All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st May 2018, 11:28 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Cargo (2017)
Martin Freeman plays a father trying to survive along with his daughter amidst an unexplained zombie outbreak in the Australian Outback. This is a remake of the similarly titled 7 minute short released in 2013 and is a film more akin to apocalypse films like Stake Land, 28 Days Later and The Dead, so don’t expect any Romeroesque goings on, it’s more focused on a fathers struggle to keep his loved ones alive than all out gore. It’s a little slow in places, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially Freeman’s performance and the acting debut of Simone Landers, who plays a young girl he encounters on his travels and becomes a surrogate father to.
There’s a few genuine moments of tension, particularly a scene inside a tunnel that reminded me of Stephen King’s own take on the apocalypse; The Stand, and a smidgen of blood and guts, but as I say it’s more about a fathers desperate journey to protect his loved ones, so fans of your typical zombie movie may be disappointed. 4/5

BTW, the film is available on Netflix and is the first ever Australian Netflix Original
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 21st May 2018, 08:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Addams Family Values.

With a new edition to the family Pubert Addams, they seek out a nanny who wants uncle Fester's money, meanwhile Wednesday and Pugsly are off to summer camp.

This was more funnier than the first movie from three minutes in, how Christina Ricci managed to hold a straight face at telling the truth about babies is applaudable. The film does focus more on Fester finding love, howling at the moon and sticking breadsticks up his nose (who has never done that before in a restaurant??).
Joan Cusack plays Debbie the nanny/black widower is laughable and mischievous. Peter MacNicol and Christine Baranski play the camp owners who try their best with Wednesday and Pugsly to get them in the spirit. Only actress change was Carol Kane who played Granny in this film but is more funny and has more screen time than the previous film. 10 out 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1DJ-B4gjfL._SY445_.jpg (53.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 22nd May 2018, 03:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default A quick round up.

Freehold (2017)

A shady real estate agent has no idea that he's acquired a hidden house guest, who quietly moved into his flat without being detected. Aka Two Pigeons, Freehold was a delight throughout. Both amusing and incredibly disturbing at the same time, i found myself laughing then recoiling with disgust, often in the same scene. More a thriller than conventional horror film. I loved it.

Highly recommended.

The Guns of Navarone (1961)

A British team is sent to cross occupied Greek territory and destroy the massive German gun emplacement on the island of Navarone that threatens the movement of Allied troops in the Aegean Sea.

A classic World War II 'men on a mission' movie from the pen of the great Alistair Maclean. Great characters, an excellent ensemble cast (Look out for Richard Harris in a bloody good cameo) and a strong story ensure The Guns of Navarone remains in my affections forever and a day.

Highly recommended.

Plankton (1994)

Aka Creatures from the Abyss. Mad Italian movie about five twenty somethings lost at sea who happen upon an abandoned large private yacht. Well abandoned except for mutated sea creatures running amok that is.

Everything i said about Navarone - Great cast, characters and story do not apply here. Plankton is a mess, but it's an oddly endearing mess of all the exploitation tropes you can think of. There's gore, nudity, gross gags (Guy mutates into a wierd fish monster whilst having sex and girl ignores it and seems to enjoy it more) and terrible decision making galore.

Recommended with caution.... you might think it sucks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91PaBtn0x7L._SY445_.jpg (53.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Guns-of-Navarone-The_02.jpg (96.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg creatures_from_abyss_poster_01.jpg (105.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 22nd May 2018, 06:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Homefront 2013

An ex DEA agent moves to a small town with his 9 year old daughter. After his daughter, stands up to a school bully he is targeted by a drug dealer and makes a stand.

This is different from other Statham movies, he usually plays loner tough guy roles, but here he plays a father with a bit of a soft side and tough guy role.

James Franco stars as the bad guy who seems to like play mind games of being a model citizen to a total drug fuelled villian and never know what he is planning until the last minute. There is good supporting cast from Clancy Brown as the Sheriff, who makes us think if he is a good guy or one that takes bribes to look the other way, Wynona Ryder makes a appearance as well as Kate Bosworth who always seems to be tripping out. This is worth a watch. 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg homefront-2013-movie-review.jpg (98.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 22nd May 2018, 08:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Fly 1986

Seth Brundle has created a teleportation device, after a disastrous attempt to teleport a baboon he tries it on himself and is spliced with a house fly, he slowly changes into something hideous.

