Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:20 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zombie View Post
i often find that a lot of these Oscar winning films are so overated. i also remember the boredom of trying to watch this. and i would rather watch the Last Hunter for a more entertaining Vietnam film.
Coming Home is another one i could never sit through a second time.

I, like you, much prefer the action orientated end of the Vietnam market. Give me the likes of First Blood, Bat 21, Missing in Action and er' Operation Dumbo Drop any day.

The only one of the Oscar baiting films i like on the subject is the excellent Apocalypse Now.
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:21 AM
Cult Addict

Platoon is great

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 23rd August 2018, 10:04 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Coming Home is another one i could never sit through a second time.

I, like you, much prefer the action orientated end of the Vietnam market. Give me the likes of First Blood, Bat 21, Missing in Action and er' Operation Dumbo Drop any day.

The only one of the Oscar baiting films i like on the subject is the excellent Apocalypse Now.
I remember watching Apocalypse Now over 20 years a go. have to be honest and admit that i didn't like it. It was well made and looked great but apart from that fantastic scene with all the helecopters attacking the VC it did nothing for me. and then there was Marlon brando mumbling away as usual.

maybe i might feel differently if i was to revisit it as i was only young at the time and was more into the Stallone type of action films.
Old 23rd August 2018, 11:25 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Kickboxer.

Jean Claude Van Damme plays Kurt Sloane who travels with his brother Eric to Thailand, as Eric is a champion kickboxer who is fighting
in a match with Thai champion Tong Po. Eric is very arrogant and thinks that Tong Po will be a pushover, but he's in for a shock when
he gets crippled in the ring due to Tong po's illegal fighting style.
afterwards Van Damme swears revenge and with the help of a crazy Vietnam vet he get's to learn the fighting style of Mu Thai off a chap
called Xian who trains him. at first Kurt is slow to learn the new ways, but it's not long before he's wittling palm trees with his shins and
out running dogs with meat tied to his waist. And not forgetting his blossoming romance with the foxy Mai Lee, Xians niece.

Compared with Stallone and Clint Eastwood, i always thought that Van Damme was a bit second rate. but he is very good in this one despite the usual wooden acting. and the fight sequences are superb and the training as well.

comedy gold as well at times when Xian takes Van Damme to a bar to test his fighting skills when drunk, and is absolutely hilarious
when Van Damme does his funny dance in the campest looking tank top i have ever seen. and i laugh so much at the line when Van Damme asks Xian why the men in the bar want to fight with him?, and Xian answers, because you say their mothers have sex with mules.

very good film that never fails to entertain and i award 91.6 out of 100.

Old 23rd August 2018, 12:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

National Lampoons Vacation. 1983.

Clark .W. Griswald decides to take his family to California from Chicago, a journey that will take him 2,406 miles but from day one to getting his new car to arriving at California is a Journey they wont forget.

From Writer John Hughes based on his experience on a family holiday, director the late Harold Ramis and comedian Chevy Chase comes a road trip with a lot of slapstick comedy moments that everyone has experienced heading on holiday.

There is some great appreances from Eugene Levy as the car salesman, Randy Quaid as the down on his luck cousin Eddie, Imogen Cocoa as the annoying Aunt Edna that joins the family, Brian Doyle-Murray as the Holiday Camp owner and the late John Candy as the Theme Park Security Guard. 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg man.jpg (46.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 23rd August 2018, 01:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist

REC was absolutely amazing. Finally. Another found footage horror film besides Cannibal Holocaust which gets it 100% right. Sequel was pretty good too, have the other two as well, will watch them over the next few days.
Old 23rd August 2018, 02:09 PM
Cult Addict

The first two Rec films i really enjoyed, the third and forth were watchable enough but didn't really follow through with the found footage element and lost a lot of the original impact.

I saw them a while back now but i'm sure the third one started off found footage then abandoned the idea halfway through the film.
Demoncrat, keirarts and MrBarlow like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 23rd August 2018, 05:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
The first two Rec films i really enjoyed, the third and forth were watchable enough but didn't really follow through with the found footage element and lost a lot of the original impact.

I saw them a while back now but i'm sure the third one started off found footage then abandoned the idea halfway through the film.
I agree with you Nos, Would have been a lot better of they kept the 3rd movie as a found footage, it seemed to have lost the hype and suspense that the previous film's had.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 23rd August 2018, 05:42 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Escape from L.A. (1996)

John Carpenter's long delayed follow up to Escape from New York (1981) is basically the same plot with Kurt Russell's effortlessly cool, battle hardened warrior Snake Plissken infiltrating the island of LA which has been cut off from the mainland thanks to an earthquake, in order to retrieve the President's (Cliff Robertson) daughter from a band of outlaws and rebels.

As with New York, LA is now populated like a penal colony with gangs roaming the semi destroyed boulevards... so far so good!

Sadly this is a film that begins so promisingly (even if you do have a sense of deja-vu) but begins to unravel around the half way point as it all feels too gimmicky and more often than not those gimmicks (The surfing scene, the basketball game) fail to engage and you end up giggling or sighing rather than getting caught up in the thrill of it all.

Come the end, i do tend to think the first half works due to the quality of actor - Stacy Keach, Peter Fonda, Michelle Forbes, Steve Buscemi, Bruce Campbell, Valeria Golino and Robert Carradine - and a game of spot the famous face because we have quite literally seen it all before, with the overriding feeling that although it's fun and quite daft this was a missed opportunity and Escape from L.A. is less of a sequel and more of a poorly thought out remake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51MD03n9SqL.jpg (46.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 23rd August 2018, 06:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sequel to son of Batman, old Bat's is having a hard time controlling his son Damien who's tactics to take criminals down are getting more and more brutal but this has to take a back seat when the mysterious court of owls appear to take control of Gotham and Damien. 7.5/10

Now watching fast and the furious 8( beefcake heaven )

Last edited by trebor8273; 23rd August 2018 at 07:55 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!