Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th March 2020, 11:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scooby-Doo and the witch's ghost. 1999.

Scooby and the gang visit Oakhaven to seek strange goings on with a famous horror writer and a ancestor who the townsfolk believed to be a witch

OK so it's for kids but do we actually ever grow up , one of direct to video releases and boomerang channel films, that sees the gang of Mystery Inc. look for another adventure of spooky goings on, Tim Curry provides the creepy voice of horror author Ben Ravenclaw who seeks a book written by his ancestor and raises the witch, this has its usual laughs and people in spooky costumes.

6WrEAlbNzJnXl1QUJuS16zPiIVF.jpg
Old 8th March 2020, 02:53 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Silent Hill. 2006.

A woman goes in search for her missing adopted daughter in the desolate town called Silent Hill.

The film did take its time with the opening then after 10-15 mins it gets interesting then basically glued to the screen, movies based on games don't always work but this one did. Radha Mitchell plays Rose who takes her daughter to Silent Hill after her daughter says it while sleep walking and proves that nothing is wrong with the town...yeah how many times have we heard that.

I don't see this as some horror it's made out to be its more psychological thriller and the appearance of being in someone's vision of purgatory. Even though the story of the young girl is a bit disturbing and how people who have fears that are fed by believing in religion that's made up. The plot was really good and steady paced mixed with good acting and visual effects made this great.

Silent-Hill-Movie-1024x613.jpg
Old 8th March 2020, 06:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A showman funds an archaeology search for a lost tomb, once tomb is found he plans to tour the mummy around the globe , but soon those involved in the search are being killed by the mummy and just what is the interest of a mysterious man that has taken interest in findings of the expedition. 7.2/10

This time a group of archaeologists are searching for the tomb of a lost prince, when they find it they are warned by none other than the Master ( Roger Delgado) not to disturb the tomb, but of course they do and all involved are hunted down by the mummy being controlled by the Master and his mammy!

Like all the films before it Michael Ripper has a role but here it's a larger role and likable role. 7.4/10

WTF is this supposed to be? Is a farce,a horror or a film about the perils of gambling.

The story of a man whom murders wealthy lonely widows in very gruesome manners to fund his gambling habit. 5/10

Now watching.

Last edited by trebor8273; 8th March 2020 at 06:38 PM.
Old 8th March 2020, 07:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Touch Of Death is just unique t. About as far away from the "horror of dreams" that he produced earlier that decade, it literally insists upon itself even moreso than the mega meta Nightmare Concert.
Or is it that I is biased?

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th March 2020, 08:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Audrey Rose. 1977.

A stranger tries to convince a couple that their daughter is the reincarnation of his deceased daughter.

A small easy enough plot to follow and doesn't stem off the rails too much, i wouldn't say this was a horror as such more of a drama/thriller type of film. Anthony Hopkins gives out a great performance as trying to prove that reincarnation is real to the Templeton's (Marsha Mason and John Beck) in the form of their daughter Ivy (Susan Swift).

Director Robert Wise adds the same atmosphere and tension from The Haunting when Ivy is asleep and is she sleepwalking or living a past life experience. This may seem a bit long but it is effective engrossing film, worth a watch.

bad20337f30d6db7c93c3e494066cc9c1ae31d80.jpg
Old 8th March 2020, 09:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Ghidora The Three Headed Monster.

Entry #5 in Criterion's Godzilla set, quite slow to start (news reporters, meteors, a princess assassination plot!) before we get to the monster action.

Great fun if you're a Big G fan! Rodan, Mothra also feature & the monster mash at the end of the movie is great!
Old 8th March 2020, 10:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Antrum (2018)

See that poster? That's Exploitation that is

Falling for hype is something I try and avoid. Well, should try harder will be the comment to remember.
It's from '79 and at least has the good grace to give the modern generation their very own "Bob". Cthulhu, he's annoying. It looks authentic certainly, down to lens glare in the outdoor scenes and wardrobe choices etc, but ....... it's very dull and is missing an atonal electronic score to be really the real deal. Any one who falls for the diaspora that is the "framing device" needs their heid examined, ken?
Ahem.
AVOID.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AA.jpg (8.6 KB, 5 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th March 2020, 11:09 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Taste The Blood Of Dracula (1970)

Well, I had to try didn't I? Still easily the worst Hammer Dracula of them all, if only because he is reduced to a supporting character ...
A group of dissolutes are given an opportunity to go "beyond their wildest dreams" ... by Ralph Bates.
More fool them.
It doesn't help that Wallace is among these "deviants" ...."Eeeeh Gromit, cracking bit of BDSM!" etc ahem.
Linda Hayden does brighten things slightly, but the male lead is blaaaand in extremis, so no more backchat about Dennis Waterman please thank you

NEXT!!!!

[B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 9th March 2020 at 11:26 AM.
Old 9th March 2020, 02:38 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970)

Dario Argento's directorial debut and the first and best of his animal trilogy.

The Bird With the Crystal Plumage is often described as a seminal giallo. Yes i'd go along with that. Recommended!

I've reviewed this earlier in the thread so won't do so again but will say that i watched it twice last night, the second time with the Alan Jones and Kim Newman commentary. The reason i'd just bought the BU two disc set from Music Magpie.

These guys really know their stuff but unlike so many of the American commentators they aren't dry with their info, continually throwing facts at you like say Steve Haberman, it's done informally so as to entertain as well as educate and they pull it off marvelously.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg argento-ucello-poster.jpg (63.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 9th March 2020, 05:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

No Mummy in this one , here a young woman is being took over by the spirit of a Egyptian Princess who's tomb was found and opened when she was born. Can her farther and boy friend but a stop too this before she is lost for all time? 6.5/10

Ron Perlman is a deranged sheriff that arrests people on trumped up charges and takes them back to the town of desperation, those captured soon learn they are dealing with something far worse than a deranged lawman! 8/10

Now watching one of the greatest horrors of all time and my favourite hammer movie.

Like this? Share it using the links below!