Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th March 2024, 06:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

The Ghostbusters are back and they are dealing with a entity that wants to freeze the Earth. It's not as bad as the critics are saying it is and it does go into teenage angst where McKenna Grace's character befriends a ghost. Again there is the nostalgic throwback of Walter Peck's comeback as well as the possibility of other legacy characters coming back for any potential Sequels.

I just hope that they don't do a Creed and eliminate the original characters.

Turkey Shoot

Australian Exploitation Film that sees Steve Railsback amongst others sent to a Re-Education Camp that is run by sadistic guards who want to hunt some of the Prisoners along with some rich civilians. I've always liked this one, it delivers what is promised.

Surprised this hasn't been released on Blu-Ray over here.

A Time To Die

Traci Lords is on Community Service as a Police Photographer but she photographs a dirty Cop committing Murder and has to go on the run. Richard Roundtree steals the show. This is one of PM Film's earliest efforts and boy this is so boring, it is very slow and there isn't much Action. PM Films have done way better Films.

Darwin Awards

Joseph Finnes is a former Police Analyst with a phobia of blood who goes on a road journey with Winona Ryder to investigate The Darwin Awards (Described as people who improve the Gene Pool by accidentally removing themselves from it) it's a Indie Type Film with the recreations of the accidents being really funny. It's not too bad if you come across it.

Day Of The Dead

George A. Romero's 3rd classic Zombie Film that is still as violent, gory and bloody as ever. It's been said that it ran out of budget, if that is the case, then I believe that it's done them a favor as the tight closed quarters enhance the tension between the Scientists and Soldiers.

And Rhodes's Death is still one of the best.

Escape From New York

New York is now a Prison and when the President Of The U.S.A. lands there, Kurt Russell is sent to rescue him. Haven't seen this in a very long while and it was still entertaining. Issac Hayes plays the lead villain.

Hired To Kill

Brian Campbell is a Mercenary sent to Country in order to overthrow a Dictator posing as a Fashion Photographer with a rag tag bunch of female Soldiers who were Prisoners poising as the Models. This is one of Nico Mastorakis efforts that is ok, nothing to write home about, Campbell is more suited as a Henchman. George Kennedy and Oliver Reed co-star.

Brewster's Millions

Richard Pryor is challenged to spend 30 Million in 30 days without telling anyone nor keeping anything. I've always liked this one, it's funny, interesting to see how it's spent as well as the pathos of people being angry with him for spending crazily as well as being concerned for him.

On a side note, Legend are showing the rather entertaining Gary Busey Film, Eye Of The Tiger

And I need to post my reviews more regularly instead of once a week lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gfe.jpg (14.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ts.jpg (12.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg attd.jpg (15.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg da.jpg (13.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg dotd.jpg (14.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg efny.jpg (10.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg htk.jpg (10.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg bm.jpg (13.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 27th March 2024, 06:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Unseen Movie 36

The Killing. 1956.

Second Stanley Kubrick feature of the day, this time Sterling Hayden (the crazy general from Kubrick's Doctor Strangelove) is planning the heist of a lifetime and needs some cronies to help pull it off, the target is a racetrack. This is filled with crime-noir touches that form an absorbing whole that is hard to beat. The acting is top notch, the scenes are set in gold taking from every crime movie and creating a whole new movie that could not have been done so well by just a few directors from the 50s. Then there's the jazzy score that underlines the action which packs punch and atmosphere that just curdles off the screen and keeps you well engrossed to the end and it's a case of "Ha Karma served you well".

I am going to try...possibly at the weekend is to sit through Barry Lyndon...again, never managed to get all the way through the film.

MV5BNzRhNTI5ZTAtOTNmMC00ODkzLWEwNmMtY2NkMDE4NjIwMWJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc5NjEzNA@@._V1_.jpg
Old 27th March 2024, 07:34 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Giallo (2009)
I've never seen Giallo but would like to. Do you have the DVD or Blu-ray? As far as I'm aware, it's only had high-definition releases in Scandinavia, France, Germany, and Italy.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 27th March 2024, 08:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've never seen Giallo but would like to. Do you have the DVD or Blu-ray? As far as I'm aware, it's only had high-definition releases in Scandinavia, France, Germany, and Italy.
I know you weren't asking me but I own the Scandinavian blu-ray but previously had an Italian bd. The Scandinavian one has much improved PQ over the Italian option. It even has English subtitles for the (very brief) bits of Japanese dialogue near the beginning. So if you were looking for a high definition copy, I would recommend that one.

btw You'll never look at Adrien Brody in the same way again ("Gotcha, ya yellow fu#k!").
Old 27th March 2024, 08:43 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
I know you weren't asking me but I own the Scandinavian blu-ray but previously had an Italian bd. The Scandinavian one has much improved PQ over the Italian option. It even has English subtitles for the (very brief) bits of Japanese dialogue near the beginning. So if you were looking for a high definition copy, I would recommend that one.

btw You'll never look at Adrien Brody in the same way again ("Gotcha, ya yellow fu#k!").
That's very helpful, thanks.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 27th March 2024, 09:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It's the UK dvd release, Nos.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 27th March 2024, 09:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post

If it's so shit then why the hell have you bought it twice?
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 27th March 2024, 10:00 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It's the UK dvd release, Nos.
What's the AV quality like - would it be worth spending extra for a Blu-ray release?
nicholasrope likes this.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 28th March 2024 at 08:54 AM.
Old 27th March 2024, 10:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
What's the AV quality like ? would it be worth spending extra for a Blu-ray release?
It wasn't bad. Certainly better than the dvd releases of Sleepless and Trauma.

As i watched it i wasn't muttering to myself about it looking like a nineties tv movie as i was with those.

If you can get it for a couple of quid on dvd then if you don't like it you won't have wasted money on it.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 27th March 2024, 10:15 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It wasn't bad. Certainly better than the dvd releases of Sleepless and Trauma.

As i watched it i wasn't muttering to myself about it looking like a nineties tv movie as i was with those.

If you can get it for a couple of quid on dvd then if you don't like it you won't have wasted money on it.
That's very useful because I only have Sleepless and Trauma on DVD and am a little hesitant to spend >10 quid on the best HD version of a film I haven't seen and which has received predominantly negative reviews.

I would rather spend a fraction of that on a passable DVD which would allow me to watch the film and decide if I want to upgrade to one with better AV quality.
nicholasrope likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!