Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd July 2023, 05:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

@Justin - Another element that placed the film in the Giallo genre aside from it being made in Rome, directed and shot by Italians and featuring Italians in all bar three of the roles, did you notice all the yellow Giallo novels at the airport, oh yeah and also Taylor seemed to have one in her hand the entire film.

I aimed to buy a yellow Giallo book when i was at the airport the last time i was in Italy but hadn't enough money in change and didn't want to break into a hundred Euro bill for a 7 Euro book.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 23rd July 2023, 07:25 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
@Justin - Another element that placed the film in the Giallo genre aside from it being made in Rome, directed and shot by Italians and featuring Italians in all bar three of the roles, did you notice all the yellow Giallo novels at the airport, oh yeah and also Taylor seemed to have one in her hand the entire film.

I aimed to buy a yellow Giallo book when i was at the airport the last time i was in Italy but hadn't enough money in change and didn't want to break into a hundred Euro bill for a 7 Euro book.

I did notice yes and I would have loved to browse through them. When I was in Rome 4 or so years ago I was looking for giallo paperbacks myself but I couldn’t see any. Not that I’d be able to read them but but they look cool with the yellow cover and the artwork in a circle on the front.

I was also scouring the backgrounds of the film for bottles of J&B I’m not sure if I saw any did you?
nicholasrope likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd July 2023, 07:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Glorious. 2022.

Ryan Kwanten plays a broken man after the loss of his wife, makes a pit stop at a park and enters the toilet and engages in a conversation with someone in the stall who needs his help to bring the stop of a end of world catastrophe.

This was certainly a weird film that has the hallmark to Lovecraft Cthulhulian touch to it. This shows that a big budget is not necessary just a handful of actors, one setting a plot that can capture the audiences attention and weird them out. J.K. Simmons is the voice in the stall who presents himself as a god, like many actors he has a distinctive voice that is easily recognised but can be a bit chilling at times. There is one or two plot twists that can throw you a bit off the track. Best watched in the dark.

images (2).jpg
Old 23rd July 2023, 09:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I did notice yes and I would have loved to browse through them. When I was in Rome 4 or so years ago I was looking for giallo paperbacks myself but I couldn’t see any. Not that I’d be able to read them but but they look cool with the yellow cover and the artwork in a circle on the front.

I was also scouring the backgrounds of the film for bottles of J&B I’m not sure if I saw any did you?
No. Pretty sure there was a huge banner for Johnny Walker at one point though.

There was a stand at the newsagent at the airport in Naples with loads of the little yellow buggers on. They all looked intriguing but i wasn't breaking into a hundred note for a 7 euro book.
Justin101, nicholasrope and troggi like this.
Old 23rd July 2023, 09:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005)

A hugely entertaining vehicle for Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to shoot the shit with each other.

They play a married couple going through a relationship crisis which kind of deepens when they find out each other are contract killers for rival organisations and their next 'hit' is each other.

A pacy and very witty script make up for any shortcomings as the couple attempt to outdo each other with bullets, bombs and weapons of all kinds.

Don't come here if you want anything deep, meaningful and life changing but if you want a great time with what once was Hollywood's coolest, sexiest couple where a hell of a lot of shit blows up then Mr. & Mrs. Smith is for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mr_and_Mrs_Smith_poster.jpg (39.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 24th July 2023, 06:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Maniac (1980)

All this hysteria around the new Barbie movie put me in the mood to revisit William Lustig’s 1980 top tier slasher Maniac.

I love this movie. The one thing that always annoys me though, is how accepting Caroline Munro is when Joe Spinell rocks up at her home address with the line “you took my picture in the park” - and I’ve basically tracked you down cause I’m a nutcase and I’m planning on killing and scalping you.

Otherwise, Great stuff.

IMG_7526.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25th July 2023, 11:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

In The Heat Of The Night. 1967.

A film I have heard good things about and finally sat down to watch it and hear Sydney Poitier say the famous line "They call me Mr Tibbs".

Poitier plays a Philadelphia detective passing through a town that is very racially and picked up after a murder has happened and arrested until his identity is cleared and asked to assist in the crime. Rod Steiger plays the chief of police in the town who basically is a racist but learns to turn things around and Lee Grant is the victims wife who wants Tibbs on the case.

