Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st August 2016, 09:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

Tombstone. Legendary lawman Wyatt Earp arrives in Tombstone with his older and younger brother and their wives, but he's long since retired from the law profession and is just in town to make a buck, only to find the place is under the control of a vicious criminal gang known as "the Cowboys". Stiil, all Wyatt wants is to keep his head down, make some good money and then probably get out of there - but circumstances soon begin to conspire to make that impossible, and a showdown inevitable... Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer (in probably his best performance as Doc Holliday) lead a fabulous cast (including Michael Biehn, Bill Paxton, Sam Elliott, Dana Delany, Powers Boothe, Terry O'Quinn and more) in this thoroughly entertaining mid 90s Western. I'm not even really much into Westerns in general but this is a very enjoyable film.
Old 1st August 2016, 10:03 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
It was entertaining overall but a little far-fetched whilst at the same time trying to promote the vein of 'realism' that a lot of 'serious' sci-fi films seem to want to do nowadays. There was also the nagging feeling throughout that it lacked emotional depth (the irony here being that it is a film that relies on the emotional bond you have with the characters - Damon in particular - to get properly invested in the story); everything just seemed very forced and shallow. It also seemed a little too smug with itself at times, which turned me off a bit. Some great visuals though.

I also can't really agree on the soundtrack with the amount of disco music Matt Damon's character was stuck with on Mars. I think I would have stepped outside the habitat with my space helmet off long before I started thumbing through the captain's collection of disco hits lining up what to play next.
Old 1st August 2016, 10:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Homicidal (1961)

William Castle classic in which Jean Arless appears to be doing a slightly wayward impersonation of Cristiano Ronaldo.

After a pacy, exciting and remarkably bloody opening 20 minutes the film settles down in the sleepy Californian town of Solvang and things come to a juddering halt.

Just as the excitement levels hot up again the gimmicky Castle stops proceedings to give the squeamish ones in the audience time to leave before he plunders Psycho with an ending we all saw coming a good hour previously.

Old 1st August 2016, 10:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Housebound is excellent Dem.
I bought it about a year ago and haven't watched it yet. Something i'll have to remedy!
Old 1st August 2016, 11:25 PM
Cult Addict

In The Electric Mist. 2009. Bertrand Tavernier.

Tommy Lee Jones stars as a Louisiana cop of some description investigating the murder of a young girl and the discovery of the decaying bones of a man in chains. I can't say if the novel this is based on is any better but the film whilst not unwatchable is a confused mess.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 2nd August 2016, 09:47 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I also can't really agree on the soundtrack with the amount of disco music Matt Damon's character was stuck with on Mars. I think I would have stepped outside the habitat with my space helmet off long before I started thumbing through the captain's collection of disco hits lining up what to play next.
I was meaning in the way they fit the songs to match what was happening in the story, so Hot Stuff when he is in the buggy with uranium, I Will Survive at the end, and other songs which seemed to enhance the narrative.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 2nd August 2016, 11:39 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Basket Case 3: The Progeny (1991)

**1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Last edited by Cinematic Shocks; 2nd August 2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 2nd August 2016, 04:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
Basket Case 3: The Progeny (1991)

**1/2 out of *****
Thats a good two stars more than i would give it.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 2nd August 2016, 07:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Black Roses

A small town take offense to a metal band playing to the youths of there small town, as in their small minded book burning and bigoted town,its the music of the devil and makes those who listen to it into evil murders. Unfortunately for them they could be right as we find out that the band are actually demons and are corrupting the towns teenager to evil. Lucliky for the them we have a literature high school teacher ( who looks like a reject from the village people) who becomes suspicious. Some very mild gore with some nudity and pretty awful special effects that just look like cheap masks you can get in any fancy dress shop. Was half expanded a mask to ripped off and some one saying I would off gotten away with it, if it wasn't for you meddling kids or in this case high school teacher. 4.2/10

Now watching night of the demon. Which just ooze's atmosphere and menace compared to this
Old 2nd August 2016, 08:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Thats a good two stars more than i would give it.
Yeah it’s probably Henenlotter's worst film. I think he might have been burnt out making it having filmed it back-to-back with ‘Basket Case 2’ and ‘Frankenhooker’. Maybe my rating is a tad generous but the film isn't completely worthless - maybe a ** out of *****. It’s a shame because the original is excellent and 2 is a very good sequel.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Like this? Share it using the links below!