All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th February 2020, 09:47 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Maleficent (2014)

Did this film not have a lull in it where we lose the darkly Gothic imagery and end up in Disney fluffy bunny territory then i might have given this five stars. Fortunately it returns to dragons, fire and magic in a great finale.

Angelina Jolie is magnificent as Maleficent and looks stunning. Is it wrong to fancy the hell out of a red lipped, high cheek boned woman sporting horns and wings?

If only this had been made by Fred Olen Ray or Jim Wynorski
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hr_Maleficent_IMAX.jpg (73.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 20th February 2020 at 10:01 PM.
Old 21st February 2020, 10:15 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Big Bad Wolf (2006)

An enjoyable take on the werewolf genre that has it's tongue firmly in cheek but still has that scare factor.

Richard Tyson adds a touch of star quality but the acting honours go to Kimberly J. Brown as the punky heroine who'll go to any lengths to get evidence.

Not as formulaic as you might expect, Big Bad Wolf isn't hampered by being set at a single location and sports some impressive practical gore Fx.

Big Bad Wolf may not be any American Werewolf in London, Bad Moon or The Howling, hell it's not even Late Phases, but it's still a decent bit of lycanthropic entertainment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big-Bad-Wolf-2006-poster_960_640_80.jpg (97.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 21st February 2020, 11:29 AM
Cult Acolyte

my_bloody_valentine_poster_03.jpg
MY BLOODY VALENTINE (1980)

A midnight spin for the new Scream Factory release.
The movie looks great. The extended cut has all the added scenes remastered in as close as they could get to the original print. All the damage is gone.
Excellent!
Old 21st February 2020, 04:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Maleficent (2014)

Did this film not have a lull in it where we lose the darkly Gothic imagery and end up in Disney fluffy bunny territory then i might have given this five stars. Fortunately it returns to dragons, fire and magic in a great finale.

Angelina Jolie is magnificent as Maleficent and looks stunning. Is it wrong to fancy the hell out of a red lipped, high cheek boned woman sporting horns and wings?

If only this had been made by Fred Olen Ray or Jim Wynorski

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st February 2020, 04:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 222694
MY BLOODY VALENTINE (1980)

A midnight spin for the new Scream Factory release.
The movie looks great. The extended cut has all the added scenes remastered in as close as they could get to the original print. All the damage is gone.
Excellent!
Noted Dave!!!!
Dave Boy likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st February 2020, 05:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Robin Hood: Men In Tights. 1993.

A spoof take on the film Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

Mel Brooks strikes again with his capers with Carey Elwes who looks like Errol Flynn Taking on Prince John (Richard Lewis who has a mole that moves) and Sheriff of Rottingham (Roger Rees) who has a crush on Maid Marian (Amy Yasbeck). This has all the laughs you would expect and a small role from Mel Brooks with some mentions of his other films, fans of his films will enjoy this.

MV5BM2JmYThiOGUtODMzYi00ZmRkLTgzZWQtOTNjODczYjMyMmYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzUwNTQ4MTU@._V1_.jpg
Old 21st February 2020, 07:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's been 10 years since the death of Dracula but the locals are still terrified and believe he is still (un) alive. Two brothers and there wifes visiting the area unwittingly end up at the counts castle and the older brother is sacrificed bring Dracula back from the dead, he promptly turns the man's wife into a vampire , the other couple mange to escape with the help of a bishop/father , the bishop and husband team up to put a end to Dracula . Enjoyable but it has to have the lamest death for Dracula from all the hammer movies. 7.5/10

Vincent Price and his family and friends use the excuse that they are protecting the local population from witchcraft so that they can kill whom they please .

When they attack a group of pagans having a orgy a curse is placed upon the family whom soon begin to meet their deaths by some unknowing beast.

Enjoyable enough if a little on the slow side until the last act. 6/10

Next up.

Last edited by trebor8273; 21st February 2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 21st February 2020, 08:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Jesus Rolls (2019, John Turruto)

Well, I am enjoying it. Great dynamic betwixt the 3 leads (Cannavale, JT and Tatou) and it doesn't hang around. Okay, it won't change your life and that. But thankfully not every film is Yentl

Ahem.

[B]
Old 21st February 2020, 08:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires. Van Helsing (Peter Cushing) is recruited by a family of young martial arts experts to help them return to their ancestral Chinese village and rid it of the plague of the undead, ruled by seven legendary and seemingly indestructible vampires. This is it, folks, the last in the Hammer Dracula franchise, though confusingly it's not actually the last chronologically because it's back to the past and the original Van Helsing rather than his great grandson in the two 70s-set films we had before this...confused? You won't be!

By all accounts, this is also the worst of the worst. So how come I loved it to bits? To be fair, I do have one major criticism of the film, and that's bringing back Dracula, albeit not played by Christopher Lee. Which sounds insane, and certainly comes off that way. Even more insane is that there's zero need for Dracula to be in this movie at all, so bringing him in for 2 minutes played by a different actor seems even more WTH. The earlier Brides of Dracula was a Lee-less entry that pitted Cushing against a different head vampire, and that makes even more sense here given the China setting, so why do it?!?!?!?

But it's really the only misstep in what is otherwise an enormously fun film. I suspect Hammer fans are as conservative as Who fans and just don't like anything that deviates from the norm, whereas I most definitely do. And this bat**** crazy mix of vampire Hammer Horror, quest/adventure movie (with more than a trace of The Magnificent Seven) and Kung Fu action flick was right up my alley. Great fun from start to finish. I'm going to have to do a series ranking when I'm done, and I think this is going to be in the higher echelons!

I have just Dracula 1972 AD left to see. But it's coming. Oh yes, it's coming...
Old 21st February 2020, 08:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Ten Commandments. 1956.

Moses leads the slaves from a tyrant Egyptian Ramses into the desert and given the laws of God.

First saw this in the early 90s on VHS, not a film i'd watch but enjoyed the story and the acting from Charlton Heston, Yul Brynner, Anne Baxter, Edward G. Robinson. The effects are well done done for the 1950s era, with the bright colours, stunning features and great cinematography as well as Cecile B De'Mille at the helm of directing this from his 1926 version. If you can sit through 3+ hours feature film this is well worth it.

moses.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!