The script is incredibly thought-provoking with the racial tension tensely and vividly drawn, never resorting to heavy-handedness, except someone slapping Tibbs who returns the slap that is well deserved.Visually, 'In the Heat of the Night' is an incredibly well-made film with cinematography that's both beautiful and gritty. It is immaculately directed also by Norman Jewison who made some amazing films after this.

lf.jpg
Old 25th July 2023, 11:55 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Norma Rae. 1979.

Sally Fields plays the Southener textile mill worker who's management really don't give a crap about their workforce and joins up with unionist Ron Liebman to bring in a union to other workers and knows the dangers and downfall that may come.

This is a very compelling story especially since these places were terrible places to work with low wages, brown lung, a fatal disease caused by inhaling cotton fibres and bosses who have a 'take it or leave it' attitude about the employees. Ironically, in real life, after the mill workers eventually unionized, slowly the mills began to close and jobs were sent to other places. The film does portray some real parts when Norma is arrested and basically tells her kids everything about their dad's identity and how they may hear story's yet she still has a lot of love for her family.

Norma_rae_ver2.jpg
Old 25th July 2023, 03:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Do Not Profane the Sleep of the Dead (1974)

I absolutely love Jorge Grau's zombie shocker which is also known as The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue and Let Sleeping Corpses Lie. I've watched the dvd countless times over the years and would pick up a UK Blu-ray in a flash.

However watching it once again last night there are some wildly inaccurate inconsistencies mainly to do with the location of the film.

The film is set at Windermere in the Lake District in the far north west of England.

It begins with Ray Lovelock needing a new wheel for his motorbike. The garage owner says it's not a problem but it will take a couple of days because he'll need to get one from Glasgow. Glasgow? As in Glasgow in Scotland? Why not Carlisle for Gods sake? You know that city just at the top of the Lake District. Obviously much easier to get one sent from a city 150 miles away.

Why not get the wheel from Manchester which is apparently the nearest place to Windermere. Well i suppose it is if you forget about Carlisle, Morecambe, Lancaster, Preston or any other town or city between Manchester and the bloody Lakes.

Then there's the final scene in which somehow the zombie Lovelock manages to get back to Arthur Kennedy's hotel first despite Kennedy driving there. It's done for effect i realise as a shock ending but it really doesn't work if you even remotely think about it.

These badly thought out sequences don't detract from what is an excellent atmospheric chiller and a standout in the zombie genre.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Do_Not_Speak_Ill_of_the_Dead_poster.jpg (21.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 25th July 2023, 05:30 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Do Not Profane the Sleep of the Dead (1974)

I absolutely love Jorge Grau's zombie shocker which is also known as The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue and Let Sleeping Corpses Lie. I've watched the dvd countless times over the years and would pick up a UK Blu-ray in a flash.

However watching it once again last night there are some wildly inaccurate inconsistencies mainly to do with the location of the film.

The film is set at Windermere in the Lake District in the far north west of England.

It begins with Ray Lovelock needing a new wheel for his motorbike. The garage owner says it's not a problem but it will take a couple of days because he'll need to get one from Glasgow. Glasgow? As in Glasgow in Scotland? Why not Carlisle for Gods sake? You know that city just at the top of the Lake District. Obviously much easier to get one sent from a city 150 miles away.

Why not get the wheel from Manchester which is apparently the nearest place to Windermere. Well i suppose it is if you forget about Carlisle, Morecambe, Lancaster, Preston or any other town or city between Manchester and the bloody Lakes.

Then there's the final scene in which somehow the zombie Lovelock manages to get back to Arthur Kennedy's hotel first despite Kennedy driving there. It's done for effect i realise as a shock ending but it really doesn't work if you even remotely think about it.

These badly thought out sequences don't detract from what is an excellent atmospheric chiller and a standout in the zombie genre.
Over the year's you have done many many brilliant reviews but you have out done yourself with this one I love it

Last edited by Nordicdusk; 25th July 2023 at 08:14 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!