All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th March 2024, 05:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Internship (2013)

Starring Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson as recently laid-off salesmen who after somehow getting on an internship at Google's San Francisco headquarters then have to compete with much younger and more technically skilled applicants for a job at the internet giant.

Normally i'd run a mile from a Vaughn / Wilson film, at least back in the 00's when they were at the peak of their powers but i picked this up for 50p at Poundland sometime last year as i wanted a spare Blu-ray case and last night actually bothered to watch it.

I genuinely found it really refreshing even if it is a celluloid cliche. In fact it's practically a remake of American Pie Presents: Beta House (2007) but the two stars are so likable and easy going in this and never irritating at all. Even at two hours for the extended unrated cut which has plenty of nudity and swearing apparently denied it's theatrical release it never ran out of steam and i thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. It's fair to say that Wilson and Vaughn impress with their interpersonal skills and team building rather than anything in the technical area.

The haters will say that it's basically a two hour advert for Google and it's hard to argue against that. On another viewing it's possible i might think it utter corporate sucking shite, but last night i was just in the right mood for this film without knowing it and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-internship-poster.jpg (23.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 7th March 2024, 06:20 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Dune: Part Two

Just back from seeing this at the cinema and I'm so glad that, unlike the first one, I did watch it on the big screen because it is the sort of film that is a completely different experience than when you watch it at home.

I was completely engrossed in the story (and had to be because I've never read the book), the acting from the all-star cast is universally brilliant, and Denis Villeneuve again shows that he is a visionary, a filmmaker with a rare gift for creating astonishing spectacle which is both visually amazing and emotionally engaging.

I don't have time to write a full review right now because I'm having something to eat before going out again.

When the film finished, I was like that kid in The Incredibles who watched the Parr family survive when a plane fell on them and explode.

Old 7th March 2024, 06:25 PM
Cult Veteran

I have the day off work tomorrow so I'm going to see Dune pt 2 and I'm really excited, like you I didn't see the first instalment on the cinema screen and I regret it, but I have watched my 4k bluray 4 times
nicholasrope likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 7th March 2024, 06:35 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I have the day off work tomorrow so I'm going to see Dune pt 2 and I'm really excited, like you I didn't see the first instalment on the cinema screen and I regret it, but I have watched my 4k bluray 4 times
I've seen the first one twice at home, most recently last night in preparation for going to watch the second part today.

Bring on part three!
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 7th March 2024, 07:44 PM
Cult Master

Is it the kind of film where you *have* to see part one before you see part two?
nicholasrope likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 7th March 2024, 07:48 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Is it the kind of film where you *have* to see part one before you see part two?
Unless you've read the book I'd say so, it's a confusing story even if you have read the book. Part 1 is excellent anyway.

Old 7th March 2024, 08:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Is Dune a recommended book?

They have it in Asda now with a new cover at a fiver. Or 2 for ?9. I could get The Exorcist as well.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 7th March 2024, 08:24 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

They have it in Asda now with a new cover at a fiver. Or 2 for ?9. I could get The Exorcist as well.
Loads of people think it's one of the best Sci-Fi books ever written, but an equal amount of people think it's awful You won't know which person you are until you read it haha.

(I love it)
nicholasrope likes this.

Old 7th March 2024, 08:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

I was looking at a copy in WHSmith today funny enough. I did have one many moons ago, not that I ever read it. Was far too deep for me at the time.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 7th March 2024, 10:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Trauma (1993)Sadly her semi romantic relationship with local journalist Christopher Rydell slows proceedings to a standstill and turns an average Argento thriller into a bore fest.
I find that relationship quite touching and a highlight of the film. Sorry. Having said that, Trauma does probably remind me more of a Brian De Palma movie than a Dario Argento one.
nicholasrope and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!