All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th April 2016, 10:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I was lucky also to be allowed watch 18s films when I was a kid there was always war , action and horror in the house with my father.
Snap more with my mum tho didnt seem to mind what i watched.
I was leaving school when all the nasty brigade started and i had already seen a fair few from the list by then.
If i remember correctly im sure i watched one nasty with my mum and the time i wasnt 100% sure what the film was about and tbh i think it was a rape film as welll prob isoyg might be wrong but deffo a rape film
keirarts likes this.
Old 26th April 2016, 06:53 AM
Cult Addict

Murder by decree

Bob Clark takes on Sherlock holmes vs Jack the Ripper in this film that's better than a study in terror. Christopher Plummer plays Holmes, James Mason plays watson and we get an incredible supporting cast including Frank Finlay as Inspector Lestrade as well as David Hemmings, Anthony Quayle, John Gielgud & Donald Sutherland.
The films real strengths are it's strong visual style and solid direction from Clark that manages to depict nightime London with a creepy atmosphere and grimy appearance. We also get some genuinely shocking moments thrown in, including Holmes stumbling upon the Ripper at work. Overall its a shame this one is yet to see a blu-ray release.

No Blade of Grass

Britian goes post apocalypse in this surprisingly brutal little thriller that's only really let down by it's clunky dialogue. I have to say that its the dialogue that really made it entertaining for me. Also the fact that Pauline fowler from Eastenders turns up playing a right slapper.

"She's got a survival kit between her legs!"

Nigel Davenport heads the cast as John Custance who decides to lead his family up north once its revealed that Britain is threatened with starvation. A plague is wiping out all grass and agriculture as well as livestock and large portions of the globe are already turning to cannibalism. Things turn mental pretty quickly, one moment people are scoffing pies the next rioting in the streets. As things get bad John and his family must cast aside their suburban morality and steal and kill to survive. The way north is beset with many dangers including roaming biker gangs, thieving locals and internal disputes within the party as Wendy Craig tries to screw Custance.
There's some pretty out there moments in the film including lots of imagery of dead animals (that look pretty real) actual imagery of famine victims, a live birth scene and a pretty brutal rape scene at the hands of a biker gang. Its only available on one of those burn on demand releases at the minute but its worth checking out.
Old 26th April 2016, 12:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

SHIVERS – Thought I'd check out my Arrow replacement disc. It's odd, watching it now from the standpoint of Cronenberg's later work, just how confidently 'Shivers' lays out its director's preoccupations and themes. Not only that, but it's fully invested with that essential Cronenebergian quality, 'chilly detachment'. This is only slightly undermined by the obvious awakwardness of a first time (feature) director, though the moments of clunk give way surprisingly easily once the sexual holocaust at the heart of the movie is in full swing. I don't know whether Cronenberg has ever acknowledged a debt to J G Ballard, but it seems strange that 'High Rise' was published around the same time as 'Shivers' came out. The two make wondeful companion pieces, and I'm keen to see what young Ben Wheatley has made of Ballard's visionary dystopia. I imagine it'll be infinitely better made, but somehow less impactful, than 'Shivers', a film which remains genuinely haunting and disturbing in places, with imagery and scenes which are so obviously of their times, but are somehow also beyond them. There's something about 'Shiver's philosophy which is difficult to define, but which has the potential to offend just about anyone – from groovy sixities lifestyle experimentalists to social right wingers to Freudo-Marxists to today's 'sex positive' generation. It's hard to pin the film down, either as an gleeful attack on sterile bourgeois values, or as a conservative exercise in equating sex with destruction, but maybe it works best as a disappointed satire on sixties radicalism – weirdly, for me one of the most chilling scenes is the last one, where we see the newly liberated denizens of Starliner towers file out of the parking lot car by car. It's obvious in narrative terms that they're going to 'spread the disease' etc, but you're left with a feeling that they might just be going to work, or to the movies... the same old alientated trudge. Whatever, 'Shivers' is necessary viewing, and the Arrow release has to be the best it's ever looked.
Old 26th April 2016, 02:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
As for me, Rambo is an excellent film. Good action, solid acting, and a great message.

Really??

Sarcasm?

keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th April 2016, 02:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
SHIVERS – Thought I'd check out my Arrow replacement disc. It's odd, watching it now from the standpoint of Cronenberg's later work, just how confidently 'Shivers' lays out its director's preoccupations and themes. Not only that, but it's fully invested with that essential Cronenebergian quality, 'chilly detachment'. This is only slightly undermined by the obvious awakwardness of a first time (feature) director, though the moments of clunk give way surprisingly easily once the sexual holocaust at the heart of the movie is in full swing. I don't know whether Cronenberg has ever acknowledged a debt to J G Ballard, but it seems strange that 'High Rise' was published around the same time as 'Shivers' came out. The two make wondeful companion pieces, and I'm keen to see what young Ben Wheatley has made of Ballard's visionary dystopia. I imagine it'll be infinitely better made, but somehow less impactful, than 'Shivers', a film which remains genuinely haunting and disturbing in places, with imagery and scenes which are so obviously of their times, but are somehow also beyond them. There's something about 'Shiver's philosophy which is difficult to define, but which has the potential to offend just about anyone – from groovy sixities lifestyle experimentalists to social right wingers to Freudo-Marxists to today's 'sex positive' generation. It's hard to pin the film down, either as an gleeful attack on sterile bourgeois values, or as a conservative exercise in equating sex with destruction, but maybe it works best as a disappointed satire on sixties radicalism – weirdly, for me one of the most chilling scenes is the last one, where we see the newly liberated denizens of Starliner towers file out of the parking lot car by car. It's obvious in narrative terms that they're going to 'spread the disease' etc, but you're left with a feeling that they might just be going to work, or to the movies... the same old alientated trudge. Whatever, 'Shivers' is necessary viewing, and the Arrow release has to be the best it's ever looked.

Great review FT!! Peerless film etc.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th April 2016, 03:32 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

Really??

Sarcasm?

No sarcasm. The final monologue is brilliant.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 26th April 2016, 04:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

Really??

Sarcasm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
No sarcasm. The final monologue is brilliant.
Been thinking about this. Rambo is the fourth film. Rambo First Blood Part II is the one i was initially thinking of.
keirarts and Prince_Vajda like this.
Old 26th April 2016, 04:26 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I think I've only seen First Blood from the Rambo franchise and wasn't overly keen.
keirarts likes this.
Old 26th April 2016, 04:43 PM
Cult Addict

I love them all though 3 is admittedly the poorest by a long shot.
Old 26th April 2016, 05:24 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Been thinking about this. Rambo is the fourth film. Rambo First Blood Part II is the one i was initially thinking of.
Thanks, Dem.

I'm slightly confused at the moment, there's a lot of work to do.

Obviously I was talking about First Blood. That's where Sly shines during his final monologue.

Rambo is a very nice and entertaining action flick, though.

Like this? Share it using the links below!