Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179653Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th March 2015, 12:26 AM
Cult Addict

Nightbreed - the directors cut

nbreed.jpeg

Ok this is just gonna be about internal feeling about this film.
I like the original version up to a point.(quite alot actually)
I think this version improves greatly upon the original compromised film, a lot of stuff seems expanded upon.
Even though i only watched the dvd version this seems a step up in quality from the old Warner bros archive version.
I haven't watched the original version for a while but this retains all the good stuff and takes away some of the things that used to annoy me about certain characters.

I originally read the novel, and also own the Nightbreed chronicles book that focused on the creature make up.
This new version seems to tone down some silly parts of the original and it seems more focused in general, apparently if you look at the new running time there seems to be 20 minutes added. But that's not all, quite a bit has been removed so there is actually more re-instated than originally appears.

Overall i really thought this version improved greatly upon the original, also it's quite amazing that this re-instated footage is of such great quality that it blends seamlessly with the original. ( this also makes it harder to separate all the new stuff)
The only thing i can say in derision of the new cut is it still doesn't seem to focus on the 'monsters' that much, considering Barker always said he wanted to focus on the monsters as good guys, there is not that much screen time getting to know the creatures.
True the bad guys are all human, but i still think there should be more time spent getting to know the 'tribes of the moon', the porcupine woman is my favourite but we don't actually find out much about her character.
Another thing is that i do kinda like the original ending, Becker returns, and to be honest he is the main villain of the piece so this ending makes sense. The religious guy is interesting but is not as impressive in my opinion.
Probably my favourite part of the entire film is David Cronenberg's character, the first killing of the family is a stand out moment and truly chilling, and as a psychoanalyst it really suits his director character (very thoughtful and insightful, analytical and clinical but with a lust for sex and death ).
To sum up my gibber jabber i liked the original anyway, but thought this was a vast improvement.
Recommended 9/10

Obviously only having access to the R1 dvd sort of compromises my review, but at a fraction of the price of the special Knobs on edition this is still totally worthy of the money in my opinion. My copy was £14 and well worth it.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 10th March 2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10th March 2015, 01:47 AM
Cult Addict

Only lovers left alive.

lovers.jpg

I don't know much about Jim Jarmusch but i likes what i know.
Only really seen this, Dead man And Ghost Dog but really enjoyed all these films.
This one concerns two age old vampire lovers, they live apart but i guess absence makes the heart grow fonder.I get that, i mean over 2000+ years living together probably loses it's novelty value somewhat.
Anyway what we get is a film that focuses on the prospect of eternity, years of ponderance, both the couple are gifted with knowledge, he is adapt at whatever instrument he turns to, she reads everything and can seemingly date objects by touch alone.
This it seems to me is a film that focuses on the realities of the existence of a vampire rather than the basic blood dependance. The feeding moments treat the blood like a drug, which is understandable if that is your only sustenance, it becomes a mystical experience.
Focusing of the overall vampire experience this kinda neglects the bloodletting unfortunately, don't get me wrong i really enjoyed this film but with a bit more carnage it would have been a masterpiece.
Mia whatsername from Stoker and Alice in Wonderland turns up and screws the lovers lives up bigtime, and i kinda wanted more of her character, also i quite liked the geezer played by Star Treks Chekov and would have liked to have seen more of him.
John Hurt appears because he is omnipresent these days,he is great as always.

A great film if you like sitting around thinking about stuff, if you want a lot of blood and shit blowing up you'd probably think it's a load of pretentious shite.
I'd agree it is pretty pretentious but when you mix thoughtful dialogue, nicely shot visuals and a pretty damn cool soundtrack i really don't care because it does it for me.
A Hypnotic experience 9/10

Old 10th March 2015, 09:08 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Nightbreed - the directors cut

Attachment 158933

Ok this is just gonna be about internal feeling about this film.
I like the original version up to a point.(quite alot actually)
I think this version improves greatly upon the original compromised film, a lot of stuff seems expanded upon.
Even though i only watched the dvd version this seems a step up in quality from the old Warner bros archive version.
I haven't watched the original version for a while but this retains all the good stuff and takes away some of the things that used to annoy me about certain characters.

I originally read the novel, and also own the Nightbreed chronicles book that focused on the creature make up.
This new version seems to tone down some silly parts of the original and it seems more focused in general, apparently if you look at the new running time there seems to be 20 minutes added. But that's not all, quite a bit has been removed so there is actually more re-instated than originally appears.

