Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179665Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th March 2015, 01:21 PM
Cult Addict

I thought there was one once, but can't find it.
What was the film about?

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 7th March 2015, 07:38 PM
Cult Addict

Mm...a war film. Bosnia if i recall. Had a guy, think he might have been a sniper that somehow ends up caring for a baby and trying to get this child to safety. Remember a bus full of refugees being stopped by a villain of some sort who executed some of them on the side of road with a sledgehammer.
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th March 2015, 07:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Anyone ever seen the Believers (1987)?
Old 7th March 2015, 09:48 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
Anyone ever seen the Believers (1987)?
Yep, okayish but struggles to decide if it is a horror or thriller which ultimately weakened it for me. Worth a look if you have Netflix but I wouldn't lay out cash to own it.
Old 7th March 2015, 09:53 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Mm...a war film. Bosnia if i recall. Had a guy, think he might have been a sniper that somehow ends up caring for a baby and trying to get this child to safety. Remember a bus full of refugees being stopped by a villain of some sort who executed some of them on the side of road with a sledgehammer.
That would be the excellent "Saviour" with Dennis Quaid in easily his best role.
keirarts, J Harker and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 7th March 2015, 10:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Chappie (2015) - 6.5/10

It's fun and unique (even whilst pinching things from other films), but the screenplay is definitely underdeveloped and has strange pacing issues - however I did like it and will be adding it to my sci-fi collection. I think they should get a talented screenwriter to turn Blomkamp's Alien story into a good film otherwise it's most likely going to suffer the same problems again.
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th March 2015, 10:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Yep, okayish but struggles to decide if it is a horror or thriller which ultimately weakened it for me. Worth a look if you have Netflix but I wouldn't lay out cash to own it.
Seems like I place this film in higher regard than most. Apart from Martin Sheens slight overracting at times I felt the direction and other performances were terrific (This is the same guy who did Midnight Cowboy after all), that it had some genuinely tense and scary moments and I never felt there was a unevenness in its tone or style to it.

Incidentally I enjoyed it a lot more than the slightly more well known Serpent and The Rainbow, which I actually felt had a more uneven style and tone.

In my eyes, a surprising and what appears to be a underrated gem.

8/10.
Old 7th March 2015, 10:53 PM
Cult Addict

I thought 'The Believers' was watchable but nothing special, i prefer 'Serpent' but think the end of the film where it goes over the top ruined it slightly.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 7th March 2015, 11:02 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
Seems like I place this film in higher regard than most. Apart from Martin Sheens slight overracting at times I felt the direction and other performances were terrific (This is the same guy who did Midnight Cowboy after all), that it had some genuinely tense and scary moments and I never felt there was a unevenness in its tone or style to it.

Incidentally I enjoyed it a lot more than the slightly more well known Serpent and The Rainbow, which I actually felt had a more uneven style and tone.

In my eyes, a surprising and what appears to be a underrated gem.

8/10.
The Serpent and the Rainbow deals with a completely different religion to The Believers though they have similar roots and many cross over practices. Both films tend to mix in folk magic practices with religious practice to make better cinema and give a heavily biased view of Santeria and Voodoo to the point it is like trying to explain Christianity by showing a Satanic Black Mass!
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 7th March 2015, 11:03 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
That would be the excellent "Saviour" with Dennis Quaid in easily his best role.
Well I'll be damned. Thats the one, i had no idea it starred Dennis Quaid though. Cheers Mr Them Die Slowly.

Like this? Share it using the links below!