Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th May 2018, 12:20 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Just remember if Hivey does go on a rant which three individuals brought it about.
Hey, I ain't trying to trigger anyone I'm just saying not to go there. I'm innocent

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th May 2018, 12:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Hey, I ain't trying to trigger anyone I'm just saying not to go there. I'm innocent

He means me and keirarts don't know who the third is. I put my hand up and say I'm partially to blame BUT they will argue black is white and can't seem see others enjoy the films
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th May 2018, 12:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
He means me and keirarts don't know who the third is. I put my hand up and say I'm partially to blame BUT they will argue black is white and can't seem see others enjoy the films
No he doesn't! He means you, Rik and bleakshaun. (See below) Don't drag Keirarts into your stirrings from today. Rik mainly for starting it all off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Somewhere Hivemind is constructing a lengthy “New Star Wars is shit, Disney can kiss my arse” post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Don't go there

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
off too see it Saturday morning. no matter how bad or good it turns out to be, it could win oscars etc. Hivemind would still hate it. there is a part of me that thinks if it was awful and panned by nearly everyone, they would like it!
Rik and keirarts like this.
Old 24th May 2018, 01:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

9F40009F-3315-4671-A631-B1543FC778BB-1701-000000DB762C301A.JPG

Couldn’t resist, but it’s all a bit of fun, so hopefully he won’t take offence
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 24th May 2018, 02:42 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I wanted to see Solo today, but the only time which was suitable meant paying extra money for a 4DX showing, something which doesn't interest me at all. There is a decent time on Monday, so hopefully it'll be quiet in the good weather!

I did watch Deadpool 2 again, a film which entertained me as much today as when I saw it last week and will probably do so many more times when the buy it to watch at home.

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk
Old 24th May 2018, 02:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

keirarts likes this.
Old 24th May 2018, 02:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I was laughing from the opening credits to the end credits, he clearly didn’t like it because it’s not the Exorcist
keirarts and ArgentoFan1987 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 24th May 2018, 02:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I was laughing from the opening credits to the end credits, he clearly didn’t like it because it’s not the Exorcist
I've no idea what i'll think of it when i eventually see it. The first one was alright, some good laughs, but story wise not all that special.
Old 24th May 2018, 03:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Manhattan Baby (1982)

Using Stoker's Jewel of the Seven Stars as it's primary inspiration, Lucio Fulci's Manhattan Baby fails on so many levels. The story is a difficult one to make interesting for cinema goers as other film makers (The Awakening, Blood From the Mummy's Tomb) have found out. To that end Fulci adds elements from The Exorcist into the mix as the film morphs into an incoherent mess.

Having said that, the film isn't just about the sum of it's parts, it's almost a series of vignettes thrown together from which Fulci hoped to assemble some sort of story. Sadly they don't. What we do get is a nicely shot movie with good Egyptian and New York location work with each sequence adding it's own weirdness to the overall film. Barely five minutes passes without something horrific or interesting happening, meaning, despite it's story line or lack of it, the film still has a lot of entertainment value. Take the bird attack at the finale. It's resplendent with trademark Fulci gore yet also shockingly amateurish in it's execution.

As a final thought it's worth asking why on earth Fulci thought the extremely irritating Giovanni Frezza would be a good addition as a child actor. He was bad enough as Bob in House by the Cemetery withoud him showcasing his talents here as well.

Manhattan Baby isn't classic Fulci, it isn't even good Fulci but it is weirdly watchable Fulci.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31637370.jpg (78.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 24th May 2018, 03:59 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Manhattan Baby (1982)

It still upsets me when the au pair throws the Polaroid on the floor and walks off

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!