Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th June 2020, 09:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 225025
LAND OF THE DEAD (2005)

For me, just an okay movie. The idea of the Dead Reckoning armoured carrier is good and the idea of part of a city fenced off.
I am not keen on the 'thinking' zombie idea. George got away with trying to domesticate Bub in Day Of The Dead but for me this is a too far.
The 'hero' zombie Big Daddy acts too human for my liking.
The make up and gore effects are great as always but for me a step down from what came before.
Yeah, even though it came out at the Cinema, it seemed out of place in the series, more like a straight to DVD release along with Diary and Survival.

It's like The American Pie series having brilliant theatrical releases but rubbish straight to DVD releases.
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 5th June 2020, 09:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Ilsa: Harem Keeper Of The Oil Sheiks & Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark

Ilsa: Harem Keeper of The Oil Sheiks

Dyanne Thorne returns again as Ilsa, this time she is charge of a wealthy Sheik's kidnapped female sex slaves.

Some nice gory scenes and Thorne again impresses as the fearsome Ilsa, she certainly knows how to play this role well.

Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark

A group of teens in the 60's find a book of stories and realize that the newer stories are coming true.

This got released at The Cinema the same week as Crawl, for which I do not know why. It split your target audience and it wasn't even Halloween. Anyway I saw Crawl mainly because the show times fitted in my schedule easier and I believe I made the right decision. This film had a good start but lost it's way 3 quarters in. I found the DVD on sale so it isn't a regrettable purchase but if I had have paid full price then it would have been.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ihkotos.jpg (9.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ssttitd.jpg (9.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 5th June 2020, 09:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default First blood

Had not watched First Blood in quite a long time,so with the new Blu Ray transfer,I thought it was time to revisit this classic...I think that time has been pretty good to this film, where as the second film seems very much in the era of Ronald Reagan and the cold war... Nowadays we would recognise John Rambo's condition as Post-traumatic stress disorder, something I bet the bullish police in the film,wish they knew about before they started tormenting Rambo with a razor... Although you can't blame Rambo for wanting to escape police custody, because there not exactly portrayed as being the most enligntained or proficient at there jobs...Where as soon as Rambo escapes his captors and gets into the woods,he soon show's the cops a thing or two about hunting...As for Stallone, It's definitely a career defining role,and heads above the test of franchise, where he just seems monosyllabic and a bit grumpy... Also you never get the feeling he is in any real peril with the sequels,but with First Blood, the odds are definitely against our hero, well until the police start surcombing to his traps and tricks that is... Let's not forget the late great Brian Dennehy who made these kind of roles his own...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 408px-First_blood_poster.jpg (47.1 KB, 2 views)

Old 6th June 2020, 02:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ghosthouse. 1988. (La Casa 3)

Two Ham Radio enthusiasts trace a signal from a cry for help to a abandoned where a couple were killed and a ghost child with a doll brings doom to the visitors.

Under the pseudonym Humphrey Herbert , Umberto Lenzi directed this chilling tale of a haunted house scenario, I have always thought this film would be a cheap Italian/Amercan film but i did enjoy it. The acting may not be the greatest as well as the writing but the cast do try their best to make it exciting as possible, even a clown with a creepy smile makes it more spooky.

MV5BMjA3NTUyODU4MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTM4NTQxNjE@._V1_.jpg.

Witchery. 1998. (La Casa 4).

A group of people stranded on a island are being sacrificed by a witch who lives in the house they are taking shelter in.

I reviewed this last year on Halloween, bad acting, very poor special effects that were cheaply done even having the red doctor who vortex and the really noticeable fake blood even though it has some top stars we recognise and why did they star in this is beyond anyone's guess but its so bad its a guilty pleasure of mine to keep watching it.

MV5BOTFhYzZhZjItMDcwNS00MTU1LWEwZGItNTcxNjhmMTA0NmM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg

Beyond Darkness. 1990. (La Casa 5).

After a alleged witch dies in the electric chair and witnessed by Father George, Father Peter and his family move into the witch's old house and begin to be tormented.