Overall i really thought this version improved greatly upon the original, also it's quite amazing that this re-instated footage is of such great quality that it blends seamlessly with the original. ( this also makes it harder to separate all the new stuff)
The only thing i can say in derision of the new cut is it still doesn't seem to focus on the 'monsters' that much, considering Barker always said he wanted to focus on the monsters as good guys, there is not that much screen time getting to know the creatures.
True the bad guys are all human, but i still think there should be more time spent getting to know the 'tribes of the moon', the porcupine woman is my favourite but we don't actually find out much about her character.
Another thing is that i do kinda like the original ending, Becker returns, and to be honest he is the main villain of the piece so this ending makes sense. The religious guy is interesting but is not as impressive in my opinion.
Probably my favourite part of the entire film is David Cronenberg's character, the first killing of the family is a stand out moment and truly chilling, and as a psychoanalyst it really suits his director character (very thoughtful and insightful, analytical and clinical but with a lust for sex and death ).
To sum up my gibber jabber i liked the original anyway, but thought this was a vast improvement.
Recommended 9/10

Obviously only having access to the R1 dvd sort of compromises my review, but at a fraction of the price of the special Knobs on edition this is still totally worthy of the money in my opinion. My copy was £14 and well worth it.
What is the difference between this and the more expensive 3 disc version?
Old 10th March 2015, 09:57 AM
Cult Addict

Looks as though the first disc is the same, (Directors cut, 3 documentaries and commentary.), second has more deleted scenes, background information and special fx analysis, third disc has the theatrical version included as well. There's also a booklet.
Would be nice, but i can't justify the price and wouldn't be able to play it anyway.
I really like the posh edition's new artwork, this release has ok art,a reversable sleeve ,but its the original (everyone stood in a line) artwork, which i always thought was a bit naff.
To be honest i'd like the full package, but with no other option i'm just happy to see the film at long last.
keirarts and Nordicdusk like this.

Old 10th March 2015, 10:04 AM
Cult Master

Cheers I'm tempted to get the 3 disc but with post it's €80 give or take a few bucks.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 10th March 2015, 10:34 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

WITCHERY – 'Witchery' hails from late eighties Italy and stars David Hasselhoff and Linda Blair. If that isn't enough to recommend it, I don't know what is. It's about a house on a deserted island, the ghost of a movie star, and... well, even though it's pretty linear, I kind of lost track. Suffice it to say that, despite some boring bits, there are also enough instances of haywire Euro-weirdness to justify its existence in my eyes. I was particularly taken with the 'Dr Who theme sequence worm-hole effect' which happens when various victims are sucked into a demonic counter reality / dodgy film set where their lips are sewed together and where messed up hags taunt young pregnant woman by waving dessicated babies around. There's also a fairly obnoxious sex assault initiated by another dude with the lip-stitch problem. For me though, the film's shining moment was a bit right at the end which involves L Blair, D Hasselhoff, a child in peril and a Sesame Street cassette recorder. If I said much more, my mind would melt. 'Witchery' is not the pinnacle of Italian horror, and I sometimes wonder whether it's simple nostalgia which makes these things seem worthwhile to me, but if you're into this kind of stuff you'll probably like it.

COLLAR – Ryan Nicholson is the guy who did 'Gutterballs' and 'Hanger', pretty perverse movies which, along with most the rest of his oeuvre, laid out a characteristically sickly, grimy aesthetic. 'Collar' is his latest work. It continues in the same vain tonally, although seems a little slicker and maybe slightly less 'transgressive'. It's fair to say though that there's plenty of gore and sexualised violence rolling around in the gutter here. It's about a derelict guy who, having been traumatised by a priest, becomes a silent killer with ritualistic tendencies. Just to emphasise that he hasn't entirely got it in for the homeless, Nicholson gives us two villains in the form of middle class hipster types who go around filming bum fights for their website. In fact, there isn't a single likeable character in 'Collar', much to my relief. Visually slimy, the film captures back street vibes of decline very well, although its tawdry mise-en-scene is undercut (undermined?) by lurches into black humour which appeared a little arbitrary. Things also seemed a bit haphazard and rushed towards the end, although for me this simply added to its exploitative charm. 'Collar' will appeal to fans of nasty horror, and I liked it.

