartnett that starts the day with some light work humour then takes a on a serious tone with flash backs scene that shows why Statham is feared by a gang who try to rob his van. It's not over the top for a action thriller and decently written and directed by Guy Ritchie and manages to try and throw in a curve ball but it can be obvious who the insider man can be and decently played shootout. Worth a watch.

MV5BNTI3YTQ1ZDEtOWQ0Yy00MmU3LTllY2UtMDA1OTc1MGU0ZTcyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQyMTMwOTk0._V1_.jpg
Old 22nd April 2023, 10:29 AM
Cult Master

Deadly_Manor.jpg

On a road trip for some fun at the lake a bunch of friends get lost after picking up a hitch hiker and decide to spend the night in an old abandoned mansion before setting out to find the lake the next morning but the only lake this crazy bunch will find is a lake of their own BLOOOOOOOOOD.

I got a good feeling from the start even with the terrible acting and even worse dialogue but that good feeling rapidly went away and what started out as entertaining just started to annoy me the acting keeps getting worse and the dialogue gets embarrassing. The first hour of the film absolutely nothing happens it's just them messing about in the house but once the kills start it's all done very fast but none of it is worth the wait every kill is the same grabbed from behind in the dark throat slit and stabbed in the chest. There is no proper onscreen kills just obviously blood in the blade trick and there is lots of blood but obviously thrown on them off screen so it's just boring.

The soundtrack is terrible too a real product of the 90s hard to explain but if you just heard the music without any knowledge of the film you would know within seconds it was just some generic 90s crap here's a cheap Casio keyboard just mash the keys... Perfect that will do cheers mate.

It's a pretty stunning looking blu ray and this film doesn't deserve this sort of treatment which always blows my mind that these sort of crap films get releases like this when so many great ones don't.

Absolute GARBAGE
Old 22nd April 2023, 10:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Heavenhurst. 2016.

Jackie a reformed alcoholic takes up residency in a building for people who have left the clinic and uncovers a dark secret.

Julie Benz takes the lead alongside Fionnula Flanagan as the owner of the gothic style building who sets the rules and if they are broken then its eviction in a different way. Partially based on the back story of serial killer H.H. Holmes that is decently corporated in the story. Aside from seeing the after effect of someone getting sliced and a noticeable goof with a acid shower, this seemed to have a decent star cast but fails on some levels. There is no tense or suspenseful moments that made me wanna be on the edge of my seat, the director had good intentions then must have just said "go with it". Didn't do much for me.

829677-338.jpeg
Old 22nd April 2023, 12:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 245873

On a road trip for some fun at the lake a bunch of friends get lost after picking up a hitch hiker and decide to spend the night in an old abandoned mansion before setting out to find the lake the next morning but the only lake this crazy bunch will find is a lake of their own BLOOOOOOOOOD.

I got a good feeling from the start even with the terrible acting and even worse dialogue but that good feeling rapidly went away and what started out as entertaining just started to annoy me the acting keeps getting worse and the dialogue gets embarrassing. The first hour of the film absolutely nothing happens it's just them messing about in the house but once the kills start it's all done very fast but none of it is worth the wait every kill is the same grabbed from behind in the dark throat slit and stabbed in the chest. There is no proper onscreen kills just obviously blood in the blade trick and there is lots of blood but obviously thrown on them off screen so it's just boring.

The soundtrack is terrible too a real product of the 90s hard to explain but if you just heard the music without any knowledge of the film you would know within seconds it was just some generic 90s crap here's a cheap Casio keyboard just mash the keys... Perfect that will do cheers mate.

It's a pretty stunning looking blu ray and this film doesn't deserve this sort of treatment which always blows my mind that these sort of crap films get releases like this when so many great ones don't.

Absolute GARBAGE
Totally agree!
Nordicdusk and nicholasrope like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!