Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st December 2023, 01:49 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
This will sound really stupid but it's looks so 90s I was a little turned off hope that makes sense
Give me nineties film over the uninspired stuff we get nowadays any day of the week.
Old 21st December 2023, 03:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 20

Time After Time (1979)

Novelist HG Wells (Malcolm McDowell) follows Jack the Ripper (David Warner) from Victorian London to contemporary San Francisco in his newly invented time machine.

An enjoyable romp with McDowell, almost against type as the fish out of water author in late seventies San Francisco whereas Warner's Ripper finds even more hookers to mutilate than in Whitechapel and quickly becomes known as the San Francisco Ripper.

There are some amusing moments throughout the film such as Wells being thrown out of an HG Wells exhibit at a Frisco museum and clever use of Wells own ideas and writing.

I did think there were certain similarities to 1986's Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home which also pitted time travelers into modern day San Francisco, possibly due to Nicholas Meyer co-writing that script as well as writing and directing this.

I'll finish by mentioning the SFX work for the time machine. The first time they appeared i was startled, i thought there was something wrong with the Blu-ray as strange crystal clear blue electricity effects begin to emanate from the centre of the screen.

Time After Time blends suspense, drama, comedy, science fiction, slasher movies and romance (Wells and Mary Steenburgen - who seems to be playing the same role as she would ten years on in Back to the Future III) into an enjoyable two hour ride.

If you've never seen this grab a copy of the Premium Collection Blu-ray. You won't be disappointed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg time_after_time_1979_original_film_art_a.jpg (26.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 21st December 2023, 04:29 PM
Cult Addict

Great film Dem. Nice review.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 21st December 2023, 04:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Great film Dem. Nice review.
Thanks.

Last night was a first time viewing for me. I got the film as a blind buy. Pleased i did.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 21st December 2023, 07:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Dead End. A bickering family heading to relatives for Christmas find themselves trapped on a never-ending road to nowhere. Ray Wise, Lin Shaye and Alexandra Holden star in this early 2000s darkly comic Xmas horror that isn't very Xmassy. Great atmosphere and I loved this when I first saw it back in 2004, but once you know the end I think it makes revisits a little pointless.
Old 22nd December 2023, 09:40 AM
Active Cultist

Die Hard 1988
Watched this for about the 10th time last night with the oldest. No point doing a synopsis as everyone knows this film and what a great Christmas film it is. To me Paul Gleason almost steals the show playing a typical hard nosed cop with a mixture of irritation and then exasperation as Gruber falls to his death when he says "I hope that wasn't a hostage" . Classic 10/10.
Old 22nd December 2023, 01:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcol View Post
Die Hard 1988
Watched this for about the 10th time last night with the oldest. No point doing a synopsis as everyone knows this film and what a great Christmas film it is. To me Paul Gleason almost steals the show playing a typical hard nosed cop with a mixture of irritation and then exasperation as Gruber falls to his death when he says "I hope that wasn't a hostage" . Classic 10/10.
Despite it being on every year, how good how classic etc it is, it's one of those film I've only ever watched twice and last time was over 20yrs ago.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 22nd December 2023, 02:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

..Another UK double Bill

790f477a-e676-4981-8c17-5a1e171af429.jpg

THE MUTATIONS (1974)

Donald Pleasence experiments on his students, mixing human and plants together..
Really bizarre movie this one. The film mixes both elements of the experiments going on, with that of circus performers story which echo's FREAKS.
Good movie which always leaves a bit of a strange after taste in the mouth.

CHOSEN SURVIVORS (1974)

Random people are taken to an underground nuclear facility and are told the Earth is devastated by war and they have been chosen to re populate the World when it is safe to venture again outside.
They have to fight for their lives when a colony of Vampire Bats find their way inside the complex..
What starts out like a Sci Fi movie soon becomes a survival horror in this enjoyable romp.
Old 22nd December 2023, 02:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
..Another UK double Bill

THE MUTATIONS (1974)

That's one film that's crying out for a Blu-ray release.
Dave Boy and nicholasrope like this.
Old 22nd December 2023, 03:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Give me nineties film over the uninspired stuff we get nowadays any day of the week.
My fav era for films is 70s then 80s.
nicholasrope likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!