NIGHT TRAIN MURDERS – Dug out my old Shameless disc after I realised that I've never actually made it to the end of 'Night Train Murders' – this has less to do with the film than the fact I've always put it on when I've been drunk. I felt I at least owed it a sober run through. Not convinced this Italian rehash of 'Last House On The Left' does all that much for me, but it certainly has its plus points – the awful theme tune, the intensity of its mid-section, and its eye for social criticism. Maybe comparisons shouldn't be made, but I find the threadbare nihilism of LHOTL much more alluring, and NTM certainly doesn't have any of Craven's film's cold, reptilian drive. It's much better made though, and has a sharper socio-political brain – the bourgeoise are shown as both cause and effect of the film's violence. Not entirely my cup of tea, but interesting and well put together
Old 10th March 2015, 10:45 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
WITCHERY – 'Witchery' hails from late eighties Italy and stars David Hasselhoff and Linda Blair. If that isn't enough to recommend it, I don't know what is. It's about a house on a deserted island, the ghost of a movie star, and... well, even though it's pretty linear, I kind of lost track. Suffice it to say that, despite some boring bits, there are also enough instances of haywire Euro-weirdness to justify its existence in my eyes. I was particularly taken with the 'Dr Who theme sequence worm-hole effect' which happens when various victims are sucked into a demonic counter reality / dodgy film set where their lips are sewed together and where messed up hags taunt young pregnant woman by waving dessicated babies around. There's also a fairly obnoxious sex assault initiated by another dude with the lip-stitch problem. For me though, the film's shining moment was a bit right at the end which involves L Blair, D Hasselhoff, a child in peril and a Sesame Street cassette recorder. If I said much more, my mind would melt. 'Witchery' is not the pinnacle of Italian horror, and I sometimes wonder whether it's simple nostalgia which makes these things seem worthwhile to me, but if you're into this kind of stuff you'll probably like it.
I have this on DVD with the title Witchcraft, but haven't seen it in years. I remember thinking it passed the time and was an enjoyable watch, if only for having David Hasselhoff and Linda Blair in the same film. It would have been a different matter if it was a spoof horror, but for both to play it completely straight and the end result not be a complete mess is an achievement in itself.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 10th March 2015, 11:44 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
WITCHERY – 'Witchery' hails from late eighties Italy I was particularly taken with the 'Dr Who theme sequence worm-hole effect'
This reminds me of my viewing last night which was the Amicus production of Dr. Who and the Daleks. (1965) A fun remake of the second BBC Doctor Who story The Mutants. Nowhere near as gritty as the sequel Daleks Invasion Earth 2150 AD It has a cheap British charm all the same, even if Cushing's a bit wet (for want of a better word) as Dr. Who. The Daleks still look great though and you can see why they really took off back then and remain iconic to this day. I'm digressing from my point here though.

On the disc is an interesting documentary about the Dalek films titled Dalekmania. (1995). 58 minutes of rare material, interviews etc. What really stood out was an Italian trailer for the second film. Complete with ropy dubbing, exploitative headlines, green lines of print damage. It all seemed so brilliantly Italian, i was half expecting a Dalek to gut a mongoose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00001.jpg (26.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00002.jpg (23.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00003.jpg (11.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00004.jpg (13.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00005.jpg (13.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00007.jpg (21.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 10th March 2015, 12:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

COLLAR – Ryan Nicholson is the guy who did 'Gutterballs' and 'Hanger', pretty perverse movies which, along with most the rest of his oeuvre, laid out a characteristically sickly, grimy aesthetic. 'Collar' is his latest work. It continues in the same vain tonally, although seems a little slicker and maybe slightly less 'transgressive'. It's fair to say though that there's plenty of gore and sexualised violence rolling around in the gutter here. It's about a derelict guy who, having been traumatised by a priest, becomes a silent killer with ritualistic tendencies. Just to emphasise that he hasn't entirely got it in for the homeless, Nicholson gives us two villains in the form of middle class hipster types who go around filming bum fights for their website. In fact, there isn't a single likeable character in 'Collar', much to my relief. Visually slimy, the film captures back street vibes of decline very well, although its tawdry mise-en-scene is undercut (undermined?) by lurches into black humour which appeared a little arbitrary. Things also seemed a bit haphazard and rushed towards the end, although for me this simply added to its exploitative charm. 'Collar' will appeal to fans of nasty horror, and I liked it.

NIGHT TRAIN MURDERS – Dug out my old Shameless disc after I realised that I've never actually made it to the end of 'Night Train Murders' – this has less to do with the film than the fact I've always put it on when I've been drunk. I felt I at least owed it a sober run through. Not convinced this Italian rehash of 'Last House On The Left' does all that much for me, but it certainly has its plus points – the awful theme tune, the intensity of its mid-section, and its eye for social criticism. Maybe comparisons shouldn't be made, but I find the threadbare nihilism of LHOTL much more alluring, and NTM certainly doesn't have any of Craven's film's cold, reptilian drive. It's much better made though, and has a sharper socio-political brain – the bourgeoise are shown as both cause and effect of the film's violence. Not entirely my cup of tea, but interesting and well put together
A man after my own liver.....
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th March 2015, 01:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Thief (Arrow).

Probably one of the best films i have ever seen.........absolutely superb from start to finish.
Demoncrat, keirarts and Buboven like this.

Last edited by tele1962; 10th March 2015 at 03:41 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!