Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179933Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd August 2023, 09:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Troll 2. 1990.

I put my Mrs through this film last year and got a few choice of words, decided to brave again and put my liltle cousin through this...in her words 'I should slap some sense into you, is this supposed to be a horror? It's labeled The best worst sequel and I agree. Put me through this again without alcohol and it may be better and I won't slap you . Wonder what will happen if I put her through the film Witchery
Old 23rd August 2023, 01:38 PM
Active Cultist

A Shock to the System, 1990.
Michael Caine can elevate even the most ordinary film and this film would of been nowhere near as entertaining without his presence. He plays the middle aged advertising executive who is belittled by his younger, yuppie, comrades.
He decided to become ruthless and starts systematically eliminating anyone in his way. This is fun to watch.
Old 23rd August 2023, 02:46 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Troll 2. 1990.

I put my Mrs through this film last year and got a few choice of words, decided to brave again and put my liltle cousin through this...in her words 'I should slap some sense into you, is this supposed to be a horror? It's labeled The best worst sequel and I agree. Put me through this again without alcohol and it may be better and I won't slap you . Wonder what will happen if I put her through the film Witchery
Witchery is way superior to Troll 2.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 23rd August 2023, 10:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

When you come to a thread to review something then can't remember what the hell it was you watched last night.
Old 24th August 2023, 02:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

FLUX GOURMET – Leave it to Peter Strickland to make a semi avant-garde sort-of black comedy horror movie about the goings on within an artist’s residency. The UK Arts Council winners in this case are a performance collective who like to merge naked on-stage cuisine with synapse frying noise music. If you’ve ever felt a slight twinge of resentment that your broccoli smoothie hasn’t been served up to you by Merzbow, consider your dreams fulfilled. If not, take a trip anyway inside this institutional netherworld, where gastrointestinal issues run deep. Yet more evidence that Strickland is one of the UK’s most unique filmmakers.

SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT 3: BETTER WATCH OUT! – SNDN is just such a strange sequence of films, each with its own brand of crazy. This one’s by Monte Hellman, of all people! Bill Moseley plays Ricky, now comatose after being shot at the end of part 2; Samantha Scully is blind psychic Laura, who reaches out to him in dreams. Hellman plays it like a sort of cross between Frankenstein and Halloween, with the plastic-domed Moseley lurching (a little comedically) across the country to Scully’s seasonal homecoming. There’s a bit of drag midsection, but Hellman drew me in with a murky atmosphere that at times also felt quite trancey and disconnected (I’m trying not to say ‘dreamlike’, but OK, dreamlike). This one gets quite a lot of stick for being boring, but I really like it.

THE DEVIL’S WEDDING NIGHT – I was a bit put off at first by the crummy sub-Hammer opening – I struggle with really dry period horror, particularly anything to do with vampires and Dracula. Oh me of little faith, for TDWN soon erupted into a flurry of gothic psychedelia, with lots of almost wordless passages full of dank crypt explorations, bizarre rituals and nudes in the mist. Didn’t the BBFC once love to obsess about blood spattered breasts being some kind of ‘trigger image’ for would-be sex murderers? They’d have had a collective heart attack with this one. Maybe it was obvious that the director of ‘Nude For Satan’ would at some point lay on the freakery, and I’m glad he did.
Old 24th August 2023, 02:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THE DEVIL’S WEDDING NIGHT – I was a bit put off at first by the crummy sub-Hammer opening – I struggle with really dry period horror, particularly anything to do with vampires and Dracula. Oh me of little faith, for TDWN soon erupted into a flurry of gothic psychedelia, with lots of almost wordless passages full of dank crypt explorations, bizarre rituals and nudes in the mist. Didn’t the BBFC once love to obsess about blood spattered breasts being some kind of ‘trigger image’ for would-be sex murderers? They’d have had a collective heart attack with this one. Maybe it was obvious that the director of ‘Nude For Satan’ would at some point lay on the freakery, and I’m glad he did.
A fave of mine. Is it now on Blu? My dvd copy is scratched to say the least.

Vin Syn i'm guessing.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 24th August 2023, 03:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A fave of mine. Is it now on Blu? My dvd copy is scratched to say the least.

Vin Syn i'm guessing.
Code Red put it out a few years ago. Can't even remember buying it, but more to the point I'd never seen it, so when I found it the other day I slipped it on, and weirdly enough a recent-ish review of yours crossed my mind. Transfer's alright, doubt it's been done from the OCN but it looks nicely film-y, grainy and so forth. If you're into it I'd say it's probably worth the upgrade, but you don't seem all that fussed about importing these days. Don't blame you, I can only afford to do that kind of thing two or three times a year now tops.
Old 24th August 2023, 03:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Code Red put it out a few years ago. Can't even remember buying it, but more to the point I'd never seen it, so when I found it the other day I slipped it on, and weirdly enough a recent-ish review of yours crossed my mind. Transfer's alright, doubt it's been done from the OCN but it looks nicely film-y, grainy and so forth. If you're into it I'd say it's probably worth the upgrade, but you don't seem all that fussed about importing these days. Don't blame you, I can only afford to do that kind of thing two or three times a year now tops.
With coming so late to the Blu-ray party there's so much stuff in the UK i want (need) that i try not to contemplate the other markets. PLus many of those are disappearing into obscurity nowadays, simple catalogue titles that i really like.

I do import the odd thing that i really want like The Body Snatcher, The Ninth Gate and the Rob Zombie (Firefly) triple bill and some Halloween films but I simply can't afford to buy those that aren't must owns from abroad.

I've just had an idea. (It happens every so often). I need to go through every single dvd i own and see if i want to make the upgrade then put them all in a wish list.
Old 24th August 2023, 03:56 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
When you come to a thread to review something then can't remember what the hell it was you watched last night.
That's the middle aged condition setting in mate. Where is Steven these days? I miss his passive aggressive petineness.
Old 24th August 2023, 03:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcol View Post
That's the middle aged condition setting in mate. Where is Steven these days? I miss his passive aggressive petineness.
Actually this time it wasn't. I couldn't remember a film because i didn't watch one. I watched a couple of episodes of The Avengers instead.

Like this? Share it using the links below!