Even though this has been directed by Claudio Fragasso...yes the guy who directed Troll 2, this was a buy blind for me and have no regrets whatsoever of the purchase. The acting was mediocre not award winning, the plot was decent even though there maybe one or two plot holes in the story but it was enjoyable. David Brandon (Stagefright) plays Father George now a drunk who witnessed the execution and Gene LeBrock as Father Peter who tries to save his family and young son who may be recognisable from Troll 2.

MV5BMjM1NDMzMjY4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTk1NTU2NjE@._V1_.jpg
Old 6th June 2020, 09:23 AM
Cult Acolyte

(JamieR-HK)__LOTR-Fellowship(2).jpg
THE LORD OF THE RINGS:THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING (2001)
(Extended edition)

Epic! My favourite of the three films. These movies are just awesome.
The love and effort that went in to these movies astounding. The scene where Aragorn is in the Prancing Pony and his eyes are lit up by his pipe is how I imagined it when I read the book, and what with Howard Shore's amazing score..
Old 6th June 2020, 02:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Black Scorpion (1995)

A tremendously fun superhero flick from Roger Corman starring Joan Severance as a frustrated cop turned vigilante who dons a pvc costume (Think a stripper crossed with Catwoman) as she goes after nemesis The Breathtaker - a dodgy Darth Vader looking dude - who killed her father.

Far sexier than the watered down PC nonsense masquerading as superhero films nowadays. Black Scorpion doesn't take itself too seriously as Severance bounces around fighting crime whilst driving a cool car which molecularly changes it's appearance thanks to nifty scientist / mechanic Garrett Morris.

I've watched this dvd loads of times over the years. Love it.
Old 6th June 2020, 06:43 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Hellboy (2004) ★★★★

I've been a big fan Guillermo del Toro's adaptation of Mike Mignola's comic book series, he is a director with a love of the weird and wonderful and a visual flare which he always tends to use perfectly when bringing the otherworldly to life in a film.

The film has a great story with some wonderful characters, all superbly assayed by actors such as Ron Perlman, Jon Hegarty Doug Jones, Karel Roden, Jeffrey Tambor, Selma Blair, and Doug Jones, and the blend of CGI and practical make-up makes the characters believable and visually interesting.

It's a movie with heart and humour and a strong storyline which is very well directed and edited so you get to know the characters whilst the action zips along – this director's cut has additional scenes which give greater depth to Broom, and the relationships between Grigori and Ilsa, and Myers and Liz.

As del Toro explains in the commentary that you can broadly split his films into two categories: the personal (Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth) and the commercial (Mimic, Blade), with Hellboy fitting into both camps. I really like this film and its sequel and they both really benefit from the better colours, contrast, and detail on the 4K Ultra HD discs.

– – – – – – – – –

Guillermo del Toro provides a fascinating and brilliantly delivered commentary on the director's cut of this superb film. I love listening to del Toro's commentaries because of the amount of information he puts into them and because he delivers with such passion and humour, and this is no exception.
Old 6th June 2020, 06:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

His comm on Vampyr is a lot of fun.
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th June 2020, 06:49 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
His comm on Vampyr is a lot of fun.
It's a masterclass in how to research and deliver a commentary and a reason to buy the Eureka release as well as the Criterion Collection one.
Old 6th June 2020, 07:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sinbad of the Seven Seas. 1989.

Sinbad and his shipmates aid a young prince to rescue his princess from a evil wizard and seek out Five stones that can restore peace to the city of Basra.

Lou Ferringo plays the hero Sinbad in this tale that's told to a small girl by her mum Daria Nicolodi. John Steiner plays the evil wizard Jaffar decently, may not be the best role for him but he does have the menacing eyes. From start to finish it may not be the greatest action adventure film even with bad dubbing that seems to correct itself halfway through strangely enough. Good enough to pass time away.

MV5BYWRkODQ1MzEtYTFhOS00NzNhLTlkYjQtOWQzNTBjMzkxYWU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjA0MDQ0Mjc@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!