Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd January 2024, 06:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Leathal Weapon. 1987.

Lethal Weapon was one of the first in the modern buddy cop genre. Mel Gibson stars as LAPD Detective Martin Riggs, a cop who lives on the ragged edge and who could be suicidal, much to the dismay of his new partner Sergeant Roger Murtaugh, who is celebrating his 50th birthday. Together they uncover a drug smuggling ring that involves a criminal gang comprised of mercenaries and former members of a C.I.A-Special Forces Black Ops unit with ties to the Vietnam War.

The majority of the humour stems from scenes with Murtaugh and Riggs as both of them have a completely different style of policing. Murtaugh is more straight laced and has more of a general regard for following police procedure. Whereas Riggs is unorthodox and wild and will go to more extreme methods. The character development is also good. Riggs in particular is afforded some depth - we learn that his wife of 11 years was killed in a car accident which explains his suicidal tendencies, it perhaps also helps to explain his rather "shot first ask questions later" approach to policing, where Murtaugh has a happy homelife/family and everything goes up in smoke when Riggs come into his life.

Leathal Weapon 2. 1989.

Mel and Danny return as Riggs and Murtaugh, this time dealing with a official from South Africa who is using his diplomatic immunity for crime and getting to take care of Joe Pesci who is under witness protection after he stole some money. The chemistry and laughs between the two main leads is still there if not better when sharing a bathroom. Joss Ackland (R.I.P) plays the big official who thinks he can do anything while his henchman Derek O' Connor doesnt want to be the next guy wrapped in plastic and assistant Patsy Kensit seems a little wooden on her acting in this but does get her kit off. Plenty of action and a great finale of a shootout and fight scene on a boat is well choreographed like the previous film's fight scene.

p9831_p_v8_at.jpg p11738_p_v10_aa.jpg
Old 3rd January 2024, 08:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Sisu

Finnish Film in which a fierce Soldier finds gold and has to fend off Nazi's who want a Retirement Fund. This came highly recommended and was highly violent and it lives to it's reputation, at 91 minutes, it was brisk and highly enjoyable. The leading man only speaks at the end but his silent charisma shone through. The kidnapped girls who the Nazi's were using have their moments when they get revenge.

Switching Channels

Kathleen Turner is the star Anchor for a TV News Channel, however after a Vacation, she gets engaged to Christopher Reeve and it makes her Ex, played by Burt Reynolds jealous and tries to break them up as well as trying to get a man off Death Row. I have not seen this in a very long while and it felt like watching it for the 1st time and I really enjoyed. It was funny especially the irony of the Actor who played Superman being afraid of heights (Wonder if that was intentional)

Next Goal Wins

Based on the True Story of America Samoa, once dubbed the world's worst Football Team and the Coach (Played by Michael Fassbender) who tries to improve them. Again this was really good, the characters were charming and you wanted them to succeed in scoring a Goal. I definitely got Cool Runnings vibes with this Film and I was enthralled.

They really screwed up releasing this Film when they did, Wonka is just killing it at the Box Office, they should have released this in January or February and as this is released by Fox Searchlight, I'm concerned this won't get a Physical Media release (Still waiting and hoping for The Menu lol)

Bruno

Sascha Baron Cohen unleashes his somewhat flamboyant persona and makes a lot of people very uncomfortable and makes them look like jerks and it's funny especially that MMA scene but I do get why he's not everyone's cup of Tea. In a way, it's amazing that he's able to get away with it also best use of Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On.

Starsky And Hutch

Remake of The TV Show stars Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson as the Detectives who are on the pursuit of Vince Vaughn. Snoop Dogg, Will Ferrell and Jason Bateman co-star in a Film that I enjoyed when it 1st came out but whilst it's a decent watch now, it lost it's luster but worth watching every once in a long while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s.jpg (14.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg sc.jpg (14.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ngw.jpg (8.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (11.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg sah.jpg (13.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 3rd January 2024, 10:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Malignant (2021)

My first film of 2024, watched late on New Years Day. Malignant basically began like so many generic supernatural horror films of the the last ten years except this seemed to be an imaginary friend being the killer rather than a ghostly presence, in a plot twist of eye rolling blandness from director / writer James Wan. I was wondering why exactly it was so highly rated.