This film was made over 30 years and still enjoyable and fascinating, the 1958 movie was good but with this remake and Cronenberg directing you know you are in for a shock.

Jeff Goldblum portrayal as Seth is brilliant, his character is a recluse eccentric which he plays to a fine art with his looks and body movement. Geena Davis plays Ronnie a reporter who is a non believer in his work but after seeing it work and become lovers and begins to wonder why he has changed. There is a brief time we feel sympathy as Seth slowly changes and can't be helped to the point of wanting to kill him with fly spray.

With the movie being great, Howard Shore provides the movie with a brilliant haunting movie score that helps the movie move at a great steady pace and brilliant effects from Chris Walas that over the years don't seem outdated. 10 out of 10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-6ug-c3oKPNTEgKbA7SuqDg.jpg (88.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 22nd May 2018, 09:17 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Freehold (2017)

A shady real estate agent has no idea that he's acquired a hidden house guest, who quietly moved into his flat without being detected. Aka Two Pigeons, Freehold was a delight throughout. Both amusing and incredibly disturbing at the same time, i found myself laughing then recoiling with disgust, often in the same scene. More a thriller than conventional horror film. I loved it.

Highly recommended.

The Guns of Navarone (1961)

A British team is sent to cross occupied Greek territory and destroy the massive German gun emplacement on the island of Navarone that threatens the movement of Allied troops in the Aegean Sea.

A classic World War II 'men on a mission' movie from the pen of the great Alistair Maclean. Great characters, an excellent ensemble cast (Look out for Richard Harris in a bloody good cameo) and a strong story ensure The Guns of Navarone remains in my affections forever and a day.

Highly recommended.

Plankton (1994)

Aka Creatures from the Abyss. Mad Italian movie about five twenty somethings lost at sea who happen upon an abandoned large private yacht. Well abandoned except for mutated sea creatures running amok that is.

Everything i said about Navarone - Great cast, characters and story do not apply here. Plankton is a mess, but it's an oddly endearing mess of all the exploitation tropes you can think of. There's gore, nudity, gross gags (Guy mutates into a wierd fish monster whilst having sex and girl ignores it and seems to enjoy it more) and terrible decision making galore.

Recommended with caution.... you might think it sucks!
All good ones. I really like creatures from the Abyss. It may be utter trash but its a lot of fun.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 23rd May 2018, 01:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Fly II 1989

Seth Brundle's girlfriend Ronnie gives birth to their baby and is handed over to Seth's employer Barton and name him Martin. Martin grows at a quick rate and is employed to carry on his father's work with the telepods. He has his father's genes and will become something else.

Chris Walas designed the effects for this film as well as director, and started where Cronenberg finished with the first movie.

Eric Stoltz plays Martin Brundle, he played the character well for a 5 year old who looks like a adult, Daphne Zuniga plays Beth who befriends Martin then become lovers but knows how to scream when a lift comes down.

The plot is similar in a way to the previous film and shot well a at a good steady pace even though we can't wait to see how Martin/Brundlefly will emerge. Lee Richardson plays Bartok a man who wants everything done in his time frame of life and may get a dose of karma. There are a few good gore money shots in this that keep us entertained, even though there was a scene deleted and a different ending but the released ending was what we wanted. 7-8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-fly-2.jpg (51.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 23rd May 2018, 06:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Mad Doctor of Blood Island (1968)

Filipino shot quickie by auteur Eddie Romero. The third in a series about Blood Island. In this one John Ashley lands on Blood Island and finds a green blooded monster running amok.

The island setting makes the film appear better than it actually is due to some gorgeous locations, however the acting, dialogue and script fall short. Having said that this is probably one of the goriest sixties films outside the stable of HG Lewis, in fact the work of Lewis is the nearest comparison to this film.

Cheap and cheerful, i find Romero's films ridiculously entertaining and Mad Doctor of Blood Island is no exception.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mad_doctor_of_blood_island_poster_011.jpg (86.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 23rd May 2018, 06:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hear hear D! Romero's stuff is a tonic indeed.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd May 2018, 07:40 PM
Cult Addict

The Monster Club
A writer is bitten by a hungry vampire, who as a thanks invites him to a club and tells him some stories.
Apart from all the cheap monster costumes and relatively camp humor. A relatively enjoyable flick. If only because of Vincent Price.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Like this? Share it using the links below!