And then the true killer was actually revealed in one of those bat shit crazy moments that make you laugh out loud as you didn't see it coming, nor was i expecting a blood strewn cacophony of crazy violence.

As the end credits rolled the phrase 'The mind is a terrible thing to taste' was running through my head.

Compared to so much of contemporary supernatural horror - The Conjuring and so on, Malignant is a f*cking masterpiece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (14.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 3rd January 2024, 10:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 31

Evil Dead Rise (2023)

For the most part Evil Dead Rise, as with Malignant above, is a superior slice of contemporary supernatural horror, well acted with decent characters but again as with Malignant, the last half hour puts it on another plane altogether as the film leaves the boring jump scares of formulaic Hollywood horror and finally becomes a genuinely fun film full of Deadite violence and bloodshed.

I wasn't sure how far it would go with it's cast of four main characters. I was sure the kids wouldn't be harmed and the film would wimp out in comparison to the original Evil Dead film which left only Bruce Campbell's Ash alive at the end. I was wrong. The longer the film ran the better it got and i was surprised how it all unfolded before ending in hugely satisfying blood soaked chainsaw carnage in true Bruce Campbell style.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evil dead rise poster.jpg (43.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 4th January 2024, 07:35 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Evil Dead Rise (2023)

The longer the film ran the better it got and i was surprised how it all unfolded before ending in hugely satisfying blood soaked chainsaw carnage in true Bruce Campbell style.
It’s kind of funny I had the exact opposite experience, by the last 30 mins I was wishing for the end haha.
Mojo, Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 4th January 2024, 09:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lethal Weapon 3. 1992.

Riggs and Murtaugh are busted down to beat cops after a botched explosion and still arguing what wire to cut and should have left it to the bomb squad. They are joined by Internal Affairs officer Rene Russo and going after a ex LAPD detective who is stealing weapons from evidence and using them for profit. This is a bit of a step up from the first one, Riggs has managed to conquer his demons of suicide tendencies but still lives on the edge of getting the job done. Murtaugh is counting down the days to retirement and still trying to control Riggs for his out of control ways and fails and Joe Pesci now sporting blonde hair and fancy jewellery and finding a job in real estate. The laughs are still here especially with Murtaugh being stalked, Riggs trying to tame a guard dog with biscuits and some decent action scenes with a bike and car chase.

p13995_v_v12_an.jpg
Old 4th January 2024, 10:48 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (2014)

You know for certain this is a film from the realm of a graphic novel when Jessica Alba cuts off two thirds of her hair in a drunken stupor and ends up looking like the sexiest woman on the planet, whilst i would carefully trim two hairs that get a little long and end up looking like Boris Johnson on a bad hair day.
Old 4th January 2024, 12:58 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (2014)

You know for certain this is a film from the realm of a graphic novel when Jessica Alba cuts off two thirds of her hair in a drunken stupor and ends up looking like the sexiest woman on the planet, whilst i would carefully trim two hairs that get a little long and end up looking like Boris Johnson on a bad hair day.
I'm not sure why I don't own Sin City 2 yet. I do like it very much

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 4th January 2024, 01:55 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Malignant (2021)
I also enjoyed Malignant, a film I thought was better than any of The Conjuring and Annabelle films I've seen, superior to Dead Silence, and probably as good as Insidious, but a lot more fun.

It is completely bonkers and probably better because of the absurdity. The WTF factor makes it even more interesting and engrossing.

I think a rewatch is in order, possibly this afternoon.
Old 4th January 2024, 03:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I'm not sure why I don't own Sin City 2 yet. I do like it very much
I picked it up a while ago on a Blu double bill with the first film. I watched that on Tuesday night.

I have three copies of Sin City now. The Blu, a Korean limited edition dvd with a lovely hardback notebook and art cards and an Australian limited edition dvd with two cuts of the film and the original graphic novel.
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!